Gw2 best mmo of the year

Gw2 best mmo of the year

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

well,gw2 released in 2012 as the best mmo with highest hype level (mmorpg.com for hype level) and it did became the top mmo of the year,also through out 2013 the gw2 stood out as best mmo of the year,sold 3500000 copies which is significant and made the game most successful mmo after wow in west,(i dont know whether it is released in china officially or not yet).
all that being said,gw2 going to face serious challenge from upcoming mmos,take it from eso to wildstar,and even archeage and some other mmos(not sure about others whether they come in 2014 or not,but if they do thing will get even more tough for gw2).
gw2 is almost 17 months old and with additional of 2 month from 21th of january,which we already know its about scarlet in 4 living world story,the game will get old enough for an expansion,yes expansion.
i think if anet want to continue to be the top mmo or at least remain among the top dogs it is time to announce their plans for expansion and they can release it by mid 2014,probably a month or 2 before second anniversary of the game.(something to celebarate)

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

I think they need to announce that they are finally going to optimize the game/client.

Other than that, a new class would certainly gather some hype.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

different crowd of players really.
eso = monthly subscription
wildstar = monthly subscription

arch age = errr trionworld game. not sure will have monthly subscription or not. lets see. defiance, no monthly sub. rift = free to play.

after some googling it seems like arch age will have monthly subscription.

so all 3 games that u mentioned will have monthly subscriptions.

no contest.
people will still play guild wars 2 due to no monthly subscription.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

OP the company knows what competition is coming out and when. That they have not arrived at your doorstep with a complete break-down of their future plans is I admit a shock. Have you tried calling to find out why?

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

1) There’s always a group of players hankering to play the latest, shiniest MMO. No matter what amazekitten feature their current MMO puts out, they will try the new one. Pretty much part of the MMO genre phenomenon at this point.

2) You don’t know what ArenaNet has up their sleeve. Remember when they went all “Sup, August 28th” announcement of launch date out of nowhere that left Blizzard scrambling so hard they launched an expac without raids?

3) I spent pretty much the whole weekend in overflow. Yup, 16 months after launch and it’s crazier than ever.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Well Blade&Soul is the most succesful MMO this year for sure. Breaking all records in a matter of weeks. But most people just don’t look too far to the East, even though that is no excuse to fail to see the giant at the horizon.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/09/blade-and-soul-surpasses-1-8-million-concurrent-users-in-china/

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

GW2 best mmorpg ever. Asuras are just so cute.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

different crowd of players really.
eso = monthly subscription
wildstar = monthly subscription

arch age = errr trionworld game. not sure will have monthly subscription or not. lets see. defiance, no monthly sub. rift = free to play.

after some googling it seems like arch age will have monthly subscription.

so all 3 games that u mentioned will have monthly subscriptions.

no contest.

Wildstar will have an option for a subscription but you also get playtime when buying gems and can earn ingame game-time. If that is really easy that you can see it as a F2P game, else at best i’s F2P with the requirement to buy gems.

Not sure what google you are using but archeage will most likely be F2P. It was sub-based in Japan or China but then had to go F2P. Because of that it will now also go F2P in Russia and there they said that would be the payment-system they would be using here as well.. However that has not officially be announced yet.

Then there is EverQuest Next (most likely released a little later then the other MMO’s but still 2014) that will also be F2P.

I think EQN has the biggest change in general of getting many players for a longer period but you never know. Success not guaranteed.

If GW2 would have a similar system as GW1 where they generated income by selling expansions then it would indeed be unique but generating money with mico-transactions is not unique and it always effects the game in a negative way.

Yes it is time for an expansion however a year of LS has not done much good to GW2 and the Tengu by itself will not be able to safe GW2. It really needs a huge expansion taking on mistakes that have been made in the core. Making it really an open world (no instanced maps), putting the rewards, mini’s and other items really into the world and not behind some general random drop but linked to specific content or mobs or whatever. Putting in mounts, making chairs sittable (and adding such features) and going to a model where they indeed generate income with expansions so they are not forced to make the same negative decisions again..

However you can wonder if the companies behind GW2 are even interested in that. While imho you should see a MMO as a long term investment it looks more and more that the companies behind GW2 see it very different. They try to squeeze out as much money as they possibly as then can and then move on to the next game.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Gw2 best mmo of the year

saye.9304

Well Blade&Soul is the most succesful MMO this year for sure. Breaking all records in a matter of weeks. But most people just don’t look too far to the East, even though that is no excuse to fail to see the giant at the horizon.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/09/blade-and-soul-surpasses-1-8-million-concurrent-users-in-china/

did i say gw2 is the best in the world or i said in the west,did u even read my post properly?

Gw2 best mmo of the year

saye.9304

OP the company knows what competition is coming out and when. That they have not arrived at your doorstep with a complete break-down of their future plans is I admit a shock. Have you tried calling to find out why?

did i say they have no plans for the future or i said that i am suggesting an expansion during 2014,although anet have not said anything about their plans in 2014 thats why i suggested that anet to get on it fast before release of other games.read the post properly please.thanks

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

I’ve been reading your post. But your titel is still misleading.
On the other hand, both games are owned by NCsoft, and B&S after a few weeks is what, 5 times more successful than GW2 after a year? Therefore we won’t have a China release for GW2 anytime soon.

Sorry, that I do not necessary divide the world into artificial locations and create borders where they are not needed.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

If they do a “traditional expansion” they run the risk of fracturing (no pun intended) the player base. That is far from optimal for this game. They would be better off rolling out an expansion through living world content that isn’t temporary.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

saye.9304

by the way,for people bringing up eastern numbers against west.china alone has 1.4 billion people add the number to population of japan and south korea and other east asian countries.so the number of gamers is very high there.but their games have been made mostly for asian taste and might not be successful in west,like tera or aion for example.this is mistake to compare.each game made for certain people and gw2 is made mostly to attract western people although it has asian players as well.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I’ve been reading your post. But your titel is still misleading.
On the other hand, both games are owned by NCsoft, and B&S after a few weeks is what, 5 times more successful than GW2 after a year? Therefore we won’t have a China release for GW2 anytime soon.

You really can’t compare the western and eastern market. Lineage 1 and 2 for example were the most successfull MMOs before WoW, both had over 2 million players i think however in the west Lineage 2 had only 64.000 Subscribers 2 months after release. Or look what happens to Aion here, while it is still very strong in the east.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Karizee.8076

Guild Wars 2 will be launched in China in 2014.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kongzhong-corporation-reports-unaudited-third-quarter-2013-financial-results-232738961.html

…business for the coming year. This includes the upcoming launches of World of Warplanes and Guild Wars 2 as well as…

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

People don’t look far to the East because it’s simply a very difficult comparison. First of all, China is a much larger market, so if you take that 1.8m as a proportion of all gamers in China vs GW2’s 430k (or something like that) concurrent users as a proportion of all western gamers, it might paint a different picture. I don’t know what that picture is but gaming is a bigger thing in the east than the west, especially Europe.

Furthermore, what works in the East often doesn’t work here. They had to tone down the grind for TERA’s western release.

Also, is B&B F2P? If so, that’s another massive distortion. F2P will generally have more players than B2P or P2P, and there will be a good proportion of that concurrent user amount being bots. On RuneScape, at one point about 50-60% of concurrent users were bots (found out after the first bot nuke).

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It is easy to be best MMO of the year when you are the ONLY MMO of the year. This year will be much more telling of the games health.

Though we should be able to get a good idea of the games health when they release the fractal leader boards. Since they aren’t retroactive we can just count the number of players on the leaderboard and that will give us a decent idea of how many people are playing.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It is easy to be best MMO of the year when you are the ONLY MMO of the year. This year will be much more telling of the games health.

Though we should be able to get a good idea of the games health when they release the fractal leader boards. Since they aren’t retroactive we can just count the number of players on the leaderboard and that will give us a decent idea of how many people are playing.

I think you’ll find a good portion of the people playing don’t do the fractals at all, period end of story. I have a guild are 150 people, and I think less than 50 of them have ever set foot in a fractal.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I will have to agree. No one in my guild has ever finished a fractal. Went in once, and never returned.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I think you’ll find a good portion of the people playing don’t do the fractals at all, period end of story. I have a guild are 150 people, and I think less than 50 of them have ever set foot in a fractal.

You can make that argument for any part of the game. This was a content update, I can only assume at least most people try the content, if not then the game is in even more trouble then I thought. Either way it will give us an idea of how many people are playing fractals during their most popular week, which is the first data we’ll have.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

This is true. Although my guild is filled with people who love fractals, there are many more players that don’t. There are also many people who play WvW and sPvP who don’t play any type of PvE. So the fractal leader boards are hardly an indication of the population of GW2.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

There is no value in free… otherwise everyone would be playing it, right? Or LoTRO, or SW:TOR, or… you get the idea. Free means nothing.

Players are willing to pay for a service they find value in… WoW continues to prove it to this day, and ESO and WildStar are creating packages for that value as well. Some people prefer the subscription because it lets the designers focus on game design instead of monetization.

If the only thing a game has going for it is “it’s free” then it’s already on the way to the grave.

Not saying that’s GW2, but, they really do have to announce something pretty major – an expansion, for example – to be seen as relevant in light of new competition.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

jheryn.8390

There is no value in free… otherwise everyone would be playing it, right? Or LoTRO, or SW:TOR, or… you get the idea. Free means nothing.

Players are willing to pay for a service they find value in… WoW continues to prove it to this day, and ESO and WildStar are creating packages for that value as well. Some people prefer the subscription because it lets the designers focus on game design instead of monetization.

If the only thing a game has going for it is “it’s free” then it’s already on the way to the grave.

Not saying that’s GW2, but, they really do have to announce something pretty major – an expansion, for example – to be seen as relevant in light of new competition.

Well, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one Zeldain. Most of my guild wanted to play ESO, but will not because of the subscription. I suspect many people play GW2 because of the F2P. I know I do.

Not saying that some will not migrate to other F2P games, but many, including myself, have a problem with subscriptions. For now, those people I play with love GW2 and plan on sticking with it no matter what.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Well, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one Zeldain. Most of my guild wanted to play ESO, but will not because of the subscription. I suspect many people play GW2 because of the F2P. I know I do.

Not saying that some will not migrate to other F2P games, but many, including myself, have a problem with subscriptions. For now, those people I play with love GW2 and plan on sticking with it no matter what.

What? You do realize that the sub fee is trivial so I don’t see why it would keep people from playing. And I don’t feel pressured to play to get my “money’s worth”. I mean, I have a Netflix subscription that I pay $8 a month for. Do I need to watch Netflix 24/7 to get my money’s worth? Of course not because part of that fee is having access whenever I want, to a bevy of content. Same with sub MMOs.

GW2 could never justify a sub fee because the permanent content just isn’t there.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Shocktor.4570

Shocktor.4570

ESO is the new Vanguard… it’s going to be very niche — the main competition is going to come from Wildstar and EQN. But I think GW2 is very well positioned to exist among these games,

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

WildStar has some cool features for sure…but it’ll come with a sub fee and it’s another generic MMO where males come in different sizes and personalities, whereas all female characters are skinny sex objects. =/

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I personally am looking forward to EQN, since it’s most likely the closest to GW2 among the upcoming MMO’s. And the features so far looks promising, like what GW2 would’ve been if the release was delayed for a year or something.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Has there been another MMO this year?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Coming into this year, I had the expectation that another game would at some point step up and take GW2’s place as the best MMO. With 2 weeks left in the year and no game that has come close, I feel fairly certain it’s not going to happen.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Has there been another MMO this year?

FFXIV I guess.. :/

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I will have to agree. No one in my guild has ever finished a fractal. Went in once, and never returned.

Did you send a rescue party? They could still be alive and waiting…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

High level fractals is just long. It appeals to some but not for me.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

This is mean-spirited, ad hominem and snarky. But it’s really good at being those things, it made me laugh and I agree with the sentiment.

Anet clearly knows what they’re doing. GW2 is not another failed WoW clone, and the pace at which the devs here react to problems is far above the industry average. These guys are pretty good. I think we can count on them to keep the game’s quality up.

What’s the worst case scenario, anyway? Someone comes out with a much better game next year? As a consumer of MMO’s, and a non-shareholder in NCSoft, that does not strike me as a disaster. We’re in a golden age for MMO’s. The more good choices, the more competition, the better

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

Gw2 best mmo of the year

jheryn.8390

What? You do realize that the sub fee is trivial so I don’t see why it would keep people from playing. And I don’t feel pressured to play to get my “money’s worth”. I mean, I have a Netflix subscription that I pay $8 a month for. Do I need to watch Netflix 24/7 to get my money’s worth? Of course not because part of that fee is having access whenever I want, to a bevy of content. Same with sub MMOs.

GW2 could never justify a sub fee because the permanent content just isn’t there.

Trivial is a matter of perspective. Maybe to you the sub fee is trivial, not to everyone. I have a guildmate that lives on a shoestring budget. He only has high speed internet and a computer that can handle GW2 because his work provides him with those things in order to occasionally work at home. You do realize that your view of what is trivial is a matter of opinion and a bit elitist right?

Not only that, there is a principle aspect to some people paying subs. It isn’t as if they cannot afford it, but feel that paying for game software and then having to pay monthly to play it offends some people.

Even if the software was free, some people just don’t want an additional bill to keep track of each month.

There are many reasons for not wanting to pay an additional fees.

Although I certainly can afford it, I don’t have a netflix account and I don’t want one. There is plenty of television/online entertainment that is free and keeps me very entertained without having to shell anything out additional each month. Kind of like GW2.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

It’s trivial if you only play one game. It gets expensive if you start juggling 3-5 MMOs at once.

That filters down to the design decisions made as well. Because of the above, the devs structure the game such that it’ll be your one MMO. You can’t pick up and just play them like you can GW2, you fall behind once you stop playing for a while.

If I quit GW2 for 6 months, I can come back and still do the new content. In P2P MMOs, I’ll come back and find out I need to grind through 6 months if gear/skill gates to do the newest content.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Dark Catalyst.1028

It’s trivial if you only play one game. It gets expensive if you start juggling 3-5 MMOs at once.

That filters down to the design decisions made as well. Because of the above, the devs structure the game such that it’ll be your one MMO. You can’t pick up and just play them like you can GW2, you fall behind once you stop playing for a while.

If I quit GW2 for 6 months, I can come back and still do the new content. In P2P MMOs, I’ll come back and find out I need to grind through 6 months if gear/skill gates to do the newest content.

WRONG. WoW introduced a catch up mechanic for new and returning players. My character was ready for the newest content in about 3 days.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Karizee.8076

Subscription fees are a scam. True story, I paid over $2000 playing WoW and at the end of the day I have nothing. I cannot login, I cannot view my characters – turns out I was only renting the game (very expensive rent to boot!).

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Dark Catalyst.1028

Subscription fees are a scam. True story, I paid over $2000 playing WoW and at the end of the day I have nothing. I cannot login, I cannot view my characters – turns out I was only renting the game (very expensive rent to boot!).

I don’t regret paying for something I enjoy. I do regret buying GW2 because they deviated from their original plan though. I just find it funny how people demand the world here when all they’ve paid was the box price and a few dollars in the gem store.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

I don’t regret paying for something I enjoy. I do regret buying GW2 because they deviated from their original plan though. I just find it funny how people demand the world here when all they’ve paid was the box price and a few dollars in the gem store.

I also find it funny when people come here with their opinion and think it is fact. Just from reading you post here I can see you are one of those people.

Also, I see you talk about regretting buying GW2, do you still play it? If not then why are you posting on here. That is another thing I see on these forums are ex-players that don’t play the game and don’t bring anything to the discussion other then their disdain for the game.

I am also like Jheryn, I won’t pay a sub again. There is too much free content out there to waste money on a game. I played Everquest and DAoC for years. By the time I stopped playing DAoC I had a family and my priorties had changed. That is when I found GW1 and now I won’t go back to playing a sub based game.

Also, to me, in my opinion, I don’t think ANET made that many changes that deviated from their plan. I find most of the content enjoyable, non-grindy, and fun to play. I think they have given us a good game, not great but good, and have a lot of room to grow with it. I have long term goals to work towards and content to enjoy now. So it is a matter of “OPINION” on whether or not they deviated from their original plans.

Hjorje

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Dark Catalyst.1028

I also find it funny when people come here with their opinion and think it is fact. Just from reading you post here I can see you are one of those people.

Also, I see you talk about regretting buying GW2, do you still play it? If not then why are you posting on here. That is another thing I see on these forums are ex-players that don’t play the game and don’t bring anything to the discussion other then their disdain for the game.

I am also like Jheryn, I won’t pay a sub again. There is too much free content out there to waste money on a game. I played Everquest and DAoC for years. By the time I stopped playing DAoC I had a family and my priorties had changed. That is when I found GW1 and now I won’t go back to playing a sub based game.

Also, to me, in my opinion, I don’t think ANET made that many changes that deviated from their plan. I find most of the content enjoyable, non-grindy, and fun to play. I think they have given us a good game, not great but good, and have a lot of room to grow with it. I have long term goals to work towards and content to enjoy now. So it is a matter of “OPINION” on whether or not they deviated from their original plans.

Because I spent hundreds of dollars here and I have a right to voice my thoughts. That’s why I still post. And I actually LIKED the game the first few months after release.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

How does spending money have anything to do with playing the game. Your not in the game to find out how things are. You are here on the forums, which is usually negative to begin with, to find things out. I don’t see how that works. To me, playing the game gives you the information about how the game is, not coming here reading about when people have a problem with parts of the game. Very narrow minded in my opinion.

Hjorje

Gw2 best mmo of the year

jheryn.8390

Because I spent hundreds of dollars here and I have a right to voice my thoughts. That’s why I still post. And I actually LIKED the game the first few months after release.

I don’t see where Hjorje or anyone else is questioning your right to voice your opinion. I think he, as do I, find it strange that you cannot move on if you dislike the game so much. Even if you did spend that much on the game, no one forced you to spend the money beyond the game price.

It just feels like you are here to provoke other posters who disagree with you. I might appreciate what you have to say, but you are so unnecessarily confrontational.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

How in creation did you spend $2000 playing WoW? I just gotta hear this one.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Karizee.8076

How in creation did you spend $2000 playing WoW? I just gotta hear this one.

Subscription fees, server and faction changes, pets and mounts from their cash shop, box costs, expansion costs – it all adds up!

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I don’t see where Hjorje or anyone else is questioning your right to voice your opinion. I think he, as do I, find it strange that you cannot move on if you dislike the game so much. Even if you did spend that much on the game, no one forced you to spend the money beyond the game price.

It just feels like you are here to provoke other posters who disagree with you. I might appreciate what you have to say, but you are so unnecessarily confrontational.

I don’t think it’s strange at all. There has been NOTHING to come out this year that’s worth your time. Without a good distraction there’s nothing to do but stew. It may not be healthy, but I’ve seen many people not get over an ex until they found someone new.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

jheryn.8390

I don’t think it’s strange at all. There has been NOTHING to come out this year that’s worth your time. Without a good distraction there’s nothing to do but stew. It may not be healthy, but I’ve seen many people not get over an ex until they found someone new.

LOL. True about the exes and the not being healthy. However, most people just wallow in their grief or anger. They usually blame the ex for their predicament, they don’t deliberately take it out on the people around them.

And it still doesn’t change the fact that there a lot of people who really enjoy the game. I’m one of them. If someone doesn’t like it that is perfectly OK, just don’t try to ruin it for the rest of us.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

This game start to get boring……in fact i am used to a big fan of GW1
1 played it when it release. mostly until GW2 come out.

but GW2 now i played 17 month feel like not much to play now.

i got 10 character, all class in 80s…. 2 legendary weapon…fractal backpack & weapon skin

dont want to keep making legendary, not a fans of pvp… mostly everyday i am doing is dungeon & WvW..

really dont like the LS system… i more prefer expansion…. whole new map, class, skill, LS it never like Expansion…

Truly i think i gona move to wild star next year. so much disappointing

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

It depends on how you look at it. Personally if this is all the west has to show for. . . well it’s all a bit depressing.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

GW2 is one of the top MMOs, but depending on what you look at the story is different. Here is Raptr and their top MMOs. Raptr has 30 million users and sometimes data can be skewed due to promotions.

Week

1) WoW
2) FFXIV
3) SWTOR
4) GW2
5) Rift

http://raptr.com/dashboard/games

All MMOs will suffer with the new MMOs coming out.

Gw2 best mmo of the year

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

Time is money. So all MMOs can be scams. If you spent 2,000 hours playing MMOs, that is money. Regardless of the business model of the MMO.