Gw2 after death

Gw2 after death

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wulf.5431

Wulf.5431

This will probably be swallowed by all the crazy stuff happening right now, but a question. I love gw2, it’s probably my favourite game. What happens after its not supported? In 50 years, will I be able to play this game somehow, or will it be gone forever after its servers close? I’m pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, but at the same time it would be a huge bummer if I could no longer play my favourite characters anymore.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

ultima online
Initial release date: September 24, 1997
that is almost 20 years, soon
their servers are still up and running.

guild wars chapter 1 prophecies
First release: Guild Wars; April 26, 2005

12 years and the servers are still running.

i think unless the united states of america is wiped off the face of this earth, the servers should still be running.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

every game ends sooner or later sadly…

BUT this game will be up for a looooong time…

1 : art style is just pure win even in the long run

2 : Devs nonstop adding more and more NEW mechanics and additions and they aren’t affraid to totaly REMAKE anything when it gets realy outdated they alrleady did with allot of the stuff in the game.

You will burn out faster then the game dies devs make sure of that.

if the devs under the years keep adding more new mechanics and additions nonstop this game will have a LOOONG lifespan…

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

every game ends sooner or later sadly…

BUT this game will be up for a looooong time…

1 : art style is just pure win even in the long run

2 : Devs nonstop adding more and more NEW mechanics and additions and they aren’t affraid to totaly REMAKE anything when it gets realy outdated they alrleady did with allot of the stuff in the game.

You will burn out faster then the game dies devs make sure of that.

if the devs under the years keep adding more new mechanics and additions nonstop this game will have a LOOONG lifespan…

but … but …
ultima online has been going on for almost 20 years !

Gw2 after death

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Its impossible to know. While Ultima is still online, there are countless online games that have been taken down over the years. It depends on both the actions of Anet and our own participation.

Hate is Fuel.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

[…]

Mechanics don’t make a game good. Diverse, personalized story content and mindbogglers do — they make for fun and replayability.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

[…]

Mechanics don’t make a game good. Diverse, personalized story content and mindbogglers do — they make for fun and replayability.

Mechanics absolutely make a good game, if the mechanics were bad none of the stuff you brought up would matter, since no one would bother playing the once.

Hate is Fuel.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Age of Empires II is still played competitively online

http://www.voobly.com/games/view/Age-of-Empires-II-The-Conquerors

It’s being played for 18 years straight now. You can join the community and there are more than 600 players to compete with at any time.

Good games don’t vanish these days, just like that Facebook picture of you rocking an Elonian hair style.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Before this happens, Anet has still the options to revitalize the lifespan of the game by porting it over to consoles…

More and more of the lates MMORPGs are gettign ported over to conspoles now too…

Black Desert
Tera

lately announced next now even Blade & Soul coming next year onto consoles too.
What other companies can do with their games, can anet do too and its not so, as if people havebÄt requested for this change here also as well for several years now, as people recognizwe, that theres a trend for MMORPGs becoming more and more in the last years multi platform titles, instead of just beign PC only games, because you simply can reach with multi platform titles with crossplay online gaming a much bigger player audience, than you can do reach with a pc game only.

Sure, it increases the efforts for patching and content to be release when you have to do that foe multiple platforms, but it increases on the long run also the revenue you can earn with a game based on the sales of the copies of the game as also the sales from online gemstore platforms, be it earnings through the own ingame gemstore, or through external platforms from consoles like PSN and XBoxLive.

But its in the end anets own decision, if they want to go with their game that route of multi platforming, or not. Fact is, GW2 will be still there for many many years to come.
Alot of examples show how long lasting games have become in the past and stil lare runnign up until today.

The OP has absolutely not to worry about not being able to play his beloved characters anymore, therefore does this game run way too good, than that Anet would ever need to shut off the game completely

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Gw2 after death

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

This will probably be swallowed by all the crazy stuff happening right now, but a question. I love gw2, it’s probably my favourite game. What happens after its not supported? In 50 years, will I be able to play this game somehow, or will it be gone forever after its servers close? I’m pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, but at the same time it would be a huge bummer if I could no longer play my favourite characters anymore.

This is MMORPG. Meaning the game you have downloaded into your PC is only small portion of whole game. You need servers too, and they cost money to run. If the company is not making enough money, they can turn servers off very fast and there is no way to play the game after that.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

Nothing lasts forever, not even your own taste in games. I used to love Anarchy Online, and it’s still running, but I never play it anymore. Just enjoy the game now, don’t worry about the future.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

I would say it depends on ability of Anet to grow up in programming department.

Right now Anet is not capable of simple things:
- Make build templates (just silence)
- Make new character screen (spaghetti code they say)
- Fix dungeons (discontinued instead)
- Chat support for anything except western European alphabets (feels bad 5 years in, completely destroys local communities, new players of specific language groups just quit)

In the future GW2 would need to modernize at some point or it would be abandoned to a new game, like GW was. And only success of “GW3” would keep it afloat.

What modernize does mean?
- New modern engine
- Implementation of new engine to OLD zones
- Creating whole regions instead of small maps due to the new engine
- Possible console port
- Huge API development
- Stable content/business model (at least we have it now)

There is only one game on the market that actually do this: EVE-Online. But their programmers are beasts. Since 2003 there was 2 huge engine updates. And they pop out expansion size content every 6 month or so.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

[…]

You have that backwards. If game mechanics sucked you would not enjoy diversity/stories and mindbogglers.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Gw2 after death

Wulf.5431

I know I won’t be playing it for 50 years, but I’m sure that in 50 years going back and playing this game will hit me with a ton of nostalgia. I also have a hard time understanding private servers, maybe technology Wil be so advanced that your phone could have a private server on it in the future. I guess there’s no point in worrying, but I do love being able to pip in old cartridge games I played 20 years ago and relive old memories. Just wanted to know if anyone knew I’d be able to do that.

Gw2 after death

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

My first online game experience was in 1995. That game is still going albeit with a severely depleted population.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Gw2 after death

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

my very first MMO was RushOnSevenEpisodes also known as R.O.S.E online which was unique in that we could travel to seven planets and we had go kart mounts and ahh it was soo cool!

but the problem was that they had only implemented 2 planets before it shut down :< but after that i went to a private server which was good..

but also didn’t have all planets implemented but i still enjoyed playing it.

cheers to gw2 and its long future ahead :>

Gw2 after death

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

It’ll still be around in 50 years, trust me, I own a time machine.

Gw2 after death

Flatley.1620

I’ll make a prediction:

When the devs have all left and are programming total immersion narratives, when a terabyte is something your watch will laugh at (AI), when FTL is used by consumers just to get to the shops on 39ly Trappist 1f…

… there’ll be a hardcore Tyrian hosting the game on his nanobot quantum TV/matter transporter

(edited by Flatley.1620)

Gw2 after death

Wulf.5431

I’ll make a prediction:

When the devs have all left and are programming total immersion narratives, when a terabyte is something your watch will laugh at (AI), when FTL is used by consumers just to get to the shops on 39ly Trappist 1f…

… there’ll be a hardcore Tyrian hosting the game on his nanibot quantum TV/matter transporter

Thank u this wat I wanted. I’m gon take yo word as gospel

Gw2 after death

Flatley.1620

I’ll make a prediction:

… there’ll be a hardcore Tyrian hosting the game on his nanibot quantum TV/matter transporter

Thank u this wat I wanted. I’m gon take yo word as gospel

I preach. I am the voice from the outer world (said in a Bene Gesserit accent). This will pass, mark my words for is my name not Nostradamus? Mwahahaha.

Seriously though, hosting GW2 on a personal server 50 years from now isn’t really that much of a stretch.