Guildwars 2 wins TenTonHammer Best MMO 2013

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

Edit:
Guildwars 2 is BEST for 2013, not necessarily best for new releases. TTH compared Gw2 to both past MMOs and current/newly released MMOs of this year. I’m just copy/ pasting/quoting what TTH mentioned in their article and I bolded the emphasis:

The process of determining our Best MMO of 2013 really began many months ago. As each new game world came to life, we couldn’t help but weigh its strengths and weaknesses against what we consider to be the best virtual world currently available to gamers.

= =Orig Post Below = =

Just saw it on reddit, however, I am not familiar with TenTonHammer website.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1t9mdf/tentonhammer_awards_guild_wars_2_mmo_of_the_year/

TTHammer:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/255265/page/8

Quote:

When it came to selecting our Best MMO of 2013, there was little debate amongst our writing team. We all agreed that Guild Wars 2 remains the industry leader and is the one MMO that we all consider to be most worthy of our biggest award of the year. While the core game is still one of the best we’ve seen in recent years, the team at ArenaNet has continued to impress us and turn a lot of heads in the industry with its unprecedented series of Living Story updates.

Not only has the PvE in Guild Wars 2 continued to evolve throughout the year, but ArenaNet has left no stone unturned through a series of regular improvements and refinement to both competitive PvP and the massive World versus World system. It’s for these reasons and many more that Guild Wars 2 was selected as our Best MMO of 2013, a title held by the game now for two consecutive years.

Gratz to Anet and Gw2 team

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

(edited by DeathMetal.8264)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

This is nice. I don’t think I’ve ever played someone’s game of the year.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

Of course it won, there’s was no competition in 2013 for MMOs.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Testament to how bad the MMO market has become when a ’C-’ title can claim to be the best of the bunch.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Testament to how bad the MMO market has become when a ‘C-’ title can claim to be the best of the bunch.

And thus the naysayers appear. This is why we can’t have people over.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Aarean.5398

Aarean.5398

Good job anet its definitely a deserved award. Im so glad they could give gw2 its props without even mentioning wow. The naysayers get over it. Its over with and no mmo out nor that will come out next year will be able to compete with the sheer level of injected content at the pace they manage to keep up with. Wildstar. Teso. They wont be able to keep up. Anet has a gold star that wont be beaten for a long time.

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Congratulations to anet!

Ps- cantha?

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Congrats ANet!!!!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

MMO market does look pretty bleak at the moment.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

It’s well deserved. They’ve put hard work into the product and it shows. It’s the first MMO in years I’ve stuck with for more than a three months.

It can be better, but I’m still more than satisfied with the product.

Gone to Reddit.

PVStar.3658

Testament to how bad the MMO market has become when a ‘C-’ title can claim to be the best of the bunch.

Did I call GW2 a bad game, or even talk negatively about it at all in my post? No. I simply stated GW2 won because it had zero competition, which it didn’t. The fact that a game released mid 2012 won GotY for 2013 shows that nothing worth mentioning even came out in 2013. They had to choose something, so they chose the most successful recent MMO that’s been released.

(edited by PVStar.3658)

Posted by: Ensio.8172

Ensio.8172

Did I call GW2 a bad game, or even talk negatively about it at all in my post? No. I simply stated GW2 won because it had zero competition, which it didn’t. It won by default and it’s nothing to be excited about.

Except it did have competition, from all the other MMOs that are on the market.

PVStar.3658

Did I call GW2 a bad game, or even talk negatively about it at all in my post? No. I simply stated GW2 won because it had zero competition, which it didn’t. It won by default and it’s nothing to be excited about.

Except it did have competition, from all the other MMOs that are on the market.

Game of the year awards are generally given to the best title released in the given year. Nothing worth mentioning came out in 2013, they had to give it to something, so they gave it to the most successful recent MMO (which happens to be GW2). If anything half decent came out this year that didn’t die off in 3 months, chances are they would have awarded it to that game. GW2 won MMO GotY in 2012 because it was superior to the other MMOs in 2012, and it deserved the award. It won this year simply because the award had to go to something.

(edited by PVStar.3658)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Aye, people seems to be under the impression that they only competed against MMOs released this year (which is quite silly, seeing as GW2 wasn’t), rather than all MMOs that are currently active.

That includes WoW, FF, TSW, ToR, Runescape and a kittenload of other games.

Or are people going to claim that none of every other MMO in the world offer any competition to GW2?

People will clearly never accept that GW2 won something for actually being better, but rather only because of lack of competition.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Grats to Anet and GW2.

People will clearly never accept that GW2 won something for actually being better, but rather only because of lack of competition.

It did not win for being better, it won for being preferred over its competition by specific individuals.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Did I call GW2 a bad game, or even talk negatively about it at all in my post? No. I simply stated GW2 won because it had zero competition, which it didn’t. The fact that a game released mid 2012 won GotY for 2013 shows that nothing worth mentioning even came out in 2013. They had to choose something, so they chose the most successful recent MMO that’s been released.

You were saying it won only because it had no competition. Except looking up those with a release date in 2013 there’s 37 MMOs including Neverwinter, Marvel Heroes (yea that’s a stretch to call that an MMO), Defiance and FF XIV.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

lordkrall.7241

It did not win for being better, it won for being preferred over its competition by specific individuals.

And thus in their eyes it was being better than its competition.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

And thus in their eyes it was being better than its competition.

Exactly so. The difference between “being better” and being preferred by a specific group of people.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

There was the new release of FFXIV which isn’t a bad game. Also some other games. But let’s face it: GW2 clearly stands out compared to the others. Starting with the Graphics and the polished feel.

Of course under the hood there is a lot lackluster as we all can read in this forum.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Let’s not take away from their moment with the terms used. Congrats A-net. A nice recognition to receive before the holiday period. I, like 10 ten don’t care if your better or not, you are my preferred.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I wasn’t speaking poorly of GW2 either.

I think a ‘C-’ is a fair grade to give Guild Wars 2 at the moment. This was a game that I gave a solid ‘A’ to at launch. But when you consider all the limitations they’ve put on players since launch, such as DR, one-a-day dungeons and world bosses, the aoe cap, the removal of free 1 day transfers, and the nerf to karma. The game (in my eyes) was clearly better at launch than it is today.

Yet, it’s still the best game on the market. That truly is a testament to how bad the rest of the games on the market are. That’s not an insult directed at GW2 so much as the rest of the market.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

Gratz Anet!!

And thats not the end: my friends and I were having a discussion (with some pints here and there) and a vote about the ‘MMO of the millenia’ and we are proud to announce that the winner iiiiis: Guild Wars 2!!!!
YES! Guild Wars 2 is now officially the MMO of the Millenia elected by the association of flying pandas!

Aaaand here’s the reward: \o/

So again, congratulations Anet!!!!

;-)

This won’t end well…

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Agreed.

What has been launched in 2013?
Neverwinter, Defiance, few F2P conversions and, strictly MMO talking, that’s it.

Nowhere near a real competition.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

lordkrall.7241

Agreed.

Neverwinter, Defiance, few F2P conversions and, strictly MMO talking, that’s it.

Hm?
What about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn?

And seeing as GW2 was not even released this year, maybe we should also count games released last year?
And since it is not a prize of the best game released said year (clearly) shouldn’t we also count every single other MMO game that is currently live as well?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

As expected for an AAA MMO title! That’s why people are taking the oath against subscription MMOs.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Ensio.8172

Agreed.

This wasn’t about games only released this year, but the genre as a whole, so you must count all MMOs on the market as being in competition for the title, yes, that includes WoW too.

The writers of TTH have chosen GW2 as their preferred MMO 2 years in a row, how much you value their opinion is another thing entirely, congratz Anet.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Obviously, GW2 beats Swtor, FFXIV, and WoW.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

This…

Don’t get me wrong, despite its (increasingly) large flaws, GW2 is still by far the best MMO I’ve ever played… But “best MMO of 2013” isn’t really an impressive a title as it sounds.

What was the competition? Seriously.

Neverwinter? Lots of potential, but very underdeveloped last time I gave it a chance.

FF XIV? An attempt to salvage one of the most amazing stillbirth fiascos of recent game release history (still second to the original APB though!). Much better now, but extremely unimpressive nonetheless.

Everything else are expansions to already existing MMOs, Marvel Heroes (ahahahah!) and Planetside 2, which despite being nice in its own right, isn’t the same kind of game as everything else on the list and I’m sure only made it in because the list maker was seriously grasping at straws to fill the spots with something .

If you say GW2 is the best MMO currently available, I’ll agree. If you say GW2 changed the standards of MMORPGs in a way the gaming world hadn’t seen since WoW, I’ll agree. Those are titles it can be proud of.

If you say GW2 was the best MMO of 2013… Meh. Congrats. You beat up a bunch of handicaps and infants.

(edited by ProxyDamage.9826)

Posted by: byjiang.1260

byjiang.1260

Is this ten ton something website a big deal? Never heard of it.

Maybe I should go and award GW2 some random award. People will rage over it regardless.

Posted by: Knaifhogg.5964

Knaifhogg.5964

I’m more interested how they will fare next year with two other big MMOs coming out. Hopefully well, I prefer this kind of payment system.

Posted by: bartem.2731

bartem.2731

I don’t know of the site, but it’s 2013 awards given to best existing mmos, not mmos launched during 2013, as gw2 isn’t one. So they picked gw2 over all existing ones for what it’s worth. So if it’s a legitimate award, it’s quite an achievement.

Ensio.8172

I’m more interested how they will fare next year with two other big MMOs coming out. Hopefully well, I prefer this kind of payment system.

It will be a small miracle if TESO and Wildstar can become big hits with the planned business models.

They will only really be in direct competition with WoW due to all having sub fees.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Not much else in the way of competition. Next year will be very different. As an MMO gamer myself, I’m going to have a lot more choice.

(edited by Calae.1738)

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Well deserved in my opinion.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

GW2 is a great game. Both story and art design are cool (even the living story).
The balancing on the other hand is awful. They got definitely space for improvements.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

GW2 was the best MMO of 2013, so well deserved.

Wether you like Living Story or not…they sure put a lot of effort in…don’t know of any other game with 2 week updates…

TESO and Wildstar won’t attract alot of GW2 players being sub based…how long till they are free to play? Six months, a year, 2 years…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Congrats to Anet, always nice to have another award to add to the list. I feel it’s deserved, but whether others feel the same or not, it’s all personal opinion.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Wow lots of haters really…

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Keep up the good work Anet! I will be your fanboy next year too! ^^

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Tera. I would most definitely say that GW2s main competitor on the market right now is Tera, that also updates frequently, has little grind and actually removed a lot of repetitive quests recently.

Speaking about the whole top ten, I found it massively outdated, either that or the people that wrote it never actually played the game, for example Neverwinter Nights are massively pay to win, how could you exactly put that MMO up there?
Sure, planetside deserves to be there, however Everquest 2? How old is that by now? How grindy and not innovative is it?

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

Good job anet its definitely a deserved award. Im so glad they could give gw2 its props without even mentioning wow. The naysayers get over it. Its over with and no mmo out nor that will come out next year will be able to compete with the sheer level of injected content at the pace they manage to keep up with. Wildstar. Teso. They wont be able to keep up. Anet has a gold star that wont be beaten for a long time.

Too bad quantity =/= quality. As long as Wildstar and TESO don’t follow Anet’s method of delivering ‘content’ then they have nothing to worry about.

(edited by Tru Reptile.6058)

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Please, enlighten me.
GW2 lost to Blade&Soul in the number of PRESTIGIOUS awards for 2013.
GW2 playerbase is rather thin. At its peak ( 2 weeks after the premiere ) the game had aroun 150 000 concurrent log ins. To compare, a game as old as WoW has 10x more even now.
GW2 relies on qunatity, not quality, as some other people told you. It’s been known to many that the quality of the LS ( and their 10-year-old level ) is a joke. Bi-weekly content which is completed within the first 2-3 hours by many people, for the sake of achievements only. Not the model itself ( which is admirable tbh ), but the execution of the LS model is something that ruins this game.

So please, do tell me, what is the gold star that this game has? I’ve played it since its release ( and I’m pretty certain I am one of the very few that share the same shoes ), and if it wasn’t for the lack of any new games I’d like to play or my guildmates with whom I do like to spend time talking on mumble while doing just… something in the game, I and probably most of us here wouldn’t be playing it.

I am deeply curious what you mean by “gold star that GW2 has”. Can’t wait to hear from you.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

It’s from TTH, it’s not exactly the most prestigious or meaningful thing is it?

It wins purely for being a pioneer of a new system, and not for worthwhile content.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Too bad quantity =/= quality. As long as Wildstar and TESO don’t follow Anet’s method of delivering ‘content’ then they have nothing to worry about.

You need a balance of the 2. Too little quality and you got a bad game, too little quantity and you got a boring game.

And TESO/Wildstar has a lot to worry about. WS is competiting right in WoW’s back yard, down to the artwork and graphics (after WoD’s character model upgrade): no one has managed to out-WoW WoW. They need a reason for people to play it rather than WoW (other than just semi-slapstick humor), which is what I’m not seeing.

TESO is already being bashed over its P2P model and shallow combat (the combat on ES games has never been complex and sophisticated but it’s a MMO this time). Not a good starting point.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Grats GW2! Now let’s get the ball rolling on some real content updates and bug fixes in 2014 so we don’t hit the other end of the spectrum. Too many huge titles coming out to lollygag around this year And I can assure you ESO and WildStar are going to bring the heat in 2014. Good luck!

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

You need a balance of the 2. Too little quality and you got a bad game, too little quantity and you got a boring game.

And TESO/Wildstar has a lot to worry about. WS is competiting right in WoW’s back yard, down to the artwork and graphics (after WoD’s character model upgrade): no one has managed to out-WoW WoW. They need a reason for people to play it rather than WoW (other than just semi-slapstick humor), which is what I’m not seeing.

TESO is already being bashed over its P2P model and shallow combat (the combat on ES games has never been complex and sophisticated but it’s a MMO this time). Not a good starting point.

…What? I’m assuming you haven’t played the ESO beta… Anet needs to get their butts in overdrive before April.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

One good reason is you can purchase subscription time with in-game gold, much like you could in Aion. That alone is a reason for people to “check it out”, especially given you get 30 days free if you purchase the game (of course). Chances are, plenty of people will stay playing WS to keep it afloat for a very long time.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

…What? I’m assuming you haven’t played the ESO beta… Anet needs to get their butts in overdrive before April.

I have not, but I know 3 people that have.

1 is a guildie that I’ve known for about 5 years…
2 others I work with irl

They were not impressed….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

No I havn’t. But that doesn’t mean I havn’t seen the bashing. And looking at what game play vids they have released, it’s worrying.

Normally this close to release (on 4 months), the devs would show videos about the gane mechanics and even explain how specific encounters work. ESO hasn’t shown much regarding actual enemy mechanics other than that goblin boss, which was pretty much a spamfest.

They went lengths to show how well enemies are designed graphically and audio-wise, but I havn’t yet seen an encounter with interesting and sophisticated mechanics other than tank n spank.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

but I havn’t yet seen an encounter with interesting and sophisticated mechanics other than tank n spank.

So precisely what you need for the WB in GW2? LOL

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.