Halloween Vendor? Suggestion Added

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

I haven’t seen an announcement on this, so if anyone else has a post would be appreciated.

If no announcement has been made, perhaps a Dev would like to clarify as I’m sure if he vanishes tomorrow without notification, lots of players will be unhappy.

(edited by Daroon.1736)

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

Anyone know or could point me to confirmation that the Halloween Vendor will stick around after tomorrow? or should I get opening all my ToT bags now?

Thanks

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Good question. I’d like to continue trading candy corn for cobs for later use throughout the year if nothing else.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Some stuff will still be available from http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sonder_the_Seller, though expect the other vendor to vanish like usual.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I expect everything to vanish tomorrow with the new patch. I don’t understand why they do this. I’ve been caught without having turned in all my stuff a few times because Real Life conflicts. I HATE that they don’t just leave the vendors.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

Its not “after” tomorrow. Sometime tomorrow afternoon they will introduce the new patch. At that point the vendors will disappear. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sonder_the_Seller was there before Halloween so he will most likely remain.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Good question. I’d like to continue trading candy corn for cobs for later use throughout the year if nothing else.

I’m pretty sure Sonder the Seller has been doing candy corn cobs during the year.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Daroon.1736

I’m pretty sure Sonder the Seller has been doing candy corn cobs during the year.

I realise that he is permanent – it’s the other one I am referring to.

Even when announcements are made beforehand, lots of players still get upset when event vendors vanish and on this occasion it would appear no information has been passed on to players thus far.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

That’s very true but I was replying to Astral Projections since I had some possible help for his particular want.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Astral Projections.7320

That’s very true but I was replying to Astral Projections since I had some possible help for his particular want.

Yes. Thank you. I had forgotten that Sonder the Seller sold the cobs (and the 20 slot buckets).

Astral Projections.7320

If you want anything that only the Halloween seller has then you better open them before the next update.

Posted by: Cavalier.9064

Cavalier.9064

I’ve been telling folks to be safe rather than sorry and do what they need to do now before the event ends, but in all likelihood, Sonder the Seller will probably be updated either tomorrow or in the very near future to include those items he currently does not sell, i.e. those items available exclusively for this year’s Halloween event.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

IIRC, Sonder sold the pails and Mini Prince for more than the current vendor, before the festival. Just fyi. I expect the prices for anything new added to Sonder’s stock to cost more after the festival ends.

Posted by: Mizenhauer.6713

Mizenhauer.6713

Do we think the pail price will remain the same? I’m not sure what to do about my candy corn orders. I’d let the order ride if the prices will remain the same. Otherwise I’ll just cancel them tonight. The pail went down this year, is that true? Or did the conversion rate for corn to cobs change?

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

As a general rule event vendors are removed when the event ends.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

‘Would disappear without notification’

That’s a very american way of thinking.

‘I wonder if santa clause is gonna go away when christmas ends’
‘Will the easter bunny stay after easter?’

get it?

wait, what does that have to do with being an American? Anyone can think stupid like that.

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

I realise that he is permanent – it’s the other one I am referring to.

Even when announcements are made beforehand, lots of players still get upset when event vendors vanish and on this occasion it would appear no information has been passed on to players thus far.

I would not take anything as being permanent the way the game is going.

They like to mess with us every time there’s a patch nowadays.

Bellizare.5816

get it?

wait, what does that have to do with being an American? Anyone can think stupid like that.

Santa and the Easter bunny are Americans.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I always figured the NPCs were already staying over a bit, since they don’t depart until November 4th. That’s a +4 to Halloween, giving us a bit of extra time to complete our transactions. As much as I love Halloween, I think part of its appeal is the limited time that the whole event, including the NPC crew, is around.

Basically, having a bunch of NPCs with jack-o-lanterns and candy corns over their heads in April or July might be a little odd.

Oh really? Seems rather international to me, with origins in Scandinavia. And hey, the North Pole isn’t located in the U.S.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Bellizare.5816

I always figured the NPCs were already staying over a bit, since they don’t depart until November 4th. That’s a +4 to Halloween, giving us a bit of extra time to complete our transactions. As much as I love Halloween, I think part of its appeal is the limited time that the whole event, including the NPC crew, is around.

Basically, having a bunch of NPCs with jack-o-lanterns and candy corns over their heads in April or July might be a little odd.

Oh really? Seems rather international to me, with origins in Scandinavia. And hey, the North Pole isn’t located in the U.S.

They are naturalized citizens.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

So long story short, better visit the vendors and buy what you want before tomorrow.

I have a feeling that Sonders will still hang around though, since otherwise we’d have no sinks to get rid of the candy corn and other Halloween mats we can continue to accumulate via Maize Balm farming or just opening ToT bags.

Daroon.1736

I agree and thank you for the clarification – I’m sure however that you have dealt with enough of these events to know that even when a clear notification that a vendor is departing has been made on the forums, some players will still complain – after all, not every player does (or IMHO, should be forced to) read forums.

Could I suggest that a solution going forward, would be to have the vendors themselves announcing their departure in game? A few lines of spoken dialogue activated a few days before they depart, informing players that they will be moving on soon would not only add an element of immersion but negate the need for out of game announcements and the inevitable spate of ‘Is vendor X staying/going’ posts that occur near the end of every event.

Bellizare.5816

So long story short, better visit the vendors and buy what you want before tomorrow.

I have a feeling that Sonders will still hang around though, since otherwise we’d have no sinks to get rid of the candy corn and other Halloween mats we can continue to accumulate via Maize Balm farming or just opening ToT bags.

ToT bags were going for over 6 silver tonight.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

get it?

I take it you’re American :P
But other than the opportunity for some mild joshing, I guess I do agree…

Santa is a very American incarnation of dear old Saint Nic though. Although no Black Peters (ah accidental racism…) or Krampus so that’s a nice change.

Could I suggest that a solution going forward, would be to have the vendors themselves announcing their departure in game? A few lines of spoken dialogue activated a few days before they depart, informing players that they will be moving on soon would not only add an element of immersion but negate the need for out of game announcements and the inevitable spate of ‘Is vendor X staying/going’ posts that occur near the end of every event.

Or a very clear, capitalized and bold-ed message on the launcher might work. But no solution is particularly fool proof.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

The exploit would not be that profitable if it were year round?.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Do we think the pail price will remain the same? I’m not sure what to do about my candy corn orders. I’d let the order ride if the prices will remain the same. Otherwise I’ll just cancel them tonight. The pail went down this year, is that true? Or did the conversion rate for corn to cobs change?

I checked the wiki history pages for prices of the Mini Prince Thorn and Halloween Pails, and the price definitely went way down for the event. Before the Halloween release, Mini Prince was 20 cobs, and the pail was 15. Currently, they sit at 6 and 3, respectively. Will they revert? Only ANet knows for sure.

Edit: Conversion rate for candy corn to cobs has remained the same, throughout.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

While Sonder still traded candy corn for cobs, he didnt offer the refined nougat/skulls/fangs for trade between halloween.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Aight let’s go there. ;D

While the holiday is actually days past, the festivities and the associated farm ended officially this morning, for you Seattle people, and unofficially for several players whenever they put their weary heads to rest after a long session of treating ghoulies like piñatas and knocking candy out of them. Some people stay up waaay past their bedtimes and forget that wrapping up after the festivities (checking the merchants, the tradepost, last minute crafting, opening bags, turning in skritt shinies, trying to knockout the last few daily achievements, jumping over to that last world boss because your guildie friend is more insane or in a different time zone, etc.) is going to take more time than their bodies are going to allow. So they decide to put it off until they get back in the next day, hoping that the vendors will still be around.

This could happen the night before the update. This could happen 5 days before the update, if player just doesn’t get time to come back. Either way, if they return even 3 minutes after the update, and the vendor has packed up for the year, the accumulated goodies that they spent so long trying to earn might now be just so much worthless trash, possibly without a use or even a lowball vendor value so you can claim a regretful handful of coppers (hello, Scarlet key fragments). But players will retain these items because they have the expectation that something will be done to make this inventory clutter worth something. This make playing difficult, since a full pack requires a ridiculous amount of salvaging to keep gold/materials flowing. In short, this blows.

You can argue that players should be more mindful of history and the time limit. This is true. More often than not, the vendors DO disappear after the festivities are done. But this wasn’t always the case. In GW1, many of the associated vendors would remain for 4-5 days after the event to provide a last-chance opportunity to offload your gains for something worth your while.

I don’t think players would demand that the Mad King’s personal merch outlet remain available through Christmas; the following Thursday after the update should be good enough for everyone to get their cobs traded in. In any case, make sure that there is an EXPLICIT note in one of the patch notes announcing exactly when the merchants would be closing up shop for good.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

get it?

No, evidently you don’t get it.

We’re not talking about the Great Pumpkin.
We’re talking about the vendor to turn in the cobs, nougats, fangs and skulls. We’re tangentially talking about the greedy skritt wanting shiny foil for ridiculously cool weapons. King Thorn and his sneering waif can go home

Djinn.9245

You think it is somehow a good thing that the vendors disappear? Why? Seriously, what is the advantage for Anet for having the vendors disappear vs all the players who get stuck with Festival items because they couldn’t login before the vendors disappeared?

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Hm, I wonder why Sonder exchanges candy-corn, zaitaffy and fortune scraps and no nougats, fangs and skulls? It would be great to get at least the upgraded version from those “normal” items somehow.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Huh.. silly answer is just silly… you moved other items to the vendor in the plaza.. ie candy corn cob exchanges.. why couldn’t you do the same for other Halloween items/exchanges?

ANET decided to keep the Halloween event +4 days not the players… by keeping +4 days and keeping the events etc open until the very last second before restart meant some players were still gathering materials that may of needed refining, not to mention not everyone revolves real life around GW2 as much as you might hope we do. Therefore many player simply couldn’t log in this week and are now stuck with masses of items they cant refine and cant store effeciantly… admit it, it was missed!

So tell us ..how do players now refine things like Chattering Skulls, Fangs, Nougat?.. the refined versions of which are required for forge recipes if I am not mistaken… it makes no sense to of closed such things off when cobs etc are still available..

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Bellizare.5816

Other games that I played kept special event vendors around for weeks (and occasionally permanently) after the events ended.

No idea what harm there is in that.

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Same policy every event same QQ every event. If you don’t plan ahead it is YOUR bad.

Not all of us can log in every day and, for those of us with kids, this time of year is guaranteed to be no-gaming time. Perhaps going forward, in the email that announces the event, they could just be specific. Or is it too much to ask that 5 or 6 words be added to an automated email?

Also, I’m not 100% sure, but at some point in the past, the vendors stuck around for a week or so. I seem to remember my first Wintersday going to a vendor after the event ended and we got back from vacation.

edit: Sonder still has Cobs, Thorn (6 cobs), and Pails (3 cobs)

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: jway.8293

jway.8293

It’s not the first time the vendors or event disappears without proper announcement (players need to be better informed!!), leaving frustrating players behind with un-traded holiday/event items.

1.) Not everyone reads gw2 forum!
2.) Not everyone reads the message in the game-launcher!

In my opinion, a better way is to eventually integrate all information INTO the game rather than scattering much information all over the place (in-game, forum, launcher, you name it…); it feels very disorganized especially with such information related to in-game events – if it’s in-game related events, players should be informed in-game.

Suggestions:
1.) Inform players through in-game mailing system
2.) Inform players through User Interface on the top right corner
3.) Inform players through the achievement window (ex. on the Halloween achievement window, it should show the time remaining, just like the monthly achievement)

When I play the game, I just want to play game itself and not having to go scavenger hunt for important information elsewhere.

(edited by jway.8293)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I’m curious if Sondor will be updated to accept nougats/skulls/teeth given we now have a year-round source for said items (from the maize balm recipe).

If not at least we can vendor them, unlike certain blade shards.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

People with with the various crafting recipes will still demand some corn, teeth, etc. But I don’t think there is any use for the cobs after the vendor goes.

Posted by: fizban.1852

fizban.1852

I’m curious if Sondor will be updated to accept nougats/skulls/teeth given we now have a year-round source for said items (from the maize balm recipe).

While I definitely support the concept of limited-duration rewards, such as the recipes and all that, I find that (as Pandaman states here) the nougats, skulls, and fangs should definitely be added back into Sonder’s repertoire of exchangeable goods (for their higher quality versions at least). I find that I don’t actually want to use my Maize Balm now simply because I don’t want my bank to overflow with items that can’t be condensed.

Toaster from the start.

Posted by: Frank.7452

Frank.7452

This is really unfortunate. After seeing the vendors continue to sell items from the festival, it seemed reasonable that the developers were rolling up all holiday related vendors into the central area at Lion’s Arch to prevent players from being disappointed when a patch arrives while they are unable to play for a few weeks.

I understand cutting off the supply of an item that is used to purchase holiday items, but it seems unusual to cut off the sales of those things as well, especially when I can still trade in Festival Tokens.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The Festival Token vendor actually disappeared after the Cliffs went away. The NPC just got put back in after players complained how they missed the end date announcement for whatever reason and now had tokens they couldn’t turn in.

Surprised ANet didn’t pick up the hint after that incident. I really see no harm in having a special vendor remain to take festival-related stuff all year round.

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

While I definitely support the concept of limited-duration rewards, such as the recipes and all that, I find that (as Pandaman states here) the nougats, skulls, and fangs should definitely be added back into Sonder’s repertoire of exchangeable goods (for their higher quality versions at least). I find that I don’t actually want to use my Maize Balm now simply because I don’t want my bank to overflow with items that can’t be condensed.

I completely agree with the idea of keeping cobs, nougats, skulls, and fangs tradeable for their upgraded counterparts, Gaile. I also agree with you, when you say those holiday specific vendors shouldn’t stick around.

True, I’m sitting on a bunch of these things and I like to upgrade and I wasn’t able to due to RL stuff. Now, we have the maize balm we can craft through recipe potentially allowing us to get more ToT bags. It would then seem logical to allow players to upgrade those components if they so choose to continue to farm those bags.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Make an NPC with;

• Special festival icon that includes pumpkin, dragon, snowflake & stuff
  • Has a nice and truly magical little shop exhabition.
  • Stands somewhere special.
Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Krysin.7103

Krysin.7103

Agree with the comments here, i got called into a 12hour shift and returned to find the event finished, which i was fine with until i realized they hadn’t left any npc at all to trade most of the event items into after the event ended! Im now left with two full bank slots of skulls nougat etc unrefined, didnt end up being able to buy half the recipes etc with corn cobs that id wanted, plus it seems im stuck with a lot of cobs that are now relatively useless on top of it =(
Why werent these items all added to the npc that has the previous events items in LA?

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Awww. I thought they’d leave the vendor in somewhere for an extra patch cycle of two weeks like they sometimes do. Can there be a stale candy corn vendor? Candy corn gets better with age!

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I don’t think players would demand that the Mad King’s personal merch outlet remain available through Christmas; the following Thursday after the update should be good enough for everyone to get their cobs traded in. In any case, make sure that there is an EXPLICIT note in one of the patch notes announcing exactly when the merchants would be closing up shop for good.

Why bother when GW2 players have mental telepathy that read the dev’s minds.

Oh wait.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

After starting this thread as I was going to be at work the majority of the day I only managed to open half my bags and buy from the vendor – and the Festival was over when I got home.

How hard would it be for Festivals to actually end at a SPECIFIC time? Halloween started at 11.40 pm GMT yet in ended sometime around 6 pm GMT – would it be so hard to NOT tie the end of the festival to the new patch? or you know leave the Vendor for 48 hours?

THATS what I find annoying – there is no way atall to plan and anticipate – I now have a kitten load of candy corn and only half the items I wanted bought…