*HOT SPOILERS* So I finished the PS again

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Since they had changed the last story mission to be soloable a while back, I decided to finally get over to it and finish it with another character of mine.

Say what you will of the actual mission of killing Zhaitan, at least that mission had a good closure and afterparty (with the vocal version of Fear not the night playing in the end) with most of the Personal Story NPCs there celebrating with you. Sent shivers down my spine, really.

Compare that to the Mordremoth killing and… yeah.

Makes me think that either a) Anet had to rush the end of Mordremoth really badly or b) we haven’t seen the real end of Mordy yet.

And lets not even start the comparison between the forking Personal Story (with some 200+ individual missions combined) and the linear LW S2 + HoT. If not counting the horrible marionette shows, PS wins hands down.

I wouldn’t be complaining if Anet themselves didn’t think HoT was every bit as good as the original package we got (otherwise they wouldn’t be charging the same price, would they?). It’s not. Not even close.

I don’t often whine, but finishing the PS with another character just opened my eyes to the naked, sad truth again.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Since they had changed the last story mission to be soloable a while back, I decided to finally get over to it and finish it with another character of mine.

Say what you will of the actual mission of killing Zhaitan, at least that mission had a good closure and afterparty (with the vocal version of Fear not the night playing in the end) with most of the Personal Story NPCs there celebrating with you. Sent shivers down my spine, really.

Compare that to the Mordremoth killing and… yeah.

I like the ending of the Personal Story, too. The song, the party, the walk-in by our characters front and center…it’s good.

In HoT, even though it appears that we kill Mordremoth and achieve our goals, there’s no epic feel to it for me. If Mordremoth is truly dead, we should take a moment to celebrate that huge victory, sing the songs of the valor of those that died, and commemorate the occasion.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

The core game personal story ending reminded me of GW1 campaign endings.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

For three years there were only posts about how horrible the finish to personal story was. It was not ‘epic’ it was not me me me being the center of attention. Now the violins and sugar comes out?

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

For three years there were only posts about how horrible the finish to personal story was. It was not ‘epic’ it was not me me me being the center of attention. Now the violins and sugar comes out?

OP was more saying that despite not being ‘epic’ and not being about me me me, at least it had a nice ending. Which is more than HoT can offer. So no, the PS didn’t just magically get better, but we found a spot to appreciate in comparison to the end of HoT

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I only completed my first PS yesterday, 2 years after starting to play, and I’m amazed you say there was massive QQing about it, I found it very moving (well, as much as I can be ‘moved’ by a video game). No, it wasn’t “me me me” but the story never was, clearly there are some who need to be made to feel special about themselves in a video game: sad.

I thought the ending was great, a satisfying end to it. I did the solo version because (a) I don’t tend to ‘group up’ and (b) having it as a forced-group event at the end of an entirely solo quest chain just felt a nasty gate to me: in the end having seen the solo version I can easily see how the full group version differed .. not sure having 6 people on the cannons really would have made it ‘better’, frankly the solo version was hectic enough, though the very last ‘battle’ was I guess a tad less than ‘epic’ solo, I can live with that.

One thing I did find a HUGE let down, I was expecting to see Arah, albeit ruined and only small part with perhaps more unreachable sections for the spectacle, all I saw were clouds.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

OP was more saying that despite not being ‘epic’ and not being about me me me, at least it had a nice ending. Which is more than HoT can offer. So no, the PS didn’t just magically get better, but we found a spot to appreciate in comparison to the end of HoT

Could be, but to me the ending was more of a segue. Yes one thing ended but another thing began. The Arah was done with a complete stop in mind with the writing style.

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

I felt personal story was epic in every sense of the word and I’ve loved repeating it every chance I get. It had me shouting with joy, pumping my fist in triumph, and moved to tears more than once.

The story in HoT, while interesting, and certainly some good “Living Story Season 3” type stuff, was not (in my opinion) up to par with Personal Story. This is an expansion we’re talking about. There should (in my opinion) have been the same epic “into the heart of Maguuma” story arc there was moving “deeper into Orr.” Enlisting the aid of the orders to gather information, meetings (and adventures) with key heroes, finding the “weakness of Mordremoth” through blood, sweat, tears, and trial and error.

It wasn’t bad, by any means, but it was what I’d expect with a Living Story hotpack, not the central core story of the expansion.

Yamialexa.5103

Could be, but to me the ending was more of a segue. Yes one thing ended but another thing began. The Arah was done with a complete stop in mind with the writing style.

I agree that it’s a transition into things to come, it’s just that after some parts of the story I wished I could get a bit more closure for them. It felt a bit abrupt. Even just a little cutscene with Braham would have been something. I assume we will get that closure in the next season, though, or at least I hope so.

Tom Gore.4035

I also hope we get the afterparty and closure in a separate update, but it really, really should have been there right after we kill Mordy.

Only way to rectify this in my opinion is to have the closure to be the funeral of Eir, with emotions running from the loss of a dear friend and mentor, to the triumph of ridding the world of another Elder Dragon. Being a Norn funeral, there’s no problem mixing up the two in the same party.

So here’s hoping the next story patch brings tears of both loss and joy to our eyes.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

It gave me an epic feel killing Voldemorth, cuz of the 2 warmup fights earlier as well. Fights were challenging, and then the scene after with Trehearne, I liked it. It was a different “ending” that was different from zhaitan, Im glad there wasnt a party, why would there.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Tom Gore.4035

Im glad there wasnt a party, why would there.

Because that’s what people do when they have defeated a dangerous enemy.

One – Piken Square

Yamialexa.5103

I also hope we get the afterparty and closure in a separate update, but it really, really should have been there right after we kill Mordy.

Only way to rectify this in my opinion is to have the closure to be the funeral of Eir, with emotions running from the loss of a dear friend and mentor, to the triumph of ridding the world of another Elder Dragon. Being a Norn funeral, there’s no problem mixing up the two in the same party.

So here’s hoping the next story patch brings tears of both loss and joy to our eyes.

You might want to put a spoiler warning into the thread titel or put that part into spoiler tags. From the titel people could assume that this is strictly about personal story and enter without caution, but it might spoil HoT story for them.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

The core game personal story ending reminded me of GW1 campaign endings.

That’s exactly what I was thinking as I read the original post. If I remember correctly, there were even fireworks at the end of Prophecies. Definitely a party.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Tom Gore.4035

You might want to put a spoiler warning into the thread titel or put that part into spoiler tags. From the titel people could assume that this is strictly about personal story and enter without caution, but it might spoil HoT story for them.

Good point. Originally when I made the thread I only talked about killing Mordy which I didn’t think would spoil much, but the part about Eir should be behind spoilers. Topic edited.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

Guys

You get to stab Trahearne in the face, only because of that HoT rules hands down, it was something the community wanted really bad for a long time. It was like being able to shoot the duck from Duck Hunt

Attachments:

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Spoilery conspiracy theories below:

I don’t think we have seen the last of Mordy. This idea is not my own, but I believe that when we killed Trahearne, we actually “reinvigorated” Mordremoth rather than finishing him. Trahearne had the seed of Mordy’s corruption in his mind, and when we offed him with the Caledbolg- an incredibly magical sword that indirectly comes from Mordremoth- we gave Mordremoth the energy it needed.

We even saw in the last cutscene magic coursing down the leylines across Tyria. I guess one perspective is that it’s some sort of “cleansing” magic. What I believe is that any sort of change in ley energy causes an imbalance. Scarlet caused and imbalance to awaken Mordy in the first place.

Analysing things on a story perspective, like the OP said, the story doesn’t feel rounded off or concluded. It’s abrupt- too abrupt, and doesn’t seem to follow the kind of finish we usually get from A-net.

I expect LS3 and probably even an LS4 covering further Mordy events. We know that each Elder Dragon has a weakness, a “rival” elder dragon to balance the magic consumption and to create some sort of equilibirum. Mordy’s opposite is Zhaitan (according to The Machine/Eternal Alchemy cutscene).

Also, during the HoT Story, we get told of a weapon/way to kill Mordy, but it’s never mentioned to us. I think it’s like this on purpose, rather than some sort of oversight after cutting the script down.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see!

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

i finished ps recently for 3rd time and i liked it more than hot which is too short and easy to repeat and get reward on multiple character since it is short more like LS/LW season rather than story of an expansion.
the ting is anet put a lot of resources into story telling in original game and one of the most strongest aspects of gw2 was/is its story but with hot they change direction toward raiding therefore you get kind of story telling similar to raiding games like rift…story is short because raider wants to go for raiding( the so called pve end game)
yeah that is traditional way of story telling in traditional games.
and gw2 changed direction toward them..does this means defeat for anet who claimed they don not make traditional games,maybe.
but to me gw2 is now another ordinary raiding mmo like many others.

Posted by: IntheCoconut.3497

IntheCoconut.3497

I do feel the ending was a bit lackluster. The fight was at least more engaging, and it felt much more polished to me than the Zhaitan story. I really only enjoyed pre-lvl 30ish personal story missions, the ones that pertained specifically to the character.

Once the undead and Orr and Zhaitan got involved, I found it tedious, drawn out, and boring. I have only completed the personal story twice because its soooo long. I kind of appreciated that the story in HoT was shorter. I’d rather have quality of quantity. That said, I still can’t help but wonder if they cut a lot of ideas because of time constraint.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I just finished the PS as well last night for the first time, never bothered to before because of the grouping requirement and it was sitting in the 70’s missions, but well mastery orb.

Anyways there is closure with the PS because the story was completed (even if orr is still the same lol), the HoT storyline is definitely not over and I expect it to continue with the living story early next year. Living story season 2 was the build up which they told over the course of 6 months, HoT is the middle which will be around for 4-6 months, before they move on to the end chapters probably over a course of 6 months as well into next summer. Not that much different than WoW which usually spends the year after an expansion release, releasing new content (new zones/raids) to finish their stories up for that expansion.

As for epic feels? Going through the last few chapters of the PS it felt like they were killing off every partner I had just to try and make the story more emotionally attached to the character, oh hey anon npc #325, welcome to my squad, here’s your red shirt, have a good day! Yeah I’m gonna get you now dragon! (shakes fist a lot). The celebration was a let down, after all that was done and the world was saved, I get some alone time with Trahearne, yay? XD The celebration definitely should have at least included all the major characters you interacted with throughout your PS.

The HoT story I felt a lot more attached to because of the team developed under the character, who you’ve had personal interactions with since season 1, and included moments that were actually shocking and sad to me. The fight with Mordie was more challenging (especially when dealing with dc’s and bugs!) from a single player perspective, as I don’t know what the group fight was like in the PS end. Now what we are left with was a cliffhanger, so no time to celebrate just yet.

Was the HoT story short? yes it was. But when it’s all said and done I’m sure we’ll find that LS2, HoT, and LS3 all together, completed, probably will have more meaningful content than the PS.

Does that justify HoT’s pricing? No it does not. Maybe if LS2 portion had come with HoT as well and not a year before it could have helped with that, but not much as there are other problems with the expansion and it’s pricing.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

The story was certainly left off hanging.

What happened to the remainder of the Pact? Our character states it’s all but gone, but as an organization is it dissolved? Troops moving back and leaving other dragons to DE2?

What happened to Pale Tree, Grove, Sylvari as a race? Why have we never heard about getting new Wyld Hunts before Caithe poped up with one. Did Trahearne get one after finishing Orr? If not, why? Did our character if they are sylvari?

What was Nightmare Court doing in Maguuma? I highly doubt they just caught a ride or were following Pact like nobles (ha).

What happened to the jungle? Did it lose sentience, or is it going to wither and die turning the landscape into desert? Since sylvari seem to be alive, I will assume the former.

The release of energy on Mordermoth’s death showed to travel not only to the egg but also to other directions (presumably to other dragons). This implies that each dragon we kill will strengthen remaining ones. Was that the case with Zhaitan? Why was there no mention of this at all before?

How are the non-sylvari races hanging? During LS2 a lot of resources were committed to the fight, most of which are now destroyed.

Just how much of the current events are guided by Glint? It appears that our characters are literally following the path laid out by her. Practically every decision we make ends up with us being in the right place at the right time. According to Exalted pretty much entire conflict was foretold by Glint and now we are just going through the motions?

Also

Can someone tell me WHY we bothered with Itzel in VB if only help we got was to track down Braham and Rytlock who found and followed the slave caravan which was our original target without any help?

Still, IMO the storytelling is better, if more railroaded than PS.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Well you have to remember that they would of had a lot more time to finish / polish it when it was released as LS3 months down the line, it’s inevitable that they’d not have enough time given it came out so soon.

Land of Cheese.2584

The celebration definitely should have at least included all the major characters you interacted with throughout your PS.

Dude, it did. Not only are most of them there when you cleanse Orr, they’re all there at Fort Trinity during the party. Just wander around. You can talk to all of them (and they all talk to each other). The only ones not there are from the level 10 and 20 story arcs which have nothing to do with Orr or Zhaitan or the Risen (so it makes sense that they’re not there).

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I haven’t completed the PS in a while, but the end of it, inspite of the battle being somewhat odd, was great. It felt like something had been accomplished. The mechanics of the final battle were not very epic, but they worked.
The end of HoT on the other hand was monotonous. Whether or not you are supposed to attack it with a group I do not know, but initially it was me and my wife in the fight, and it took us over an hour before we decided to ask our guild for help (people who could help had finally logged on by that time).
The primary problem with the time length was wiping. Not due to “l2p”, but due to bugs.
Rifts appearing out in the middle of the air where you can’t get to them. Jump pads that refused to work. At one point the boss just simply stopped moving or taking damage with nothing else able to be moved forward. With the instance where the portal was out in the air, we had to force quit GW2 because we couldn’t even die (the NPC’s kept rezzing us).
Finally, after getting a couple guildies to help, we managed to get through the fight to the end, but even then I ran again into the issue of the jump-pads/updrafts not working, so I got to watch the last half of the battle from the dead cage.
Being the instance opener, I felt anything like a pact leader running up to “Press (F) to kill bad guy.” These “final blow” situations need to be improved.
Then there was the scene with Traherne. I’m sure the two or three players in the entire game that actually like him felt this was a fitting ending.

As was previously stated, a fitting ending would have been a solid tribute to Eir, and maybe some interaction with Logan and Zojja who seemed to just up and disappear somewhere in that part of the story.

Mechanics-wise, the fight was ok. It was doable by two casuals who don’t read guides before playing. Our main issue was the bugs that caused wipes and such. Perhaps, now that I think about it, it was the issue of the bugs that made the whole thing seem so tedious and boring. Not sure.

Anyway, just disappointed overall in the HoT story.

Oh, and bringing back the mentors was just B-movie cheesy.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

The celebration definitely should have at least included all the major characters you interacted with throughout your PS.

Dude, it did. Not only are most of them there when you cleanse Orr, they’re all there at Fort Trinity during the party. Just wander around. You can talk to all of them (and they all talk to each other). The only ones not there are from the level 10 and 20 story arcs which have nothing to do with Orr or Zhaitan or the Risen (so it makes sense that they’re not there).

Oh were they? Basically only saw destiny’s edge surrounding me, didn’t bother exploring after the walk with Trahearne, being human was expecting Queen Jennah and Countess Anise to show up at least. Also you just saved the entire world, so yes it would make sense to have everyone there for a massive celebration.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Land of Cheese.2584

Ah, good point. No, the political leaders of the various races weren’t there (and at least humans should be, they’re the ones bearing the brunt of the Zhaitan’s pique). But all the one-off NPCs that you worked with from level 30 on up are all present.

I don’t know which story line your path followed but the asura thief from Timberline is there, the charr “we’re in love, no we’re really not” odd couple is there. Timmy Two Hands or whatever his name is, is there and some other gal you worked with (they talk about going out for drinks later — their parents are watching from a short distance away). Anyway, if you do the story again (or have the chance to do the party instance with someone who’s just completed it) definitely take the time to walk around and look for the familiar faces.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

It’s quite funny honestly. The final mission took everything that sucked about the ending of the PS, made it great………..but then took what worked and took a crap on that.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

what i dont like about gw2 story lines (both hot,living story and zhaitan story) is when the story and the progression of the story is explained in a sudden random way….

instead of going around step by step and collecting data and information and talking with people and discussing about the story you get to suddenly hear your character commander declare things and move on like nothing happened…

Living story was ok, ls2 was good too..but hot story had a lot of wtf moments such as times where ritlock shows up and just dismisses all questions about his herald class and says “i was in the mists, its full of monsters and heroes and legends and i learned how to harness their power” the end. Thats all you get about it…

you get to visit rata novas, a city of ancient asura that had a lab learning about the dragons, they knew they all had a weakness but you get NOTHING out of it…→ until you meet traherne that ,again suddenly just says "ill let you in the dream (doesnt matter if youre not a sylvari…aparently all sylvari can let people in the dream like the pale mother did to caithe in the sylvari tutorial) and youll have to beat modremoth there…even tho you dont actually get to see him or anything..

and the end? again your character just declares "we killed modremoth, the end. whops there is a seed in traherne lets kill him too, good now its done….

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

But u just killed ur most trusted friend

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Tom Gore.4035

But u just killed ur most trusted friend

It’s a war and people die. Trahearne at least redeemed himself by sacrifice. It was either that or having to fight and kill him as a dragon minion.

One – Piken Square