Guild wars 2 content update

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Basen.8506

Basen.8506

Any other ways we can show support? Are there any online awards, where GW2 is nominated?

Posted by: Drayden.2318

Drayden.2318

That’s amazing that ANet is going to be dishing out a lot of expanded content for free. I’m quite amazed by the sheer value that GW2 is presenting for me.
I never really had an issue with paying a subscription fee on MMO’s (read WoW) as I was comfortable that I had a stable server and generally good gaming experience.

The fact that ANet has thus far been able to provide quite stable servers, a gaming experience that is far more geared towards my play style (not wanting to invest endless hours for the next great gear) and will be offering expanded content with no additional fees is amazing.

I know some have different opinions, but so far GW2 has been much more fun for me to play than WoW was. I hope that it continues to hold me for the foreseeable future, and even if for some reason it doesn’t, it has already been a much better value for me.

Thief – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

/dances

(( since it won’t let me post such a small post, um… daffodils. ))

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for.

On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road.

We’ll cover a lot of the details on the kind of support and plans we have in place over the next month or so on the Gw2 blog and with our press partners.

We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does!

I love you guys too <3

Posted by: NyghtProwler.9386

NyghtProwler.9386

No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for.

On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road.

We’ll cover a lot of the details on the kind of support and plans we have in place over the next month or so on the Gw2 blog and with our press partners.

We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does!

That business mentality will keep me as a loyal customer for years to come. Awesome post.

Basen.8506

Indeed, great news If all companies had such strategies, the world would be a better place

Posted by: Snaylor.2760

Snaylor.2760

That business mentality will keep me as a loyal customer for years to come. Awesome post.

Why not wait and see how its actually put into practice?

I don’t believe it for one second with a cash shop in the game.

Posted by: Nyxx.8316

Nyxx.8316

Someone needs to get the sand out of his v….a

His vodka? Well, that doesn’t make much sense…

Posted by: Keziah.2653

Keziah.2653

GW1 had a “cash shop” too where you could buy costumes, character recustomizations, name change, character slots, etc., etc.
You can see what they sold here: https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=6065908858&action=toggleCategory&category=4

Aaaaand… GW1 also had free content patches.

True story.

Kiz Nyx (Ele) | Kressida Nyx (Guar) | Phaedra Nyx (Mes) | Ylva Nyx (Ran) | Ghanima Nyx (Nec)
[GCI] Calamitous Intent | Sanctum of Rall

Basen.8506

He plays the game, reads the forums, all while having sand in his vodka…

ALIENS!

Amiron.1067

Weeee yoooo weee yoooo! This is the depression police speaking. We must ask you to please leave the premisis, sir!

Made me LOL There is always a downer in every forum.

Hehehe Yeah, I’m not sure why they have to even speak up.

Posted by: Kingfisher.7213

Kingfisher.7213

You guys rock!

I already feel I got more than my money’s worth with the immense beautiful world to explore, incredible PvP, and server access without subscription fees.

Your future plans blow me away, it’s unreal!

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

Thats pretty much what ever modern MMO does though. It’s certainly not unique.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

This is a fantastic answer. I will be buying some of the online goods, as soon as I figure out how the trading post works

The game is fantastic, and it seems that you as a company have put a lot of forethought in to how the game will expand. I will defintaely be one of your buyers, you made quite a good game!

Posted by: dangerCake.1473

dangerCake.1473

Oh, Colin, you say all the right things!

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

If the expansions are anything on the scale of the factions and nightfall campaigns you can expect huge content to be added. I do miss the mursat though for some reason.

Nyxx.8316

I’m sorry, but which ones? All the ones I know of make you pay a sub… and those that are F2P limit content until you start giving them money. (WoW, LOTR, SWTOR)

Basen.8506

I think few people actually realise this fact, apart from the ones who read the post, they should make an announcement?

Nyxx.8316

I think few people actually realise this fact, apart from the ones who read the post, they should make an announcement?

From Colin- “We’ll cover a lot of the details on the kind of support and plans we have in place over the next month or so on the Gw2 blog and with our press partners.”

Edit:
;-) How do I winky face?

Snaylor.2760

I’m sorry, but which ones? All the ones I know of make you pay a sub… and those that are F2P limit content until you start giving them money. (WoW, LOTR, SWTOR)

Same with this game in the form of yearly 40-60$ expansions. With Lotro I could have pretty much unlocked the entire game for 6 months with the 250 or so turbine points they give you for extra crap.

Anet is far from a saint, they have no sub fee because A) I highly doubt this game would be successful if it had one (I know I wouldn’t have bothered picking it up) and There are many other MMOs that are just as good as this one.

Basen.8506

Same with this game in the form of yearly 40-60$ expansions. With Lotro I could have pretty much unlocked the entire game for 6 months with the 250 or so turbine points they give you for extra crap.

Anet is far from a saint, they have no sub fee because A) I highly doubt this game would be successful if it had one (I know I wouldn’t have bothered picking it up) and There are many other MMOs that are just as good as this one.

I’m sorry but which are actually as good? Which have such a compeling story and great visuals? I’d like to hear some ideas, and secondly why would this game not be successful if it had a sub fee? there are games like WoW and people pay subs for it and lets face it the time it takes them to model a piece of weapons is counted in seconds since everything is low poly, WoW requires less effort from the developers and it’s nothing but a grind fest, where as here you have DE’s and Quests and all in all A LIVE WORLD

Nyxx.8316

Uhm… LOTRO had $40-50 expansions before they went free to play Mines of Moria I think it was? SWTOR is planning on having an expansion that you have to pay for. RIFT is releasing an expansion for the same amount of money unless you commit to playing their game for a year. WoW has released $50-60 expansions almost yearly…

I’m not saying Anet are saints- truly, what company is? But I’m sorry, your argument doesn’t really hold much weight here…

Also, I have to say, I’d pay for a sub. I’m having the kind of fun in this game that I had in WoW Vanilla, and there’s a lot more to do in it than there was when WoW was released.

and sure, there are many MMO’s that are, in my opinion, almost as good as this one. The fact that you’re saying they’re just as good is your opinion

(edited by Nyxx.8316)

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Careful there, you’re threading into subjective territory now. Not everyone thinks those “many MMOs” that YOU play are as good as this one. Not even close.

Snaylor.2760

Careful there, you’re threading into subjective territory now. Not everyone thinks those “many MMOs” that YOU play are as good as this one. Not even close.

Objectively speaking WoW, TOR and RIFT (and a few others) are all good quality games, what it comes down to is personal test.

The only reason I bought this game was because I was getting tired of TOR and WoW and didn’t want continue to sub to either one for the few months that I wasn’t going to play them, if it had a sub fee I promise you that not as many people would play it for years and years.

Amiron.1067

Dude, I don’t know what crack your on, but this game is as good if not better than most subscription based MMO’s out there. And I’m leaning on it being better. Even /with/ a subscription fee, I’d still pay just to play this game. This game is actually innovative, whereas Rift, Warhammer, LOTRO were not. They all followed the basic mindless “Use a rotation for your spells/abilities” mentality. That’s alone is what earns new MMO titles such as “WoW clone”, because they hardly innovate on the genre and just use WoW’s model and add a different lore background.

Guild Wars 2 finally broke the trend. If you can’t see that, I’m assuming your not very good at taking a look at something in-depth.

NegativeNancy is entitled to his opinion I suppose, freedom of speech applies…

NegativeNancy should go play LOTRO, imo.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Dude, I don’t know what crack your on, but this game is as good if not better than most subscription based MMO’s out there. And I’m leaning on it being better. Even /with/ a subscription fee, I’d still pay just to play this game. This game is actually innovative, whereas Rift, Warhammer, LOTRO were not. They all followed the basic mindless “Use a rotation for your spells/abilities” mentality. That’s alone is what earns new MMO titles such as “WoW clone”, because they hardly innovate on the genre and just use WoW’s model and add a different lore background.

Guild Wars 2 finally broke the trend. If you can’t see that, I’m assuming your not very good at taking a look at something in-depth.

GW2 is different – not necessarily better. Gotta keep the hyperbole in check.

Having said that, it’s obviously good that another MMO developer has the drive and possibly the means and ability to compete for the position of best MMO.

(edited by Zeldain.5710)

Posted by: Jameskim.8671

Jameskim.8671

Well said Colin, WELL SAID!!

“You are not welc x5 here, go back to your party”

Basen.8506

I know this isn’t a suggestion thread but how bout adding fishing, or bow practice, games in which people can compete, would be funny if you could play a form of ping-pong in an MMO or maybe just pong

Snaylor.2760

From an MMO stand point it did quite a bit. But from an over all game standpoint it did very little. I look at MMOs how I look at everyother non-MMO I play and maybe thats why I am so critical of it. This game lacks any meaning full story and endgame PvE elements and from a personal prospective the game’s combat isn’t that enjoyable when compared to something along the lines of COD or a ton of other games, for me it falls into the same category as most other mmos in terms of enjoyment.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

awesome. will you guys be looking into the scaling of DE’s? right now, people are facerolling through most of them in larger groups. resultantly, we’re not seeing any of them fail, thus missing most of the hard work you guys invested in the branching events!

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Nyxx.8316

From an MMO stand point it did quite a bit. But from an over all game standpoint it did very little. I look at MMOs how I look at everyother non-MMO I play and maybe thats why I am so critical of it. This game lacks any meaning full story and endgame PvE elements and from a personal prospective the game’s combat isn’t that enjoyable when compared to something along the lines of COD or a ton of other games, for me it falls into the same category as most other mmos in terms of enjoyment.

I think that may be your problem. This game is an MMO and therefore, it will have the mechanics of an MMO (thankfully, because first person shooters make me sick- I just can’t play them)

I don’t think it’s fair to make that comparison, though. If you’re looking to play a first person shooter, play a first person shooter. That’s like being disappointed at an orange because it doesn’t taste like an apple.

The story is actually pretty good too, at least, from what I’ve experienced so far.

Posted by: Thellena.5967

Thellena.5967

I’m looking forward to what they come up with!! I’d like to say that I can’t wait, but I’m only sitting at level 64 with 22% map completion, so I guess that I definitely can LOL

BTW, I remember at one point they’d been hinting that they’d add DE’s and just let users stumble upon them rather than announcing them – which would be both amazing and difficult — difficult because it would be very easy to imagine that there had been no new content… Perhaps a nice compromise would be to have a blurb/patch notes that X number of Events/DE Meta chains had been added and then we could search for them around Tyria?

Which do you guys think would be better?

Basen.8506

Would be interesting if not completing certain DE’s would have permanent consequences on the surrounding environment, but that’s practically impossible, it would be awesome if catapults shots could destroy trees, and after the players would have an event where they could plant the trees back.
Also since we have jumping puzzles it would be awesome if there would be a glider on top of the mountains and people could experience the world from a new point of view.

Posted by: Zayth.5164

Zayth.5164

I have a question! Will you have the new expansions available for gems on the Black Lion Trading Company? That would be AMAZING! We could get them without paying, but a lot will pay real money for them as well!

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

With statements like this I would honestly think you guys are full of it…if it wasn’t for the fact that your game is jaw droppingly amazing lol.

But seriously, I want to pay you guys. GW2 may be my fave MMO ever, and I have played them since UO. I just want to make sure I get more of it.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Trent.3256

Trent.3256

Man I love you guys!

Posted by: Killua.8041

Killua.8041

Personally I’m hoping the expansions will be available for gems, so people that have invested a lot of time in the game and ends up with a lot of gold they do not have use for could potentially receive that expansion for “free” by buying the gems the expansion cost.

O Killua O – Asura Mesmer | Killuas – Asura Engineer
Bookah Protector – Asura Guardian | Trapped Spirit – Asura Necromancer

Posted by: Recalibar.6482

Recalibar.6482

I actually thought about how they could add zones that would require tickets that were purchased through the BLTC. If you look at a map of the zones, places like Deldrimor front, Blazeridge mountains, Woodland cascades, Maguuma Wastes, And the place west of LA could all be explorable. The best part about it is that they don’t have to be 80+ because of the level adjustment.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Pay or free I would love for them to make missions that connect GW1 to GW2.
Just like GW1 is advancing with GW Beyond, I’d love to see some “historical” missions from GW2 bridging the gap.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Xaielao.8510

Xaielao.8510

All of a sudden I’m all warm and fuzzy inside.

hugs for Anet.

Posted by: endless.1376

endless.1376

One thing they said they were going to do was update the DE’s in various zones periodically. They say they can do this rather easily due to the kind of tech they have that is used to create them. So expect DE’s to change and not remain static over the next year I suppose.

Also, it is great that content will be provided for free! That kind of thing takes a special kind of developer to do in my view. That means they care more about making sure the game is fun, rather than doing it to boost subs or sales. It is a very awesome business practice! I look forward to seeing what these content updates are going to be down the road as a result.

Posted by: hongingalls.6980

hongingalls.6980

i am so happy to hear that ColinJohanson.2394 :]

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

Awesomeness for totally free = Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Atlas.3598

Atlas.3598

Great company, brilliant game. I’m looking forward to everything in the pipeline. Keep up the hard work!

Posted by: AdamLiborio.8436

AdamLiborio.8436

I really like Colin’s response in this thread. Basically the perfect way to do it imo. While I have no problem buying content I don’t like being nickel and dimed for small content packs. So the free content updates should keep me interested in the game for a while and then when the expansion comes out I’ll have no problem spending $40+ on it.

I doubt they are going to do the expansions in the same style as GW1 which was essentially 3 entirely separate games which could be linked together on one account. They were each standalone and you could start in any of them you saw fit. I think they’ll probably go more of a classic expansion route, adding new explorable areas, dungeons, and story missions. There seems to be plenty of areas on the visible map that aren’t currently used. Of course there’s the Tengu city, but also areas like Maguuma Wastes, Magus Falls, Ring of Fire, Scavenger’s Causeway, Crystal Desert, Deldrimor Front, Blood Legion Homelands, Far Shiverpeaks, and Woodland Cascades which are all on the current map but as far as I can tell have no explorable areas currently in them. That’s a lot of area for them to cover before even heading to Cantha or Elona.

Posted by: krlosis.2653

krlosis.2653

…the developers need their monthly paychecks and the Gem Store won’t really do that if you ask me

I disagree, if only half of the paid population pays 1 dollar for gems…. Well that’s a cool mill in their pocket. Odds are good the gem store makes them some good cash, due to the sheer numbers already popping up in game.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Colin is da man.

Who else can make players smile almost as blindly brightly as he does?

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Reinholder.3460

Reinholder.3460

You realised you essentially just killed SWTOR…Right?

Posted by: Elethor.2430

Elethor.2430

Coming from playing only sub based MMOs………………..I LOVE YOU GUYS! Just don’t forget to keep balancing out the classes and other stuff Cough, Necros, cough

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

Woah, thank you Anet! That’s fantastic, it’ll keep the game fresh for a long time to come! (Especially at my pace xD)