Gw2 says they have 460k Concurrent players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: crimsonbro.3126

crimsonbro.3126

I dont want to be pessimistic but i doubt that most of the ppl that were playing in launch they still play, but yeah there are more new ones came as well

I’ve been around since beta. Yeah. Seems like less people I knew are around or if they are, they only log in now and then. My friends and family have pretty much moved off as well. I ask why and they don’t really seem to know they just shrug.

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

alot of people in this thread don’t know the difference between concurrent users and active accounts.

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

Some of you guys are mixing up. 460K Peak Concurrent players is the highest number they got online within a predefined period of time (Within the year, I guess). It says nothing about the average number of concurrent players who get online everyday, which is probably way lower.

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

All the server says very now….3 months ago not all of them are like that. I do believe we have more players now then before.

Maybe they just change it so people like you will believe it.

Don’t get me wrong I think GW2 is doing well to market standard. I just don’t think the word “very high” actually mean something. I’ll probably even call it manipulation.

People like to jump on the backwagon. If Anet dont’ name their server very high, they’ll get bash on public gaming forum. Which I dont’ think really mean anything. They never release any public info.

And u know all this because u work for them….? Yea that’s what i thought u don’t. Maybe that’s what people like u would do when your game fails.

I actually really like GW2. And I think it is doing well.

My belief is the server population isn’t dynamically changed. It is manually changed. Because a while ago, I notice a bunch of server population all changed at the same time. If it is dynamically changed by actual server population, that is unlikely to happen.

That’s not entirely correct. The server population seems to change dynamically (or at least i haven’t seen anything that would imply otherwise). The sudden changes of population levels across the servers are not a result of population change, though, but of Anet adjusting population caps. Which they do. Frequently.

Of course, as a consequence of such adjustments, we simply cannot compare server populations between once and now. After all, today’s high population may be actually lower that low population half a year ago.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

where did you get that number? where’s the source or link? you can’t just claim something without it. lol.

Google is your friend
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/28/guild-wars-2s-first-birthday-by-the-numbers/
although you are right. he should have put the link in there

if you read more closely, you will see they had 460k players online at a time but this does not mean they are all the same ones in the next minute or hour.
Personally I believe GW32 has about 2 million accounts active meanign they logn in every month.
The other million account are split between quitters and people with multiple accounts.

WoW, they know how many players are consistently playing on all servers, yet don’t or won’t tell us about WvW population queues, very funny. Or very sad…

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

(edited by Rama.6439)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

460k? That’s about the same number of players that City of Heroes had when it got shut down. Go figure.

You confuse two very different things. 460k were active accounts, while GW2 has some 4.5 million active accounts. Of course you don’t have to pay, so there are no frozen accounts.

But still, if I understand that correctly City of Heroes (I don’t know the game) had just 460’000 active players at the point of shutting down servers. While Guild Wars had 460k at one point during the first year simulatnously online. This means 12 hours later some other hundred thousand players were online and so on.

I still think this number is very deceptive as we can be sure the actual numbers are lower. They should’ve given us an average number to represent the state of the activity of players.

I very dislike the policies of NCSoft. They are extremely secretive and lack transparency towards the public and instead throw out deceptive information. The same happened to Guild Wars 1. Which counted every single campaign as ‘sold game’. I for example bought 3 (+1 addon) which counts then as three sold games. Since many GW1 players bought every single campaign (minus the addon GWEN) you can the ‘7 millions sold games’ divide by 3.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

And u know all this because u work for them….? Yea that’s what i thought u don’t. Maybe that’s what people like u would do when your game fails.

He’s able to write YOU, you aren’t… That’s enough to make him way more credible than you.

Anyway, what the server say means nothing because they count the number of accounts created on that server, not the actual population in it.
That dude who said that there is 100K – 150K active players (give or take), based on what can be seen in game, is probably right.

(edited by Valanga.5942)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Actually no they don’t.
The status can change several times per day which would prove that it is not based on “number of accounts created on date (funny that you comment on the other guys spelling with this in your post btw..) server”.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Most people in this thread think “concurrent logins” means “active playerbase.”

460k is concurrent players logged in at one time. That is a HUGE amount of players. 1/4 to 1/2 of all active players online at the same time if you want to assume the game has 1 million to 2 million active players.

Valanga.5942

Actually no they don’t.
The status can change several times per day which would prove that it is not based on “number of accounts created on date (funny that you comment on the other guys spelling with this in your post btw..) server”.

Yeah, you’re right, i made a mistake translating the word, apologies.
Anyway, either the servers shows the accounts created, or they go random, because i’ve seen half empty servers labeled high.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Actually no they don’t.

It was confirmed by a developer some time ago that server population goes by accounts created on that server or by people transferring to or away from that server. Any other fluctuations are controlled server side by either increasing or decreasing server caps as they (Anet) see the need to.

Posted by: Spawne.3128

Spawne.3128

460k concurrent users is nothing by comparison to other MMO’s. Warcraft has over 10 million active subscriptions at its last expansion and over 1.5 million concurrent users. Even star wars knights of the old republic managed 350k concurrent users and thats a non mainstream MMO geared towards star wars geeks.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I would be worried if a game so young had any less concurrent users. Seems about average given the state of a the game and decline in player base.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Valanga.5942

460k concurrent users is nothing by comparison to other MMO’s. Warcraft has over 10 million active subscriptions at its last expansion and over 1.5 million concurrent users. Even star wars knights of the old republic managed 350k concurrent users and thats a non mainstream MMO geared towards star wars geeks.

Final Fantasy XIV, the reproposition of one of the biggest fail in MMO’s recent history, managed to get almost 400K concurrent users online not even a week after release…
I still don’t understand why ANet was boasting so much…

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Final Fantasy XIV, the reproposition of one of the biggest fail in MMO’s recent history, managed to get almost 400K concurrent users online not even a week after release…

I don’t think it’s boasting so much as a “We aren’t dead yet guys!” I just hope they do something about the state of the game this year. The game hasn’t really changed since release, and it’s showing it’s age.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

All the server says very now….3 months ago not all of them are like that. I do believe we have more players now then before.

Maybe they just change it so people like you will believe it.

Don’t get me wrong I think GW2 is doing well to market standard. I just don’t think the word “very high” actually mean something. I’ll probably even call it manipulation.

People like to jump on the backwagon. If Anet dont’ name their server very high, they’ll get bash on public gaming forum. Which I dont’ think really mean anything. They never release any public info.

I actually really like GW2. And I think it is doing well.

My belief is the server population isn’t dynamically changed. It is manually changed. Because a while ago, I notice a bunch of server population all changed at the same time. If it is dynamically changed by actual server population, that is unlikely to happen.

That’s not entirely correct. The server population seems to change dynamically (or at least i haven’t seen anything that would imply otherwise). The sudden changes of population levels across the servers are not a result of population change, though, but of Anet adjusting population caps. Which they do. Frequently.

Of course, as a consequence of such adjustments, we simply cannot compare server populations between once and now. After all, today’s high population may be actually lower that low population half a year ago.

I think that’s the point. Very high could mean 10k a few month ago. And they can change that to 7k now. Which means that’s quite pointless.

I remember a bunch of server changed population from very high to high and medium instantly. That is right after someone showed a video of a server with no one doing dynamic event at peak time. And after a while all the medium and high server changed to very high again instantly. I really don’t think it mean anything.

Infact they should actually change some of the server population from very high to high or medium to disguish the population difference. But for PR reason, they won’t do it.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

lordkrall.7241

The bolded part is very important here.

And since it is apparently common knowledge wouldn’t that mean they are boasting as well?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

laokoko.7403

And since it is apparently common knowledge wouldn’t that mean they are boasting as well?

I dont’ think Anet is boasting it, they are saying the exact samething. the 460k concurrent is right after release. Not only that, the company boasting new data is the china company, which isn’t technically Anet. Anet pretty much kept quite all this time about user data.

lordkrall.7241

Is it actually confirmed that said concurrency is actually from right after release though?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

laokoko.7403

Is it actually confirmed that said concurrency is actually from right after release though?

I honestly don’t know. I think that is coming from the first year anniversiry infographic. I think they have numbers posted for china website, I can’t remember the number.

But if you check the record in 2012, the number seems to match since that’s what they said at that time. At head start they have 400k simultaneous online player.

lordkrall.7241

Aye, I have seen that 400k concurrent users before release, but never seen specifically 460k, and it would be a bit wierd to say 400k before release if it were indeed 460k at that time.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Valanga.5942

Nope because they released the data giving it a precise time frame, not a “we had 460k players online together sometime”, in a dumb “one year after” PR poster half full of maked up stuff.
Also, it wasn’t boasting but actually apologizing because when that event happened, FF XIV’s servers went kaboom.

laokoko.7403

no they said about 400k at headstart. Most likely that is the peak. Because they already presold million of copies.

If you want 400k steady concurrent user, you’ll need 4 million players. I dont’ even think GW2 sold that many copies. And I dont’ think GW2 have 100% retention rate after 1 year.

Valanga.5942

no they said about 400k at headstart. Most likely that is the peak. Because they already presold million of copies.

If you want 400k steady concurrent user, you’ll need 4 million players. I dont’ even think GW2 sold that many copies. And I dont’ think GW2 have 100% retention rate after 1 year.

They are stuck at 3.5 Mil, i remember they went full “oh, we are going to release noews on sales very soon, when we’ll get the next milestone” wich was supposed to be the 4 Mil. copies sold… But that was 4 or 5 months ago…

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Close enough. The only announcement, other then the one in question, that a quick Google got me was for 400k+ during the headstart weekend. That’s basically launch. There’s no way it’s higher now then it was during launch.

If that’s not enough, check out the numbers.
460k is roughly 25% of 2 million.
460k is roughly 12% of 4 million.

Normal concurrency for most MMO’s is 10-15% of currently active accounts. To get 460k now, under normal usage, GW2 would need to have 4-5 million active accounts. Since they have around 4 million all-time sales, it’s incredibly unlikely to the point of certainty that the figure is current.

A more realistic estimate is 100k concurrency during peak hours, with 50-100k during most times. That’s assuming 50% account retention, which is optimistic.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I dont want to be pessimistic but i doubt that most of the ppl that were playing in launch they still play, but yeah there are more new ones came as well

Yeah but that’s kind of how every MMO is like. People play the game, they get through all the content they want to do, they move on, leaving the relatively dedicated few around.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I’ve been playing since September 2012, though I did take about 7 months off due to frustration related to some serious loot nerfs that happened in November 2012. I played to about March 2013 and became disillusioned with the lack of loot, the complete destruction of event farming in Cursed Shore (One of the few aspects of the game I still enjoyed at the time) and was a little burnt out from map completion.