Guns: Proper Bullet Physics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Something that bugged me is the slowness of the gun weapons in this game in comparison to bows.

I think all guns should follow the model of the mesmer GS and have instant strike/high velocity bullet properties.

When you think about the power of the current rifle/pistol weapons, most of them need a buff anyway.

There would be obvious exceptions to maintain balance (such as the engineer explosive shot/poison shots, thief teleports, etc.). Mesmer OH pistol and phantasms would remain the same as well.

This would also make guns competitive with the ranger longbow. I think that most big shots from guns are telegraphed enough to balance this (Killshot, Volley). The engineer rifle doesn’t have any normal shots aside from the autoattack, that can be easily number tweaked to fit this.

This would give guns proper mechanics and give them a better “feel” compared to bows.

(edited by lordhelmos.7623)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Good luck with that request, you’re talking to people who actually think that the circumference of a two-handed sword is bigger than a bomb or a mine in size If this were to happen in our actual history of war, we would have never gotten past the Arquebus stage.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Eclio.3197

Eclio.3197

You want proper physics in a fantasy game? I can only suggest you look elsewhere for that one, as it’s the equivalent of asking for spell casting in Call of Duty, and is irrelevant unless you are a game designer (and can give the developers programming tips, rather than outrageous suggestions like “make magic more realistic”).

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Actually, bullet velocity is not a problem. You’re thinking of modern bullets (with modern formulations) compared to modern arrows (launched by sports/hunting bows).

To put things in perspective, a modern rifle round goes at a blazing 5,600 ft/s, while a modern compound bow goes at 329 ft/s. A black powder musket/flintlock (which is what we’d be using in a fantasy setting), on the other hand, goes at a modest 370 ft/s, whereas a medieval English longbow launches around 150~180 ft/s.

Bullets fired by our characters only go twice as fast as equivalent era arrows, but still crawl through the air only slightly faster than modern arrows.

Edit: not saying the animations we see in game accurately reflect these speeds, but the point is if there’s going to be a change in bullet speed it’ll just be double that of arrows, not instant hits.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

You want proper physics in a fantasy game? I can only suggest you look elsewhere for that one, as it’s the equivalent of asking for spell casting in Call of Duty, and is irrelevant unless you are a game designer (and can give the developers programming tips, rather than outrageous suggestions like “make magic more realistic”).

Lol, that is terrible logic (could be trolling?). The whole of the game, weapons, and combat are rooted in reality to begin with and you are saying increasing velocity isn’t a valid request when they did it for Ranger longbow (which kind of kills your programming argument). Also I can use your argument to justify just about anything in game. [Begin Sarcasm] Bug happens where bows now shoot backwards only, NOT A BUG this isn’t reality and if you want projectile weapons to fire the correct direction you should go play CoD because this is a fantasy where bows fire backwards and you expect the anet devs to be able to make a bow fire forwards. Unless you can give them tips to help them program it to fire the correct direction, rather than outrageous suggestions like a bow fireing forwards, lol what were you thinking… a bow that fires forwards [/End Sarcasm]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Something that bugged me is the slowness of the gun weapons in this game in comparison to bows.

….

This would give guns proper mechanics and give them a better “feel” compared to bows.

The physics is ‘proper’ for Tyria, even if it’s improper for Earth. Even aside from the obvious, there are plenty of examples that clue you into the difference:

• You toss Dragon’s Tooth and without hurting friends, it burns foes, and yet doesn’t burn wood objects nearby.
  • You use a scythe to gather from a single plant and might end up with garlic, cloves, tarragon, or vanilla. That same plant yields a different set of herbs (or spices) in other regions.
  • A fall from great height usually doesn’t kill you.

As long as the game is self-consistent, I don’t think it has any obligation to match Earth physics, chemistry, or biology. Or at least, I can still enjoy it just fine; I hope you’ll be able to as well.

edit: grammar clean-up

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

hazenvirus.8154

….

The physics is ‘proper’ for Tyria, even if it’s improper for Earth. Even aside from the obvious, there are plenty of examples that clue you into the difference:

• You toss Dragon’s Tooth and it doesn’t hurt friends, burns foes, but doesn’t burn wood objects nearby.
  • You use a scythe to gather from a single plant and might end up with garlic, cloves, tarragon, or vanilla. That same plant yields a different set of herbs (or spices) in other regions.
  • A fall from great height usually doesn’t kill you.

As long as the game is self-consistent, I don’t think it has any obligation to match Earth physics, chemistry, or biology. Or at least, I can still enjoy it just fine; I hope you’ll be able to as well.

Considering we are also considering the balance of pistol/rifle, which goes beyond physics, it isn’t unresonable to think that increasing the velocity could improve these weapons, while rifle might be powerful for engineer it is largely unused for serious play by warriors. I can’t say by how much it would help, but dismissing the argument because you think the current physics are okay or using examples of other unrealistic physics is a poor argument. Look at my bow example above, just because it isn’t “supposed to be realistic” doesn’t me it shouldn’t or couldn’t be changed.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

• You toss Dragon’s Tooth and it doesn’t hurt friends, burns foes, but doesn’t burn wood objects nearby.

Engineer bombs and grenades also say, “Hi.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

…it isn’t unresonable to think that increasing the velocity could improve these weapons,

Sure, but the OP argued that the physics was improper, as can be seen in the title of the thread. In a game, especially a fantasy RPG, game balance has to be (mostly) separated from other considerations.

If the OP wants to discuss balance in a new thread, great. (Even then, it’s more complicated than just looking at rifle vs longbow or pistol vs shortbow, since those weapons have very different functions for different profs and within the context of various builds.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Lol, that is terrible logic (could be trolling?). The whole of the game, weapons, and combat are rooted in reality to begin with

I was unaware shooting lasers out of a greatsword was rooted in reality

Or anything an elementalist can do

Or necromancer

etc

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

hazenvirus.8154

Lol, that is terrible logic (could be trolling?). The whole of the game, weapons, and combat are rooted in reality to begin with

I was unaware shooting lasers out of a greatsword was rooted in reality

Or anything an elementalist can do

Or necromancer

etc

Clearly not everything is, but the core mechanics like running jumping and swinging a weapon are, did you know if you could project a laser a certain way it could even behave like the mesmer greatsword?

Read the logic, even if there are fantasy elements you probably wouldn’t be okay with a bow shooting backwards or swords damaging their owners when it swings. The point is that guild wars 2 has some realistic elements even if it is a fantasy game, and that isn’t a bad thing nor is adding more realistic elements especially if it can also improve a weapon that is consider a poor choice at the same time.

(edited by hazenvirus.8154)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

they balanced this to allow dodging, they rather make the bullet go slow enough to dodge then making them instant-hit while unbalancing them in the progress.

(edited by sorudo.9054)

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

there sure is a lot of presumptions and if statements around.

kinda feels like im reading bad programing.

Honestly though, the game is a fantasy game set in a fantasy universe. Realism isn’t something that you can strive for.

It’s one thing to ask for a velocity increase on projectiles, or to ask them to class projectiles and missiles differently. Those are fine balance related quirks that can be looked into. However, reality or the lack their of in this case is nothing more than a fabricated excuse.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

guns arent that old yet in the world of tyria. bows are.

also it is a fantasy game, deal with it. or go play CoD lol

hazenvirus.8154

Well I’m done feeding the trolls.

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

Well I’m done feeding the trolls.

Next time don’t make a terrible topic, if you want to play a game with real world physics play battlefield.

Also learn to accept criticism just because they don’t agree with you doesn’t make them trolls. Their arguments are just as valid as yous but the truth is Arenanet simply decided that gameplay mechanics supersedes whatever sense of physics you believe should exist.