This is amazing haven’t looked at this in a while

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/games.cfm?ismb=1&sCol=rankHype&sOrder=desc

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

GuildWars2 still at the top of MMORPGs list

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I’d take mmorpg’s list with a pinch of salt. It’s easily manipulated.

People who are spamming votes and hyping up a game are spending that time not playing it.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Well deserved, the game just keeps getting better and better. In fact, Polygon gaming went back and updated their review to increase GW2’s rating from their initial score of 8.5 to 9.0.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3728326/guild-wars-2-review-second-coming

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The problem is, it doesn’t tell you how they got that information. Such as how many people voted in total (10? 100? 1000?) and who they are (people who have actually played the games or just random people who might have read about them, for example). Since many of the games had no votes I suspect the number of votes is low.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is quite interesting that when something puts the game in positive light it is not a reliable source, but for some reason every time there is something negative it is always 100% true.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

It is quite interesting that when something puts the game in positive light it is not a reliable source, but for some reason every time there is something negative it is always 100% true.

I can assure you if GW2 wasn’t on the list, you would be looking for more creditable sources and the like and maybe even discrediting the games that were on it. Hypocrisy isn’t flattering.

So the same could be said for the opposite of what you just said.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Bad data is bad data, whether it casts the game in a good light or a bad one. If the data is bad I see no reason not to point that out. I would have pointed out the same thing if the game had gotten a low or negative rating. Accurate knowledge is best.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

yeah, yeah, easily manipulated, of cause wrong, just like the close to 2 years xfire top ten. Why aren´t you guys just be honest and instead of all “your game is dying”/“will die because of game x” Mickey Mouse posts and threads, just write what you really want to say: “I want to see GW2 fail because I feel some imagined slight and would take a grim satisfaction out of it”. Or open that thread, so all of you can join and we have a nice contained zone for you.

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

Well, there are no really good MMOs around anyway, so that’s why gw2 is on top and maybe it deserves it, but that doesn’t mean it’s a great game. A lot of stuff needs to be improved and changed… It’s a good game, but no way near my list of top games…

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Confirmation Bias FTW.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Azure Prower.8701

Problem is with your sarcastic blanket statement. I’ve been on the mmorpg.com site for a long, long, loooong time. Before Guild Wars 2 was announced even.

The voting system on that site has little more merit than you spamming “Guild Wars 2 is awesome” 1,000 times with a macro function.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The voting system on that site has little more merit than you spamming “Guild Wars 2 is awesome” 1,000 times with a macro function.

I am fully aware how the system works.
But what I am questioning is that if people would have claimed the same if GW2 had dropped 10 spots the last lets say 2 months or if it had been acceptable as a good source in that case.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Azure Prower.8701

But what I am questioning is that if people would have claimed the same if GW2 had dropped 10 spots the last lets say 2 months or if it had been acceptable as a good source in that case.

It would have the same merit as it is in its current position.

If you’re looking for valid praise for the game. There are plenty of examples such as the awards given for SAB. That was well deserved.

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Seems like score is kind of low. I would give GW2 9.5/10.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Maybe people are getting tired of the same old rehash we’re presented with each MMO released, so today’s MMO scored are much lower. The genre hasn’t had any fresh ideas in years, and for all its flaws, GW2 has certainly aged better than most of its contemporaries.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The Secret World, Final Fantasy XIV and Guild Wars 2 are all “exchanging” fist place on mmorpg.com regularly. All three games are very close, you could argue they have the same score!

Although the scoring system isn’t the best around, it DOES show that these 3 MMORPGs have something that the others do not.

Scores are easily manipulated when a game is released and during the first few months, after they get a few hundred ratings it’s not as easy to manipulate anymore.

All I can say is that those 3 top games are the best MMORPGs out there at the moment, for different reasons each.

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

Well, there are no really good MMOs around anyway, so that’s why gw2 is on top and maybe it deserves it, but that doesn’t mean it’s a great game. A lot of stuff needs to be improved and changed… It’s a good game, but no way near my list of top games

there are no really good games around in general not just MMOs.

but also after playing GW2 for a year and a half and considering myself a gamer for 25 years, i can say with confidence that GW2 is on the top of my list.

ANet did a great job in this game that i recommend them as an example to other gaming studios.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Well deserved, the game just keeps getting better and better. In fact, Polygon gaming went back and updated their review to increase GW2’s rating from their initial score of 8.5 to 9.0.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3728326/guild-wars-2-review-second-coming

Not sure who Polygon is but imho the game got worse with the patches, LS, more gold-grind and more cash-shop focus related stuff.

For sure we also did see some improvements. SAB is a nice content that keeps returning, we can finally see ‘last online’ in the guild and so on. But overall and mainly because of the cash-shop focus and the LS (what are related) to me the game is in worse shape then it was at release.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

GW2 isn’t necessarily that good, but it does make other MMOs look bad.

Posted by: Luke.4562

Luke.4562

GW2 getting better and better?
After 19 Months the actual development is still slow and pointless..
Please.. Make difference between what’s good and what makes you think its good just because it stimulates your farm addiction.
This is extremely offensive towards actual good games.

ALPHA, BETA, several months, … 1 Year later…“When it’s ready”[cit.]

(edited by Luke.4562)

Posted by: Stefanos.1673

Stefanos.1673

Seriously? Is there even a single person that thinks a half baked Korean MMO will even touch the production qualities of an American or European MMO title? Grow up, kids. This is the real world.

As for the matter at hand, I ’d say that Guild Wars 2 is by far the best MMO on the market atm. However, there is still some work to be done before it can deserve the perfect 10. Standing at 9 for me now with the rest MMOs being at 7.5 and down.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

production qualities

-poorly optimization engine,

-poor class balance (heyo bunker condi spammers i in pvp)

-broken pve (just stack and dps)

-lack of features (no dueling in 2014 you f. kidding me? Also where is GvG in so called “guild wars”? I can continue but its pointless.)

-1 pvp mode, and on top of that the most boring ever

-no updates at all (i won’t call a temp contest a update which i don’t even have access to after 2 weeks.)

-no build varienty

-tons of useless skills/traits

-huge grind in “no grind game” even koreans (decent) mmos arent that grindy.

-stretched armors on charr/asura with tons of clipping issues, which are ignored to THIS day.

And everyday its getting worse and worse. Im sorry, what you said? Quality?

Attachments:

serialkicker.5274

there are no really good games around in general not just MMOs.

but also after playing GW2 for a year and a half and considering myself a gamer for 25 years, i can say with confidence that GW2 is on the top of my list.

ANet did a great job in this game that i recommend them as an example to other gaming studios.

Yeah, agree, not many good games around lately. And also, like I said, gw2 is good game and maybe the best mmo (that’s why I play it and not other mmo obviously), but there are so many cons and those are the big ones. At least for me. And unfortunely it doesn’t seems like it’s getting better. Few examples (performance, balance, bugs, perma content and a lot more ofc).

serialkicker.5274

production qualities

-lack of features (no dueling in 2014 you f. kidding me? Also where is GvG in so called “guild wars”? I can continue but its pointless.)

-no updates at all (i won’t call a temp contest a update which i don’t even have access to after 2 weeks.)

-no build varienty

-stretched armors on charr/asura with tons of clipping issues, which are ignored to THIS day.

Sad, but true. A lot of stuff is getting ignored for way too long now…

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

GW2 is the best B2P MMO on the market. No content updates? Then vote with your wallet and don’t put a penny/cent into the gem store.

I still don’t understand why people compare this to P2P games and whine about infrequent content updates.

For now, China launch was the focus. Now that that is done, we may see some content in the works. Again, vote with your wallet and don’t “pay” to play if you are not getting any content for your money. If gem buyers start to diminish, they will soon pump out content to bring people back.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The thing with review sites is that they hardly ever have time to truly delve into a game. So the issues that veteran gamers have, like those with the mega server for example, never get shown in the reviews.

Of course Guild Wars 2 is a great game, with many innovative features, and a great storyline when you first unpack it. But that’s also because the half-finished, buggy stuff doesn’t show up until at least level 60 or so. Or the fact that in order to truly depreciate the Living Story, you’d have to be playing it from the start.

I still don’t understand why people compare this to P2P games and whine about infrequent content updates.

It’s actually the opposite. People were getting sick and tired of the biweekly updates.

If gem buyers start to diminish, they will soon pump out content to bring people back.

It’s the quality that’s lacking, not the quantity. They just added a feature patch, but it was either half-complete (MegaServer) or not what the players wanted (lack-of-) skill balance).

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

(edited by ThiBash.5634)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

production qualities

You must’ve been playing something else than a Korean mmo.

Least in gw2 the grind is optional, Korean its mandatory.

Devata.6589

production qualities

Thats not an excuse. It’s a game so it’s completely mandatory just as the Korean games.

You probably refer to stats grind vs cosmetics but maybe I don’t care so much about stats and more about cosmetics (especially since this game is so much based on cosmetics).

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

His basically saying those number are pointless. Which it is.

That being said, I’m sure many people would vote for GW2. The GW franchise have draw many happy players. I suppose the more lenient gear grind, and buy to play model have captured quite many players.

But at the same time, There are many angry GW1 veteran not happy at the direction GW2 is heading. I see some pretty unhappy crowd on the mmorpg.com forum from former GW1 players.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Joote.4081

Joote.4081

I always come back to Guild wars 2, because it’s simply the best, better than all the rest. Oh yeah baby!

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

production qualities

Thats not an exccontent ‘s a game so it’s completely optional just as the Korean games.

You probably refer to stats grind vs cosmetics but maybe I don’t care so much about stats and more about cosmetics (especially since this game is so much based on cosmetics).

Yes, only the cosmetics are a grind. But not the game play, zones, etc. You are not locked out from any of it at 80 (cept high lv fractals). And somehow I see that’s whAt a net meant by ‘no grind’. No grinding through dungeons to get the proper gear to grind through raids, to constantly grind through raid bosses to get the gear to beat the final boss, then see the ending cutscene or something. That was WoW and people kittened so much that eventually LFR came out, because people didn’t care for the challenge or grind, they just wanted to experience the content.

Hence gw2. Easy to get max gear (excluding ascended). And not locked out from content. But I you want a look to stand out? Grind baby grind.

Devata.6589

production qualities

Thats not an exccontent ‘s a game so it’s completely optional just as the Korean games.

Yes, only the cosmetics are a grind. But not the game play, zones, etc. You are not locked out from any of it at 80 (cept high lv fractals). And somehow I see that’s whAt a net meant by ‘no grind’. No grinding through dungeons to get the proper gear to grind through raids, to constantly grind through raid bosses to get the gear to beat the final boss, then see the ending cutscene or something. That was WoW and people kittened so much that eventually LFR came out, because people didn’t care for the challenge or grind, they just wanted to experience the content.

Hence gw2. Easy to get max gear (excluding ascended). And not locked out from content. But I you want a look to stand out? Grind baby grind.

I don’t care about max stats, also not in WoW. Just like to go hunt down mini’s or cool skins or cool dyes, that IS my game-play. But you can’t. It’s all grinding gold grinding gold and more grinding gold.

Anyway, nice that you do agree that the game indeed is a grind. Not all elements but it for sure has a huge grind if you play the game for what it is all based up on.. skins and fluff.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

production qualities

I don’t care about max stats, also not in WoW. Just like to go hunt down mini’s or cool skins or cool dyes, that IS my game-play. But you can’t. It’s all grinding gold grinding gold and more grinding gold.

Anyway, nice that you do agree that the game indeed is a grind. Not all elements but it for sure has a huge grind if you play the game for what it is all based up on.. skins and fluff.

Don’t know how the situation in WoW is, however when i played Everquest 2 the problem was you first needed to grind the high stats gear so that you could grind for the even higher stats gear, since most of the cool skins were also only available at the higher raids, and ofc everything was bind on pickup, so no chance to get that stuff without first go to gearing up 10-20 times or whatever.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Hystery.8415

Hystery.8415

Also where is GvG in so called “guild wars”? I can continue but its pointless.)

Yeah, okay. I see a lot of people saying that. But with a bit of researches you would know that the title Guild Wars actually comes from the lore of the game itself. After the fall of Orr, humans gathered in guilds, and fought each others, this period of the time line called the Guild Wars. You are welcome.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest.

Piken Square RPer ~ Growl Bladeskin (Charr, Zerk Warrior 80) |
Aelius Brightmane (Charr, Zerk Grenade Engineer, 80) |
Tilaw Stainsoul (Charr, Zerk Staff Elementalist, 80) | Evi Shadowstep (Charr, Zerk Ranger 80) |

Devata.6589

production qualities

Don’t know how the situation in WoW is, however when i played Everquest 2 the problem was you first needed to grind the high stats gear so that you could grind for the even higher stats gear, since most of the cool skins were also only available at the higher raids, and ofc everything was bind on pickup, so no chance to get that stuff without first go to gearing up 10-20 times or whatever.

Never payed EQ2. I do know that in WoW some of those skins might be locked behind such content (because it’s spread out over the game so likely also behind those high level raids). However I do know that at least up to those high level raids you just level up and get gear at the same time.. while being busy hunting down those mini’s or whatever you are going for. Never had the problem that I had to grind for gear to get the skin. But it’s possible that some are behind such content. By far most are not, that I do know. Besides that, many of those items are not account-bound so people can sell and buy them. However then it would cost you a lot of gold of course. But for those who love to grind gold thats still an option for many / most items.

Devata.6589

Also where is GvG in so called “guild wars”? I can continue but its pointless.)

Yeah, okay. I see a lot of people saying that. But with a bit of researches you would know that the title Guild Wars actually comes from the lore of the game itself. After the fall of Orr, humans gathered in guilds, and fought each others, this period of the time line called the Guild Wars. You are welcome.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest.

At the same time, you can’t expect people who see this game and think “oow cool, guild wars” to first start reading about the lore to find out Guild Wars is not about guild wars. Besides, even Colin said at a question about if we could see something with guilds (can’t remember the exact questions, not sure if it was about GvG or just missions or whatever). Of course the game is called “Guild” Wars after all. So he also just points to that name understanding thats how customers can see it. That interview was over a year ago I think.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Guild Wars 2 is one of the best MMOs out there, and it’s spoiled me in so many ways thanks to its handling of leveling and approach to the world. However, the April 15th changes and other issues that have been unfixed remain problematic, and I find my interest waning. Unfortunately, April 15th brought far more harm(zerg trains on world bosses, trait lockout, loss of noncombat alternate outfits, trait lockout, prohibitively costly transmutations, trait lockout, breakup of server communities, boring leveling, trait lockout, trait lockout) than good (More people in the world, easier cosmetic management, encouraged exploration).

Posted by: ceol.9175

ceol.9175

Uh, EQ:N is #4, and Star Citizen is #5. Those games aren’t even in alpha yet.

You’d have to be a fool to take this list seriously.

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

mmorpg.com is legit and very well know website for mmo news,reviews and has good forum with a lot of experienced and veteran mmo players. i am a member of it for 5 years(not that i am veteran or anything just saying) now and rarely saw some none sense or at least i do not like it kind of a reviews on it ,it is like gamespot or ign of mmo world.
and yes as of today the best mmo out there is gw2 that make sense particularly if you played recently released mmos like me, you will understand why.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Not on the “released” list, only released games are on that list.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Not on the “released” list, only released games are on that list.

That and they are not out being the most important part to that you realty have no ideal what the games are going to be like until they are full out until then its all advertising statements “its going to be the best thing everz” etc… over all meaningless.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

production qualities

-no build varienty

+100 for truthyness
I mean who doesn’t like wearing sunglasses during maw at 2fps

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

production qualities

-no build varienty

Sad, but true. A lot of stuff is getting ignored for way too long now…

Awesome post.

But I think it’s ignored because this game revolves around buying skins in the cash shop and cosplaying with your friends in major cities. Truly for casual players as there is no PvE challenge here and the e-sport PvP is a joke.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

mmorpg.com is legit and very well know website for mmo news,reviews and has good forum with a lot of experienced and veteran mmo players. i am a member of it for 5 years(not that i am veteran or anything just saying) now and rarely saw some none sense or at least i do not like it kind of a reviews on it ,it is like gamespot or ign of mmo world.
and yes as of today the best mmo out there is gw2 that make sense particularly if you played recently released mmos like me, you will understand why.

No one saying mmorpg.com isn’t legit. People are saying just don’t take those review number seriously. Since the vote count is very low. So it’s very easy for people to manipulate those numbers. And I dont’ mean GW2, I mean pretty much the number for every game can be manipulated quite easily. Eventhough, mmorpg.com do take step to make sure people aren’t recreating fake account for voting. It’s quite clear there must be some fake votes, and those fake votes will make a difference since the vote count is so low.

If you really want to look at review number, even the review numbers by columnist are more legit. And it just happened the columnist reviewing GW2 on mmorpg.com did like it and give it good score. Or if you want to look at popularity, numbers like xfire are at least slightly more legit. And it just happened GW2 do have great number in xfire and many other tools that track playing hours.

I always hope Anet would release something such as player counts. But apparently I dont’ think their finance department want to release those information.