GuildWars(1) in HD

GuildWars(1) in HD

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Anahiem.2819

Anahiem.2819

I created a thread on the guildwars(1) subreddit about whether or not people would like to see a Guildwars HD remaster and it has gained some footing.

I messaged the support staff about the possibility of a guild wars HD remake and they said they were unsure as to whether or not it was something that would be done but they encouraged me to start a poll on the forums and subreddit to see if the idea gained any support.

If any of ya ever wanted to get them HoM achievements and perks but couldn’t bear the dated visuals, now is your time to have your voice heard and maybe we could even get a console port!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/comments/58q6fq/dae_want_a_guildwars_hd_remaster/

The thread is also featured on massivelyop.com @ http://massivelyop.com/2016/10/24/guild-wars-1-fans-petition-arenanet-for-hd-remake/

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Not sure, but I would love an Android version of GW1 <3

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It would be nice, but Id rather they committed resources entirely to this game.

If it wasnt to the detriment of GW2, then no harm I guess. Wouldnt make me play it any more than I do though since it isnt the gfx that prevent me playing it more regularly.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s not the graphics that stops me from playing but the actual gameplay. No jumping, no moving during casting, no gliding, instanced maps, no trading post, how dead the maps feel without events and how the roaming mobs in their eternal circuits now seem so artificial, to name a few reasons.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I don’t want fancy graphics, I want more GW:B.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Or at least complete one for Elona? :p

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Stiofan.6720

Stiofan.6720

More GW:B would be amazing or a time machine to go back to 2005 xD

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: RedRooster.6073

RedRooster.6073

I am not kidding when I say that I’d drop $250 for more guild wars 1 content.

Ofc it would never be priced at that level, but just saying what a hungry consumer I am for the original gw. For me it’s not just nostalgia. I genuinely like tactical RPG gameplay and still play the game daily. Each party I make is like a Magic: The Gathering deck.

I also prefer the lore. Not sure how to explain the difference but gw1 was more serious, was less “high fantasy” and had a darker overtone to the game.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

It’s not the graphics that stops me from playing but the actual gameplay. No jumping, no moving during casting, no gliding, instanced maps, no trading post, how dead the maps feel without events and how the roaming mobs in their eternal circuits now seem so artificial, to name a few reasons.

That’s exactly how I feel about it. It was fun for its time but that game did NOT age well.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I would love to continue to play GW1, but some of those are limitations I’m just not sure I could get past. Jumping and a live world I think are top of that list for me. If they could remedy a few limitations in the process, wow, yes, I’d love to play GW1 in HD.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

That’s exactly how I feel about it. It was fun for its time but that game did NOT age well.

The game aged perfectly, the game is over 10 years old and still has people playing it, the PvP is probably more active on GW1 than on GW2, its been no secret that a lot of people like the PvP in GW1 to GW2, and in GW2 it does struggle, is that down to the players, or Anets fault?

I seen the topic on reddit about GW1 in HD, and really after thinking about it, I don’t know that it would make any difference, the game would need to many other adaptions to make it even worth playing full time again ( and I loved that game, I still feel its a far superior game to GW2 in terms of content ) but it does struggle in some areas, the combat system is static where you stand in place to attack, people probably couldn’t handle that again, and the no jumping, OMG I don’t know how many times I hit space bar when I was running around the old loins arch, I don’t think I could do without space bar,

Anet really need to keep all there focus on GW2 now, ( sure if some dev or devs wanted to in the own side time update GW1 great ) but GW2 I personally feel is struggling in so many areas, and to take time away from that development for a 10 year old game that probably wouldn’t see the numbers again, is not worth it.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I’ll sell a kidney for the Elona GW:B

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

I think what would make this game great again was if they implemented custom PvP servers where you can change the rules, skills etc. so the highly complicated and complex skill balance could be overtaken by ambitous players without anet having to care about it.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Jockum.1385

Jockum.1385

I don’t think Anet has the knowledge to bring a GW1 HD. Most of the old Anet people have probably left long ago, so it would be a “new” game for Anet.

the combat system is static where you stand in place to attack

You seem to refer to the movement system, which is part of the combat system. Skill usage in GW1 was less static than in GW2 with its fixed rotations, but GW had no dodging.

The less active movement in GW1 was probably a strategic decision by Anet. There are skills which can be used while moving (shouts, stances etc.).
I think it’s a matter of balancing. Perfom an action, be forced to stay still and lose the ability to move. This was important in PVP, because it stopped a healer from kiting. He could kite, but he has to make a decision: kite or cast a healspell.

GW2 struggles a lot with its “permanent movement”. See PVP where players could run in circles avoiding each other all day, if they weren’t forced on narrow capture points. Without capture points GW2s PVP wouldn’t work. A druid can avoid a lot of damage on the huge middle capture point on foefire.
GW2 also has “no movement” skills as 100b or meteor shower, but most skills have no restrictions.

Imho is the PVE movement in GW not even really static. You put more effort into positioning, movement, kiting, paying attention to aggro etc. You do use a speedbuff or cripple as active defence – which you don’t in GW2. But GW requires less fast reactions, except on special builds.

To sum it up: they are different.
GW1 is more strategic, GW2 more actionoriented. Both have their fans. Egoshooter vs strategy game.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Anahiem.2819

I would like to give this thread a bump, the reddit post has gained 256 upvotes!

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

All the people who say they can’t play it because of the non-living world events and static skill usage probably never played it past the first mission. I can go back to GW1 any time and still very much enjoy it. In fact, I went back to finally get my GWAMM and loved it, then did WoC in HM for the first time. I just wish there was more to do that I haven’t done a million times.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

All the people who say they can’t play it because of the non-living world events and static skill usage probably never played it past the first mission. I can go back to GW1 any time and still very much enjoy it. In fact, I went back to finally get my GWAMM and loved it, then did WoC in HM for the first time. I just wish there was more to do that I haven’t done a million times.

I played it for 4 years. I have all 3 campaigns, EOTN, 50/50 in the HoM, GWAMM, more alts in that game than this one, a set of Obsidian armor as well as a number of the other armors and of course a set of fully decked out heroes and mercenaries. For fun and plat, I used to solo farm for ectos.

Are there any other sweeping generalizations about why people say they can’t play it that you’d care to make?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have over 7000 hours in Guild Wars (just on main account), over 32 characters, several copies of all 3 Expansions and EotN, loads of Plat, more minis than I can count, all the HoM rewards, and I don’t play Guild Wars anymore. I prefer Guild Wars 2.

Thus, another example of someone who did ‘play past the first mission’.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

HD remaster? No. HD remake? Maybe, but honestly no.

A remaster wouldn’t help the game much. The enviornment is so sparse. Shined up textures and lighting would just make that all the more stark. A remake, with maps overhauled to GW2 detail would be great…but frankly ANet doesn’t have that manpower at their disposal.

Not to mention, as others noted, the physical gameplay is so frustrating now. Like others, I’ve got all campaigns, thousands of hours, obsidian armor, the works. I love GW1 to death. But every time I go back now I keep trying to jump. The material and inventory systems are lacking. There’s no trading post. It was a fantastic game in it’s own right, but coming out of GW2 it just doesn’t hold up.

There are things about it I vastly prefer, like the tactical aspect and the deckbuilding skill system. I still play from time to time and I still enjoy it. But it would not hold up as a remake. And honestly? The graphics are not all that bad. Take a look again. It’s really the enviornment detail and density that makes the difference between the two.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

I wouldn’t mind an HD version of Gw1, but I don’t think I’ll pay a 3rd time for the game. I really want the content they said they was going to do before they just quit on it. That being said I can’t wait for the same thing to happen to Gw2 when they move on to another project, just abandoning a loyal follower base just for profit.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

I await patiently for the full circle in GW2—-the lore, the Gods, the other continents that made GW what it is: EPIC.
As an original GW player since the ‘beginning’…I love the feel of it, the lore, and the different professions.
GW2 is the next generation of the original…I hope that the Devs realize this very important fact and builds upon the foundation that is GW1-EoTN.

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

GuildWars(1) in HD

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I’m not interested in a fix on GW1 to be honest. I’ve gotten spoiled to bits by GW2’s combat system, and controls. And don’t miss the MTG style skill bar combo setup at all one bit.

I would love to see them remake the story, areas, setting etc in the GW2 version of the engine.

I keep wanting to go back and play some more GW1 to finish more of the HoM stuff, but I just can’t stand the combat system at all any longer. If they released a own DLC or something just with “Pre-Searing Ascalon” as a stand alone with own characters, I’d buy it in a heartbeat, and my guildies would have trouble getting me out of it for anything at all.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

GuildWars(1) in HD

Anahiem.2819

i am just going to bump this thread one last time in hopes that there will be an official response from ArenaNet.

The post on the GuildWars subreddit has gained quite a bit of attention and and is hovering around 275 upvotes.

i actually just bought a copy of nightfall to enjoy the game again (i lost access to my original account and cant remember any of the information (it was under my mom’s email address (LOL)))

i just had a wonderful time playing through the intro as a dervish!

Please venture over to the GuildWars subreddit and show your support!!!