Half-naked females, fully draped males.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

We can discuse if people wearing thongs can fight or you need military grade realistic gear to just throw a punch on other place.
We can also make a different thread to debate if people should defend sexyness or die for prudeness.

Neither of those are the point of the thread.

IMO the OP is just right: if a set of armor is revealing, it should be revealling for both sexes. If a set is covering, it should be covering for both sexes. If it looks practical, make so for both sexes and the 5 races. If it looks glamorously soft and colorful, make it look just like that for everyone.

Is that simple (and hard). Make every type of character using certain set show the same intent and follow the same logic. Stop being inconsistent with the designs.

Then begin to make MORE designs. More diversity, and more quantity. Please.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

IMO the OP is just right: if a set of armor is revealing, it should be revealling for both sexes. If a set is covering, it should be covering for both sexes. If it looks practical, make so for both sexes and the 5 races. If it looks glamorously soft and colorful, make it look just like that for everyone.

Is that simple (and hard). Make every type of character using certain set show the same intent and follow the same logic. Stop being inconsistent with the designs.

Pretty much this.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

I just want to point out that if doesn’t make much sense to show much for medium armors in rpgs, I don’t think I’ve seen much of that for medium armors in any western fantasy game. The style of medium armor is very fitting, same goes for females I’ve seen some revealing but usually they just wear really tight rogue like gear.

Not sure I follow you. You’re saying there are no tropes that would apply for a revealing male medium armour skin?
I’d see the stereotypical native american look as counting as a medium armour, for rangers etc. Can’t get more western fantasy than Deadlands =)

Im saying medium armors for the most part in fantasy arent revealing, some are yes but not most.

Posted by: Fiddle Irk.9710

Fiddle Irk.9710

OMFG QUIT! Sorry gals but do do you not want you’re characters to be attractive? Why? not live up to them IRL? so what, this is a friggen video game! 99% of the guys that play this ( which is a larger part of the player base) do not live up to the male’s aspects, how much do we whine?f, not as much. Sry to be a derk but kitten cmon! don’t immerse yourself soooo much that a FANTASY GAME get’s criticized for it’s sexuality!!!!!!!!!! Think of this, IRL would you really run around in ANY of the armor skins? male or female? Get real people and CMON…. you’re at this point cryn for the sake of cryn because you want attention, grow up! No set of armor skins in game will make you feel better about yourself IRL , that can only be done via IRL work. so just do that if you wanna be better than you are now, and quit crying about in-game sexualism; this is A FANTASY.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I’m all for equality.. naked males and females, clothed females and males.. I only ask one thing..

One rule to rule them all..

NO MORE TRENCHCOATS Please…

Posted by: Doonx.5347

Doonx.5347

We can discuse if people wearing thongs can fight or you need military grade realistic gear to just throw a punch on other place.
We can also make a different thread to debate if people should defend sexyness or die for prudeness.

Neither of those are the point of the thread.

Could’t agree with you more, the biggest problem is there is always a huge difference between male and female set. As a girl i don’t like half naked female armor for myself, so regardless of charr and asura, i have 6 male characters and only 2 female, one for human and one for norn. But i don’t mind if others love them, and there is nothing about respectation or sexualism or self-prove or FANTASY……I just hope to have more choices. (Sign) I just remember that Anet love to make outfits rather than armor sets, so why bother…..

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

OMFG QUIT! Sorry gals but do do you not want you’re characters to be attractive? Why? not live up to them IRL? so what, this is a friggen video game! 99% of the guys that play this ( which is a larger part of the player base) do not live up to the male’s aspects, how much do we whine?f, not as much. Sry to be a derk but kitten cmon! don’t immerse yourself soooo much that a FANTASY GAME get’s criticized for it’s sexuality!!!!!!!!!! Think of this, IRL would you really run around in ANY of the armor skins? male or female? Get real people and CMON…. you’re at this point cryn for the sake of cryn because you want attention, grow up! No set of armor skins in game will make you feel better about yourself IRL , that can only be done via IRL work. so just do that if you wanna be better than you are now, and quit crying about in-game sexualism; this is A FANTASY.

When you just read the thread title and respond without actually understanding what the topic is about at all, it makes you looks like an [other word for donkey].

Posted by: Blade.1843

Blade.1843

Equality please. Give the males more skimpy attire on all 3 armor types, and give the females more coverage options. Everyone wins and they have a choice about it.

Posted by: Ellie.5913

Ellie.5913

Equality please. Give the males more skimpy attire on all 3 armor types, and give the females more coverage options. Everyone wins and they have a choice about it.

Why would the females need more coverage options whenever most of the armor & outfits already is extremely covering…. we need more LESS covering armor, not more covering, all we have pretty much is concealing huge bulky armor for both female and male.

Ellie.5913

Come back after a 2 year break from this game and this is still an argument?

Took about 5 minutes to check every female armor in the game and looks like there is still more non revealing armor for female characters than revealing armor.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Human_female_heavy_armor
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Human_female_medium_armor
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Human_female_light_armor
In fact most of the female armor sets I’ve never seen in game because all the female characters wear the same few skimpy sets, especially the light armor classes. Seriously if someone told me the Sorcerer’s, Embroidered, Winged, and Inquest tops were the only ones available for female characters I would almost believe them.

This isn’t an Arena net problem though. They cannot control that people overwhelmingly pick the skimpy options.

Now I can get behind adding more Conan the Barbarian gear for the fellas. The male options are so samey it’s boring. But to say female characters only have half naked options is quite false since they outright have less half naked options than fully clothed.

Whenever I look at the female armor in this game 1 word comes to mind…..nuns, they want us to dress like nuns. I don’t even wear boring conservative cloths in real life, so why on earth would I want to wear them in a fantasy game…

Attachments:

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Took about 5 minutes to check every female armor in the game and looks like there is still more non revealing armor for female characters than revealing armor.
In fact most of the female armor sets I’ve never seen in game because all the female characters wear the same few skimpy sets, especially the light armor classes. Seriously if someone told me the Sorcerer’s, Embroidered, Winged, and Inquest tops were the only ones available for female characters I would almost believe them.

This isn’t an Arena net problem though. They cannot control that people overwhelmingly pick the skimpy options.

Now I can get behind adding more Conan the Barbarian gear for the fellas. The male options are so samey it’s boring. But to say female characters only have half naked options is quite false since they outright have less half naked options than fully clothed.

Whenever I look at the female armor in this game 1 word comes to mind…..nuns, they want us to dress like nuns. I don’t even wear boring conservative cloths in real life, so why on earth would I want to wear them in a fantasy game…

Except we’re not really talking about the armour skins for the ladies in this thread. We’re talking about the fact that the armour skins for the men aren’t up to scratch in comparison.

There is such a huge difference between armour designs is some sets it’s a completely different set altogether. Point being, for female armour, we have a fair few sets to choose from to go skimpy – some of you might want more variety of those and it’s okay to ask for that, but can’t you see that this thread is doing as well, just for male armours? Going on about the female armours is out of place here (sorry to pick on your post, it’s just the last in the thread at the time of reading – I don’t want to come across as picking on you specifically, Ellie – I’m really talking to everyone discussing the want for more revealing female armours). I get you’re all passionate about what you’d like to see, but let’s try to stick to one thing at a time.

The male armour skins do not have the same level of choice, and this thread is asking for that. Nearly all the male sets are covered-up, and when they do show some skin, it often is questionable in aesthetic. We’re asking for straight-up equality in design: if the ladies’ armour is revealing, so too should it be for the men.

So can we get back on track and perhaps start discussing further design ideas for male armours? If we can establish some ideas as to what we all find appealing in male armours (as some of us have done already in the thread), then it can only be helpful to Anet.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Ellie.5913

Except we’re not really talking about the armour skins for the ladies in this thread. We’re talking about the fact that the armour skins for the men aren’t up to scratch in comparison.

There is such a huge difference between armour designs is some sets it’s a completely different set altogether. Point being, for female armour, we have a fair few sets to choose from to go skimpy – some of you might want more variety of those and it’s okay to ask for that, but can’t you see that this thread is doing as well, just for male armours? Going on about the female armours is out of place here (sorry to pick on your post, it’s just the last in the thread at the time of reading – I don’t want to come across as picking on you specifically, Ellie – I’m really talking to everyone discussing the want for more revealing female armours). I get you’re all passionate about what you’d like to see, but let’s try to stick to one thing at a time.

The male armour skins do not have the same level of choice, and this thread is asking for that. Nearly all the male sets are covered-up, and when they do show some skin, it often is questionable in aesthetic. We’re asking for straight-up equality in design: if the ladies’ armour is revealing, so too should it be for the men.

So can we get back on track and perhaps start discussing further design ideas for male armours? If we can establish some ideas as to what we all find appealing in male armours (as some of us have done already in the thread), then it can only be helpful to Anet.

It is actually on the same subject…He said female armor is naked and male isn’t. And what I and a few others are saying is female armor is just as covering as male armor, check out those links on the female armor, most of it is extremely covering. Sure you have a couple of armor pieces that shows maybe 2 inches of skin here and there, but you also have male armor that shows the same amount of skin as well. The point is no armor is very revealing in this game male or female. It’s all pretty much the same.

Ceridwen.6703

Whenever I look at the female armor in this game 1 word comes to mind.....nuns, they want us to dress like nuns. I don’t even wear boring conservative cloths in real life, so why on earth would I want to wear them in a fantasy game...

There is such a huge difference between armour designs is some sets it’s a completely different set altogether. Point being, for female armour, we have a fair few sets to choose from to go skimpy - some of you might want more variety of those and it’s okay to ask for that, but can’t you see that this thread is doing as well, just for male armours? Going on about the female armours is out of place here (sorry to pick on your post, it’s just the last in the thread at the time of reading - I don’t want to come across as picking on you specifically, Ellie - I’m really talking to everyone discussing the want for more revealing female armours). I get you’re all passionate about what you’d like to see, but let’s try to stick to one thing at a time.

It is actually on the same subject...He said female armor is naked and male isn’t. And what I and a few others are saying is female armor is just as covering as male armor, check out those links on the female armor, most of it is extremely covering. Sure you have a couple of armor pieces that shows maybe 2 inches of skin here and there, but you also have male armor that shows the same amount of skin as well. The point is no armor is very revealing in this game male or female. It’s all pretty much the same.

Ah, fair enough. It’s just I have both male and female characters (I have Team Chrono), and they are of all races. I have trouble with finding suitably revealing stuff on the male, and trouble being what I consider tasteful with the female characters - I do not wish my ladies to wear the fully covered stuff, I’d like middle ground - more or less how I am in RL (I live in Norway. It’s not usual to have swimwear on all the time, and I wouldn’t even if it were an option). I’d argue there is indeed revealing armour for ladies in this game. Not equally across the armour types, sure, but you can’t straight-up tell me it’s equal. It isn’t. Not by the longest of shots.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Umm, you may want to reread the title and the OP. What you claim this thread is about is not supported by the facts.

Ceridwen.6703

Umm, you may want to reread the title and the OP. What you claim this thread is about is not supported by the facts.

Yup, I realised that. Xkitten

ow on second cup of tea and hoping to be fully operational soon.

Also... had to edit my previous message on this note and then delete it after the edits didn’t work. Apologies all!

EDIT: And now there’s kittens. I hate this thread today.

Ellie.5913

It is actually on the same subject…He said female armor is naked and male isn’t. And what I and a few others are saying is female armor is just as covering as male armor, check out those links on the female armor, most of it is extremely covering. Sure you have a couple of armor pieces that shows maybe 2 inches of skin here and there, but you also have male armor that shows the same amount of skin as well. The point is no armor is very revealing in this game male or female. It’s all pretty much the same.

Ah, fair enough. It’s just I have both male and female characters (I have Team Chrono), and they are of all races. I have trouble with finding suitably revealing stuff on the male, and trouble being what I consider tasteful with the female characters – I do not wish my ladies to wear the fully covered stuff, I’d like middle ground – more or less how I am in RL (I live in Norway. It’s not usual to have swimwear on all the time, and I wouldn’t even if it were an option). I’d argue there is indeed revealing armour for ladies in this game. Not equally across the armour types, sure, but you can’t straight-up tell me it’s equal. It isn’t. Not by the longest of shots.

Check out this armor set, the male version is more revealing than the female version.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Braham's_Heavy_Armor_Skin
Not super revealing but shows more skin than the female version does. My point is that this game needs more revealing armor for EVERYONE, and different types of armor, most of it has the same theme imo. I want to role play as an uncivilized wild amazonian woman who makes her cloths out of animal skins & furs & bones & teeth and doesn’t cover up too much, and avoids civilization unless I need to go there to kill some one. >.< But yea the female armor in this game is not revealing at all imo.

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

well, in these pics my toons are wearing the same armor mix (minus the head gear). and know what? she wears those pants mainly because he CAN’T and i like them plenty. i’d like them much much more on him. and i guess the pics go with this threads title pretty well…

Attachments:

Ceridwen.6703

Check out this armor set, the male version is more revealing than the female version.
Not super revealing but shows more skin than the female version does. My point is that this game needs more revealing armor for EVERYONE, and different types of armor, most of it has the same theme imo. I want to role play as an uncivilized wild amazonian woman who makes her cloths out of animal skins & furs & bones & teeth and doesn’t cover up too much, and avoids civilization unless I need to go there to kill some one. &gt;.&lt; But yea the female armor in this game is not revealing at all imo.

Aye, I’ve seen that armour. It’s not particularly what I’m after (Team Chrono can’t use it! I may upload the Team for reference).

I agree, however, more choice is good - but that choice must sit firmly based in equality. It currently doesn’t. And whereas I may disagree on how you want female armour, I certainly don’t like it when we can’t both get what we want!

We should take into account the game’s content rating, too, so it may never come to anything much more than we have. I’ve used AoC as a reference point, but it’s an 18-rated game here in Europe (don’t know about the US). GW2 is a 12-rated game, so I figure it would be somewhat unreasonable to expect the exact same treatment between what is ostensibly an adult game versus a kid/tween game.

Xena rocked, btw. I actually think that sort of outfit would be okay.

EDIT: The Sims 4 just had an update where players could choose to enable clothes as unisex. TS4 has the same content rating as GW2. My thinking there is there are certainly possibilities to explore within a content rating.

(edited by Ceridwen.6703)

Ellie.5913

Not super revealing but shows more skin than the female version does. My point is that this game needs more revealing armor for EVERYONE, and different types of armor, most of it has the same theme imo. I want to role play as an uncivilized wild amazonian woman who makes her cloths out of animal skins & furs & bones & teeth and doesn’t cover up too much, and avoids civilization unless I need to go there to kill some one. >.< But yea the female armor in this game is not revealing at all imo.

Aye, I’ve seen that armour. It’s not particularly what I’m after (Team Chrono can’t use it! I may upload the Team for reference).

I agree, however, more choice is good – but that choice must sit firmly based in equality. It currently doesn’t. And whereas I may disagree on how you want female armour, I certainly don’t like it when we can’t both get what we want!

We should take into account the game’s content rating, too, so it may never come to anything much more than we have. I’ve used AoC as a reference point, but it’s an 18-rated game here in Europe (don’t know about the US). GW2 is a 12-rated game, so I figure it would be somewhat unreasonable to expect the exact same treatment between what is ostensibly an adult game versus a kid/tween game.

EDIT: The Sims 4 just had an update where players could choose to enable clothes as unisex. TS4 has the same content rating as GW2. My thinking there is there are certainly possibilities to explore within a content rating.

I agree, we both should get what we want ( not quite sure what you want but I’m sure I’ll never get what I want, I usually don’t) But I just went through and looked at almost every set of armor & outfit they have in this game and in most of them the male and female version looks almost exactly the same & both versions are VERY concealing with a few exceptions both ways. And I’m pretty sure not 100% sure but pretty sure gw1 and gw2 are rated the same and gw1 had WAY sexyer more revealing armor choices for both male and female, not sure why gw2 is soo against sexy and revealing armor when gw1 was all for it, seems were going backwards rather than forwards in this whole progression and freedom of choice thing. But anyways I hope you get whatever it is that you want eventually. PS. If the issue is men wanna wear woman cloths and vise versa, I don’t see a problem with that either, in lord of the rings online you can wear whichever outfit you like regardless of sex. Aint he pretty in his little sun dress and flower wreath

Attachments:

(edited by Ellie.5913)

Ceridwen.6703

I agree, however, more choice is good – but that choice must sit firmly based in equality. It currently doesn’t. And whereas I may disagree on how you want female armour, I certainly don’t like it when we can’t both get what we want!

I agree, we both should get what we want ( not quite sure what you want but I’m sure I’ll never get what I want, I usually don’t) But I just went through and looked at almost every set of armor & outfit they have in this game and in most of them the male and female version looks almost exactly the same & both versions are VERY concealing with a few exceptions both ways. And I’m pretty sure not 100% sure but pretty sure gw1 and gw2 are rated the same and gw1 had WAY sexyer more revealing armor choices for both male and female, not sure why gw2 is soo against sexy and revealing armor when gw1 was all for it, seems were going backwards rather than forwards in this whole progression and freedom of choice thing. But anyways I hope you get whatever it is that you want eventually. PS. If the issue is men wanna wear woman cloths and vise versa, I don’t see a problem with that either, in lord of the rings online you can wear whichever outfit you like regardless of sex. Aint he pretty in his little sun dress and flower wreath

I had a post earlier in the thread. It has a picture of my Sneakytim in it, from AoC. That’s what I’d be ultimately after, but it’s not something I see happening.

Loved the LotRO chap! <3

I’m actually after freedom of expression, and the safety in which to have it. I think a game like this can be a positive voice for that, and if it doesn’t hurt anyone or our individual selves, then it should be a thing. I don’t have to want to do or even like a thing myself to know it’s important that others should be able to experience it, although my personal constants are “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should” and “another world is possible”. I know it there are some constraints because of content ratings – the world can’t and won’t change in a day, and constraint isn’t necessarily a bad thing when we think of children (as this game does still cater to children with that content rating, and my own child is one of them). That TS4 comment was, however, something where positive, forward-thinking change has occurred, and shows what is possible.

(edited by Ceridwen.6703)

Ellie.5913

I had a post earlier in the thread. It has a picture of my Sneakytim in it, from AoC. That’s what I’d be ultimately after, but it’s not something I see happening.

Loved the LotRO chap! <3

I’m actually after freedom of expression, and the safety in which to have it. I think a game like this can be a positive voice for that, and if it doesn’t hurt anyone or our individual selves, then it should be a thing. I don’t have to want to do or even like a thing myself to know it’s important that others should be able to experience it, although my personal constants are “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should” and “another world is possible”. I know it there are some constraints because of content ratings – the world can’t and won’t change in a day, and constraint is necessarily a bad thing when we think of children (as this game does still cater to children with that content rating, and my own child is one of them). That TS4 comment was, however, something where positive, forward-thinking change has occurred, and shows what is possible.

OK I scrolled through and found your picture of your toon you were talking about and yes that is most definitely sexy, it kinda reminds me of an amazon outfit but a man’s version. I’d be VERY happy if they added stuff like that to this game in male AND female version. I think your country probably has way sexyer themed games and stuff than ours for some reason. ( USA ) But gw1 did have sexyer armor than gw2 anyways. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Necromancer_Elite_Scar_Pattern_armor_f.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Necromancer_Elite_Scar_Pattern_armor_m.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Monk_Flowing_armor_f.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Monk_Flowing_armor_m.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Paragon_Vabbian_armor_f.jpg (paragon my own personal favorite) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Paragon_Elite_Sunspear_armor_m.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Ranger_Elite_Druid_armor_f.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Elite_Gladiator_armor_m.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Elite_Gladiator_armor_f.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Mesmer_Obsidian_armor_f.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Ritualist_Vabbian_armor_m.jpg ( I always loved the vabbian boy rit armor but most dudes wouldn’t wear it for some reason) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Ritualist_Obsidian_armor_f.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Ritualist_Exotic_armor_m.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Ritualist_Elite_Kurzick_armor_m.jpg http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Necromancer_Obsidian_armor_m.jpg Soo soo many options that are all just sexy .

(edited by Ellie.5913)

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

please more options for guys to show some more skin too!
not all of us enjoy the overly dressed trenchcoat style, some of us prefer sleek, simple and sexy.

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

I complained about this for years, but I think it goes beyond Sexism.

Ironclad Appearance Pack:
- Perfect example
- I saw a male human with this. He looked hilariously kitten y, but it was a full set of armor.
- I have duplos for shoulder gear though and a skirt… a completely useless skirt.
- I realized after looking at this that the developers must have a pre-set model and skin archive they just copy-paste through. "Okay, this one gets the ‘Half-Skirt Open-Front’ package.
- It’s a way for the developers to make sure the armor always fits so they can whip up something quick to throw out on the Gem Store. Just go take a look through Wardrobe. It’s been the same few models year, after year, after year, without very, very, few exceptions.
- Not saying it’s good or bad. Anet has just been a heavy copy-paster since they moved on from Guild Wars 1.
- For all that, it IS sexist they won’t just go that extra step so that when the guys get a full set of armor so do the ladies.

Where I really get angry is that they never did this in Guild Wars 1
GW 1 – Female
http://www.pipeshow.net/GW/kur_fem_wa_15k.jpg
GW 2 – Male
http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Issac_1/media/perfectcombo.jpg.html

Results:
http://i.imgur.com/48Xntme.jpg

Guild Wars 2 definitely sold out on this one.

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2013/5/29/versus.jpg

http://www.dailydot.com/culture/repair-her-armor-skimpy-outfit-redesign/

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

When will you stop this obnoxious crap. Stop making separate rules for armor. You either stick with revealing for both or covered for both.

This is getting really tiresome. I expect this out of some Korean grindfest.

Not you, a western company.

Really have nothing better to complain about eh? Here’s an idea. If you don’t like skimy armor don’t use it. Simple.

Ellie.5913

When will you stop this obnoxious crap. Stop making separate rules for armor. You either stick with revealing for both or covered for both.

This is getting really tiresome. I expect this out of some Korean grindfest.

Not you, a western company.

Really have nothing better to complain about eh? Here’s an idea. If you don’t like skimy armor don’t use it. Simple.

I think he’s complaining that there is no skimpy male armor. But to be honest there really isn’t any skimpy armor for male or female in this game. True there are a very few female pieces that shows a tiny bit of skin where the male version doesn’t, but I wouldn’t call it skimpy at all. We all need some skimpy armor, female and male. Heck some of the npc’s have skimpyer armor than we are allowed to have.
It’s summer time give us some summer cloths and bikinis/speedo’s like Lord Faren and Kasmeer had. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Lady_Kasmeer_Meade_(The_Secret_of_Southsun).jpg http://dulfy.net/2013/05/14/gw2-southsun-mini-faren-and-mini-kasmeer/

(edited by Ellie.5913)

Posted by: themillwater.5846

themillwater.5846

Armor design went to hell after Kristen Perry left ArenaNet.

Armor design went to hell when they switched over to GW2.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_art

They shouldn’t change the way they’re making armour because male players prefer to make attractive female characters and cool-looking male characters. It fits both needs.

Could still work with skimpy male armor.

Conan wore a fur Speedo after all.

Oh you made me cackle, earning a “are you alright from a coworker?” lol

Posted by: Saphykun.3206

Saphykun.3206

Throwing in my two cents: I bought the Lich outfit so that my human male can run shirtless. I was Not Happy at the lack of nekkid male costumes, especially with disparity between certain craftable armor sets.
It doesn’t have to be totally bare too. Wrap a guy’s abs with bandages and bare the upper chest, give him a loose-fitting shirt with all buttons undone, have floating feathers swirl around his torso and around the arms, or wrap belts around his chest. The open vest hoodie pic a couple of pages back is a great example of revealing armor without being -too- revealing.
So that’s five ideas right there that can be worked with varying degrees of nudity. If you can make a skimpy outfit taking into consideration the boobie size variations, I’m sure you can make a skimpy outfit for a (mostly) flatchested guy.

(edited by Saphykun.3206)

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Medium armour Charr users need far less number of Coats!

Kima & Co

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Throwing in my two cents: I bought the Lich outfit so that my human male can run shirtless. I was Not Happy at the lack of nekkid male costumes, especially with disparity between certain craftable armor sets.
It doesn’t have to be totally bare too. Wrap a guy’s abs with bandages and bare the upper chest, give him a loose-fitting shirt with all buttons undone, have floating feathers swirl around his torso and around the arms, or wrap belts around his chest. The open vest hoodie pic a couple of pages back is a great example of revealing armor without being -too- revealing.
So that’s five ideas right there that can be worked with varying degrees of nudity. If you can make a skimpy outfit taking into consideration the boobie size variations, I’m sure you can make a skimpy outfit for a (mostly) flatchested guy.

If it’s tame enough for Disney’s Alladin… =P

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

This is a sign of SJW infection. Looking for evils where there are none. I will have steak, even if you can’t chew it.

I will play a female human in the skimpiest of clothing and there is nothing anyone will do about it I currently play a char, and well char arrent too attractive. I have that plate armor. My char looks like of like a snow leopard.

Posted by: DavyCakes.7508

DavyCakes.7508

This is a sign of SJW infection. Looking for evils where there are none. I will have steak, even if you can’t chew it.

I will play a female human in the skimpiest of clothing and there is nothing anyone will do about it I currently play a char, and well char arrent too attractive. I have that plate armor. My char looks like of like a snow leopard.

This isn’t about wanting to get rid of skimpy females though. It’s about wanting more skimpy options for males. As has been stated many times in this thread

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

For me, this isn’t about taking away anyone’s skimpy outfits. It’s about making the armor keep the same theme across both genders.

Here’s one of the most basic examples, the starting armor for mages (as shown on humans). Compare this to this. These two sets are the exact same armor in both cases, but they don’t look anything alike.

If they want to make sexy and revealing looks for one, then make it for both. If they want to make a fully protective look for one, then make it for both. Is that really too much to ask?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

If they want to make sexy and revealing looks for one, then make it for both. If they want to make a fully protective look for one, then make it for both. Is that really too much to ask?

It might be, actually.

For one thing, I don’t think the demand for ‘sexy/revealing’ armour is the same for both sexes. There’s always an extremely vocal group that challenges the status quo in these topics, but in-game you’ll see far more male characters of the tough, cool or stylish variety than anything else.

Posted by: Saphykun.3206

Saphykun.3206

For one thing, I don’t think the demand for ‘sexy/revealing’ armour is the same for both sexes. There’s always an extremely vocal group that challenges the status quo in these topics, but in-game you’ll see far more male characters of the tough, cool or stylish variety than anything else.

Because they have almost no choice save for certain pieces like the Lich/Daydreamer’s/Feathered. Speaking for myself here, I dropped money because I could make my human male run around half-naked. That’s the level of skimpy I want for my in-game males and wouldn’t hesitate to throw monies for some more stripperific guy costumes.

By no means am I a part of a “vocal minority” since I usually lurk, but I really wanted to add my voice to the crowd to support more smexy male armors. By all means keep/add the skimpy female costumes (imo)! Give the male characters some extra attention too

Posted by: Avan.1540

Avan.1540

Some love for armor that shows charr fur patterns would be nice… I’d like to show off the time I spent in the charracter generator without having to completely strip down :P – I have 19 charr, 20 slots (1 unused slot, which will be another charr), and unfortunatly, there is a lot of repetition in the armor and outfits they all use.

I know, theres a handful of options for charr in heavy armor, but medium and light? Almost nothing (aside form a few that show belly fur… which lacks patterning…). We really need much, much, more variety for charr. Also less clipping and stretched textures, but I’ll be happy if I can just show off my spots, stripes, or lackthereof with style.

20+ Charracters – Charr only player – NA Kaineng
Give Charr armor some more love!
Let us show our spots, stripes, or lack-there-of in style.

(edited by Avan.1540)

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

Because they have almost no choice save for certain pieces like the Lich/Daydreamer’s/Feathered. Speaking for myself here, I dropped money because I could make my human male run around half-naked. That’s the level of skimpy I want for my in-game males and wouldn’t hesitate to throw monies for some more stripperific guy costumes.

By no means am I a part of a “vocal minority” since I usually lurk, but I really wanted to add my voice to the crowd to support more smexy male armors. By all means keep/add the skimpy female costumes (imo)! Give the male characters some extra attention too

exactly this.
there are like 3 revealing male chestpiece skins in heavy and 1 or 2 in light. none in medium which i’d need for my main. gotta get daydreamer outfit for him probably although i don’t really like it except for the bare chest. and if i want bare legs (all the pretty sylvari glow to be seen)… only T3 cultural sylvari light armor comes to mind right now, though there might be 1 or 2 more. again not in medium.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It might be, actually.

Of course… since there’s a huge imbalance in options available.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It might be, actually.

While it would be nice to have some more skin showing on male outfits, there isn’t some big, untapped market.

Significantly more people used the lich outfit on women in both GW1 and 2 despite the armor being almost symmetrical while a little more revealing on men.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

It might be, actually.

While it would be nice to have some more skin showing on male outfits, there isn’t some big, untapped market.

Significantly more people used the lich outfit on women in both GW1 and 2 despite the armor being almost symmetrical while a little more revealing on men.

Do you have statistics to prove that? In the end it doesn’t truly matter though, because the raiment of the lich has those weird animal legs on males. In my opinion, most wouldn’t use it outside of Halloween just because the legs look weird. People who want revealing male outfits don’t want to change their leg structure as well.

On females the raiment of the lich has normal legs with very high heels. GW2 doesn’t have many options for such footwear, so it does stand to reason that it would be quite popular for female characters.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It might be, actually.

Do you have statistics to prove that? In the end it doesn’t truly matter though, because the raiment of the lich has those weird animal legs on males. In my opinion, most wouldn’t use it outside of Halloween just because the legs look weird. People who want revealing male outfits don’t want to change their leg structure as well.

On females the raiment of the lich has normal legs with very high heels. GW2 doesn’t have many options for such footwear, so it does stand to reason that it would be quite popular for female characters.

I’m quite certain it’s because of the side boob. People that had an opinion were upset that women got “kitten me boots” rather than goat legs like men got when the GW2 version first came out. I don’t recall a single post lamenting that men got stuck with hairy animal legs.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

It might be, actually.

I’m quite certain it’s because of the side boob. People that had an opinion were upset that women got “kitten me boots” rather than goat legs like men got when the GW2 version first came out. I don’t recall a single post lamenting that men got stuck with hairy animal legs.

PC people are often the most vocal, and of course they would throw a fit over high heels. This doesn’t mean that most people like the goat legs. Don’t get me wrong, they are great for Halloween, probably even better than the female version. However, for general use I believe that people would go for something more human-looking.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I like it how it is and want more revealing female armors.

Likewise. I like my characters to look sexy in games. Personally I’m tired of being chastised for that preference.

Yeah, well there are plenty of options for you and very little for players who don’t want their female characters to have revealing armor…

Math says you’re wrong dude. The covered versus skimpy ratio is something like 80:20, if not MORE skewed to covered.

The fact that nobody ever chooses covered says more about human psychology than the available armour sets.

Posted by: Zynt.5769

Zynt.5769

Likewise. I like my characters to look sexy in games. Personally I’m tired of being chastised for that preference.

Yeah, well there are plenty of options for you and very little for players who don’t want their female characters to have revealing armor…

Math says you’re wrong dude. The covered versus skimpy ratio is something like 80:20, if not MORE skewed to covered.

The fact that nobody ever chooses covered says more about human psychology than the available armour sets.

That’s actually a good point. When I’m in HoTM, the majority of human females (and norn females) tend to be wearing the “skimpy” options. However, you notice that they’re all wearing basically the same set, or specific pieces from certain sets.

stale.9785

That’s actually a good point. When I’m in HoTM, the majority of human females (and norn females) tend to be wearing the “skimpy” options. However, you notice that they’re all wearing basically the same set, or specific pieces from certain sets.

That’s always been the aspect of these threads that irritates me. People get up in arms about how many skimpy sets there are, when there really aren’t that many, taken as a whole.

What there is, is a majority of people choosing the skimpy sets, which skews perception.

That doesn’t make the OP’s point less valid, but people have been missing their point altogether.

The issue, insofar as there is one (I personally don’t see the problem, but still) is that the same set, worn on two different genders, can be grossly different.

The solution I would prefer is to have the current mismatched sets renamed, and have sets that are fairly close to gender neutral (body shape being the difference) substituted – that way, people who like the more open armour’s can have them, while those who would like to have their female wear armour that matches the male set have that option.

Ellie.5913

I see almost everyone wearing the exact same armor set, there’s only like a couple of sets that shows any skin and EVERYONE chooses those sets. So that might be why some people think there’s tons of skimpy armor in this game when it’s actually a few sets that everyone is wearing. There’s tons of covering armor, most of it is covering, but you don’t see it often being worn because most people choose 1 of the couple of slightly revealing sets. Most outfits they add to the gem store are extremely concealing and big and bulky or with butt capes also. I’ve noticed from reading dulfy gem store outfit updates that whenever certain people run out of skin showing armor or outfits to complain about they start complaining about " boob plates" >.< Some people just don’t want armor or outfits to be even remotely sexy, but that is most definitely the minority. I don’t understand why they don’t make more sexy, skin/fur/leaf showing sets for both male and female that the majority loves.

stale.9785

I see almost everyone wearing the exact same armor set, there’s only like a couple of sets that shows any skin and EVERYONE chooses those sets. So that might be why some people think there’s tons of skimpy armor in this game when it’s actually a few sets that everyone is wearing. There’s tons of covering armor, most of it is covering, but you don’t see it often being worn because most people choose 1 of the couple of slightly revealing sets. Most outfits they add to the gem store are extremely concealing and big and bulky or with butt capes also. I’ve noticed from reading dulfy gem store outfit updates that whenever certain people run out of skin showing armor or outfits to complain about they start complaining about " boob plates" >.< Some people just don’t want armor or outfits to be even remotely sexy, but that is most definitely the minority. I don’t understand why they don’t make more sexy, skin/fur/leaf showing sets for both male and female that the majority loves.

I think is has to do with the repression in North American society. Studies have shown that babies like SKIN. Not clothing, unless it’s gaudily coloured, but skin. Most people, given the choice, prefer to look at skin.

In North America, we pretend that’s not true. Skin is somehow shameful. While it’s not necessarily a majority view, the minority that dislikes skin is certainly vocal.

Add to that the confirmation bias that results from a multitude of people wearing the same “skimpy” armour sets, and that vocal minority goes postal.

None of this relates to the OP’s point, but it certainly covered most of the responses to the OP.

Ellie.5913

Well the OP is comparing female to male armor so I think it does go along with the subject. There’s really not that many naked female armors as everyone thinks, but yea males probably have a few less skimpy pieces than females do. The point is we ALL need more revealing armors that are all as equally revealing in both the male and female version. I still think we need Kasmeers and Farens bathing suits. Those would make a lot of people happy both male and female.

Posted by: Zynt.5769

Zynt.5769

Well the OP is comparing female to male armor so I think it does go along with the subject. There’s really not that many naked female armors as everyone thinks, but yea males probably have a few less skimpy pieces than females do. The point is we ALL need more revealing armors that are all as equally revealing in both the male and female version. I still think we need Kasmeers and Farens bathing suits. Those would make a lot of people happy both male and female.

If there were white boxer shorts with love hearts on for males, I guarantee you they would be very popular for the folks that like to troll, running around with the princess wand =P

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Some people just don’t want armor or outfits to be even remotely sexy, but that is most definitely the minority. I don’t understand why they don’t make more sexy, skin/fur/leaf showing sets for both male and female that the majority loves.

Count me among the ‘minority’ that isn’t particularly interested in sexy outfits. When choosing an outfit or skin combination, in order of importance I want my characters to look (1) stylish and (2) practical. The third criteria – (3)cool or sexy, is entirely optional.

I’m far more interested in lore appropriate armour (Elonia needs way more love), and sets that don’t clip or make my characters look like they’re one misstep away from toppling over while running. Furthermore, maybe I am old fashioned, but my idea of sexy shows the character’s physique without an excessive or impractical amount of skin.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Oh great, someone brought the topic back, I just feel its been talked about way to much at this point.