Gw2 player burnout, PvE gold Grind

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ballistic.2570

Ballistic.2570

All this farming is no good. Endless farming is not fun and in my opinion it drives people away from the game. The only viable ways to earn gold in gw2 is through farming. If you want gold you can farm bloodstone fen, do Auric Basin multiloot, Silverwastes, node farming and so on. The PvE side of gw2 is just a gold grind. Players get to lvl 80 and start farming for gold, then after a little while they realise the game stopped being fun and they move onto something else.

I have a daily routine for gold making that I knock out quick, that way I can get onto the fun stuff. I personally enjoy WvW very much. Unfortunately it’s an expensive facet of gw2 with constantly shifting gear requirements. One quarter it’s Soldier’s gear with Melandru runes, next quarter it’s Sentinels gear, this quarter it’s Wanderer’s with Durability runes. The fact is it’s pricey and you will never make a copper out of it. I spend 40g a week just on food and stones.

People farm gold for different reasons of course, in my case I wanted my main classes to be properly geared. Now that they are, I am happy to share my method for anyone who is interested. This is a low intensity farm that will get you around 30g a day and takes around 2 hours.

I do 3 things.

First I do my daily crafting, this is a 7 day cycle. On Saturdays I craft 7 each of Deldrimor steel ingot, Spiritwood plank, Elonian leather square and Bolt of damask. These 4 items each use a different time gated material which can only be crafted once per day. So I log in each day and craft one of each of the time gated materials. On Saturday when I have 7 of each. I craft the above named mats and I list them on the trading post at one copper less than the existing lowest sell offer. The demand for these items is high because they are time gated, so it’s easy gold. I Place buy orders for all the mats on Tuesday night before I log off, This is the time I find mats to be cheapest throughout the week. Saturday is when mats are the most expensive, which is why I list them then. The site to use for this is https://gw2efficiency.com. copy and paste the names of the mats into the crafting tab, change the quantity to 7, follow the instructions, bookmark it for future reference and you’re in business. Average gold per week: around 40. All-in it may be around 50.

The second thing I do everyday is fractals. The idea here is not to get gold directly from the fractal rewards but from Fractal Encryption Keys. You buy 30 a day at a rate of 20s and a fractal relic per key. so it’s 6g and 30 fractal relics for 30 of these keys. You can use a pristine fractal relic at one of the vendors to buy a bag of fractal relics (15). So just by doing tier one daily fractals you can get your 30 keys. be careful though, you can buy more keys at a more expensive price, be sure to stop after 30 as the price will go up and you may not notice. This happened to me when I was testing this method and I ended up buying 150 keys at 30s which is a huge increase over 20s. I wait until I have a stack of keys (250)

The keys are used to unlock a ‘Fractal Encryption’ which is like a loot bag. These are given as rewards at the end of the fractals but you will have to buy most of them off the tp. Put in buy order at around 20s -22s.

Using myself as an example. I do tier 2/3 daily fractals every day, I get a fair few keys and boxes from rewards so about once a week I open a stack (250) boxes. Taking the worst possible situation, let’s assume you have to buy every key and box. 250 keys = 50g. 250 Fractal Encryptions @ 22s = 55g. so that’s 105g max for the mats. opening the 250 boxes is gonna get you 120g-130g so I guess this only works if you can do tier 2 fractals. I make about 70g a week from it with tier 2/3 fractals. After you open the boxes go to a vendor and sell junk (that’s where most of the gold comes from) then sell the mats on tp. It normally takes me a little over an hour to do the 5 daily fractals, maybe an hour and a half.
The third thing I do is one (and only one) Auric Basin Multiloot run. As you may have guessed there’s a long winded explanation coming of exactly what I do to maximise my profit. You need 2 characters and a 3rd character at lvl 53. Each run gets you 15g minimum. It’s where most of my gold comes from really. This guy does a pretty good job of explaining how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxldl8f7Xsw I just have a few things that I do to ensure that I get the most loot possible.
Okay so I have a thief and a warrior. For this example I’m going to go with the premise the the Meta event will start at 12:00. I move my warrior to the waypoint in the lost city at 11:40, so that when I switch to him later I don’t have to go through a loading screen to get him onto the map. Alot of the time (50/50 at least) he is already in one of the successful maps. So I just drag my emblem into the right subgroup and I’m looting with minimum downtime. The lost city waypoint become unavailable at 11:45 so it’s important to get your second loot class on that waypoint before that.

Next I switch to thief and go to Auric Basin. I like to go either North or West. Thief has powerful movement abilities so he’s good on either. I look on LFG for a commander that is taxiing people in, preferably with 2 or more commanders. This way I’m on a good map. Once I’m on a good map I open LFG and look for a multiloot squad. If I join a squad where my map’s subsquad is full, I leave that squad. The comm will want you to look for a new map or join a subsquad with space. Either option is bad. Leave the squad and try another multiloot squad. New ones will get set up at about 11:55 usually so don’t be tempted to leave your map to get into a multiloot squad. When you see a new multiloot squad pop up in LFG, jump in and drap your emblem either to the bottom; forming a new sub squad, or to an existing subsquad for your map with spaces. This really is the key to the whole thing so I hope I’ve described it clearly.

Now that you’re on a good map and in a multiloot squad; you can’t lose. Your well chosen map should finish the event at at about 12:10-12:12 any later than this and you’re losing out on loot. even if only 5 maps succeed, you can whip through them quick on a fast class, and then swap to your second looting class and go through them again. You should definitely be getting kitten rares each run.
At 12:30 it’s done. I take my warrior to the pvp area (access to a bank) I check tp prices, I sell any rare worth more than 44s and salvage the rest. I deposit all the bags into my bank. On Thief I do the same, into PvP area, check tp, then salvage, then put bags in bank.

On Saturday I open all the bags on my lvl 53 character. I use most of them for my weekly crafting cycle, which really increases the amount of gold I get from crafting. I salvage the ecto that I don’t use. Ecto salvages into Pile of Crystalline Dust at an average rate of 1.8 and also gives alot of luck. It’s a good way to get more magic find and it keeps AB multiloot attractive to people who sell their ecto, although at the moment you’ll get more gold by salvaging it and then selling the Piles of Crystalline Dust.

Bonus: hop over to the guild hall and mine those nodes. This is the only node farming I do, it only takes a minute.

Anyway that’s my daily routine for gold, It’s not amazing or anything but on average, when everything is taken into account and totted up; I make around 250g a week by doing this. Then I swan over to WvW and get smashed by blobs on EB… but I love it xD

P.S This is one loooooong post. If you read it all you have my condolences. It’s 4 AM here and I can’t sleep o.o

(edited by Ballistic.2570)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

You didn’t mention if you harvest the nodes in your home instance. Just curious if that was overlooked or intentional.

Posted by: Ballistic.2570

Ballistic.2570

You didn’t mention if you harvest the nodes in your home instance. Just curious if that was overlooked or intentional.

I’m a bit hazy on the details of home instance node farming, I’ve never been to my home instance. Don’t you have to buy the nodes for ludicrously high amounts of gold/gems. My guild is lvl 64 so the guild nodes are quick and easy.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Farming is a big thing in MMO’s. This isn’t a console game.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’m a bit hazy on the details of home instance node farming, I’ve never been to my home instance. Don’t you have to buy the nodes for ludicrously high amounts of gold/gems. My guild is lvl 64 so the guild nodes are quick and easy.

According to the wiki page, there are some 36 nodes available, some of which are indeed purchased from the gem store. Others come from black lion chests, vendors or even come free from certain achievements. So far I’ve collected the nodes for candy corn, aurilium, quartz, bloodstone, the wintersday tree, the bandit chest, and the three HoT chests. The tree is helping me finish the wintersday drinking ach. The others are useful too, apart from salvaging/selling. I’m a bit of a node collector but even if you’re just looking for gold, I’d say it’s worth getting a few of these. Or you can find somebody who has them (maybe in your guild) and get them to let you into their home.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_instance

EDIT: I’m not online as often as I used to be, but if you want to see what these nodes look like in a home instance, email me. There are home instances for each of the races but I find DR to be the most efficient for getting around and finding your nodes.

EDIT 2: Also, farming in a home instance counts towards the daily gatherer achievement if you’re in the right zone.

(edited by Zoltar MacRoth.7146)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Sounds like too much work…to me.

But, happy farming (grinding) to you. =)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

According to the wiki page, there are some 36 nodes available, some of which are indeed purchased from the gem store. Others come from black lion chests, vendors or even come free from certain achievements. So far I’ve collected the nodes for candy corn, aurilium, quartz, bloodstone, the wintersday tree, the bandit chest, and the three HoT chests. The tree is helping me finish the wintersday drinking ach. The others are useful too, apart from salvaging/selling. I’m a bit of a node collector but even if you’re just looking for gold, I’d say it’s worth getting a few of these. Or you can find somebody who has them (maybe in your guild) and get them to let you into their home.

EDIT: I’m not online as often as I used to be, but if you want to see what these nodes look like in a home instance, email me. There are home instances for each of the races but I find DR to be the most efficient for getting around and finding your nodes.

I have those, plus Sprocket and Cloth, and I use the Grove as easiest to access the nodes. @OP, I didn’t purchase any, except Cloth (on sale once), and find them to offer a decent amount of Gold.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I have those, plus Sprocket and Cloth, and I use the Grove as easiest to access the nodes. @OP, I didn’t purchase any, except Cloth (on sale once), and find them to offer a decent amount of Gold.

It’s interesting that you prefer Grove. I started with that but found it annoying to go up and down the ramps and sometimes the bandit chest would be inside a wall.
DR is more open plan, man of the nodes are in the plaza and it’s mostly flat. Now, if I could just place all the nodes where I wanted, I could make a nice artistic arrangement in the plaza and admire them all together.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I’d be burned out too if I had a detailed farming routine that read like a novel. If people like to grind for gold then more power to them but if you don’t like doing something, just don’t do it. If 40g is too much to spend in WvW, do what I do and spend nothing. I don’t tag up, I eat community food, and I just wander or follow zergs.

The only “farm” I do is a daily visit to my home instance which has quite a few nodes now. So between that, 2g from dailies, and casual playing I make between 25-50g a week. A tiny fraction but it’s a lot more fun and a lot less grind.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But if you’re in a guild with helpful people, you can farm their home instance and do none of the work. I offer to take people into my home instance every single day, for example. I’m only missing the three new black lion nodes, iron, hardwood and flax.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

See, I get gold, but I don’t grind gold. I enjoy making legendaries, so I do that. I make a legendary. I plan to keep one and sell one, to fund my habit. It’s not really that hard to do, it just takes a long time. But I’m okay with that.

If you want everything, you’re always going to have to farm gold. If you don’t want everything, or you’re happy taking your time, you don’t.

Gold farming is a choice.

I don’t farm gold. I get gold from doing fractals, when my friends run them. I get gold from doing Silverwastes, if I feel like it. I get gold from doing AB if I happen to be in the zone and it’s starting.

But most of the time I’m working on collections, banging around the world and just stopping to do stuff that’s happening around me.

I don’t make gold in the most efficient way possible. But I’m not burned out either.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Yes, why is it necessary to have gold.
Its not real, and theres nothing in the game thats essential to play the game that needs gold.
MMOs are supposed to be fun , so why do things in the game that arnt fun?
The only gold I have is whatever rewards I get from events and jumping puzzles, and I do them because they are fun.
No grinding needed at all.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’ll cut to the chase: no, this game is only a gold grind if you want stuff now. If you like the game, you can toodle around all over, sell stuff you don’t need, and buy stuff you need.

I hate farming. I like Bloodstone Fen well enough to do the dailies, but that’s it; I don’t stay for the constructs unless they are up when I’m there. Same with the other zones: I’ll repeat metas when they are fun (for me), but otherwise no.

And I get all sorts of coin anyhow, even if it’s not as quick as it is for farmers.

Convenience items and skins cost a lot. Basic gear doesn’t cost a lot relative to what we make from just playing the game. If farming is burning you out, stop worrying about getting as much gold as the next person and find stuff you like to do.

Endless farming is not fun and in my opinion it drives people away from the game.

Endless farming is not fun for a lot of people (although others love it).

The only viable ways to earn gold in gw2 is through farming.

That’s demonstrably not true. You get 14g/week just from dailies. You get gold from dungeons, fractals, WvW & PvP rewards tracks, and well, everything we do in the game yields ‘stuff’ which can be sold for gold.

The PvE side of gw2 is just a gold grind.

Again, no. It’s only a grind if you are in a rush to get stuff.

Players get to lvl 80 and start farming for gold, then after a little while they realise the game stopped being fun and they move onto something else.

That’s a circular argument. Of course if people spend all their time doing something that’s boring to do all the time, it’s going to drive them away. I recommend doing anything other than farming.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: brokenrabbit.6538

brokenrabbit.6538

This is a low intensity farm that will get you around 30g a day and takes around 2 hours.

I can get that with about two hours in Sparkfly Fen gathering Hard Wood and Plat. I usually show up in the map about an hour before Teq and this gives me time to hit all the nodes. After the Teq fight the map will start to collapse (Few players remaining on this map…) and after transitioning to the new map all the nodes are back plus the rich nodes (minus the unique ones you can only get once a day), so I spend another hour hitting all the nodes.

Having the Watchwork Mining Pick definitely adds 3-5 gold to the daily total.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I would probably burn out after a week of this grind regime, and I grinded a whole lot of garbage AP no sane person would ever touch.^^

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s sad when people can’t break away from this mentality of ‘farming’ … and Anet even tries to help break the habit.

I guess if farming is your thing, this would be a good reference but it’s not really necessary.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But if you’re in a guild with helpful people, you can farm their home instance and do none of the work. I offer to take people into my home instance every single day, for example. I’m only missing the three new black lion nodes, iron, hardwood and flax.

I’m not sure what Home Instance gathering has to do with the OP’s rather involved farm/grind routine.

I already gather in my Home Instance daily; more than that, and Guild-gather, and I would likely find it a chore.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It’s sad when people can’t break away from this mentality of ‘farming’ … and Anet even tries to help break the habit.

I guess if farming is your thing, this would be a good reference but it’s not really necessary.

Nothing will stop people complaining. ANet can’t make things that are worthwhile having easy to get so that people will have no ‘grind’ can they? Otherwise there will be nothing to set your sights on to. People will complain about that. Its a no-win situation.

There really is no reason to farm anything ever. It’s all self imposed.

This in mind, I do like to farm and I wish there were more viable farms in this game, for example farming specific materials from specific mobs, it would be nice if you could actually do that reliably, but you can’t due to DR.

Another method that makes good coin is to park all your characters at Paggas Elder Wood Plantation and then you can farm 200 Elder wood every hour in like 5 mins, then go do something else around the house or w/e, then do it again and again. Once you have the wood, refine it into logs, then make staff components to sell to the lazy people and double your profits. Can make 100g+ a day (depending on how many character you have and how much time you wanna invest) and it only requires minimal input.

Also;
https://www.gw2efficiency.com/gathering/permanent-nodes

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

So uuuuh… What do you need the gold for? What on earth are you using it for? PvE have minor expenses, sPvP got none. The only thing that can cost alot in GW2 is WvW.

If you are working for legendary or a full set of ascended armor, let me tell you a secret: its worthless. I have several legendaries and too much ascended kitten to count and I’d sell it all if I could.

I play WvW for like 1-3 hours every day. PvE maybe 2h a week, more when I do world exploration (comes and goes in burst every other month). I dont farm, I dont do dungeons, I dont do fractals, I havent even PvE raided once… Still I dont need any money. I got thousands of gold.

I get that some people love PvE. Thats fine. But going into it just for the farm and daily gold income statistics is going to be exhausting. Enjoy the journey instead. Maybe you’ll even find a precursor on the way.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

See, I get gold, but I don’t grind gold.

I don’t make gold in the most efficient way possible. But I’m not burned out either.

Amen to that.

The only times I’ve ever found myself really grinding was for my first legendary – I would farm Omnomberries on all my alts a few months after release to fund all the Onyx Lodestones. I farmed pretty hard for the stupid amalgamated gemstones for my Astralaria more recently.

I have 5 legendaries in total and the other three only really got made because I looked in my bank and realised I had the ability to craft one. Doing a little every day in this game really adds up and is often overlooked. I guess, though, players want their prestige loot right now and that’s what burns them out.

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

To be honest sometimes I feel like it’s my second job.
Boss train takes half of the day with almost no rewards(spoon) then do the crafting maybe go do some farming for nodes.
I don’t play PvP because of the current PvP imbalance both WvW and Arena.
Raiding nobody takes you or they asks for a lot of money…some even real money via PayPal
Dungeons are gone…
Fractals I never really liked it because of the mechanics.
Guild is almost dead
Most of the people lost their sense of humor(I was reported and banned 1 day for a pervy joke on which 2 ears ago many laughed lol…)
Exploring…I would give up all the rewards it can give just to have the full map explored,I don’t like it.

What could be done about?
I would be agree for harder events but better rewards AND in hard I dont mean the usual mechanics which Anet tends to use like Down+instant kill or just Instant kill in split second or knock down+DoT,I mean invent something new,these are boring and obsolete and theres a difference between hard and annoying.
Pre-Events,all events should have one and not like Fire Elemental where you sit and watch 5 minutes how a robot spins around and the npcs which spawns are decimated in seconds while dozens just sit around and watch.
For example I like to melee Golem Mark 2 and it’s challangeing but again the High Hp pool and knockdown+die mechanics are obsolete and annoying but the randomly spawning electrical fields give some challange.
Event like Defense of Tarir is somewhat I am looking foward in the future where you can have serious amount of rewards,requirement of commanders and challange,not like Tequatle where commanders are just to keep people on the map and rewards…everyone of us have met The Spoon…

one more thing should be to develop further the games iconic feature the commander tag same as with mentors.
It should gain experience,ranks for events,achievements for leading etc the only problem I don’t know how it can be solved that the commanders to not overwhelm the maps.

Guild Wars 2 have potential to be less grindy with more fun and many gold making options are available but need to be introduced new features,new things and I am not reffering to currencies and make ascended obtainable harder…I mean real the example I can give is about Assassin’s Creed if someone played can see a progressive evolution in meaning of gameplay with each new game for example; in the first you were not able to swim later you had to swim because you were a pirate.Testing new things out and adding them is not a bad things just be sure it worths it and fits the gameplay.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

See, I get gold, but I don’t grind gold. I enjoy making legendaries, so I do that. I make a legendary. I plan to keep one and sell one, to fund my habit. It’s not really that hard to do, it just takes a long time. But I’m okay with that.

If you want everything, you’re always going to have to farm gold. If you don’t want everything, or you’re happy taking your time, you don’t.

I don’t farm gold. I get gold from doing fractals, when my friends run them. I get gold from doing Silverwastes, if I feel like it. I get gold from doing AB if I happen to be in the zone and it’s starting.

But most of the time I’m working on collections, banging around the world and just stopping to do stuff that’s happening around me.

Couldn’t agree more, this is very much me also.

Gold grind is a completely player driven phenomenon, and I suspect largely spilled over from the capitalist world. And many seem to not know how to turn off. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s my observation, and it’s certainly gotten worse in mmos over the last 15 years or so.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

IMO you only need to farm or grind gold if you want to earn gold quickly. Most of the time I just play whatever I feel like and simply wait until I have enough gold and/or materials for the next thing I want to buy. It takes longer but it’s more fun and that’s my top priority for a game.

I almost never farm anything and when I do it’s usually something quick like doing one circuit of Bloodtide Coast mining the ore nodes in the water. Or when I needed Manganese Dioxide so I parked 1 character in Iron Marches and did a circuit of the lakes once or twice a day harvesting coral.

Sometimes I’ll try to plan ahead. For example I’m currently making my second legendary (The Bifrost) and I have a list of everything I need for that so if I come across anything useful which I’d normally sell (like crafting mats I already have 250 of) I’ll hang onto it. Or I’ll do things like craft 1 Glob of Elder Spirit Residue a day because I know later on there will be a stage where I need lots of them.

If I need a lot of gold at short notice I have a few ‘tricks’ I can resort to. Like selling crafting materials I’ll probably never use, converting karma to gold or a few quick farming spots. But I very rarely do that, the last time was last Halloween when I needed 100,000 candy corn for the Mini Gwynefyrdd.

I don’t deny it’s slower than if you go out of your way to always do the most profitable things, but playing this way I’ve still been able to get 1 legendary and I’m about 1/2 way through my second, ascended trinkets on 4 characters and nearly a full set of ascended on one of them, a mini pet collection worth several thousand gold (plus several that came from specific achievements or collections) and a bunch of other stuff. I have a constantly mental ‘shopping list’ of stuff I want and I get the item at the top of the list whenever I find I can afford it.

I actually don’t mind waiting to get things I want, I find it’s exciting to look forward to getting it. And there’s always something else I’ll want to get so it’s not like I can ever be finished with it anyway.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Gold grind is a completely player driven phenomenon, and I suspect largely spilled over from the capitalist world. And many seem to not know how to turn off. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s my observation, and it’s certainly gotten worse in mmos over the last 15 years or so.

Grinding for gold specifically might have gotten worse but I think you’d have to go all the way back to MUDs to find online games where people weren’t grinding. (And then only because I don’t think it was possible or had any real benefit.)

When I used to play Ultima Online in the late 90’s it was very common for people to discuss good grinding spots, places where you could max out skill in a day.

As a kid, using dial-up, it took me a long time to understand that they didn’t mean playing normally for the 1 hour a day I was allowed to play – they meant standing there for 8-10 hours or more doing nothing but using that one skill over and over and over again until you had maxed it out and could then use it to do something fun (or more likely go and grind the next thing you wanted).

It was easier to understand how my sister always had more money than me – her way of playing consisted of making a circuit of cloth and metal nodes once a day and then standing in town crafting armour for people. (That and scamming newbies…luckily, considering we shared an account, her siblings caught her before the GMs did and put a stop to that.) But the trouble is that was all she did. If she took a day off she lost not only the profit from that day but her reputation as a reliable crafter and potentially loyal customers. In all the years we played the game she never got much beyond the starting city.

Whereas I would much rather be broke and roaming the virtual wilderness. And that goes double now those wildernesses are so much bigger, prettier and more elaborate.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

yeah I agree with you, I find that correct way to play the game! Just play and enjoy the game and everything will come! There is like no need for real gold cuz mats and all other things you can get just by playing! It’s so awesome!!!

I agree with you 100%! My man!

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

You spend 40g a week on food and stones for WvW? Seems like that’s the problem to me.

Perfect is the enemy of good. IMO, it’s far better to downgrade to the cheaper variants of consumables and enjoy what you like playing with stats that are a little less than the very best than have to spend time grinding gold to afford the best buffs.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

:shrugs: I refuse to do things to earn gold in the game. Just playing the things I want (with the occasional required content for whatever trinket I want to get next) is good enough for me. Setting a schedule to farm in game currency is ludicrous to me.

SBI

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

I have not felt compelled to grind since LS1 and the 2 week releases/temp achievements.
Well, maybe the pvp seasons to some extent.

But with content being permanent like it is now (other than the festivals), Things get done when they get done.

Play the game doing things you enjoy. Accumulate wealth, items, materials as you have fun in whatever way or mode that may be.

Teh Ouchies

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

As a completionist, there’s plenty that I could use gold on; buying every miniature, every dye, getting the last items for the treasure hunter collection that aren’t dropping…

Fortunately, I’m a patient completionist. I make little advances here and there as the gold comes in through normal play.

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

You spend 40g a week on food and stones for WvW? Seems like that’s the problem to me.

Perfect is the enemy of good. IMO, it’s far better to downgrade to the cheaper variants of consumables and enjoy what you like playing with stats that are a little less than the very best than have to spend time grinding gold to afford the best buffs.

Exactly, you can pay 1g for the permanent outfitter item in WvW, then use badges to buy the “next best” food to use and it costs nothing. Bam, 40g saving per week.

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

Exactly, you can pay 1g for the permanent outfitter item in WvW, then use badges to buy the “next best” food to use and it costs nothing. Bam, 40g saving per week.

As stated this is for wvw. 40 players running food that gives 60 stats going against a group of players with food giving 80 stats is a difference of 800 stats (basic example). Include the fact you could be fighting near a tower with all those guild buffs that gives the enemy another 200 stats per player higher than your group…

You see how this rapidly snowballs out of control right? Much of this is fundamental problem wrong with WvW (such as giant stat boosts from buffs) but working with the system we currently have 10~20 stats spread across enough players is a pretty huge difference.

As it stands it is either use the best food & have the best chance at winning or using subpar food and limiting yourself.

(edited by Allison The Strange.4519)

Ayrilana.1396

As stated this is for wvw. 40 players running food that gives 60 stats going against a group of players with food giving 80 stats is a difference of 800 stats (basic example). Include the fact you be fighting near a tower with all those guild buffs that gives the enemy another 200 stats per player higher than your group…

You see how this rapidly snowballs out of control right? Much of this is fundamental problem wrong with WvW (such as giant stat boosts from buffs) but working with the system we currently have 10~20 stats spread across enough players is a pretty huge difference.

As it stands it is either use the best food & have the best chance at winning or using subpar food and limiting yourself.

They’re just stats. If the combined stats increases DPS of a single player by 5%, it increases the DPS of the entire affected group by 5% as well.

I also recall celestial giving more stats that the other stats sets. Does this mean players are better off all running celestial?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

As stated this is for wvw. 40 players running food that gives 60 stats going against a group of players with food giving 80 stats is a difference of 800 stats (basic example). Include the fact you be fighting near a tower with all those guild buffs that gives the enemy another 200 stats per player higher than your group…

They’re just stats. If the combined stats increases DPS of a single player by 5%, it increases the DPS of the entire affected group by 5% as well.

I also recall celestial giving more stats that the other stats sets. Does this mean players are better off all running celestial?

Guild Objective Auras – 100 power, 100 precision, 100 toughness, 100 vitality
Presence of the Keep – Players gain double the effectiveness of the keep’s objective aura

I could be wrong but don’t ALL of those stats effect ALL power builds making them hit harder, crit more often, and tankier? Even with most condi builds this is beneficial as most still use precision & all benefit from the extra tankiness.

Also comparing 4 stats to celestial is like comparing apples to oranges, sure they are both fruit but really aren’t similar…

Ayrilana.1396

Guild Objective Auras – 100 power, 100 precision, 100 toughness, 100 vitality
Presence of the Keep – Players gain double the effectiveness of the keep’s objective aura

I could be wrong but don’t ALL of those stats effect ALL power builds making them hit harder, crit more often, and tankier? Even with most condi builds this is beneficial as most still use precision & all benefit from the extra tankiness.

Also comparing 4 stats to celestial is like comparing apples to oranges, sure they are both fruit but really aren’t similar…

And yet I was specifically referring to the following bolded parts of your post:

As stated this is for wvw. 40 players running food that gives 60 stats going against a group of players with food giving 80 stats is a difference of 800 stats (basic example). Include the fact you could be fighting near a tower with all those guild buffs that gives the enemy another 200 stats per player higher than your group…

You’re summing up the amount of stat points that a particular player gets across all players. It’s just misleading and really no different than if it were a 5% damage boost instead of just stats.

So no. The damage difference between the top food and the previous tier isn’t that different. The grind for gold to get the top food isn’t necessary. You’re also assuming that an entire server will have one tier while the other has another. In no way would this ever happen.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

“Endless farming is not fun and in my opinion it drives people away from the game.”

Diablo, one of the most successful series modern gaming, would like a word with you. But seriously aRPGs (of which gw2 is one) are nothing but grinding for gear.

You see what your complaining about people actually complained the opposite of. Ascended armor and time gating and all that exists specifically because players whined that there was no grind. So Anet (bless their souls) gave grind!

Blame your fellow compatriots.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’m not sure what’s the point here. You decided to devote your time to a tedious and unenjoyable activity every single day. What else would have happened? Your account doesn’t delete itself if you don’t get the gold. You say you make 250g a week. If you only do this 5/7 days, your rate would drop to 178g/week, but honestly 72g isn’t worth your soul.

And spending 40g a week on food isn’t really too bad. Pure daily gold is already 14 so that covers 1/3 the cost and surely whatever you do in the time should net 26 gold. And while I’ll agree level 60-70 food is usually not a big diffrence from most level 80 food, there are foods that don’t really have a lower level counterpart, eg Mussels Gnashblade,

Typically I’m cheap. So for casual runs I do Saffron Bread or Sage Salad (Whatever the +8% while moving damage food is though I now just use the provisioner to get it. ). So that’s about 6-7 silver and then I run the potent superior sharpening stone because it lasts 1 hour— that’s actually more important than the stat boost to me. (20s) So I’d spend about ~33s per hour. If I play about 20 hours a week, that is about 7g not even with the best consumables. And then there’s siege…

Anyhow, I’m sure if someone was more hardcore 40g isn’t a big deal. Of course, even if I were to spend like that, I would still have no compunction to grind. Honestly unless you’re constantly making legendaries, gold is everywhere; don’t fret if you miss out on a few silvers here and there.

Just takes some good planning. I don’t even think I’d even have to hit the chef station for a long while and I’m sure I don’t even make 1/4 the gold OP does.

Attachments:

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

That level of stats really is so small, it makes no difference. On paper it does, sure, but in the field its negligible.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I think you’re grossly overstating the importance of 20 points. Base stats are 1000. 20 points are 2% of that. The 20 points difference from the two types of food is closer to 1% when you factor in the bonus from armour, weapons, runes and so on. The difference between having full Exotic and having full Ascended equipment (with infusions) is much larger but still not huge. Communication, tactics, skill (and luck) will have far more bearing on the fights than those 20 points.

We’re talking about an individual player here and I get that your example (40 players using +60 vs 40 players using +80 food) is an extreme one to illustrate a point but bringing in the 200 point tower bonus is a bit of a smokescreen. Flip your example around and if the 40 players using the 60 point food are fighting in their tower and getting a 200 point bonus while the enemy 40 players using the 80 point food aren’t then it’s 260 points vs 80. That “proves” that you should only be fighting in your own towers (and preferably only with Superior Borderlands Bloodlust) in order to have “the best chance at winning”. It’s never that simple is it?

Lastly, if one of those players on the +80 side is not actually playing WvW because he’s busy farming PvE in order to be able to afford that extra 20 point from food then you’re looking at 40 players with +60 food vs 39 players with +80 food. I think the extra player will be worth more.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

This is just the min/max mentality at work, there’s no use arguing against it. To such individuals there are only two choices – best in slot and everything else. Don’t have Ascended gear? Might as well be naked. Didn’t slot the “correct” runes and sigils? Better grind the gold to buy them, then come back. Don’t have the max bonus from consumables? You’re taking a spot on the team away from someone who can give 100%.

Eventually, real life will happen and these individuals will realize that it’s just a game, and all those hours they spent grinding for the best stuff were ultimately wasted. But while in the middle of it they lack the perspective to see this, so anything less than the best is a temporary step on the path as they do whatever is necessary to get to the goal.

I get the complaints, really, but there’s a great deal of denial there, the grind is self-inflicted and actually expected – in most games there are periodic gear resets where the previously BiS gear becomes middle of the pack and everything gets replaced again and again. This is to ensure a maximum lifespan from expansion content and keep players subbed as long as possible in traditional MMOs, but doesn’t really have a use in a FTP game unless the company sells shortcuts for cash. But it’s become so accepted as part of the process that if there isn’t a constant grind they get bored and cranky without anything to focus on.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Again, I do use cheaper food myself at times, but for the hardcore players there is definitely food that doesn’t have a lower level counterpart that may be considered significantly BIS for certain purposes to the point where alternatives really don’t pack the same purpose.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prickly_Pear_Pie
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Cactus_Fruit_Salad
Significantly better than other life steal food, due to the hard to attain boon duration

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sweet_Bean_Bun
Contains both + and – condition duration

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plate_of_Mussels_Gnashblade
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Mussel_Soup
Contains damage reduction, impossible to attain elsewhere.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toxic_Maintenance_Oil
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toxic_Sharpening_Stone
Contains condi duration; hard to get elsewhere

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bountiful_Sharpening_Stone
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bountiful_Maintenance_Oil
Boon Duration

While it’s true in a zerg optimized food isn’t absolutely needed, it also becomes a bigger deal in smaller scale encounters. So in these cases one might spend 2g an hour on consumables and 20 hours a week would be 40g. Of course, dailies give 14 gold a week, and if one is able to make 50s an hour from reward tracks that would already cover 24g… meaning it’s only needed to grind 16g a week to break even. In any case, it’s unnecessary to grind for that much gold anyways especially considering daily rewards also provide income. All in all, that’s 3 hours a day actively playing in WvW plus time spent pve grinding and no real reason write a novel about the later part.

I honestly don’t think it’s a problem with the game.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)