Gw 2 endgame questions

Gw 2 endgame questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wuren.3492

Wuren.3492

Only lvl 30 on my first character, asked in the guild i joined what endgame is in this game, the answer they gave me was to have fun. They said there is no Raids or things like that, and in WWW gear dont mean so much. Whats the point of the game when u reach lvl 80 if u cant uppgrade ur character, do more difficult dungeons when u get better gear, hit harder in pvp etc ?. Do i totaly misunderstand them because this sounds weird to me. What are ppl doing at lvl 80 ?

Sry for bad english

Gw 2 endgame questions

Wuren.3492

Just wondering if its worth to continue playing if i end up doing same things at lvl 80 as i do now when i lvl.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

if WvW or PvP isn’t your thing then there really isn’t much fun stuff to do when you hit lvl80. The PvE endgame of GW2 is really lackluster to the point that it’s almost non-existent.

GW2’s endgame, aside of WvW and PvP, is basically “fashion wars 2”. People hunt for pretty skins and vanity items to make themselves look cooler and more unique. This basically comes down to grinding the same extremely easy content over and over and over again until you got the skins you desire or until you have enough gold to buy the skins you most desire (in GW2 almost everything can be bought with gold, even legendary weapons). If that doesn’t sound like fun to you then you might want to look for a different MMO to play after hitting lvl80.

Edit: The notion that gear doesn’t matter in WvW is false though. PvP has its own gear that is the same for everyone, but WvW doesn’t. Getting BiS gear is definitely worth it for WvW.

(edited by LucosTheDutch.4819)

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Or wait for more news on HoT before u make any decision.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

You will do the exact same thing at level 80 as you are at level 30. You are currently playing Gw2’s endgame. The game was designed this way. I personally hope to see some endgame added in the future, maybe with HoT.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Wuren.3492

Many mmos dies, but not this one and it has almost no endgame content, i dont get it

Gw 2 endgame questions

LucosTheDutch.4819

Many mmos dies, but not this one and it has almost no endgame content, i dont get it

This MMO draws a specific audience that is different from the traditional MMO audience. GW2 is a niche game. It will never become bigger than MMOs like WoW, but it will also never die as long as Anet keeps their niche audience pleased.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

it’s because MMO player base is aging. We don’t have the time to do excessive raids and endless gear progression. That’s why both horizontal (cosmetic) progression MMOs and sandbox MMOs are picknig up.

Gw 2 endgame questions

LucosTheDutch.4819

it’s because MMO player base is aging. We don’t have the time to do excessive raids and endless gear progression. That’s why both horizontal (cosmetic) progression MMOs and sandbox MMOs are picknig up.

Except GW2 isn’t a sandbox MMO. But you’re not completely wrong though.

I think there are 3 types of people drawn to GW2:

1. The casual players who just want to have fun with their friends by doing a casual dungeon runs or other casual activities (which this game has a decent amount of) without having to worry about BiS gear or learning strategies for difficult encounters.

2. The special snowflakes who get their satisfaction out of looking prettier or more unique than others rather than being better or more skilled than others.

3. The competitive players who like GW2’s PvP or GW2’s unique game-mode called World versus World.

I personally fall under category 3.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Hammurabi.5942

Hammurabi.5942

1. The casual players who just want to have fun with their friends by doing a casual dungeon runs or other casual activities (which this game has a decent amount of) without having to worry about BiS gear or learning strategies for difficult encounters.

2. The special snowflakes who get their satisfaction out of looking prettier or more unique than others rather than being better or more skilled than others.

3. The competitive players who like GW2’s PvP or GW2’s unique game-mode called World versus World.

kitten , you’re a pretty tough guy.

I prefer to play dress up and pretend I’m the prettiest princess <3

Gw 2 endgame questions

Mirta.5029

I know that. That’s why I marked two categories. “horizontal progression MMOs” and “sandbox MMOs”. Though there’s noone to say that some new developer couldn’t make an MMO that’s both

Gw 2 endgame questions

LucosTheDutch.4819

I know that. That’s why I marked two categories. “horizontal progression MMOs” and “sandbox MMOs”. Though there’s noone to say that some new developer couldn’t make an MMO that’s both

Fur ennuf.

Wasn’t Ultima Online both?

Gw 2 endgame questions

Wuren.3492

But dose gear matter in WwW, is there alot of different gears that takes time to get ?, if not i maybe i just play a singelplayer game instead

Gw 2 endgame questions

Mirta.5029

But dose gear matter in WwW, is there alot of different gears that takes time to get ?, if not i maybe i just play a singelplayer game instead

teamwork matters the most. Hence why sometimes teams of 10 can hold against teams of 50.
Then it’s zerging.
Then it’s individual gear.

Ascended takes quite a while to get, but it’s barely better than exotic. Do you really play MMOs just for gear progression?

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Rannith.9068

Rannith.9068

There is no other game out there like gw2. I have played many many mmos.. and to have this type of content with this type of quality is amazing. (esp when you factor in no monthly fees)

Sandbox: “free-roaming” suggest the absence of artificial barriers
I have seen may games claim to be a sandbox but yet contain these artificial barriers.

For me I do not like WoW…I was dragged into it in the first place. This is the perfect game for me.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Wuren.3492

Yeah but whats so good with it when u cant progress in any way, get better gear, feel that ur character gets better etc. I want to do pvp to earn thoes points so i can buy that weapon i want etc, and see a differnce when i fight ppl that dont have same gear as me. When i talk to ppl it looks like u are running around doing things but u dont know why, there is no goal to reach. U are just doing quests, events for fun.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Mirta.5029

Yeah but whats so good with it when u cant progress in any way, get better gear, feel that ur character gets better etc. I want to do pvp to earn thoes points so i can buy that weapon i want etc, and see a differnce when i fight ppl that dont have same gear as me. When i talk to ppl it looks like u are running around doing things but u dont know why, there is no goal to reach. U are just doing quests, events for fun.

you do PvP to compete on equal grounds. To raise your server’s level or to raise your own rank. You do PVE to get all the pretty things, to follow the story, to challenge yourself not because you have to, but because you want to. That’s the point. You do content because you like it, not because you have to do it to not fall back on the gear treadmill.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Wuren.3492

This game is not for me then

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes, most likely.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Gw 2 endgame questions

LucosTheDutch.4819

Sandbox: “free-roaming” suggest the absence of artificial barriers
I have seen may games claim to be a sandbox but yet contain these artificial barriers.

That’s not what sandbox means, not in the MMO genre. Being able to roam freely is only a part of the sandbox genre. A true sandbox game allows the players to build their own world. That is where the name “sandbox” comes from. As children we used to build our own stuff in real sandboxes with sand and other tools. Sandbox videogames emulate this and expand on this idea. Player housing, creating your own player communities and hierarchy and being able to claiming, building and expanding your own strongholds, settlements or bases are all part of the sandbox genre. Open-world player-versus-player and guild-versus-guild is often a big part of the sandbox MMO genre. No level-gating or level-caps is also something that is often core of the sandbox MMO genre.

A good example of a true sandbox MMO is EVE Online.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

The best part of the PvP is that it’s purely skill based, everyone is on equal ground…doesn’t matter if you just got into the game or if you have been playing for years (IGNORING the actual experience you have, learning and adapting, i mean actual stat benefits) and it’s a beautiful thing…you don’t have to PvP for months and months to get maybe just a bit better with some new armour…instead you just learn how to play your class.

WvW is also something close to thise.

And yes is armour you can get, and also a diversity of build.
Once you reach 80 you will use exotics cause they are kinda easy to get. And then for WvWvW you gather materials and craft Ascended, it’s like 5% better stat-wise but in a place like WvWvW or 80’s maps like Silverwates it does matter, that one last hit you need to survive so you can actually put your adversary down.

Other than Ascended it’s all skill based, dodges, roll, evade, blond, interupt.

If you come from WoW, and you expect an WoW like game just cause GW2 is an MMO too….you’re gonna have a bad time.

GW2 is like pizza, even when bad, it’s still kinda good.

My advice, keep playing, I also came from traditional MMOs, where grinding for a higher lvl, or higher armour, higher weapon was all there was to the game…each time you actually reached the lvl cap with weapons and armours you waited months for a new update/expansion and then restart the whole thing. Grind for the new best weapon, new best armour…

And at first i did have a hard time with guild wars…I didn’t understood the whole “Get to 80 in less than a week thing” i kept thinking…ok so i get to lvl cap, then what?

Turns out there ar eplenty of thing you can do, and also it’s a great game to have multiple characters with classes…in traditional mmo;s it is a pain in the kitten to have to spend months trying to raise another character from the ground…but in GW2….ohh no sir, it’s quite a pleasure

Gw 2 endgame questions

LucosTheDutch.4819

There are definitely goals in GW2 but constantly chasing after better gear is not part of it.

Some goals in GW2 that keep a lot of players busy:

1. Becoming better in sPvP and climbing in rank on the PvP leaderboard and enter PvP tournaments for rewards.

2. Becoming better with your guild in WvW to beat other guilds on other servers in WvW, helping your server to win the WvW matchup and winning rewards during WvW tournaments.

3. Collecting vanity items and armor skins that show you have explored every nook and cranny of the game.

4. Trying to craft a legendary weapon, which isn’t better than other BiS gear (ascended) but does look really cool and shows you’re a dedicated GW2 player (though people with a credit card can get the same legendary weapon with irl money, which is kinda lame, but that’s a different discussion for a different thread).

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Only lvl 30 on my first character, asked in the guild i joined what endgame is in this game, the answer they gave me was to have fun. They said there is no Raids or things like that, and in WWW gear dont mean so much. Whats the point of the game when u reach lvl 80 if u cant uppgrade ur character, do more difficult dungeons when u get better gear, hit harder in pvp etc ?. Do i totaly misunderstand them because this sounds weird to me. What are ppl doing at lvl 80 ?

Sry for bad english

All prestige items require a ton of grinding, so people still play are either grinding for prestige, or doing alts.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

Join a Fractal guild and master Fractals and collect all the Fractal weapon skins – HoM is coming with a lot of Fractal content – It’s going to be huge! Bssically GW2 version of raids. (My guild is a Fractal guild)

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: StarNightz.8496

StarNightz.8496

Fractals if u r looking for challenge but gw2 endgame is more of cosmatic stuff than better stats. I do spvp most of the time. OH and u can lvl ur chatacters by just doing spvp matches so yah. Them tome of knoledge is too op

Kimditcher

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

You do get more powerful, actually. If you fight an ascended geared level 80 in WvW in your level 20 masterworks, you have pretty much zero chance of winning. When I was lvl 4, the only thing I could do with my Guardian back then was to use exclusively control skills to keep everyone on the ground so the people in my team who actually had some damage potential could kill them.

It’s not as large as in most other MMOs, though. A full asc traited 80 is about 3-4 times the power of a lvl 2. Whereas in most other MMOs, a level difference of 5 levels is already the same kind of power gap.

And the hardest content in the game is to carry dungeons with hopeless teammates. The hardest content that doesn’t rely on artificially inflating difficulty this way would be fractals, WvW and PvP, of which only the first two need geared level 80s. But doing level 50 fractals with people who know what they’re doing cannot begin to compare with how hard carrying Honor of the Waves Path II with really bad players can be. If by endgame you want high difficulty, that’s where it’s at.

Otherwise most people just run dungeons, fractals, WvW, PvP, farms and world exploration as an ‘endgame’. Whether you consider them all as endgame, or none of them, depends on your perspective, of course.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

Whats the point of the game when u reach lvl 80 if u cant uppgrade ur character, do more difficult dungeons when u get better gear

You can get full ascended and level 50 in fractals if you want to put some effort in. Takes a bit of time.

Most people play for fun though, and don’t want a forced gear grind..

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

PvE end game content can be as tough as you want it to be really, you just have to come up with your own challenges.

Take for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R79OYhnFEfQ
and several of the other videos on his channel

Something like this is ridiculously difficult, soloing those four mobs regularly is probably something less than .1% of the in game population can do then to take away the user interface so you can’t see skill cooldowns, and first person view making visibility tough, and I am shocked anyone can actually do this.

So while simply completing all the content in this game is fairly straight forward and easy, there are very difficult challenges you can come up with, you just have to think for your self a bit.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

The question is, why do you want to grind for gear so you can grind for gear? It’s pointless and exists purely to serve itself. Games are supposed to be fun, at the end of the day – not be a second job.

Gear with stats does not take long to acquire. Skill, however, does.

Gw 2 endgame questions

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

The endgame is having fun. All this leveling up crap is only in the game because ANet knew most players wouldn’t understand a game without levels.

You level up to 80 and THEN the game begins. You’re just in the pregame now.

Once you’re at level 80 you can get various armor for the looks or for the stats to allow you to optimize in different situations. You can do various PvE content like dungeons or exploring or just having fun with event chains. If you want a challenge in PvE, you can do Fractals of the Mists. It’s a dungeon where the difficulty scale goes up and up and rewards you well if you make it to the higher level stuff.

In World vs. World you’re doing a week long battle with your server against two other servers. There are all kinds of things you to can do to help your server control the maps.

In structured PvP, you can hone your personal skills in a 5 vs. 5 matchup and be really competitive if you like or just enjoy playing casually and get rewards from the reward track system.

The goal of the game is to enjoy yourself. Once you get to level 80 you can flesh out your characters skills and traits and armor and then do things you enjoy or face challenges.