Gw2 says they have 460k Concurrent players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pdemo.8312

pdemo.8312

Ok so gw2 says they have 460k concurrent players after one year. Do uyouthink this is true. If so do you think gw2 still has this number of players today?

Posted by: Hobbitz.5831

Hobbitz.5831

I see no reason to not believe it. That number was probably hit the day WvW leagues went live.

GW2 almost certainly has more players now than back then but I’d have to imagine the concurrency numbers are down. We haven’t had, what I consider to be, a ‘major’ update since September.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I think it is likely that they had 460k concurrent users and less likely that they have 460k concurrent users.

Posted by: pdemo.8312

pdemo.8312

well this game is just as popular as it was 4 month ago

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

well this game is just as popular as it was 4 month ago

BIG statement.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

There do seem to be a fair few new players at the moment. You know they’re new because they’ll actually have a chat sometimes. The holiday period might be bolstering the numbers a bit.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

where did you get that number? where’s the source or link? you can’t just claim something without it. lol.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

where did you get that number? where’s the source or link? you can’t just claim something without it. lol.

Google is your friend
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/28/guild-wars-2s-first-birthday-by-the-numbers/
although you are right. he should have put the link in there

if you read more closely, you will see they had 460k players online at a time but this does not mean they are all the same ones in the next minute or hour.
Personally I believe GW32 has about 2 million accounts active meanign they logn in every month.
The other million account are split between quitters and people with multiple accounts.

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Google is your friend
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/28/guild-wars-2s-first-birthday-by-the-numbers/

Thanks, but the OP should know better to provide a link.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Google is your friend

The article says “460K peak concurrent” users during their first year. So this is the numbers at their highest point. Most likely just after launch. Plus this article is from August 2013. Who knows how many (or few?) players the game has now.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

I dont want to be pessimistic but i doubt that most of the ppl that were playing in launch they still play, but yeah there are more new ones came as well

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Seriously,

who is Surprised?

Not me

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I dont want to be pessimistic but i doubt that most of the ppl that were playing in launch they still play, but yeah there are more new ones came as well

Hm, I play since the karka event in 2012 (had a free trial event there) and I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t still be playing in a year from now. Unless they mess something up really big time.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Yes I believe 460K, sounds about right.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Google is your friend

The article says “460K peak concurrent” users during their first year. So this is the numbers at their highest point. Most likely just after launch.

^This…

You can prove about anything with a number chart.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

That’s impressive

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Great. With 51 servers, there are only 9019 players per server. And most of them are just idling inside LA or playing WvW instead of PvE.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If that number covers both NA and Europe then yes easily.
Of course you have to spread those numbers out across servers as well as those locations. Even then you have different time zones so will never see everyone on all at the same time. Add to that even if 99% of the players are all logged in at the same time they are then spread thin amongst all the maps, wvw, dungeons and etc so the majority of the PvE maps will still “seem” dead.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

GW2 does not have a subscription, so it could be possible. Even I log sometimes, wonder around for 30 minutes to an hour then log out. However its hard to believe that there are 9000 players at any given time on each server. Why? Well maps are empty, LA does not even have an overflow on one of the most populated EN EU servers. So…I guess the number is just marketing.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

The article is from August, plus it states “peak concurrent logins”, which clearly indicates that it was during some important time within the game’s history, e.g. its premiere.

There’s no doubt the numbers are extremely low as for a no-sub game. Max 2 mln active acounts.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Ok so gw2 says they have 460k concurrent players after one year. Do uyouthink this is true. If so do you think gw2 still has this number of players today?

No, they said there was 460k concurrent players noted at some point in the game history – which was definitely possible, especially in the first days after launch. I don’t think those numbers could be duplicated today, though.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

From what I see in the game, I estimate that at the moment they have between 100k and 150k concurrent users.

460k at launch sounds about right.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

From what I see in the game, I estimate that at the moment they have between 100k and 150k concurrent users.

460k at launch sounds about right.

Maybe more like 1,5k players at peek hours in low pop servers (Vabbi talking here) and around 500-1000 at other times. The PvP lobby has less than 10 people usually, and wvw between 5-30 people unless it’s reset. Sometimes it’s just completely empty.

(corrected after doing some quick calculations)

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

It would help if we had an Underflow server.

With the way servers are organized, it certainly doesn’t feel like 460k.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

^I don’t even know how you guys estimate the numbers. It’s unrealistic to estimate unless you work in Anet.

But if you check on games that actually published number of concurrent users (for example Eve).

You’ll notice only about 1/10 of the people subscribe actually logs on at the same time.

So 460k is very unrealistic. First of all, you need to presume GW2 sold like 4.5 million copies. Not only that 100% of those players still logon every month.

Like someone said before 460k is most likely number pulled during release.

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

All the server says very now….3 months ago not all of them are like that. I do believe we have more players now then before.

vvuevv

laokoko.7403

All the server says very now….3 months ago not all of them are like that. I do believe we have more players now then before.

Maybe they just change it so people like you will believe it.

Don’t get me wrong I think GW2 is doing well to market standard. I just don’t think the word “very high” actually mean something. I’ll probably even call it manipulation.

People like to jump on the backwagon. If Anet dont’ name their server very high, they’ll get bash on public gaming forum. Which I dont’ think really mean anything. They never release any public info.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Ah, yes. Why should we believe what they say?
It is of course much more likely that they are spreading blatant lies and showing completely incorrect information, because we all know that they will gain so much more with that then when not saying anything at all

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It is of course much more likely that they are spreading blatant lies and showing completely incorrect information, because we all know that they will gain so much more with that then when not saying anything at all

Well Duh!
lol

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Don’t get me wrong I think GW2 is doing well to market standard. I just don’t think the word “very high” actually mean something. I’ll probably even call it manipulation.

People like to jump on the backwagon. If Anet dont’ name their server very high, they’ll get bash on public gaming forum. Which I dont’ think really mean anything. They never release any public info.

And u know all this because u work for them….? Yea that’s what i thought u don’t. Maybe that’s what people like u would do when your game fails.

vvuevv

laokoko.7403

And u know all this because u work for them….? Yea that’s what i thought u don’t. Maybe that’s what people like u would do when your game fails.

I actually really like GW2. And I think it is doing well.

My belief is the server population isn’t dynamically changed. It is manually changed. Because a while ago, I notice a bunch of server population all changed at the same time. If it is dynamically changed by actual server population, that is unlikely to happen. So most likely the server population is manually changed “to anything Anet want”.

I’m not bashing GW2. I’m just telling you the reality of how internet marketing and PR works. I currently work for a company which sells weight loss product. And I’d go on internet and post good review and bash other competitor’s product. That is the reality of what is happening in the real world.

You have to understand it isn’t just a game to the people working at Anet, it is a job to them.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

They admitted a long time ago on the forum when the game first launched that the servers saying very high is due to the number of accounts registered and not active users. So hundreds of inactive people who started at launch and have not logged in since are causing the servers to say very high.

sonicwhip.9052

I actually really like GW2. And I think it is doing well.

My belief is the server population isn’t dynamically changed. It is manually changed. Because a while ago, I notice a bunch of server population all changed at the same time. If it is dynamically changed by actual server population, that is unlikely to happen. So most likely the server population is manually changed “to anything Anet want”.

They mentioned in a blog post a long time ago that they can change the server capacity without the need of server maintenance so they can lower or raise the capacity whenever they want with minimal effort which is probably another reason why all the NA servers are very high, they just keep lowering the capacity.
It is pretty deceptive but pretty good marketing to make new players believe that the servers are very high.

laokoko.7403

Now don’t get me wrong. I have no idea if GW2’s population increase or decrease in the past 3 month. I just think it is too hard to tell. And I have no matrix to indicate that.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I’d agree with the 400k a year after launch (which was August). The real question is, how many of those spend money in the gem store to actually bring in revenue?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Been playing since beta. Don’t play a massive amount, RL curbs that. I know quite a few people who have been playing the same length of time as I have. Like me they are GW1 veterans, so I think you maybe right, but I think that it would only apply to people new to GW.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: MercyKilling.8519

MercyKilling.8519

460k? That’s about the same number of players that City of Heroes had when it got shut down. Go figure.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Oh no you didn’t! You didn’t just type in an accent did you!?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

if i were a betting man id say stagnant. more and more people are losing interest and moving on though :P i know i am. once i have my elementalist to level 80 i have every class 80. then i only need a couple of stacks of logs and i can make my legendairy, and then… all that’s left for me is living story. so that means a couple of days each 2 weeks.
if they add new pvp modes that might hook me for a while, though they are taking there sweet time with that one very obvious thing.

i can almost certainly say though, that the amount of time spent in game is decreasing across the board. same amount of people logging in every game, spending less time in game, that’s what id bet on :-)

sonicwhip.9052

460k? That’s about the same number of players that City of Heroes had when it got shut down. Go figure.

Lol seriously!?
Then I’d say it’s pretty bad considering the 460k number for gw2 is only what it peaked to after launch. I’d say it’s probably a lot lower than that now, and the 460k number for CoH was the actual active player base.
But I’d doubt NCsoft would be so quick to shut down another game again considering it has taken a tremendous toll on their stock market when they were shutting down games left and right.
They will give more time before even considering another shut down I’m sure, but I don’t know what NCsoft will be thinking when Wildstar and Blade & Soul come out.
If another game is up for shut down I’d put my money on Lineage 2 or Aion.

(edited by sonicwhip.9052)

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I’m prepared to believe 460K players is a real figure for their highest-ever spike.

I’m also prepared to believe that they don’t even routinely hit 6 figures daily any longer.

The real important questions are 1.) What’s the average concurrent users? 2.) How much Money is being directed to them on average per player, per month? and 3.) What’s the current trend on both of those figures? Up or down? (Hint: Down for both.)

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

To be fair, that was the number of active accounts, not concurrent users. Not even daily users. They’re very different statistics. And CoH’s hybrid subscriber/free model muddies the waters even further.

Virtue Server was definitely more lively than Tarnished Coast though (which I’m given to understand is one of the more active servers by a wide margin), right up until NCSoft murdered it.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

Ofcourse it’s not true, lol. Any company will make the most crazy calculations as long as the resulting number is higher. Why? Moneyzzzz. Investors etc… you can probably slice it in half.

MercyKilling.8519

I’ll say this much…..I remember seeing far more people in Pocket D on any given weeknight than I do whenever I log into this game, much less when I left the D to go run missions. That game was packed, and even moreso when the shutdown announcement came.

The point I’m trying to get across is this game(and by default, ANY game that is associated in any way, shape or form with NCSoft) is not safe from the axe. Don’t get too attached to anything or anyone here.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The 460k number was launch week. They released that number the week after launch. No game in the history of MMO’s (except WoW) has ever had a bigger number after launch. Whatever the number is now it will be a small fraction of that figure, even if the game is doing well.

Also server populations are meaningless. The population is based on accounts on the server, not people playing, and they can fluidly change the numbers as they please. There are servers like JQ which are teeming with people, and other servers that have 1-2 people in LA at peak playing times and they both read “very high”. In reality there needs to be a server merge but I doubt that will happen.

laokoko.7403

NCsoft do release their financial report. I doubt COH even made the list of games that make money on the report before they got shut down. They are probably put into a category of “the other games” on their financial report.

I’d say GW2 is doing pretty good by its sales figure. I’m not sure on revenue because I don’t know how much the cost of maintain is. Need to wait for Q4 report.

And ya, NCsoft does have a history of axing games.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Why all the fuss?
NO ONE besides Anet knows the real numbers and they will never ever publish those numbers.
Just chill and enjoy the game or … not.

sonicwhip.9052

All we know is that according to the last financial report the revenue generated by gw2 dropped by about 15-40 percent. Not sure if less people playing or less people using the gem shop.

laokoko.7403

^ I think that’s probably more to do with the buy 2 play nature. The reason why I say GW2 is doing pretty well is because at least they are doing better than the other mmorpg company.

Which is quite surprising to me. The other f2p/subscription hybrid games isn’t making as much money. And I’m quite surprise GW2 cashshop is even generating money compare to the other pay 2 win games.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

MercyKilling.8519

You know what really amazes me? Neverwinter (done by Craptic, of all game companies) recently hit Steam….and according to the stats sits solidly at around eight thousand players at almost any time of day or night when I check. And that’s only the ones that have the game through Steam. If that garbage game can attract a steady number like that….what are gamers turning into?
That company also boasted about a month or three ago that they had “two million active subscriptions”.