Hall of Monuments Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

I have been meaning to post this for a long time and now I am. LOL

When they announced EOTN, there was a big hoopla about achieving things in GW1 and how they would pay off in GW2. We could show our armors from GW1 in GW2, our special weapons etc. Well we received skins to use, and the mini pets achieved as promised. The skins were a nice touch as on level weapons would be used and forgotten all to quickly.

My questions are as follows:

1) Why is it just ruins? What happened to the statues of past accomplishments, weapons, mini pets, and companions?

2) We were told we could share our achievements via the HOM with others. Other than 4 or 5 titles how do we do this?

3) Are there any plans for a future update to have them appear as promised or is this another game co. promise that didn’t make it live?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think you misunderstood what was ‘promised’. We got exactly what they spoke about for years. I have heard nothing about an update concerning the HoM, but who knows what the future may bring. =)

’Heroes are born in the crucible of conflict and tempered in the flames of battle. Their deeds shine throughout history as a beacon of hope to those who must rise to defend the world in ages to come, becoming part of the legend of the land. The legends forged within Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, and the Eye of the North will not be forgotten in the future world of Guild Wars 2.

Your deeds from the original Guild Wars campaigns will be commemorated in the Eye of the North expansion in your Hall of Monuments. The Hall of Monuments will reflect the achievements you earn in Eye of the North as well as those earned in Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall. You will even be able to show off your hall to friends. Then, when Guild Wars 2 arrives, each of these monuments will correspond to special features your Guild Wars 2 characters can “inherit” from your own legendary past, giving you access to exclusive titles, companions , weapons, attire, and miniatures. These inherited items are unique: there is no other way within Guild Wars 2 to acquire them. ’

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

IIRC, the hall is in ruins because the game takes place 250 years after the events of GW. Presumably the hall was abandoned shortly after and has been empty (except for ghosts) for some 200+ years.

It would be a simple matter to introduce a personal version of the Living World story that would allow you to reclaim the hall and rebuild it, even restock it with items relevant to GW2 achievements… maybe something to post about in Suggestions.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

When I first go to my HoM in GW2, I said “SOMEONE ROBBED ALL MY WEAPONS/MINIPETS”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

IIRC, the hall is in ruins because the game takes place 250 years after the events of GW. Presumably the hall was abandoned shortly after and has been empty (except for ghosts) for some 200+ years.

So, exactly how it was found by the Ebon Guard – it was supposed to be a construction well-predating humanity. It has managed to survive all those years unscatched, just to fell to pieces in the measly 250 years now? I just don’t buy it.
And the damage we can see is wear and tear damage, not an effect of deliberate destruction…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t know. Who knows how it got damaged after Jormag awoke. These buildings might have stood a long time, but I doubt they could stand against a dragon’s attacks. We don’t know what happened to it, but I’d assume Jormag has something to do with it.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I hope we can “fix” it up during the gw2 period to transfer more GW1 items/weapons to gw2. I would love to see revamped/restyled versions of gw1 stuff. A good looking BDS, storm daggers, silverwing bow, gw1 minis. stuff like that.

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

I want the statues of my comrades back Koss , Cynn , Mhenlo , and Dunkoro along with the other heroes that helped me take down abbadon .

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

I am going to guess all the GW1 HoM stuff was taken out of HoM by your GW1 chars when EotN got evacuated (before or after EotN got destroyed).

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It would be nice to be able to see all the statues in GW2 but as far as I’m aware they never said that would happen. Originally they were saying we wouldn’t even get to enter the Hall, there was going to be a vendor in your home instance who gave you these items.

You can show them to other people in GW1 though – add them to your party and you all go into the party leaders HoM, only thing which won’t appear is the Rainbow Phoenix.

As for why they did it this way I’d guess it would take far more work than it’s worth to make the items show up. This way they only have to save a record of how many points your account has, to determine which items show up in the menu. To make the actual items show up they’d have to save records of every single item every account has on the server. That’s a lot more data.

They’d also have to re-create the models for every single mini, armor set, statue etc. otherwise they’d look really crappy next to the GW2 style scenery. And figure out a way around the armor sets appearing on a model of the character you enter with in the dye you’ve got on, since that wouldn’t make sense.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”