Halloween Event Info

Halloween Event Info

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hey all,

We discovered an issue with the Halloween Festival that we wanted to share with you: The festival activities are not giving Mastery experience for characters that are level 80.

This was not an intended mechanic, but with the festival underway it would be extremely risky to attempt to correct this right now. Weighing the options, it’s best not to take a risk that could impact everyone’s ability to play Halloween content this year and in future Halloween festivals, as well. We will be taking a look at the festival code after the Halloween event ends and we hope to have this situation corrected for next year’s fall extravaganza.

Thanks for your understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

While that’s a bummer, and will be affecting how much I play the Halloween content, I’m glad to hear that it’s a bug, rather than what’s intended.

Thanks for the clarification! It means a lot just to know that devs get sources of player frustration like this, even if it isn’t going to be fixed while the festival is live.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

Huge bummer, guess its time to grind other content. Halloween events would have been perfect for gaining Masteries whilst enjoying the festivities.

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

While that’s a bummer, and will be affecting how much I play the Halloween content, I’m glad to hear that it’s a bug, rather than what’s intended.

Thanks for the clarification! It means a lot just to know that devs get sources of player frustration like this, even if it isn’t going to be fixed while the festival is live.

In return, thank you for understanding. Seriously, it’s not something we’re happy about, but given the chance of possible damage in ways that could even impact future Halloween festivals, I think the right decision was made.

Huge bummer, guess its time to grind other content. Halloween events would have been perfect for gaining Masteries whilst enjoying the festivities.

Yes, we truly wish you had been able to do that. Very sorry!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Glad to hear it’s a bug, even though I’m pretty bummed you can’t hotfix it.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

In return, thank you for understanding. Seriously, it’s not something we’re happy about, but given the chance of possible damage in ways that could even impact future Halloween festivals, I think the right decision was made.

Yes, we truly wish you had been able to do that. Very sorry!

The communication is appreciated.

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Thanks Gaile, but since this is a bug why not, oh, fix it? Any other bug would get that consideration but this is a big one.

Will we get the experience credited to us after the festival?

We have a rock-and-a-hard-place decision. To have fun in the labyrinth or leave it to train up our central tyria masteries. Obviously we do not know the code but xp is xp so…

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Asking for extension of Halloween events then.
Really appreciate this wasn’t intended and the notice for us though I am in the camp that would rather see this fixed before Halloween leaves and simply extend the duration of Halloween.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Very glad to hear this is a bug. While it’s extremely disappointing (almost tears worthy), I’ll survive. Thank you immensely for letting us know, Gaile.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

Actually, you need to start looking over this code right away to make sure this doesn’t become a problem for Wintersday.

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Ah shame. It explains why labyrinth is so empty, but if it cant be done, it cant be done.

Pity the code is such a minefield, such fixes could be so risky tho.

Appreciate the communication at leasr

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I was already leery of doing Halloween activities once I noticed I was not getting the XP applied to my masteries. Knowing it is a bug at least normally gives us hope that nobody planned this and it is being fixed. The knowledge that it will not be fixed before the festival ends makes it much worse though.

I do have to wonder what is going on. We have already have had several builds today. Why is this one, which affects everyone owning HOT and participating in the events, not even going to be looked at until after the festival?

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Hey all,

We discovered an issue with the Halloween Festival that we wanted to share with you: The festival activities are not giving Mastery experience for characters that are level 80.

This was not an intended mechanic, but with the festival underway it would be extremely risky to attempt to correct this right now. Weighing the options, it’s best not to take a risk that could impact everyone’s ability to play Halloween content this year and in future Halloween festivals, as well. We will be taking a look at the festival code after the Halloween event ends and we hope to have this situation corrected for next year’s fall extravaganza.

Be happy its bugged or people would farm the whole tyria mastery exp in one day. Way too much exp in there.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I was really hoping to get some Tyria mastery exp from Halloween. But oh well. Glad to hear it wasn’t intentional though.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

hehe, hearing that it was a bug is now a bummer, I was fine with it before, but it does not matter to me, I just find the situation funny now.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Well as a world vs world player, getting the only one mastery that matters to me and only able to get it through PvE content is pretty annoying so I was looking for to halloween to help this.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Hey all,

Are they looking into the Wintersday code to make sure that particular content will impact Masteries properly through XP gain?

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Lexan.5930

Lexan.5930

Thanks for posting about it gale. I noticed it when I played a little today. I wonder if it has to do with Halloween stuff like being the mad king labyrinth putting your mastery exp bar to 0/0 or something like that.

Either way haloween looks awesome this year and I’m excited to play with my wife when we get home from work tonight. She says hi and hopes you remember us from pax east

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Thanks for letting us know.

On a related note, are the dyes going to be a gem store item?

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Sooo… Halloween is basically a washout this year

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Great… well not great, but this saves me going to Maguuma and risking the prologue bug in order to unlock Masteries, since I won’t be able to work toward any legendaries with Halloween

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Toyah.4902

Toyah.4902

Hey all,

Thanks Gaile. What about characters below 80?

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: imprezaSTi.7326

imprezaSTi.7326

thanks for posting about it, i’m abit disappointed that the bug turned out like that this year.

just a curious question: is that why that the achievements from the mad kings clocktower didnt activate this year?

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I really want to vent about this problem, but with such a professional and polite response Gaile, I just can’t bring myself to do so. Can’t say I’m not hugely disappointed, but I appreciate the acknowledgement of it being a boo boo…yes, pun definitely intended

Thank you for taking the time and for the honesty.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Kyven.7514

Kyven.7514

Bummer.

Guess that this means I’ll have to spend more time in the jungle, then.

Thanks for letting us know.

In the meantime, I’m super impressed at this expansion right now (I basically squealed for 5 minutes when I came to the Falls and met M.O.X. at the bottom). Just…thank you. It’s the little things like this that make the experience for me.

Lareswen-Human Warrior/Zinnia Epsilon-Asura Mesmer
The Tyrian Institute (TI)
One of the few Americans on Gunnar’s Hold (EU)

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I can still level my 70-something Revvie in there, so it is all good in the hood, here.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Would it be possible for you guys to cheat this one for us? Like gift out a “chunk of Mastery XP” consumable to players that do a certain amount of the content?

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Little Leota.5849

Little Leota.5849

This is the first year I’ve experienced the Halloween Festival, although I’ve had GW2 since beta, and I’m having a blast! I love the look and sounds of Lion’s Arch, and the activities are so much fun! I don’t mind not getting the mastery points, as there will be time for those later. Just had the best time in the Labyrinth! I was part of a zerg with a great commander (wish I would have noted his or her name), and there was even an ArenaNet employee with us (again, I was so immersed in playing I failed to note his or her name), but I just want to say to the commander and to ArenaNet, it was awesome!

Yep, for me, mastery points will still be there to achieve when Halloween is over.

Happy Haunting!

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Don’t believe it. Sorry its just way too much of a coincidence.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Meclorx.3249

Meclorx.3249

Bullkittens.. sorry Gaile, and I know you were told to say that, but wow. Rubbish and you know it.

Next bit is nightfury requires blc bat sword. Woot for spending gems , folks. Go-team?

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I’m pretty disappointed that this won’t be fixed until next year. It would have made grinding core masteries a little less miserable to do labyrinth since we don’t get to do that so often instead of doing the same stale content we’ve done every single day for years now.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

I need to be more observant, since I just poured over an hour into the labyrinth before noticing this problem. I appreciate the communication, but I am also frustrated. This reminds me of the last special event, Mordrem Invasion… which also didn’t go well.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

This is the first year I’ve experienced the Halloween Festival, although I’ve had GW2 since beta, and I’m having a blast! I love the look and sounds of Lion’s Arch, and the activities are so much fun! I don’t mind not getting the mastery points, as there will be time for those later. Just had the best time in the Labyrinth! I was part of a zerg with a great commander (wish I would have noted his or her name), and there was even an ArenaNet employee with us (again, I was so immersed in playing I failed to note his or her name), but I just want to say to the commander and to ArenaNet, it was awesome!

Yep, for me, mastery points will still be there to achieve when Halloween is over.

Happy Haunting!

This.

Halloween wil be here for 2 weeks, HoT will be here for years to come. I did wonder about it, glad that it is by accident instead of design…

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Unacceptable. It’s just that simple. Unacceptable.

Of course. I’m not playing anymore since you’ve managed to destroy P/P thieves. So why should I care how you’ve managed to further crash your game?

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

I need to be more observant, since I just poured over an hour into the labyrinth before noticing this problem. I appreciate the communication, but I am also frustrated. This reminds me of the last special event, Mordrem Invasion… which also didn’t go well.

The Mordrem Invasion events was a one-time event that was terrible. Or it was designed by an intern (popular theory on Reddit) or we were used as beta testers for some content without being told (another popular theory on Reddit).
Halloween is a yearly event. This is the 4th year. A lot of the code is reused from previous years and ArenaNet forgot to change the XP part. Stupid, should not have happened, but just an example of “old” code a developer forgot to change when he releases a big update. More importantly I think is that the developers change the XP for the next holiday event, Wintersday. So we can level masteries in that event.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Hey all,

Thank you for clarifying that, Gaile. Would you be able to confirm or deny whether or not Living Story instances are bugged in this manner as well? The exp bar to mastery is blocked out like in the Labyrinth.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Sinzaku.2980

Sinzaku.2980

Unacceptable. It’s just that simple. Unacceptable.

Of course. I’m not playing anymore since you’ve managed to destroy P/P thieves. So why should I care how you’ve managed to further crash your game?

Dat rage, you dont play anymore but you still come on forum for share your negativity ? Logic pls

“Necromancer in Heart and Soul” ~ #8k Hours#Asura
-(EvE ~ EU)-

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Naruchico.7625

Naruchico.7625

Just a quick thought, but could we get maybe a nightmare, before christmas as a little brief bonus for this oops

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: UNO.4906

UNO.4906

god knows how many hot fix you distributed since HoT launch and you’re telling me you can’t fix this? I find it hard to believe and no I’m not going to waste my time on your game.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: IronPhoenix.2045

IronPhoenix.2045

Ok so no Halloween for me this year. Very dissapointed. If i farm now 2 weeks and i get just loot but i made zero for HoT it feels just so bad. At least you guys said its a bug but i wont play any Halloween event for this year no xp no Halloween :/

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

Lol. No Halloween event for a huge part of the population, now. Combined with the release, I’d be amazed if anyone did the Halloween event at all.

One foot out the door, yet again.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Lol. No Halloween event for a huge part of the population, now. Combined with the release, I’d be amazed if anyone did the Halloween event at all.

I do. And I think there are a lot more, not everybody needs to have everything on day one.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Hey all,

Gaile, it’s kind of sad you know? Gaming experience is sooooooooooo bad for so many new players. I just can’t express how will they look on the event next year, when they won’t even get hyped any more.

Halloween is bigger gaming experience for many new players then HoT keep that in mind.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I say risk it. If it goes wrong, extend the halloween event, doesn’t take much to come to that conclusion

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Ah well. I wasn’t really.planning on starting HoT in earnest till after Halloween. So no problem for me. Would have been a bonus, but I do not see it as an issue.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: XYLUM.7286

XYLUM.7286

How CONVENIENT

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Special K.8143

Special K.8143

i agree that not fixing this till after the event is unacceptable. If this happened last year, where level 80 toons werent getting plain XP during Halloween events, you would of fixed it. But because you have release HoT and all the content that came with it, “Anet” has decided "well, the players might not like that they are not getting XP towards masteries, but they have all the new “shinies” that is HoT, which should distract them so they shouldn’t complain that much".

And there’s already evidence to that here is this thread. People say they are bummed about this issue but will just have to settle doing something else.

What should really happen is fixing this issue ASAP and extending the Halloween Event for each day that it takes to fix. Or retro actively rewarding players their Mastery XP. You might hold HoT content in a higher regard, but since this is XP we aren’t getting towards Masteries, and Masteries are HoT content, that now makes this a HoT problem, not a Halloween problem.

Please fix this now.

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Gaile I just wanted to point out that since this announcement has been made I have not seen one commander tag in the labyrinth (I was able to run around a little bit last night with a commander before I realized I wasn’t gaining any xp)

At this point unless you already got the doors and the big legendary mobs done, you’re not going to complete the meta, there’s just so few people actually doing the labyrinth, and I’m talking primetime on a Friday night

You might as well cancel halloween at this point if it’s not going to be fixed. Fixing it sooner rather than later and then extending the event would actually get people doing it.

Leaving it for “next time” means people just won’t do it.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

You can still use Labyrinth to level alts at least, since they cannot help your masteries anyhow. I went in with my Revenant only to get all the achieves then left again… I need to grind out all my HP for reaper now (especially when those bat shoulders are basically upwards of 1000g of materials apparently).

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Halloween Event Info

Posted by: Mictla.3058

Mictla.3058

While on the subject is there something wrong with The Bloody Prince’s Toy Chest. None of the skins are unlocked or am I just missing something.