HEro point only giving 10 points?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: whasabee.2370

whasabee.2370

I’m very surprised that HP give 10 points in the beta.

Following the exemple of HOT, i would have thought HP in PoF would give 100 point, with an elite spec requiring about 2000 to 4000 points to level up

If u realease PoF with elite spec costing the same points as HOT elite spec, and hero point giving the same points as HOT point, do the dev realise people could be able to fully reach the max in the new elite spec less than 10 seconds after the release?

No character progression, no farming for the new spec?

I’d prefer to unlock my spec as i progress in the story and not just unlocking it as soon as PoF releases

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Are they not PoF specific hero points then? ie core + PoF rather than core, +HoT + PoF

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

New specs will require unlocking with special missions from what we heard already. NPCs are actually teaching you how to become new profession.

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

i dont enjoy pve, i play mainly wvw, i want to nip into pve, grab elite, nip out, ty anet for hopefully allowing this.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Posted by: Supz.9836

Supz.9836

I disagree OP, this is good design, people who played the original GW2 and HoT content should be able to unlock the elite specs quickly if they so choose, you can choose to keep your elite spec locked till you farm enough HPs to make you happy.

In old RPGs players handicapped themselves in various ways to increase the challenge, no need to change the game for everyone to make it harder for you.

Plus I plan on unlocking every HP anyway for the next expansion.

I have all elite specs unlocked and all HoT hero points unlocked on my main, so its not that I don’t want to play the content, but I rather start enjoying the new elite spec straight away rather than having to wait for all the maps to be close to finished before I can finally play the new spec.

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

so, you believe that the new specs should take MORE than any spec before?
That’s pretty silly.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Core HPs are worth 1 point
HoT HPs are worth 10 points
PoF HPs are worth 10 points

I see nothing wrong here

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

Another thing to consider is that the map we’ve seen only has 5 HPs. My guess is that PoF will contain a portion of the HPs that were in HoT to “drain” the playerbase of those excess HPs. After that, we can proceed at a better-structured pace.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I don’t see anything wrong here either. They should not take longer than HoT specs to unlock. This is especially important for those who are mainly WvW players.

Posted by: LadySuccubus.4752

LadySuccubus.4752

When HoT first came out, elite specs cost more than they did now (around 500 hero points, maybe), but they eventually lowered it because of complaints. I don’t really want to go through that again.

With the current elite specialization costs, you could unlock your entire HoT elite specialization with only central tyria hero challenges, and I’m hoping that you could do that again for PoF elite specializations and only HoT hero challenges. That way I can try out all of the new stuff while working on hero challenges for the next expansion.

(edited by LadySuccubus.4752)

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

With the current elite specialization costs, you could unlock your entire HoT elite specialization with only central tyria hero challenges, and I’m hoping that you could do that again for PoF elite specializations and only HoT hero challenges. That way I can try out all of the new stuff while working on hero challenges for the next expansion.

That’s not true. There are 189 HPs in core tyria (every map that counts for map completion), a few more in Southsun, Dry Top and Silverwastes, and then a handful in WvW. But you need 250 to unlock your HoT elite spec. So best case is you have around 200 HP from core tyria, would still need 5 HoT HPs to fully unlock the spec

Posted by: LadySuccubus.4752

LadySuccubus.4752

That’s not true. There are 189 HPs in core tyria (every map that counts for map completion), a few more in Southsun, Dry Top and Silverwastes, and then a handful in WvW. But you need 250 to unlock your HoT elite spec. So best case is you have around 200 HP from core tyria, would still need 5 HoT HPs to fully unlock the spec

Oooh, you’re right. Sorry.

(edited by LadySuccubus.4752)

Posted by: Pullin.5091

Pullin.5091

New specs will require unlocking with special missions from what we heard already. NPCs are actually teaching you how to become new profession.

So like GW1

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

So what I think this means is that in order for my newly made thief to become Deadeye without jumping ahead in the story, it will only have to do PS, LS2, HoT, LS3 and ONLY THEN go to PoF and unlock the bloody spec? Screw that so much.

I don’t like the sound of that, I really don’t. Hopefully it’s at least account-wide.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’d prefer to unlock my spec as i progress in the story and not just unlocking it as soon as PoF releases

I believe one of the more potent statements to come out of the early HoT feedback was..

“If my elite spec was supposed to help me with the content, why is it a reward for after the content?” Or something like that.

Point is, a lot of feedback came in that, while we didn’t have a problem earning our elite specs, we wanted the main mechanics available to do the content, not as a reward for doing it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So what I think this means is that in order for my newly made thief to become Deadeye without jumping ahead in the story, it will only have to do PS, LS2, HoT, LS3 and ONLY THEN go to PoF and unlock the bloody spec? Screw that so much.

I don’t like the sound of that, I really don’t. Hopefully it’s at least account-wide.

It’s nothing like that. If the Demo is any indication, there will be no ‘missions’ offered from NPCs. Those NPCs offered only lore dialogue. No ‘quests’ or ‘missions’ were present.

Posted by: Beorn Raukar.4328

Beorn Raukar.4328

Given that you are not required to own LS, or HoT in order to play PoF this is not accurate. A brand new thief can go to PoF and do the story to unlock deadeye. You are thinking progression in GW2 as if it was vertical when it has always been designed as horziontal. You can unlock deadeye without ever unlocking daredevil.

Ariurotl.3718

It’s nothing like that. If the Demo is any indication, there will be no ‘missions’ offered from NPCs. Those NPCs offered only lore dialogue. No ‘quests’ or ‘missions’ were present.

The fact that you have to do something to unlock them is not the issue here. It is just immersion-breaking for me to randomly send a char on a spec-learning trip to the desert. But yeah yeah, it’s not really important. I’m just nitpicking at this point.

Ariurotl.3718

A brand new thief can go to PoF and do the story to unlock deadeye.

Right, but that would make no narrative sense. The char wouldn’t even be a commander at this point. Unless PoF is happening in a separate timeline, which it is obviously not.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m confused. What makes you think you need to send a character to the desert to learn an Elite Specialization? As noted above, the NPCs only offer(ed in the demo) lore; no ‘quests’. I don’t think it will be any different than it was in Heart of Thorns. I certainly ‘learned’ Elite Specializations on characters that never set foot in HoT.

Ariurotl.3718

I’m confused. What makes you think you need to send a character to the desert to learn an Elite Specialization? As noted above, the NPCs only offer(ed in the demo) lore; no ‘quests’. I don’t think it will be any different than it was in Heart of Thorns. I certainly ‘learned’ Elite Specializations on characters that never set foot in HoT.

Wait, so those NPCs were not in the desert? Or weren’t required to learn the spec? I am confused as well, haha. Sorry.

Basically all I want is to be able to start training Deadeye with extra hero points I get from Central Tyria and HoT, without going to the desert on that character first.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Right, but that would make no narrative sense. The char wouldn’t even be a commander at this point. Unless PoF is happening in a separate timeline, which it is obviously not.

The story is meant to play out as it’s released. Everything up to PoF is now in the past and your character is considered to have done it all regardless of if you’ve personally done it yourself. Playing old content is simply reliving past events.

Wait, so those NPCs were not in the desert? Or weren’t required to learn the spec? I am confused as well, haha. Sorry.

The NPCs were simply to give some lore about the elite specs. Judging from the beta, it looks like they’re keeping hero challenges at 10 points each, though back to being regular events, with 5 per map for a 250 total (same as HoT). This means people will be able to unlock it instantly however, which they specifically didn’t want people to do with HoT, so they may add another gate to it to require something in PoF.

“If my elite spec was supposed to help me with the content, why is it a reward for after the content?” Or something like that.

They need to go back to the original implementation and let you pick exactly what you want to unlock. Balance it so you can unlock your build within the first map or two, then everything else by the end.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

I see no problem at all.
You can unlock what you want when you want ( as who wants to unlock everything since pof’s start ).

Seems that you want the game slowing your progress, in order to have the illusion of a longer progression. That’s, no offense, sick.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It was my impression going back to HoT that a large majority of posters wanted to play the new content with the new Elites, not with their old build.

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

The purpose of new specs isn’t to “compensate” for the lack of vertical progression like you would see in other MMO’s that release expansions. The point of the PvE world in the expansion is not to make you earn your elite spec.

In HoT you could max out your elite spec after a few of the new HP’s if you already unlocked all the Tyria ones. Because the point of the expansion is NOT to make playing your character the way you want something you have to waste excessive amounts of time on.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

In HoT you could max out your elite spec after a few of the new HP’s if you already unlocked all the Tyria ones.

After it was nerfed. It was originally 400 points for the elite and they were planning to require another 65 for core.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Are we not taking into account that HoT isn’t required for PoF? Therefore handicapping people who just get PoF because they could have gotten HoT it extremely lame. Let the people who played through HoT but didn’t spend their points on the elite buy out the elite in PoF. Who does it hurt?

This is beside the amount of people enraged by HoT requiring them to farm HoT HPs in order to get their hands on the Elite, instead of being able to just make a level 80 character at launch and complete the elite. They learned from their mistake, sort of.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Shirlias.8104

A Capped Character now has 364 unspent points.

So the player should be able to unlock everything since the beginning ( also don’t forget “proof of heroic” tokens, which allows you to claim HP whithout exploring the place ).

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Ooh! really? I like that idea a lot <3

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

I see no problem at all.
You can unlock what you want when you want ( as who wants to unlock everything since pof’s start ).

Seems that you want the game slowing your progress, in order to have the illusion of a longer progression. That’s, no offense, sick.

I don’t think it’s sick I think it makes sense, as long as it’s account wide, so I don’t have to repeat for each character I choose to make with that spec.
I’d far rather play and learn as I go so I actually learn the spec than have all these new skills all at once and have to stumble along to learn to play effectively. That’s why I never use those instant 80 tickets on new classes.

I don’t want to be that player in the party that doesn’t know how to play their class.
That’s so frustrating for everyone.

Shirlias.8104

I see no problem at all.

I don’t think it’s sick I think it makes sense, as long as it’s account wide, so I don’t have to repeat for each chatacter I choose to make with that spec.

“as long as it’s account wide” it’s more like what i would like to have.

But, reading op’s request, seemed like “starting pof and get your new elite during the exping”. And that’s a “nope”.

If the op doesn’t want to unlock his skill since the release that’s his own choice.
Currently you can decide to unlock or not unlock, and personally i see no problems at all.

Create your own slow progression, but don’t ask to change things that work perfectly.
This is my poing.

edit: if you join a party not knowing your class, you are simply disrespectful ( and gw2 as a MMO is full of ppl who doesn’t care about others, so nothing new here ). If you don’t want to slow others down, or get em wipe out, play your build in solo, spvp, wvw, and read metabattle for hints and rotation.

edit2: Think about it. GW2 gives many possibilities… and you are asking for “blocks”, just because you are afraid ( and ofc you have the right to be afraid ) of new “selfish” players.

To me is nosense.

I am happy to have insta lvl 80, scrolls, spvp avaible since character lvl 2, and so on. But this does not mean that i create a character and go queue feeding and not knowing my new class.

(edited by Shirlias.8104)

Posted by: Manijin.3428

Manijin.3428

If ANet decided to slow down progression and implement a system that helped integrate character progression, specifically with the elite spec, in a fashion that helped build immersion and made sense with the story, it would be awesome. Imagine going through PoF as a Spellbreaker and having a noticably (but not totally) different experience than a Soulbeast, because the story missions were class specific and unlocked new abilities. They could even do small instances and have NPCs that guided you along the way. For the RPG part of the game, and storytelling purposes, it would be a big step up for the game.

But it’s inconvenient for players that don’t care about the story, so ANet probably won’t do that.

Shirlias.8104

But it’s inconvenient for players that don’t care about the story, so ANet probably won’t do that.

It’s a time issue more than a pleasue issue.
As you said people could like or not a similar thing, but if implemente would mean the normal work x9 instead x1.

That’s why i really doubt they are going to give a “different walkthrough” to every single class.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

do the dev realise people could be able to fully reach the max in the new elite spec less than 10 seconds after the release?

So what?

Those people worked for their hero points, it shouldn’t matter when or where that work was done.

Posted by: Manijin.3428

Manijin.3428

It’s a time issue more than a pleasue issue.
As you said people could like or not a similar thing, but if implemente would mean the normal work x9 instead x1.

That’s why i really doubt they are going to give a “different walkthrough” to every single class.

Yeah, but if the story were actually deep and nuanced, players might actually appreciate the story team’s work more.

Posted by: LucianDK.8615

LucianDK.8615

new spec should be buyable immediately. I am rolling a new revenant and intending not to unlock herald as I loathe the spec and going full out Renegade asap.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

prefer to unlock my spec as i progress in the story and not just unlocking it as soon as PoF releases

The cool thing is that you will have that as an option.

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

If ANet decided to slow down progression and implement a system that helped integrate character progression, specifically with the elite spec, in a fashion that helped build immersion and made sense with the story, it would be awesome. Imagine going through PoF as a Spellbreaker and having a noticably (but not totally) different experience than a Soulbeast, because the story missions were class specific and unlocked new abilities. They could even do small instances and have NPCs that guided you along the way. For the RPG part of the game, and storytelling purposes, it would be a big step up for the game.

I think it’d be kinda cool to have the options avasilable to do as you described, but also for WvW, so that those players that aren’t into the story still have a way to have a natural progression and even earn achievements for stuff like creating certain combos with other players in a scenario. I’m not a big fan of WvW, so I’d prefer the storyline progression, but I can see where those that aren’t into PvE at all would hate that.

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

So the player should be able to unlock everything since the beginning ( also don’t forget “proof of heroic” tokens, which allows you to claim HP whithout exploring the place ).

What are “‘proof of heroic’ tokens”?

Shirlias.8104

What are “‘proof of heroic’ tokens”?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Proof_of_Heroics

Posted by: Odinens.5920

Odinens.5920

lol, 250 or 2k, doesn’t matter. I have 2k+ proofs of heroics to shell out either way.