Guild wars 2 is not enjoyable for me anymore

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Not fun or enjoyable for me anymore.
The art is great, the graphics are ok, the optimization for most system specs is terrible (AMD cpus suffer), the combat is meh, the dungeons were cool in the start – but as with all dungeons once you done it a couple of times it becomes uninteresting, the wvwvw used to be cool even though it lagged but now with more experience it’s just really a zerg fest, PVP hasn’t seen change in a verry long time and it’s kinda stale.

All of this is negative and positive. But it just feels like Guild wars 2 is missing something, something that in my memory other mmos werent missing, it just feels like guild wars 2 is really missing something important, something engageing, something to keep up the interest in the game.

Yes I have taken breaks from gw2, and come back, but each time it only took a day or two before I lost interest and got that boring feeling about the game.

What is it that guild wars 2 is missing?
When I first read about living story I thought immeditly that we were finally going to unlock some new areas in the game, like maybe invade the northern part of the crystal dessert! Or explore the drylands west of the maguna jungles, or even north of queensdale!
But no – Living story is pretty much just a continous quest (which is fine, if it wasnt for…) with bad writing/story.

The main villain(s) of guild wars 2 is the dragons right? I get that anet wanted to build suspenssion to a grand finale of the scarlet story (boring character btw) with something to do with some dragon(s) but it just feels meh right now.

Like I wrote, it just feels like something is missing in guild wars 2…

Edit: not sure if this is the right subforum for this thread. but I think it belongs in the general discussion.

edit2: On second thought, maybe what’s missing is a meaningfull, rewarding and engaging progression towards something, not a skin or item, but a story.

(edited by An Oak Knob.1275)

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

Last time I played, for about 2 hours, was on the Nov 12th after the release of “The Nightmares Within”, and last time I logged in the game was on Nov 26th for about 10 minutes testing out some updated traits.

Watched “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” during the holiday where Philip Seymour Hoffman played a game maker, Plutarch Heavensbee, in the movie who was sort of “a master of the universe”. Maybe Arena Net can get some inspiration.

I still visit the forum because many of you are full of wit and some the posts are funny.

Fire Water Air
FA

(edited by Lord of Rings.5371)

Lord of Rings.5371

What’s missing in Guild Wars 2?

Players.

Fire Water Air
FA

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

What’s missing in Guild Wars 2?

Players.

How so? My server is packed. Perhaps there is simply a lack of awareness not populous.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Lord of Rings.5371

Just by reading the forum, one can sense that many here are intelligent and creative while currently the game is counting on envy and greed to motivate people to play. This is one of the reasons why Guild Wars 2 is losing players.

Fire Water Air
FA

(edited by Lord of Rings.5371)

Posted by: Theundersigned.4761

Theundersigned.4761

Citation needed.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Maybe you should give yourself an interesting goal and try to complete it. Try these suggestions to see if you can add something interesting to your game play (and achieve some bragging rights for yourself):

Challenge in Leveling:

• Level from 1-80 with a character who refuses to wear armor of any kind.
  • Level from 1-80 with a character who won’t use any trait points.
  • Level from 1-80 with a character who only uses weapon skills and one healing skill.

Challenge in Exploration:

• Do a speed run of an area to see how fast you can get 100% completion. Try to get a better time on other maps.
  • Find some people and play a game of hide-and-seek on a map. See if you can hide longer than everyone else.
  • Find a partner and have a contest to see who can collect 100 of something fastest (ores, certain plants, etc).

Challenge in Combat:

• Fight monsters with only an off-hand weapon. See how long you can survive.
  • Go into WvW without any armor or weapons and see how long you can outrun the enemy before dying. Then, see if you can improve on that time.

In a game with this kind of free exploration, you can really make your own fun if you want. Try to think of things to do and then do them. Sometimes the reward is just in the success of doing something.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Not fun or enjoyable for me anymore.
The art is great, the graphics are ok, the optimization for most system specs is terrible (AMD cpus suffer), the combat is meh, the dungeons were cool in the start – but as with all dungeons once you done it a couple of times it becomes uninteresting, the wvwvw used to be cool even though it lagged but now with more experience it’s just really a zerg fest, PVP hasn’t seen change in a verry long time and it’s kinda stale.

All of this is negative and positive. But it just feels like Guild wars 2 is missing something, something that in my memory other mmos werent missing, it just feels like guild wars 2 is really missing something important, something engageing, something to keep up the interest in the game.

Yes I have taken breaks from gw2, and come back, but each time it only took a day or two before I lost interest and got that boring feeling about the game.

What is it that guild wars 2 is missing?
When I first read about living story I thought immeditly that we were finally going to unlock some new areas in the game, like maybe invade the northern part of the crystal dessert! Or explore the drylands west of the maguna jungles, or even north of queensdale!
But no – Living story is pretty much just a continous quest (which is fine, if it wasnt for…) with bad writing/story.

The main villain(s) of guild wars 2 is the dragons right? I get that anet wanted to build suspenssion to a grand finale of the scarlet story (boring character btw) with something to do with some dragon(s) but it just feels meh right now.

Edit: not sure if this is the right subforum for this thread. but I think it belongs in the general discussion.

edit2: On second thought, maybe what’s missing is a meaningfull, rewarding and engaging progression towards something, not a skin or item, but a story.

I think that one of the thinks that you also might be missing i goals to work towards. The living story introduces a grind of achievements but in PvE the only goal to work towards is really the legendary weapon and that requires such a big grind that it’s not really a goal to work towards but a very big grind for gold.

In most MMO’s there are goals to work towards that might be hard but always in sight. Think of a mini’s that drops from a dungeon or a mob (there is as far as I know 1 of that in GW2, the rest are all gem-store / AH items), or a recipe that you can get from a quest-line or dungeon or mob so you can make that next cool item in your craft. In GW2 the crafting has not much to offer except for level 400 or 500 so no next thing to work towards and recipe’s are not really available as a specific drop from a specific place. Same for skins, armor or even the pet-system for rangers (in MMO’s with a dynamic tame system (most famous would be WoW) going for special pets is a goal for many people).

However GW2 seems to have nothing of this. Buy what you want with gold (gold grind) or get it with boring time-gated content (ascended) or it’s so much work that you can’t really work towards is but it also becomes a very big gold grind (legendary).

This obviously has a lot to do with Anet wanting to make money with gems in stead of expansions like they did in GW1.

Something else it also might miss is the homesickness feeling. You know, when you have played an MMO and there are those places where you want to go back to. A sort of homesickness feeling towards those places.

Some games are very good at creating that (WoW for one but also L2 and Chronicles of Spellborn) other are not so good in it. How they do it is hard to say. Many places in GW2 look great but personally I never have had the homesickness feeling to a place in GW2.

I think one of the reasons might be the instanced maps. If I think of those places in other MMO’s walking from one zone into another and then discovering that new zone is a great feeling. I will take WoW as examples because most people have played that. You walked in the ‘ugly’ Felwood and then went into some cave to eventually get out of the cave in a wonderful icy landscape Winterspring. That moment helps you to bind to a place. In GW2 there is a loading screen and then there is a next map. That just does not help so much for that feeling. In addition there are the traditional quest that get you bounded to a specific place and let you learn the NPC’s there. In GW2 there is no connection with the NPC’s and events feel useless because they keep repeating.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

That’s just too bad.

Posted by: Soul.5947

Soul.5947

what i think could help this game a great deal ( at least for me ) is being able to talk in wvw to the enemy, and to be able to see their names. At the moment seeing just x invader or x defender does not give me the ability to make a connection with that person. Did we fight before ? was he good ? maybe i should avoid him or maybe i talked to him once and even though we are enemies we don’t kill each other because we get along. I think this would improve the wvw experience greatly and i don’t even understand why the devs made the system like it is now. This complete anonymity in wvw has no purpose. Maybe 2 servers might come to agreements and make an alliance to fight a stronger server. This would open up the game to politics and intrigue. Maybe one server betrays the other one or maybe just guild does not agree with the deal and they go rogue. Well it’s worth considering at least imo. For pve i don’t know what would improve the game but for wvw this would be a big + and i don’t think it would be hard 2 do either.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You should read the threads in WvW about 2 servers ‘collaborating’, if you think that would be a good idea. Lol.