Guilds, how do others deal with this?

in Guilds

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

I’m just going to list some questions I have in the hope that some people might know of good solutions to them.

1) Inactivity – do you kick them or keep them on? I’m talking over 3 months inactive and roster space is not the problem.

2) The Zero contributors – They hardly ever represent or help the guild in anyway, but they might still be a friend of someone else in the guild.

3)The off lines (invisible) – they seem to always be set to invisible, you know they have been online as you can tell when they last logged in, but they are never “online”

4) “guild chat?! what’s that?” people that just ignore anything in guild chat and never respond or might once in a blue moon when it suites them.

in Guilds

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

I’m just going to list some questions I have in the hope that some people might know of good solutions to them.

1) Inactivity – do you kick them or keep them on? I’m talking over 3 months inactive and roster space is not the problem.

2) The Zero contributors – They hardly ever represent or help the guild in anyway, but they might still be a friend of someone else in the guild.

3)The off lines (invisible) – they seem to always be set to invisible, you know they have been online as you can tell when they last logged in, but they are never “online”

4) “guild chat?! what’s that?” people that just ignore anything in guild chat and never respond or might once in a blue moon when it suites them.

1) Usually, our leader starts kicking after about 2 months of inactivity. If someone said something beforehand though our leader won’t kick them. So if someone goes overseas or just gets in a position where they won’t be logging in for a while and they told the leader they will keep their spot in the guild.

2) This is kinda difficult. If you do not advertise your guild as a 100% rep required guild then I really don’t see a problem with it. As for contributing that goes that varies between player. Player A may not have that much time to participate in a guild event or they could be doing something else that they prefer. Like if Player A is a strict PvE player and the guild is doing a PvP event then Player A may not want to participate in that.

3) If the player decides to log in as offline then that is that person’s obligation. There is nothing anyone can do to make them change that. If they want to be offline then that is their choice. No one can change that.

4) If someone does not feel like talking then they are not going to talk. I’ve never seen a guild require using guild chat. I know if my guildies are talking about something I don’t really care about then I’m not going to contribute. It seems wrong to make someone contribute to a conversation that they don’t even want to have. If they feel like talking then they will talk. If not, then they won’t. Can’t really do anything about it.

in Guilds

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

For my guild, I have a list of policies or rules or whatever terms you want to call them and these policies cover most of the guild management stuffs.

1) We have a 2 weeks inactive rule though we only kick when we need the slots. We also send a notify mail along with the kicking, you won’t know if they return back to game. The mail will serve as a reminder what guild they were in when they happen to return to game. As far as I know, most guilds don’t mail when they kick you out.

2) Erm, we have rep rules so the rep isn’t an issue for our guild. As far as I know about no rep guilds, usually they kick people who didn’t rep for prolong period of time. However, I am not sure how they gonna monitor that when there are many people unless is a small guild. Of course, I think the issue isn’t really about repping but contributions, well, there are leechers, more than contributors. Normally we just keep them unless the guild policies say otherwise. Though you can hint them about it or try to engage them for activities but the latter method is more troublesome, difficult and most of the time not rewarding since most leechers continue to stay as leechers.

3) Well, just leave them be but sometimes they might not know they are in invisible mode. In any case, prolong invisible will also prolong their “Last Online” date, eventually making them look like inactive.

4) Well, again, let them be. Some people are like that, that’s why we rank them according to contributions. A lot of people join the guild for the sake of joining a guild because it is cool to join one or simply for the sake of guild missions or incase they might need something. Of course, you can try engage them but honestly, is not rewarding most of the time. I mean, if they never take the first step like joining guild activities and participate in small talk when in small guild group, most of the time, they not gonna be as sociable as you want them to be.

Most guilds want semi-hardcore or hardcore players but sadly, casuals made up the majority of the game. For my definition of casuals, please visit https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Casual-Semi-Hardcore-What/first#post5997238

Edit: You also need to consider what are considered as “contributions”. Some people consider participating in activities as contributions, if that is so, what kind of activities Because, in this game, people do activities, everyone does activities but you need to differentiate what type of activities or intentions when joining the different activities are worth to be considered a contribution to the guild.

Also, guild hall contributions are good measurement since it is literally coming out from own pocket.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

in Guilds

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

First, if your guild wasn’t set up with rules about representation, participation, or activity, then changing them (or implementing) now should be discussed with officers and the core guild group.

Second, this kind of thing matters if a guild wants to be “serious”. If it’s a casual guild, then these things shouldn’t matter much. If you have a “serious” core then see above. If there are just a few “serious” malcontents within an otherwise casual guild, then I’d suggest finding another guild to suit that need… ’cause you can have five guilds.

Specifically, 1) Inactivity. My guild keeps old friends who’re on hiatus. The guild leader occasionally kicks someone if we haven’t seen or heard from them in several months. Players who say they’re going to be gone for a while because [reasons] get to stay indefinitely.

2) The Zero contributors. IMO, the guild leader should approach them, find out why they never rep or do anything with the guild and why they choose that affiliation?

3)The off lines (invisible). Invisible has many uses. I use invisible when I just want to login for a few minutes and don’t want to get involved in anything time consuming. I’ve known folks to use invisible to avoid stalkers. I’ve also known people who didn’t realize they were invis. If use of invis. is an issue with someone, the guild leader should ask questions.

4) “guild chat?! what’s that?” I don’t always watch guild chat… who does? Sometimes, I get disgusted with map chat and shut it all down. Sometimes, I want to focus on combat stats. Sometimes, I like to ‘listen’ to guild chat but don’t feel the need to comment. The same things could be said for voice-chat programs. AFAIK, no one is required to use them. If you want to communicate with someone, there are a variety of methods to do it; guild chat is just one option.

in Guilds

Posted by: Little Leota.5849

Little Leota.5849

My guild is small, and I’ve described it as ‘casual’, although reading the posts above, we’re probably closer to ‘semi-casual’.

Anyway, in answer to your questions -

1) My guild has policies in place to cover this exact issue.

• Inactive for 1 month with or without reason – placed in ‘inactive’ rank, no privileges.
  • Gave notice and return from inactive (no time limit) – restored to previous rank.
  • No notice and return from inactive (before end of second month) – demoted one rank.
  • No notice, no return for 2 months – removed from guild.

Because there are sometimes situations beyond a person’s control, the guild leaders can opt to reinstate the person who didn’t give notice. It’s up to the leaders’ discretion.

2) Our guild is a no-rep required guild, except for officers and admins. I don’t want our members to feel pressured, because maybe they have friends in other guilds they like to play with, or maybe there’s another guild that does content we don’t do very much.

One of the ways I encourage people to contribute, whether it be their participation, or materials and items, is to tie contributions to rank promotion. I made it pretty easy for them to accomplish this, with just 2 events per month and 2 contributions per week in order to advance. The higher the rank, the longer they’ll have to have been members, as their contributions are cumulative. There are still some members who don’t contribute or participate, so they just won’t advance. I do remind them when they’re close to the next rank, and what they need to do to accomplish it. Then it’s up to them.

3) I think people sometimes make themselves invisible because they just want some time on their own, and that’s okay with me. None of our events or activities (even missions) are mandatory, because I want our members to enjoy the game without feeling pressured. If they just need their space, I totally understand!

I’m usually ‘invisible’ at least once a day, because, as a guild leader, there are things I need to do in order to make the guild run as smoothly as possible. I need to be able to do these things without interruptions.

4) I will usually say “Hi” when I see guild members online, and most of them will say “Hi” back. Sometimes that’s the extent of it. If you don’t have a group of particularly chatty people, then you’ll have a pretty quiet guild chat. I don’t mind it; and if I’m in the mood for talkative people, there’s always map chat!

(edited by Little Leota.5849)

in Guilds

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

thanks guys there are truly some good ideas to some of my questions here. some I might even implement myself. cheers

in Guilds

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

thanks guys there are truly some good ideas to some of my questions here. some I might even implement myself. cheers

You also have “the message of the Day option” to send a message to everybody who is logging on and belong to a guild. That way you can both make sure to remind people in your guild about what kind of activities that will be going on for each day (daily update of massage) or send a reminder about what is expected for members of your guild.

Here is picture where you can see where to edit message of the Day: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Guild_HoT_panel_main.jpg

in Guilds

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m very lenient with inactives. People take breaks. People have real lives. Generally, if I’m going to be recruiting I’ll clear out people I don’t know well or haven’t been with us as long, but people that have been with me for years, I just let be. There’s a loyalty factor in play there. I do always email people I drop that they are welcome to come back if they so desire, when they come back to the game.

These people I like to pull aside and discuss with them why they don’t rep and what might make them rep more. I’m not a stickler for 100% rep. My guild is very casual, and people aren’t always on. At which point, I actually encourage people to multi-guild, this way they have people to play with. No reason to rep a guild where no one is online at the time. However, if they essentially never rep, then maybe our guild just isn’t for them. Its not the “home” they’re looking for, and that’s perfectly ok. I don’t want people feeling like they “have” to hang out if they aren’t happy.

I’ve never run into this issue. I know people like to set themselves as “offline” when they are pvping, or when they just need some alone time, but I’ve never had someone that was always set this way.

Depends on why they are ignoring guild chat. Are they shy? Anti-social? Or just kittens? In the first couple of cases, it takes time, but with some effort and luv we can usually coax them out of their shell and into talking on occasion. There’s no pressure to do it all the time. Of course, some people just have a hard time typing while playing too (guilty!) so they don’t talk as much when they are actively do something. But give them voice chat, or chat outside the game and they just talk your ear off. In the final case…I just boot ’em.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Guilds

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

In all honesty, “100% Rep” is really a thing of the past. If you are doing any content as a guild group, then all participating members should be proud to show the guild tag. If not then I would question it. With the ability to join multiple guilds for various reasons (raiding, RP and such) trying to force the 100% rep is going to hurt the guild more than it will help it.

in Guilds

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You also have “the message of the Day option” to send a message to everybody who is logging on and belong to a guild. That way you can both make sure to remind people in your guild about what kind of activities that will be going on for each day (daily update of massage) or send a reminder about what is expected for members of your guild.

Here is picture where you can see where to edit message of the Day: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Guild_HoT_panel_main.jpg

Also great place for list of materials required for guild upgrades.

in Guilds

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

In all honesty, “100% Rep” is really a thing of the past. If you are doing any content as a guild group, then all participating members should be proud to show the guild tag. If not then I would question it. With the ability to join multiple guilds for various reasons (raiding, RP and such) trying to force the 100% rep is going to hurt the guild more than it will help it.

“thing of the past”? if you are referring to influence again, i thought we have past that, this have been discussed numerous times, try googling

regardless, wheater it hurt the guild or not, is up to the guild to decide. afterall, if those full rep guilds are desperate for all kind of members, they will never enforce full rep in the first place.

also, i find guilds that are explicit about their rep expectations more honest than guilds that claim no rep requirements but kept on asking their members to rep.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in Guilds

Posted by: Dhaise.5639

Dhaise.5639

(RP Guild so your mileage might vary)

1- I move them to an “inactive” roster rank, where they can do anything a recruit can do. That way if the account gets compromised/whatever, they aren’t going crazy with consumables/guild bank stuff.

2- I don’t sweat them unless they are being a PITA. If they arent contributing or using materials, they are zero drain.

3- Don’t care. if they want to hide and be invis, let them. I just stop inviting people who don’t want to participate. Plenty of PuG people want to learn a fractal or dungeon, or goof off in a raid, RP whatnot.

4- Some of the guild chats get buggy now, and having 5 guilds to consider on a busy night can be harrowing.

I honestly don’t sweat this stuff, unless the person in question does ALL of these at once and adds the unofficial #5 of “continually whining that there is nothing to entertain them”. Then they get both barrels.

in Guilds

Posted by: Aurust.8961

Aurust.8961

WvW Guild Here:

1) Gkick, unless notified of extended hiatus beforehand.
2) Gkick
3) Gkick
4) Gkick, since they probably wouldn’t respond to having a proper build and gear or anyalysis of their performance.

Master- [DKLT] The Darkness and The Light
JQ WvW

in Guilds

Posted by: Sonic the Hedgehog.5169

Sonic the Hedgehog.5169

For me in my Guild (Camelot Knights)

With Inactivity I only kick people who may of quit the game completely. (If I notice they never come on anymore. I hate being part of someones guild because I have more online stuff than just GW2 on my pc (Who in the world has a Gig (Vary large) or a Terabyte (Extremely Large) Hard Drive just for 1 Game what is the point in that it’s a waste of space.) And I often get kicked out a lot just because I spent my “time” on other MMOs so I make my own.

Anyways,

For those that contribute is optional for bigger guilds sense it’s a lot of people in it and 1 person not contributing outweighs the bigger numbers who do. But for me my guild small so a lot is needed sense small guilds require more work than bigger ones.

But for my guild it’s currently optional at this time.

For those that stay offline but are on the game, That’s there option if they do not want to be seen online.

For are Guild Chat we use it but mostly just party chat when we are doing stuff.

Sonic’s the name, speeds my game!
[img]http://i.imgur.com/jgensFl.png[/img]