Guild wars future

Guild wars future

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Brando.3891

Brando.3891

So, I just came to know the arenanet is producing another mmorpg (wildstar) and was wondering how they treat this game. if this game will die i for sure quit arenanet and everything that has to do with her.

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

Guild wars future

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Except you’re wrong.

Carbine Studio’s are creating Wildstar, not Anet.

NCSoft, however, is their publisher as well as ANet’s.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Guild wars future

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Arenanet is not funding them, Anet itself is funded by NCSoft. NCsoft – Producer, Anet – everything else. Now NCsoft is funding Carbine to create Wildstar. %% of Anets earnings (or however they have in the contract) goes to Wildstar because NCsoft can do anything with its share.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Brando.3891

Brando.3891

So let me get this straight, NCsoft is like a film producer and Anet is like the director (as Carbine). Carbine is funded by NCsoft with money earned thanks to Anet, but Anet has nothing to do with this new game wildstar. Is that correct?
if it is, is comforting i was scared that after all the effort that i put in this game they just abandon the game.

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

Guild wars future

Posted by: FuriousPop.2789

FuriousPop.2789

lol who cares… when ESO comes out u watch and see how many servers will still be highly populated…

Guild wars future

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

From what ive seen so far Wildstar is superior to Gw2 in every aspect(gameplay, combat, PvP, Devs) but this is not confirmed, we will see if that is the case in a year or so from now.

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Guild wars future

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

So let me get this straight, NCsoft is like a film producer and Anet is like the director (as Carbine). Carbine is funded by NCsoft with money earned thanks to Anet, but Anet has nothing to do with this new game wildstar. Is that correct?
if it is, is comforting i was scared that after all the effort that i put in this game they just abandon the game.

NCSoft acquired Arenanet in 2002 and, as far as I can tell from the research, they do not seem to be in the habit of just abandoning efforts such as GW2. I have watched their financials off and on and Anet seems to be pretty well positioned in the company. Having another title like Wildstar under development, especially by a different studio, really doesn’t bode ill for GW2, I don’t think. I know some other regular forum posters are much more knowledgeable about NCSoft and their relationship with Anet than I am…perhaps some others might chime in.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

lol who cares… when ESO comes out u watch and see how many servers will still be highly populated…

Except it is subscription based—as soon as the beta is over, I’ll never play it again. Free to play and I would stay.
As for the the GW2 future—unless they open up a a few areas/map (expansion!!!!) with new quests etc for lvl 80s—get rid of the grind and time gated crafting—-add real content/ change the living story to be soloable—the future looks very very very bleak.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

From what ive seen so far Wildstar is superior to Gw2 in every aspect(gameplay, combat, PvP, Devs) but this is not confirmed, we will see if that is the case in a year or so from now.

All good except I understand it will be a monthy subscription pay to play—-no thanks.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Kopipoki.3542

Kopipoki.3542

From my understanding Wildstar is a MMO that focuses are large raids so it has a very different target audience compared to GW2.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

In my view, the future of GW2 looks promising. While ANet have copped a lot of flak over various elements of the LS, their delivery of the Nightmare Tower chapters has shown that they have been listening to and incorporating player feedback into the LS development.

This isn’t the only area that shows that ANet are incorporating player feedback, but it’s one of the most obvious. This, along with the CDI initiative, gives me great optimism about the future of this game.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Considering a quarter of 2014 is going to be dedicated to more Scarlet, I will just wait and see.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You should still be scared. NCsoft can, at their whim, decide to stop funding GW2 and focus on whatever else they wish.

Guild wars future

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

ESO is terrible. Believe me. That game will crash harder than Swtor did.

Guild wars future

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

And btw, NCSoft will fund Wildstar with gem purchases in GW2. Those sales don’t even go directly to GW2. lol.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

ESO will flop hard and it won’t even be funny. I suspect GW2 and other MMO will lose some of their population 1 mo after ESO released, and after that it’s back to normal.

Guild wars future

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

And btw, NCSoft will fund Wildstar with gem purchases in GW2. Those sales don’t even go directly to GW2. lol.

Exactly like how money from other games (Lineage, Aion) went into making GW2.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

True, servers will have a activity drop for the first free month, then when everyone realises how bad ESO is, they will be back. Why? Because GW2 is free and keeps getting new stuff, whereas ESO – judging by all reviews so far – has so many issues and so little time to fix stuff before launch.
Such as – hm, 4 months to launch, how come we’ve seen NOTHING of the PvP or AvA… with combat being so floaty and awkward as it is, how much do you think ZOS will manage to fix in the next 4 months when there’s still SO much left to beta test and the betas aren’t even open yet…

Don’t take this as GW2-fanboyism, but rather an ES fan who’s expecting/fearing the worst of the upcoming ESO launch. They might’ve done well to learn Anet’s mantra…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Guild wars future

Posted by: WhiteRat.5761

WhiteRat.5761

I still enjoy the game allot. That said my guild has about 400 members of witch at least 370 never logged in for over 8 months now and the remaining 30 are only one a few hours a week.

The high pop servers are still going strong but how many of them are new players and how many are old players ?

At this stage though its still hard to see Guild wars 2’s future i for one wont stop playing it.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

I still enjoy the game allot. That said my guild has about 400 members of witch at least 370 never logged in for over 8 months now and the remaining 30 are only one a few hours a week.

The high pop servers are still going strong but how many of them are new players and how many are old players ?

At this stage though its still hard to see Guild wars 2’s future i for one wont stop playing it.

Yeah i have this feeling too that a huge majority of the players are actually new and only few that were playing the game from launch are still playing it

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Guild wars future

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Basically, although I always looked at this similar to book publication…

1 Publisher → Many Authors
NCSoft → Anet, Carbine, etc.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

All good except I understand it will be a monthy subscription pay to play—-no thanks.

Wich means YOU won’t play it, because the only stong point GW2 has against ESO and Wildstar, is that you can play it for free.

From my understanding Wildstar is a MMO that focuses are large raids so it has a very different target audience compared to GW2.

Wrong. Wildstar will feature 20 and 40 men raids, but as the devs stated, only 1% of mmo population is into such big raids, so the end game (called Elder Game in WS) will be monthly updates with quest chains, dungeons and new zones.

Except is not. The game definitely need at least one more year of working on before being ready to launch… However, GW2 too launched way before it was ready (it still isn’t, lol.), so i don’t see why ESO should go worse than GW2.
Besides, ESO will sell a lot of copies because of the name, lots of people will buy it without even thinking twice because it’s the new Elder Scrolls… If it will manage to hold the people in game, that’s another story… But i’m sure not even the whitest of the white knigts actually believe that 3.5 milions of GW2 buyers are still playing the game, right?

Guild wars future

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

It’s funny and ironic at the same time when people doom ESO and other games like WS to fail ‘cos of many bugs, huge amount of fixes they need, while they play the game that has been dubbed “the neverending beta”, i.e. GW2.
Seriously, I am presumably one of the very few who played the game since its release and are still around, and I’ve got to tell you: if it weren’t for the fact that there are no other games worthy of attention atm, I wouldn’t be playing GW2 now.
This game has failed at so many levels that I am truly shocked people still defend it just for the sake of defending it. It’s high time the devs realised the numbers of people won’t be satisfactory in the nearest future, unless they do something “huge” and “groundbreaking”.
@Valanga I read somewhere, at one of the mmo-dedicated sites, that this game had around 120 000 concurrent log ins in the game 2 weeks after its premiere. I mean, seriously, no person with some capacity to reason would believe the are more than 2-3 mln active accounts atm.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

(edited by Corpus Christi.2057)

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Except is not. The game definitely need at least one more year of working on before being ready to launch… However, GW2 too launched way before it was ready (it still isn’t, lol.), so i don’t see why ESO should go worse than GW2.
Besides, ESO will sell a lot of copies because of the name, lots of people will buy it without even thinking twice because it’s the new Elder Scrolls… If it will manage to hold the people in game, that’s another story… But i’m sure not even the whitest of the white knigts actually believe that 3.5 milions of GW2 buyers are still playing the game, right?

Yes, it will probably sell a lot of copies because of the name. Doesn’t mean it will retain those people though. Only time will tell.

Still, that is not first time I have heard such a statement (that eso is terrible), and from people that were in the betas none the less. I had actually considered giving ESO a try myself (the previews looked gorgeous), but my guildie (who I swear plays any game he can get his hands on) was telling me about it. He was in the beta, and since he knows what I tend to enjoy playing, he was telling me to give it a pass. Its not what it’s hyped to be, which bummed me out.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Yes, it will probably sell a lot of copies because of the name. Doesn’t mean it will retain those people though. Only time will tell.

That’s basically what i said.

Still, that is not first time I have heard such a statement (that eso is terrible), and from people that were in the betas none the less. I had actually considered giving ESO a try myself (the previews looked gorgeous), but my guildie (who I swear plays any game he can get his hands on) was telling me about it. He was in the beta, and since he knows what I tend to enjoy playing, he was telling me to give it a pass. Its not what it’s hyped to be, which bummed me out.

I,ve heard mixed things about ESO, clunky animations a shallow combat mostly.
But don’t get me wrong, i’m not trying to whiteknight ESO in any way possible, just stating that selling the game for already death before release, when it will most likely be a hit at least on the first couple of months is definitely dumb.
On the other hand, i’m on Wildstar beta right now and i can tell that the game will probably starts slow and grow up in numbers.

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

But don’t get me wrong, i’m not trying to whiteknight ESO in any way possible, just stating that selling the game for already death before release, when it will most likely be a hit at least on the first couple of months is definitely dumb.

Meh, this is common for any mmo. It happened for gw2, it happened for gw1, hell it happened for wow’s pandaria expansion. Having any type of “positive” outlook seems to be blasphemy.

On the other hand, i’m on Wildstar beta right now and i can tell that the game will probably starts slow and grow up in numbers.

I’ve looked at wildstar. its too cartoon like for me. i played wow for a little while and even that bothered me. maybe im too picky when it comes to graphics. but graphics and story are big things for me.

GW1 is still my baby when it comes to story. Love those cinematics…. Wish other MMOs did more of that sort of thing.. If i wanted to read walls of text, I’d just go read a kitten book.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Broadly speaking this is right. (Although Anet is more like the writers, the director, the prop department, the special effects guys, the actors etc. all in one.)

But the process is similar. Anet came up with an idea for a product (originally GW1) and NCSoft provided the money for them to develop it into a full game and release it. In return they get a percentage of the profits, which they put towards other games. As someone else said it’s similar to the system for book publishers as well.

It is also true that a percentage of the money made by GW2 is currently going to NCSoft, and that they will be giving a percentage of that to other studios to develop or run other games. (Not, as some people claim, all of it, because if that was the case Anet wouldn’t be able to pay their staff, or even rent office space or pay for electricity to run the servers and the game would very quickly cease to exist.)

But it all balances out in the end – there is no way Anet made enough of a profit from GW1 to fund the massive expansion of the company and all the time spent developing Guild Wars 2 so the money to do that will have come from other NCSoft games. And if everything goes well for both games then at some point in the future money from Wildstar will help fund a GW2 expansion. (Or GW3, or whatever else Anet decide to do next.)

Finally there’s no reason to worry that GW2 will be shut down just because NCSoft are making another game. That’d be like worrying that a movie you’re looking forward to won’t be released because the production company are making another one too.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Guild wars future

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

The only game that can beat GW2 is GW3.

R.I.P Kumu <3

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

In terms of what?

Number of active players? There are better games.

Number of awards they game got? There is a better game in 2013, and it’s called Blade&Soul.

Story? There is a better game – GW1.

Quality over quantity? GW2 is the example that puts quantity over quality, i.e. bi-weekly LS updates that are just terrible quality-wise.

So, please, do share your wisdom with us.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Pretty much this. It is really good for the parent company to have the two games that will frankly cover a wider audience than either alone. I don’t really understand the reasoning behind the semi sub system but if it does not work it is no trouble at all to change it unlike what ESO is going to run into.

Guild wars future

Flash.6912

In terms of what?

Number of awards they game got? There is a better game in 2013, and it’s called Blade&Soul.

Quality over quantity? GW2 is the example that puts quantity over quality, i.e. bi-weekly LS updates that are just terrible quality-wise.

There is no way Blade & Soul better than GW2. Blade & Soul is hardcore cash shop pay to win style w/ super OP items.

R.I.P Kumu <3

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

In terms of what?

There is no way Blade & Soul better than GW2. Blade & Soul is hardcore cash shop pay to win style w/ super OP items.

Well, it’s a fact. A guy posted a link somewhere in the other thread. I haven’t played the game myself but from what I’ve seen, it indeed won loads of awards.
But again, please, explain what you mean by the statement “GW2 can be beaten only by GW3”. I’m still curious.

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

In terms of what?

Well, it’s a fact. A guy posted a link somewhere in the other thread. I haven’t played the game myself but from what I’ve seen, it indeed won loads of awards.
But again, please, explain what you mean by the statement “GW2 can be beaten only by GW3”. I’m still curious.

Winning loads of awards doesn’t really mean much, honestly. It’s all based on the personal preferences of the judges involved. It’s no different than a critic rating a movie or a restaurant.

Personally, I know I’ve been to several movies that critics gave poor ratings and felt they were great. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. The same for a few restaurants that were given poor reviews by local critics (and even family members).

It’s all personal opinion, and as such, will vary from person to person. You don’t like GW2, some of us do. To each their own.

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

In terms of what?

Winning loads of awards doesn’t really mean much, honestly. It’s all based on the personal preferences of the judges involved. It’s no different than a critic rating a movie or a restaurant.

Personally, I know I’ve been to several movies that critics gave poor ratings and felt they were great. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. The same for a few restaurants that were given poor reviews by local critics (and even family members).

It’s all personal opinion, and as such, will vary from person to person. You don’t like GW2, some of us do. To each their own.

My question, therefore, still remains. On what basis did the other guy claim “GW2 can only be beaten by GW3”?
I’m waiting.

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My question, therefore, still remains. On what basis did the other guy claim “GW2 can only be beaten by GW3”?
I’m waiting.

Which begs the question… does it matter? Considering it’s only his opinion, why’s it matter?

Guild wars future

Flash.6912

It’s true, everyone have their personal opinion. But it is a fact that the # of sales of GW2 (over 3 mils) is so much more compare to other MMO, except for WoW.

R.I.P Kumu <3

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

I’m waiting.

Which begs the question… does it matter? Considering it’s only his opinion, why’s it matter?

You are posting your words on a “forum”. Do you know the definition of the word “forum”? It’s opinions all over the place. So no, it does not beg the question at all. I am, obviously, interested in what he meant by that statement.

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

It’s true, everyone have their personal opinion. But it is a fact that the # of sales of GW2 (over 3 mils) is so much more compare to other MMO, except for WoW.

So again, your argument that “only GW3 can beat GW2” fails.

I’m still waiting for the appropriate argument, which made you think that it is “only GW3 that can beat GW2”.

Guild wars future

Posted by: Tasty Pudding.3764

Tasty Pudding.3764

SWTOR had rising revenues over the past year. GW2 had declining revenues over the past year. Beware your comparisons.

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m waiting.

You are posting your words on a “forum”. Do you know the definition of the word “forum”? It’s opinions all over the place. So no, it does not beg the question at all. I am, obviously, interested in what he meant by that statement.

Yes, I’m well aware of what a forum is, what it is for, and that there are opinions every where. You could be less insulting.

And yet if it did not matter, you wouldn’t be so perturbed by his lack of answer. For many people, other’s opinions do not matter, thus why I ask if it mattered to you, and in the same breath you answered the why – because you’re interested in his thoughts. Though, by your tone, not genuinely so. Nothing he can or would say would be sufficient, you’re only ‘interested’ so you can pick it apart to point out how he is wrong.

Guild wars future

Flash.6912

Lanfear, I suggest we just ignored that guy Corpus Christi. I just explained everything in details how GW3 will beat GW2. Anymore argument would be meaningless. Everyone thinks they are right on internet nowaday.

R.I.P Kumu <3

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

I’m waiting.

Yes, I’m well aware of what a forum is, what it is for, and that there are opinions every where. You could be less insulting.

And yet if it did not matter, you wouldn’t be so perturbed by his lack of answer. For many people, other’s opinions do not matter, thus why I ask if it mattered to you, and in the same breath you answered the why – because you’re interested in his thoughts. Though, by your tone, not genuinely so. Nothing he can or would say would be sufficient, you’re only ‘interested’ so you can pick it apart to point out how he is wrong.

Precisely the reason for a discussion, as we have two differing opinions, I am extremely interested to find out about his views/arguments. So far, he has been wrong, therefore, I do still demand some valid arguments on his behalf to sustain his claim.

Cheers

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Lanfear, I suggest we just ignored that guy Corpus Christi. I just explained everything in details how GW3 will beat GW2. Anymore argument would be meaningless. Everyone thinks they are right on internet nowaday.

Normally I would, but I just feel like being argumentative today, and since I’m ‘techincally’ working, I can’t log in and bait the troll in LA right now…

So far, he has been wrong,

Wrong, only by your views. By his views they are valid, and correct. Opinions, by their very nature are neither right or wrong, because they are personal. They are based on personal views and experiences. They can be changed, with additional knowledge, but they are not wrong. Thus why each opinion is different, because we are all different. Even those with opinions that agree, they are not identical.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

I will quote you from your initial post:

“ONLY GW3 can beat GW2”.

What you described above in your previous post is how GW3 will beat GW2, not how it is GW3 ONLY that will beat GW2, which presumes the fact that GW2 is unbeatable at the very moment, which is a wrong statement, something I have proved to you.

Either you start paying attention to what words you use, or just stop posting something you haven’t given a though to.

(edited by Corpus Christi.2057)

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

Normally I would, but I just feel like being argumentative today, and since I’m ‘techincally’ working, I can’t log in and bait the troll in LA right now…

So far, he has been wrong,

Wrong, only by your views. By his views they are valid, and correct. Opinions, by their very nature are neither right or wrong, because they are personal. They are based on personal views and experiences. They can be changed, with additional knowledge, but they are not wrong. Thus why each opinion is different, because we are all different. Even those with opinions that agree, they are not identical.

There are two things: opinions and facts/pieces of evidence.

His opinion is based ( I can only hope so, but seeing his level of reasoning it is doubtful ) on some facts/pieces of evidence.
When I said he is wrong I meant that his opinion is not sustained with appropriate evidence, something that I have shown above.

Cheers

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

His opinion is based ( I can only hope so, but seeing his level of reasoning it is doubtful ) on some facts/pieces of evidence.
When I said he is wrong I meant that his opinion is not sustained with appropriate evidence, something that I have shown above.

Cheers

No one every said opinions had to be reasonable. … or even based in fact for that matter. One would hope that a person would have some general information on which to base their opinion; however it’s not technically a prerequisite. Which is why its an opinion, and not a statement of fact.

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

Cheers

No one every said opinions had to be reasonable. … or even based in fact for that matter. One would hope that a person would have some general information on which to base their opinion; however it’s not technically a prerequisite. Which is why its an opinion, and not a statement of fact.

Well, de facto, you are wrong. A pioneer of the theory behind “reasonable discussion” ( something we do here, on the forums – hence why I asked you whether you understood what the forums are about ), Aristotle, clearly states in “Rhetoric” that a prerequiste for a sound discussion is a statement that involves three elements: pathos, ethos and logos. Logos element is what you would call a “reasonable” or “evidencing” part.

Cheers

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Well, de facto, you are wrong. A pioneer of the theory behind “reasonable discussion” ( something we do here, on the forums – hence why I asked you whether you understood what the forums are about ), Aristotle, clearly states in “Rhetoric” that a prerequiste for a sound discussion is a statement that involves three elements: pathos, ethos and logos. Logos element is what you would call a “reasonable” or “evidencing” part.

Cheers

fo·rum noun \?fo?r-?m\
: a meeting at which a subject can be discussed

: a place or opportunity for discussing a subject

Yet, no where in the definition of a forum is “reasonable” discussion a given. It is assumed, but not technically required.

While it is true that nothing is solved without reasonable, rational conversation, that does not mean that all conversations are. Or that all participants will adhere to such. It is only an assumption on your part

Cheers

Guild wars future

Corpus Christi.2057

Cheers

fo·rum noun \?fo?r-?m\

Yet, no where in the definition of a forum is “reasonable” discussion a given. It is assumed, but not technically required.

While it is true that nothing is solved without reasonable, rational conversation, that does not mean that all conversations are. Or that all participants will adhere to such. It is only an assumption on your part

Cheers

Well, you are wrong, again. In “Rhetoric”, Aristotle clearly dwells on the second part of the definition you have given us here – that of “discussing a matter/issue etc.”. And indeed, the requirement ( not an assumption ) is an argument including “logos”, i.e. reasonable part.

It is always a rewarding exercise to get to know the works of such great minds like that of Aristotle.

Best regards

Guild wars future

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Cheers

fo·rum noun \?fo?r-?m\

Cheers

Well, you are wrong, again. In “Rhetoric”, Aristotle clearly dwells on the second part of the definition you have given us here – that of “discussing a matter/issue etc.”. And indeed, the requirement ( not an assumption ) is an argument including “logos”, i.e. reasonable part.

It is always a rewarding exercise to get to know the works of such great minds like that of Aristotle.

Best regards

Which is a work based on the art of persuasion. While it is true that it’s principles and theories can be applied to typical conversation, the average person is not going to be acquainted with such. To the average person, a typical conversation is not a form of art, as “Rhetoric” turns it into. Your point is moot, as we are not dancing this conversation based on the theories and principles of Aristotle. We are not having a philosophical debate here…

Most people would likely simply write you off as not worth their time, educated or otherwise, throwing around such things. You know what they say about people that drop names and use big words simply for the sake of using them…