Guild wars 3?

Guild wars 3?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mintyfreshsmell.1568

Mintyfreshsmell.1568

I know it’s kinda crazy to think about the next game, but I’m just wondering what everyone would like to see in the next game.

- I’d like to see a more fleshed out pve. I personally think they could have used a healer in the game and turned up the AI difficulty in PVE from the start…..
- Tons of skills like in the first game. I never like it when a company dumbs down skill options. Though I do realize that it would be incredibly hard to manage that many skills for a balance team.
- A subscription fee option. I would love that. Being able to support my favorite game while reaping in some sweet benefits like expansion packs or other sweet rewards would be awesome.
- A more engaging story line. Maybe its just me but I thought the storyline and the dragons feel kinda limp….The threat they cause is just brow raising imo.
-PVE content that forces players to enteract. Lets face it GW2 doesn’t really force you to interact with anyone else you want to. I like a bit of forced interaction between players.
- VR support with VOIP. Also on that note when i talk my char’s mouth moves to.

Thats all i can really think of atm…. What would you guys like to see?

(edited by Mintyfreshsmell.1568)

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Anet have to much to fix in GW2/HoT before I ever would even think to buy a GW3. So I will not even make suggestion for GW3. Wait to see if they fix current game first.

;)

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

GW3 is already a ghost town. Any word on how GW4 will be better?

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

all of these things could easily be added to GW2 OP, you don’t need a total rewrite of an entire game for those. Re sub, just treat yourself with gems once a month, thats my strategy

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

all of these things could easily be added to GW2 OP, you don’t need a total rewrite of an entire game for those. Re sub, just treat yourself with gems once a month, thats my strategy

no they can’t. Healer and more skills can’t be added.
Same as PVE content that forces players to interact.

With the way mechanics are in this game it cannot be realised.

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’d like to see a game with no levels. You’d still gain experience and gain new abilities as you progress through the game but there wouldn’t be a single numerical value put on it.

I feel like Anet have come close to this idea in the past, with setting the level cap so low in GW1 (and continuing to gain new skills long after you reach it), and with level scaling and different forms of progression in GW2.

I think it would be fun to have an MMO where people don’t worry about levelling or some arbitrary point that defines the difference between the main game and “end game”, and where you can visit areas in any order (although some would still be harder, because enemies would still have more health and better AI/skills).

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

No levels and no zones.
Just a large world where there arnt arbitrary lines which determine whether the monsterts get tougher or not.
And a world with consequence, ie where the actions of players determine what happens in the world in the future for a defined period.
eg simple example , small camp of NPCs gets overrun by monsters and all the NPCs die.
Until players rid the town of the monsters they wont leave and the NPCs wont come back.

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Which will come first, GW3 or Half Life 3…

:p

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: carrolltech.9215

carrolltech.9215

Local Zones and Heroes.

I really miss vanquishing – It was a endgame winner for me, Even if I had completed I could have fun and gain more faction etc

Blessed Fao – Human Guardian
Faolain Ventari – Sylvari Elementalist
Faolain Kormir – Human Revenant

(edited by carrolltech.9215)

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

No levels and progression based on obtaining more choices in skills would be my ideal GW3. Take the best part from GW1 and improve it. Have elite skills be big and powerful but hard to find and build defining. Not like in GW2 where we each get one elite and most of them aren’t even better than standard utility skills. Crafting your perfect build should be equal parts ingenuity and adventure as you try and find and earn the high end skills you need to complete it.

Don’t implement it in the same way GW2 tried though. Locking every single minor trait behind that sort of Easter Egg hunt was more frustrating than anything. Just the elite skills.

No stats on gear aside from armor value either, again similar to GW1. Runes and inscriptions are fine as long as gear doesn’t become the defining factor that determines what your build does. Make changing your build as easily done as changing your traits. No massive resource sink in getting new gear or having to carry multiple gear sets to support multiple builds. All that does is punish people for experimenting with new builds.

GW2 was a huge step backward in that regard.

Aside from that keep GW2’s more active combat system, but MAYBE slow it down a bit by reducing the availability of AoE attacks and cleaves. If you want AoE you should have to build for AoE, and suffer a loss in single target potential as a result.

Keep dodging as a mechanic. Shoot, IMPROVE on dodging. Maybe bring back Body Blocking (If the new game’s servers can handle it) and allow certain professions like thieves/assassins or rangers to jump over enemies to get to the people in the back.

Make control skills much more rare but much more valuable. Chain controlling someone should involve team coordination, not a single person throwing out a ton of hard control effects one after another.

For PVE make certain maps harder than others in terms of difficulty so the player still has a sense of progression when starting out. Maybe low-end zones are more peaceful with farms and such that get attacked by the occasional band of bandits, but higher end zones are more like Maguuma where the map is layered and complex and everything in it is trying to kill you, with only a few truly safe spots. Without levels there wouldn’t be a power difference between a single bandit in Queensdale and a single bandit in Harathi, but the Harathi bandit would have more skills to use and be more reactive to the player, and would always have a few friends.

For PVP just open the game with more than a single gamemode. PVPers like variety too.

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Kattenpootjes.4291

Kattenpootjes.4291

I think they want to milk Gw2 with expansions like WoW and hope to also reach the 10 year mark, who knows they might release a new original game. Probably a moba cause they really seem to crave for dem esports XD

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

No levels and progression based on obtaining more choices in skills would be my ideal GW3. Take the best part from GW1 and improve it.

Good idea, in theory, but how is progression then determined? Just skills? People seem to love/hate masteries and the whole Metroidvania style, so where would progression come from?

Have elite skills be big and powerful but hard to find and build defining. Not like in GW2 where we each get one elite and most of them aren’t even better than standard utility skills.

First part, impossible nowadays. The internet is much more refined than it was before, easily giving you locations of items and things. Something “hard to find” would stay hidden maybe a week before everyone knows it. As for the second part where skills are equal, easier said than done.

Crafting your perfect build should be equal parts ingenuity and adventure as you try and find and earn the high end skills you need to complete it.
Don’t implement it in the same way GW2 tried though. Locking every single minor trait behind that sort of Easter Egg hunt was more frustrating than anything. Just the elite skills.

Yes, it was stupid and bad, hence why it was removed and we have what there is today.
And to combine the two quotes above, how can an elite be build defining, yet at the same time have equal ingenuity? Either the skill works with one skill, or doesn’t. And then there are the metas, and one skill working TOO well with another skill, causing one to get nerfed, which can hurt other skills…etc…etc…

No stats on gear aside from armor value either, again similar to GW1. Runes and inscriptions are fine as long as gear doesn’t become the defining factor that determines what your build does. Make changing your build as easily done as changing your traits. No massive resource sink in getting new gear or having to carry multiple gear sets to support multiple builds. All that does is punish people for experimenting with new builds.

GW2 was a huge step backward in that regard.

But at the same time, doesn’t this also remove creativity with builds? What about the people who run pure damage builds but use defensive armor (I use to in the beginning of GW2)? How bout an area where you can experiment with stat combos for free, but out in the environment, have to attain it? Part of experimenting is failure and the loss from it.

Aside from that keep GW2’s more active combat system, but MAYBE slow it down a bit by reducing the availability of AoE attacks and cleaves. If you want AoE you should have to build for AoE, and suffer a loss in single target potential as a result.

I agree with this. If you build mostly for AOE, your single target suffers, and vice versa. Same with dmg and survivability, boons and debuffs. I like to think of it like a scale; when one side goes up, the other is going down.

Keep dodging as a mechanic. Shoot, IMPROVE on dodging. Maybe bring back Body Blocking (If the new game’s servers can handle it) and allow certain professions like thieves/assassins or rangers to jump over enemies to get to the people in the back.

Body blocking NO. just no. its horrible.

Make control skills much more rare but much more valuable. Chain controlling someone should involve team coordination, not a single person throwing out a ton of hard control effects one after another.

For rare I’m going to assume by your earlier statement in harder to obtain, which again, it won’t be harder to obtain, unless its RNG based. And there is a whole new can of worms making a skill RNG based capture.

For PVE make certain maps harder than others in terms of difficulty so the player still has a sense of progression when starting out. Maybe low-end zones are more peaceful with farms and such that get attacked by the occasional band of bandits, but higher end zones are more like Maguuma where the map is layered and complex and everything in it is trying to kill you, with only a few truly safe spots. Without levels there wouldn’t be a power difference between a single bandit in Queensdale and a single bandit in Harathi, but the Harathi bandit would have more skills to use and be more reactive to the player, and would always have a few friends.

Isn’t this already in the game? I mean, I know the skills may not all be different, but I feel this is already in the game.

For PVP just open the game with more than a single gamemode. PVPers like variety too.

There are two game modes. A third would be nice, but atm, improve on what they have before making anything new again.

Don’t feel like I’m picking on you, I just saw this was a detailed post and wanted to point at what flaws and problems you need to forsee when coming up with ideas.

In a creative process, the first step is to come up with something cool. Then the next step is think how can it be abused, and finally if it can be done at all.

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Mintyfreshsmell.1568

Mintyfreshsmell.1568

I’d like to see a game with no levels. You’d still gain experience and gain new abilities as you progress through the game but there wouldn’t be a single numerical value put on it.

I feel like Anet have come close to this idea in the past, with setting the level cap so low in GW1 (and continuing to gain new skills long after you reach it), and with level scaling and different forms of progression in GW2.

I think it would be fun to have an MMO where people don’t worry about levelling or some arbitrary point that defines the difference between the main game and “end game”, and where you can visit areas in any order (although some would still be harder, because enemies would still have more health and better AI/skills).

I really like this idea. Cheers.

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Good idea, in theory, but how is progression then determined? Just skills? People seem to love/hate masteries and the whole Metroidvania style, so where would progression come from?

The obtaining of skills through exploration as I mentioned below. Better equipment can also be a form of progression similar to how it was in GW1. No gear treadmill obviously, but have some of the more protective armors a bit harder to obtain. Have weapons with unique effects that are earned in more difficult content. Or perhaps have the higher end equipment be obtained by crafting or going on a quest to have an NPC craft it.

Honestly though, you don’t need THAT much progression. Once you hit max level and have the best gear do you just stop playing? Some do, I’m sure, but not most. Otherwise GW2 and GW1 would both have been dead in the water shortly after release. Cosmetics are an oddly sufficient goal for people to strive toward.

Effectively the difference between a maxed out character and a noob would be the maxed out character wearing crazy golden armor with a flaming sword and a huge kitten nal of skills from which to craft their builds, while the noob would be wearing rusty old chainmail with a chipped sword and only have the basic skills available.

Then just add achievements that you earn by doing difficult content, some designed to be done by everyone and some needing more optimized builds and a great deal of practice, and you have the carrot on the stick for players to continue playing. To develop actual skill at the game rather than better stats.

First part, impossible nowadays. The internet is much more refined than it was before, easily giving you locations of items and things. Something “hard to find” would stay hidden maybe a week before everyone knows it. As for the second part where skills are equal, easier said than done.

Difficult to find doesn’t necessarily mean difficult to locate. It could just as well be difficult to reach. In GW1 hunting the elite skill you wanted required you to fight through groups of enemies and kill a mini boss, stealing the skill from it once it was defeated. You could do something similar, but to add variety place skill teachers in similar areas and set it up so you need to earn the skills either with difficult content or with a small, and I do emphasize small, grind. So some skills are learned by seeking out masters and others by defeating powerful foes.

To prevent people from getting hung up on a specific type of content they are bad at and being unable to get the skills they need you could just make multiple redundant methods of getting them too. Don’t want to completely exclude casuals.

Yes, it was stupid and bad, hence why it was removed and we have what there is today.
And to combine the two quotes above, how can an elite be build defining, yet at the same time have equal ingenuity? Either the skill works with one skill, or doesn’t. And then there are the metas, and one skill working TOO well with another skill, causing one to get nerfed, which can hurt other skills…etc…etc…

A meta will always exist. However the creation of meta builds and the evolution of buildcraft to find a way to counter that meta is itself ingenuity. I personally like to have a wider range of options in what skills I’m taking, as it leads to a more diverse range of playstyles.

The problem with one skill over performing in relation to the others is a problem in every game ever created that gave different players different tools. It wouldn’t be unique to a skill based progression system. And of course, ideally you would obtain every skill your class is capable of using anyway as that is how you “max out” a character. At that point your character is flexible enough to weather even the harshest of nerfs.

Not so in the current system where a nerf to a trait or skill can render your entire build obsolete, along with the expensive gear you’ve worked toward getting. Burst guardian no longer viable? That armor just became useless, and you now have to buy a new set of gear all over again.

But at the same time, doesn’t this also remove creativity with builds? What about the people who run pure damage builds but use defensive armor (I use to in the beginning of GW2)? How bout an area where you can experiment with stat combos for free, but out in the environment, have to attain it? Part of experimenting is failure and the loss from it.

Not at all. It removes the impact gear has on your build, but replaces it with a different kind of variety in the form of more varied and impactful elite skills.

My biggest issue with gear isn’t just how prohibitive it is for testing builds, but also in switching them. As I said in the above segment it’s entirely likely that a single nerf to a skill may render your entire build ineffective, and thus your armor as well. Now you have to endure a multi-month long grind to get a new set of ascended gear.

If you truly want stats to effect the strength of abilities you can also just have a stat spread where you distribute points to different stats that are connected to the character, not their armor. That way if your build gets nerfed you merely need to re-allocate your physical stats to reflect the new build. No massive grind or huge money sink required.

It’s more realistic too. You train your body to be stronger or more nimble, not put on new pants.

I agree with this. If you build mostly for AOE, your single target suffers, and vice versa. Same with dmg and survivability, boons and debuffs. I like to think of it like a scale; when one side goes up, the other is going down.

I agree completely.

Body blocking NO. just no. its horrible.

Every game I’ve played has only been better without the ability to ghost through people to get to other people. It adds a new layer of strategy when you can’t just rush through that stalwart warrior with a tower shield who’s standing in a narrow passage. Naturally this would have to be turned off in towns, cities, and with non-hostiles to avoid griefers in PVE zones.

For rare I’m going to assume by your earlier statement in harder to obtain, which again, it won’t be harder to obtain, unless its RNG based. And there is a whole new can of worms making a skill RNG based capture.

In this instance by rare I mean less of them in the game. Just like the sliding scale of AoE vs Single Target damage, so too should there be a sliding scale of Damage vs Control. If you make a build dedicated to chain controlling someone so they can’t move you better have an ally dedicated to damage because you sure aren’t going to kill them like that.

Isn’t this already in the game? I mean, I know the skills may not all be different, but I feel this is already in the game.

To an extent, yes. But for the most part the game relies on numbers to keep lower level players from exploring areas they aren’t ready for. I was never found of training wheels. If a player is skilled enough to survive the upper level zones they should be able to play there without every creature being immune to their damage output and being one shot by every stray bunny that crosses their path.

There are two game modes. A third would be nice, but atm, improve on what they have before making anything new again.

Two game modes NOW. Three years later. Ideally there should have been at least three on game release. Having more gamemodes cuts down on frustrations with developing metas and “cheese tactics” because each gamemode would have it’s own meta. Don’t like playing against the meta of a particular game mode? Try Capture the Flag instead of King of the Hill! In Capture the Flag fast moving, agile builds are more viable than beefy bunker builds, and there’s less AoE spam.

Don’t feel like I’m picking on you, I just saw this was a detailed post and wanted to point at what flaws and problems you need to forsee when coming up with ideas.

In a creative process, the first step is to come up with something cool. Then the next step is think how can it be abused, and finally if it can be done at all.

Do not worry. I am not offended. Every human has their own view of what they might like, and having differing opinions is what makes life interesting.

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

In my opinion gw3 should be more like gw1.

• Longer story missions instead 1-min-talking-with-trahearne-mission and teleport anywhere else
  • you have to play in group (maybe with a healer). The fun thing in gw1 were the missions and the guild or random groups. we’ve played the missions over 30 times each. The story-missions in gw2 are blring and everytime the same cause of lack of a group (and you dontwant to create a group for just talking to trahearne)
  • More skill-variety for your weapon (but also weapon variety like in gw2). Maybe you get 5 skills for your weapon, but you can change the weapon skills with 2 alternatives. For example you can choose 1 of 3 autoattacks for each weapon.
  • Instead of the class mechanic, there should be an elitespecialization. For example: The ranger in gw2 is a beastmaster. With other elite specializationyou can change the pet for a druid-mechanic or another. I think we will have more variety, it will be easier to balance and there will be no more fights about class mechanics for a class.
Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

(edited by Aleksander Suburb.4287)

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Theres only 1 thing I can think of that would require them to make GW3 instead of something else for GW2 and that would be if they ever decided to go 1 world no loading zones and im not convinced that is something they want to do

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Why do I not want Guild Wars 3?

1. I don’t want to start over again, I have lot’s of characters in GW1 and now I have lot’s of characters in GW2 and I do not want to start over once again.

2. There are still a few more dragons left in the world and we have even more stuff to do in the world. There are a lot of story to be given us in the “era” of GW2.

3. GW2 is a much higher quality game than GW1 and GW2 seems to be more viable for added mechanics than GW1 was. GW1 and GW2 is two totally diffent games so if there where to be a GW3 it should probably be a quite different game than GW2 or GW1, maby a pure hack and slash RPG where you don’t level up but you learn new stuff as you progress in the story. So if people want another WoW clone or something I think GW2 is actually better to be remade in to one than to make a new game.
Though I would never like that.

I am totally fine with how GW2 is and one of the reasons why GW2 was ever made was becouse GW1 was impossible to balance becouse of all the million-gazillion skills, so why would they even go back to that?

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

I like the idea of player built worlds, something like Minecraft.

It would be great because stories wouldn’t be about pre-written lore, the players themselves are the lore. We would be talking about some city a guild built two years ago that is still standing. The bridge a group of players built and named themselves.

Guild wars 3?

Posted by: Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Before a third installment is developed they need to get number 2 right.

It’s boring.

GW1 was memorable and exciting.

Number 2 is uneventful and forgettable.