Hall of Monumental Frustration.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amaxia.5784

Amaxia.5784

My GW2 account is linked to my GW account (Prophecies, purchased on Steam). My GW account is over 5 years old and has two characters. I go to the Hall of Monuments GW2 and get nothing.

After doing some research and uncovering that the whole Hall of Monumental Failure system only works with the Eye of the North expansion for the original game (something NOT disclosed on the website), I decide to drop the extra cash on that, add it to my GW account (and that, in itself, was yet another exercise of patience, since there’s no clear and obvious information telling you that you need to add the key at the login screen, much less how that was supposed to be accomplished) and try again.

Nothing.

Okay, I make a brand new character in GW and go talk to Kimmes, because apparently, from what little I’ve been able to uncover, accounts past a certain age or which haven’t been logged into in a while need a little kick in the seat to get the whole process moving.

After talking to Kimmes in GW, I log out, log into GW2 and… Kimmes tells me to sod off.

This is why I gave up on GW almost 5 years ago. Too little information, too many roadblocks in finding it, and too many hoops to jump through. I paid for something, I shouldn’t have to go find an oracle to divine the information I need, or perform acrobatic tricks to get it.

Short version: your HoM system is as ugly and soul-destroying as your medium armor designs, A-net, and you should all feel terrible for implementing it in such a bad way.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Did you just make a post on the GW2 forums saying that you are going to quit GW1? :P

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How many points in the HoM do you have?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

This is why I gave up on GW almost 5 years ago. Too little information, too many roadblocks in finding it, and too many hoops to jump through. I paid for something, I shouldn’t have to go find an oracle to divine the information I need, or perform acrobatic tricks to get it.

All the info you could possibly need is there: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

You can even use /wiki in-game to open a page with the article you’re looking for.

As for your monument issue, have you earned any reward yet? What’s your main character name?

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Have you hung any tapestries? Dedicated any minis? Made any elite armors? Got any elite armors for your heros? Just having Eye of the North is not enough, and it was very clearly explained what was required.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

All the info you could possibly need is there: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

You can even use /wiki in-game to open a page with the article you’re looking for.

As for your monument issue, have you earned any reward yet? What’s your main character name?

Probably missing the Tapestries but I think you get one just for arriving at the Hall of Monuments.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Probably missing the Tapestries but I think you get one just for arriving at the Hall of Monuments.

Yeah. You get your first one after the first vision or sometime near there. The one with all of the titles (Honor) is already unlocked.

Posted by: Gendou.9620

Gendou.9620

Lets get something very clear here, the hall of monuments system was not made to honor anyone who bought GW1 as a sort of pay-to-acquire extra gear. Arenanet clearly stated the hall of monuments was implemented for long time veterans who achieved a long list of titles, mini-pets, special weapons etc within the GW1 game. This was never intended to apply to anyone who just owned the game and rarely played. It was to reward players who dedicated themselves both time-wise AND money-wise to the growth of guild wars following into the second game.

You are confused? Well then the feature wasn’t made for you is the obvious answer. I myself spent thousands of hours in guild wars 1 and feel great with the rewards I got, and I am glad Arenanet made a feature to appreciate players such as myself that stuck with them through all the years and success they achieved. Why should you be entitled to rewards without any work put in? People worked hard to get these rewards, so either get over it or put in the time to get them yourself(Don’t expect anything from delving in for a week or two; players like me spent YEARS, they are called “achievements” for a reason).

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s always best to research a product (or feature of said product) before purchase. The information you lack is readily available. You could even have just asked anyone with HoM rewards.

Now, you can have the pleasure of earning those rewards, because I’m sure you would not want to ‘pay to win’.

Happy adventuring!

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

I burned out at 49.

Capping elite skills is hard yo.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: LunarRXA.5062

LunarRXA.5062

Quite possibly the most entitled Hall of Monuments post I’ve ever seen. I spent about 300 hours playing GW1 while waiting for Heart of Thorns and I don’t regret it one bit. I got 32/50 points in the Hall of Monuments with help from /r/GuildWars and really enjoyed the game though I made a lot of threads asking for help from time to time.

Honestly, if you don’t have any patience then you shouldn’t play GW1. Getting into it this late in the game requires that you do your homework, be patient and most of all persistent. It’s not an easy game, and as Gendou said, the majority of the upper-tier rewards are reserved for GW1 Veterans.

I’ve seen plenty of players since I played waltz into /r/GuildWars and get their Fiery Dragon Swords with relatively little effort. The Hall of Monuments isn’t designed to be accessible to beginners; it’s basically an end-game achievement system…

Amaxia.5784

Quite possibly the most entitled Hall of Monuments post I’ve ever seen. I spent about 300 hours playing GW1 while waiting for Heart of Thorns and I don’t regret it one bit. I got 32/50 points in the Hall of Monuments with help from /r/GuildWars and really enjoyed the game though I made a lot of threads asking for help from time to time.

Honestly, if you don’t have any patience then you shouldn’t play GW1.

You didn’t read. Most of the respondents didn’t read.

The Hall of Monuments system is horrible. I’ve been trying to get it properly activated on my account for months, and recently went to the extreme of buying EotN to try to get it sorted because the information I’ve found indicates that it’s required, and nothing I’m doing seems to be working. I’m not asking for hand-outs. I’m not looking for an easy or free bonus. I’m irritated because I can’t MAKE THE FREAKING THING WORK.

Honestly, if you don’t have any literacy skills, you shouldn’t be playing the forum game.

Oh, look, I can be condescending and self-aggrandizing, too.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Honestly, if you don’t have any patience then you shouldn’t play GW1.

You didn’t read. Most of the respondents didn’t read.

The Hall of Monuments system is horrible. I’ve been trying to get it properly activated on my account for months, and recently went to the extreme of buying EotN to try to get it sorted because the information I’ve found indicates that it’s required, and nothing I’m doing seems to be working. I’m not asking for hand-outs. I’m not looking for an easy or free bonus. I’m irritated because I can’t MAKE THE FREAKING THING WORK.

Honestly, if you don’t have any literacy skills, you shouldn’t be playing the forum game.

Oh, look, I can be condescending and self-aggrandizing, too.

https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome

That took 2 seconds on google and it’s attached to Guild Wars 2’s site. The system works fine. It sounds like you haven’t done enough to earn anything.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

Jajajaja. *Bringing popcorns and sitting in the last of the 4 rooms in ToMBs after soloed all the dungeon.* my Perma will love this threat.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Looks like Ellieanna beat me to linking the HoM page.

Guild Wars 2 rewards are based on the achievements and honors accumulated by your Guild Wars character in the Hall of Monuments, which is only available in Guild Wars: Eye of the North. Check out our FAQ for more details. Pick up your copy of Eye of the North today and begin forging your legacy!

What were you reading, if that paragraph didn’t turn up in your research? I’m sorry you’re not satisfied with the Hall of Monuments system, or your Eye of the North purchase, but the site says you need the expansion, and it has a calculator to help you determine which rewards you’re eligible for.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Just a flesh wound.3589

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

Me too. ^^

50/50 HoM, and I love that part on the front page

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Haxwell.7398

Haxwell.7398

Sounds like you just bought Gw1 and EotN and expected handouts. You have to actually accomplish stuff in gw1 and eotn to actually get HoM rewards in GW2. And if you want a lotta rewards, you gotta work ur kitten off in gw1. If you are expecting handouts for money, just try and buy someone’s gw1 account who did the work.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well, if all he has done is linked he should have 3 points minimum and Kimmes should give him access to the armor for those points. He might need to wait 24 hours though for it to update.

What you might try, OP, and I know it’s a pain, but go back into Guild Wars 1 if it hasn’t updated after 24 hours have gone by. Talk to Kimmes again and toggle the options in between account and character a few times. Then log out of that game. Log into this game and speak to Kimmes in gw2 again.

ANet may give it to you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Don’t you have to place at least one tapestry even for the 3 ‘free’ points? So that you have a character that the HoM acknowledges?

Maybe not…I just don’t remember, it’s been sooo long.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Don’t you have to place at least one tapestry even for the 3 ‘free’ points? So that you have a character that the HoM acknowledges?

Maybe not…I just don’t remember, it’s been sooo long.

Yah. It’s been a long time. I was basing it on this Information from the Guild Wars 1 HoM page where it said that one monument is automatically unlocked.

Display
In order to display your accomplishments or acquisitions, a monument must be unlocked. The Honor monument is already unlocked when you first enter the Hall. Each of the other four is unlocked by covering the wall behind it with a Monumental Tapestry. You receive the first of these when talking to Gwen after viewing The First Vision. The other three are acquired as rewards for completing each of the Primary Story Arcs in Eye of the North (or though trade with another player).

But maybe he does. I’m sure you need them to display the items in your hall. I no longer remember if you need them to have it reflected in the HoM points. Too many years.

ANet may give it to you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh…I had forgotten one Monument is automatically unlocked. Of course, one would need to (at the very least) enter the Hall of Monuments. Then, once the 2 accounts are linked, I would think the first 3 points (and rewards) would be available.

OP can always contact the CS Team via the ‘Support’ link for assistance.

Posted by: Dimi Gravedancer.1463

Dimi Gravedancer.1463

From I remember, there is nothing for three points, however, those three points should at least grant you access to the HoM. But your first reward comes after you place your first item (mini,weapon,armor etc..etc..)

I Can outrun a Centaur!!! Crap TREE!!!!

Just a flesh wound.3589

From I remember, there is nothing for three points, however, those three points should at least grant you access to the HoM. But your first reward comes after you place your first item (mini,weapon,armor etc..etc..)

The first 3 points are shoes, pants and chest piece for each armor weight.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

If you are new to Guild Wars 1, meaning you didn’t play it hardcore prior to Guild Wars 2, the Hall of Monuments is a daunting undertaking in the extreme. But it’s not impossible. Keep this in mind because you have your work cut out for you if you want all the benefits.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards

Remember to link your accounts and good luck.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Dimi Gravedancer.1463

Dimi Gravedancer.1463

The first 3 points are shoes, pants and chest piece for each armor weight.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments

Ok, Thanks, forgot. Like everyone else has stated, it’s been forever!!

I Can outrun a Centaur!!! Crap TREE!!!!

Posted by: LunarRXA.5062

LunarRXA.5062

Amaxia, what is your actual GW1 Character name?

If we consult the HoM calculator we should all be able to see whether the GW1 systems consider your account to have earned any points.

If you’ve linked your GW1/GW2 accounts then it should display 3 points and carry over to the GW2 achievement panel.
https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome

I apologize if this sounds obvious, but your accounts do need to be manually [linked] together. You should be logging into GW1 with your GW2 credentials – email/password combination.

https://account.arena.net/modals/link-accounts

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

The OP is going to be really upset when they spend 1000 hours earning HoM points in GW1 then just get given a few skins and titles in GW2…

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The OP isn’t especially descriptive, but you can’t just make a new character and take it to the Hall of Monuments. It has to be leveled half-way to max (Level 10) before being able to enter Eye of the North…at least, as far as I remember. OP didn’t give the impression of being very patient to do so, but perhaps it was accomplished before trying to interact in the HoM.

Maybe it’s changed, and there are insta-level items in Guild Wars now, though.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The OP is going to be really upset when they spend 1000 hours earning HoM points in GW1 then just get given a few skins and titles in GW2…

I’d think they would already know the rewards prior to doing that. Besides, GW1 is fairly fun to play.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Dude… You need to PLAY EOTN, you need to hang tapestries in the GW1 HoM and then dedicate minis, armors, weapons, titles, etc to the HoM. Only then will you get rewarded in GW2. I am not sure what you expected but just adding EOTN to your account isn’t going to do anything for you.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

So, what the OP have to do to simply ENTER the HoM?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Dinks.2478

So, what the OP have to do to simply ENTER the HoM?

To enter it all he has to do is add EOTN to his account and then talk to the NPC in GW2 to receive the portal stone.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Maybe I missed it skimming through, but has the OP stated what they are after as far as HoM? Cuz it’s just a bunch of titles and skins, very few of which I ever use. I do like the Fellblade.

Seems like a lot of effort for so little gain, especially since they only had Prophecies.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m sorry you don’t like the rewards. In my opinion the Fiery Dragon Sword is one of the top 10 weapon skins in the game. I’ve also enjoyed being able to have free skins while leveling up (so I can avoid spending on transmutation charges).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Amaxia – The problem is there’s not a lot of information in your post, so we’re having to guess at what the problem is. At the moment it reads like the GW1 equivalent of someone complaining that they wanted one of the new Heart of Thorns legendaries so they went to the ‘extreme’ of buying HoT and now are confused that they’re not all in their inventory.

I’m not sure what you’ve read, or not read, that’s made this confusing but the Hall of Monuments skins are rewards for playing GW1, not simply for owning it. Buying EotN isn’t supposed to make them all available, it’s supposed to give you access to the content that enables you to collect and register the necessary achievements, then you have to go and complete those achievements.

A good place to start is this page: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards

That gives you step by step instructions on how to earn points. Some of this will be things you’ve done already if you used to play GW1 so that may make it a bit easier, but some you will need to spend quite a bit of time on. Assuming you want to unlock all the skins. If you only want the first few that’s a lot easier. (I know a lot of people only want the armour or the Fiery Dragon Sword, so they just get 5-10 points and then stop.)

The main Hall of Monuments page might also be useful, if you’re still having trouble getting the accounts to show as being linked:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Maybe I missed it skimming through, but has the OP stated what they are after as far as HoM? Cuz it’s just a bunch of titles and skins, very few of which I ever use. I do like the Fellblade.

Seems like a lot of effort for so little gain, especially since they only had Prophecies.

I’ve not seen the OP say what they’re after. But I know some people who bought and played GW1 entirely to get the Fiery Dragon Sword and consider it well worth it.

It is a lot of effort if you’re starting from scratch and want to get 50, or even 30 points though. It made more sense the other way around – when it was being offered to GW1 players as an incentive to play GW2 as well without feeling like you were losing all the time and effort you put into the first game. I think most people were able to add some things to the Hall as soon as they unlocked it (or added the tapestries) because they’d gotten them in the course of playing the game, so getting the rest didn’t seem as bad.

The funny thing is that was before we even knew what we’d be getting. All Anet said at first is it wouldn’t transfer items directly, added a destroyer sword wouldn’t give you a destroyer sword in GW2, the items wouldn’t give anyone an advantage and it would be possible to use them at all levels. But I don’t think they’d created the transmutation system at the time, or even decided how it was going to work, so it was all very vague.

I ended up wasting a lot of gold on minis because I made sure I only got undedicated ones so I could add them to my Hall – I had something like 70 of them by the time the calculator came out and I found out I only needed 50.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’m sorry you don’t like the rewards. In my opinion the Fiery Dragon Sword is one of the top 10 weapon skins in the game. I’ve also enjoyed being able to have free skins while leveling up (so I can avoid spending on transmutation charges).

Did I say that I don’t like them? I even use a couple of them (although I never really liked the fiery sword – too flashy hehe). It’s just that its the OP seems to think that HoM will magically give them loads of goodies, which is only true if they’ve done the right stuff. The rewards are more of a nod to your dedication/obsession with GW1 rather than really useful stuff.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Did I say that I don’t like them? I even use a couple of them (although I never really liked the fiery sword – too flashy hehe). It’s just that its the OP seems to think that HoM will magically give them loads of goodies, which is only true if they’ve done the right stuff. The rewards are more of a nod to your dedication/obsession with GW1 rather than really useful stuff.

My mistake then. You are probably correct that some people (including perhaps the OP) have over-valued the benefit to them of going back to GW1 to unlock rewards for GW2.

I misinterpreted “just a few skins” as meaning “not that valuable” — to me, that FDS is incredibly valuable. (I’m sure I’ve amortized the time I spent on GW1’s HoM by how many times I’ve swung that skin with gusto.) I realize now, you were paraphrasing from the point-of-view on someone too focused on getting to HoM 30/50 without considering the time required relative to what they would earn.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Artorius.6178

Artorius.6178

For the record, never been to HoM in GW1, have my accounts linked, and have 3 points, and the accompanying heritage parts.

You need only link accounts and own EotN, good luck with anything else, I was quite eager to get the rewards, until I realized the effort it was going to take in a now practically empty game.

I can barely even force myself to play through the story of the expansions/base game I have to get more then the 3 points I have now lol.

To me, someone who never could get into GW1 due to how the map system worked, the whole ‘’your own private copy of the world’’ thing, it just all feels too dated now, immediately I get irritated with functions I don’t have in GW1 that I do have here.

Kudos to all those 50/50 folks, either because they played GW1 for years, or because they could do what I can’t now, I’ve long settled for the 3 points and -maybe- get just what I need to complete the heritage set.

Luciana Aventius – Ranger – Gandara

(edited by Artorius.6178)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

I burned out at 49.

That’s easy. Mapping is hard yo.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

Me too. ^^

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

Me three.

<—On that character XD

Crazy definitely describes me…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Dinks.2478

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

I burned out at 49.

That’s easy. Vanquishing is hard yo.

Just a flesh wound.3589

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

Me too. ^^

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

Me three.

<—On that character XD

Crazy definitely described me after I ran through all the map with my nose pressed against the borders, then spent an annoying amount time trying to glitch through the portals to get the tiny areas between maps.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

I burned out at 49.

Na vanquishing a map that has no out post next to it is hard yo. Dragons gullet, spearhead peak. And the map with the lysa temple in the shiverpeaks. They are hard to do.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

Me too. ^^

M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

Seriously, you crazy.

Me three.

<—On that character XD

Crazy definitely described me after I ran through all the map with my nose pressed against the borders, then spent an annoying amount time trying to glitch through the portals to get the tiny areas between maps.

Yup.. been there, done that.

And respawned the same map a dozen fricking times trying to get the right boss to cap a skill…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

HOM weapons? Bleh.

However, that Raccoon… still my fav Mini. Such an adorable swimmer.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Ambika.6257

Ambika.6257

Vanquishing is what I miss most about GW1! Those 4 player maps were a fun challenge! XD

Amaxia.5784

5, if I can get the accounts linked. 3 for linking, 2 for… dedicating(?) the minis I’ve collected from my birthday gifts (one was gold, four white).

Well, if all he has done is linked he should have 3 points minimum and Kimmes should give him access to the armor for those points. He might need to wait 24 hours though for it to update.

What you might try, OP, and I know it’s a pain, but go back into Guild Wars 1 if it hasn’t updated after 24 hours have gone by. Talk to Kimmes again and toggle the options in between account and character a few times. Then log out of that game. Log into this game and speak to Kimmes in gw2 again.

I spent quite a while trying that. I made a new character and spoke with Kimmes in Ascalon, pre-Searing. Neither worked.

The problem appears to be my account name. I can’t change it to my e-mail address, so I can’t link the GW account to my GW2 account. It’s not a matter of being unable to change it for personal or esoteric reasons, the option to change it simply doesn’t exist.

I went through the support articles to find the process for changing the account name. The article ( https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147506-Guild-Wars-Accounts-Their-Effect-on-Guild-Wars-2 ) which should have addressed the problems I’ve been beating my face against said I have to edit my profile. This is where the entire process comes to a sudden collision against the wall of reality:

There is no option to edit my profile. I can edit passwords on both accounts, birth date, my real name, but neither account gives me the option to modify the account name. So I can’t link the accounts by changing info on either, because the option to make the necessary changes don’t exist for either account.

The only option presented is verification on the GW account name, and that doesn’t work because the @ncsoft appended to my GW account name keeps trying to send e-mail to me @ncsoft, rather than to my proper e-mail address (same e-mail address i was using when i installed GW over 5 years ago).

I opened a support ticket this morning. They made this mess, they can clean it up. Thank you, just a flesh wound, for trying to help.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I spent quite a while trying that. I made a new character and spoke with Kimmes in Ascalon, pre-Searing. Neither worked.

And there’s your problem. You dont get there in the tutorial. You get there by reaching level 10 AFTER the Searing.

Q: How do you access the Hall of Monuments in-game?

Guild Wars: Eye of the North expansion. Once a Guild Wars character has reached level 10, they can speak to an NPC who will give them a quest:

Prophecies characters can speak to Len Caldoron in Lion’s Arch.
Factions characters can speak to Minister of Maintenance Raiugyon in Kaineng Center.
Nightfall characters can speak to Bendah in Kamadan.
This quest will send characters to the Eye of the North outpost, which is where they can enter the Hall of Monuments.

https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/faq/