Halloween and the Witch's Hat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ranulf.9285

Ranulf.9285

Now, I bring this up because I’m /hoping/ we’ll be given the chance to acquire the Witch Hat from the first year’s Halloween Event.

Why? Because I feel it’d be nice to give those of us who /got/ the hat back when it was first released, but wound up losing it through one way or another, a chance to snag it again, as now with the April Feature Pack it’s possible to use that skin with armor.

Of course, back then none of us could possibly know about that, so some of us didn’t treat the hat as well as we would’ve and some people(including me) either got rid of it or lost it somehow(In my case I forgot it was on a character that I deleted).

I know all about items having this historical value and it proves how long someone’s been playing and blah blah blah, but I really think it’d be neat to make an exception in this instance. Whadd’ya say, Anet?

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

Yea, I lost mine as well. I don’t even remember how.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree. Given that the functionality has been changed, and it’s now possible to make it a permanent addition to your account it would make sense to give players a chance to get it back.

Same goes for the year 1 Halloween minis, for the same reasons.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I know I had it, but yeah, dont remember how I lost it.

Heck, they allowed ls1 to get everything at the end if you missed, might as well do it for Halloween this one year with the wardrobe. (Note I say JUST this year. Afterwards, too bad. )

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I don’t know if it’s coming, and it’s probably a really late request for this year’s Halloween event. I do see your point, though. I’d be devastated if I lost my hats! (Old GW players positively cherish their headgear after all!)

If it doesn’t come to pass for this event, why not make a suggestion post after the event, with [Suggestion] in the title? It can’t hurt to get your thoughts on the radar, eh?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

While you’re on the subject of hats, give our toons HAIR with the hats please.

This has been mentioned so many times since the game began even with the [Celebration Cap]. Unless you created a bald character, you’ll feel something is amiss with the lack of hair, which is very noticeable.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

This has been mentioned so many times since the game began even with the [Celebration Cap]. Unless you created a bald character, you’ll feel something is amiss with the lack of hair, which is very noticeable.

While that is simple in some ways, in others its really complicated. The complicated part is that hair and hats are currently the same thing so far as the game is concerned, and getting the game to recognize them as a different items at this point is no small task. However, once you get that fixed, hats and hair could just be two different geometric object placed at separate distances from the animation bones in the head. If hair and hats are separated in such a way that the game can alter one based on the other, we could even get hats which can be worn in a way that fits your chosen hairstyle.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

While that is simple in some ways, in others its really complicated. The complicated part is that hair and hats are currently the same thing so far as the game is concerned, and getting the game to recognize them as a different items at this point is no small task. However, once you get that fixed, hats and hair could just be two different geometric object placed at separate distances from the animation bones in the head. If hair and hats are separated in such a way that the game can alter one based on the other, we could even get hats which can be worn in a way that fits your chosen hairstyle.

Another, possibly easier answer is, just have the hair be part of the hat.
While this might not be seen as an optimal solution (since everyone would only get one kind of hairstyle while they wear the hat) it would be better then ending up with no hair at all. And, quite possibly a lot simpler to make too.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I hope it wont come back. I like exclusivity.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Wait – you mean the Ghastly Grinning Witch’s Hat?

You will NEVER see it back, but because were nice, we’d let you buy it on TP for 13,998,437,331,890 gold. Now how does that make you feel?

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

^ I would sell my body to science if you make the same deal for the Wintersday minis (I NEED FOOSTIVOO!!!)

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

Posted by: Aeon.4127

Aeon.4127

Though I agree with you on this 100% I have to say its nice having exclusivity AFTER the wardrobe update. I fit with everyone else here asking for the hat back and other things such as the minis from the 1st crhistmas event. Its things like this we had NO idea were gonna be worked on let alone so far into the game. once the wardrobe was implented if you are looking for exclusivity from that point on I would have little to nothing to say. Anet please give us players who have been playing since day 1 a chance to obtain the items we deleted before the wardrobe due to storage space!

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

While this might not be seen as an optimal solution (since everyone would only get one kind of hairstyle while they wear the hat) it would be better then ending up with no hair at all. And, quite possibly a lot simpler to make too.

I think thats a great idea , cause witches should have a scraggly grey hair style right?

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Though I agree with you on this 100% I have to say its nice having exclusivity AFTER the wardrobe update. I fit with everyone else here asking for the hat back and other things such as the minis from the 1st crhistmas event. Its things like this we had NO idea were gonna be worked on let alone so far into the game. once the wardrobe was implented if you are looking for exclusivity from that point on I would have little to nothing to say. Anet please give us players who have been playing since day 1 a chance to obtain the items we deleted before the wardrobe due to storage space!

This ^^ so much, is the reasoning behind bringing it back once.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Just attach a hair style to the hat. A ‘hair tucked under the hat’ look in a preset color is far better than the current ‘bald person with hat’ look.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I also dont agree with bringing the Christmas 2012 minis back unless its in the same RNG chests I had to go through to complete my mini collection. Had to buy around 7000-8000 gems to finnally get the set. I would be disgusted to see it for 500 gems or so as a fixed set in the shop.
Dont forget you could collect all this stuff before wardrobe. Minis had slots in the bank and costumes had slots, too. If those were full there were banks

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Lady Elvea.2847

Lady Elvea.2847

Just attach a hair style to the hat. A ‘hair tucked under the hat’ look in a preset color is far better than the current ‘bald person with hat’ look.

This is essentially what they ended up doing in GW1 after a while with new party hats they added. It always still felt “wrong” to me, since ultimately my character would end up with a completely different haircut/colour, and not one I’d necessary felt suited them. It didn’t really work for me as a solution.

I’m honestly a little disappointed that they’re back to square one on this issue in GW2 with their headgear, although I suspect that combining hair and headgear was simply too time-consuming to implement properly even in the new engine. After all, after GW1 it could have reasonably been foreseen that players wanted it, so I think it’s implementation issues rather than design oversights.

Back on topic: sure, I’m okay with giving players the opportunity to getting (back) a hat from a previous festival. The unique little snowflake argument never made much sense to me, since it concerns a piece of gear that was widely and rather easily available during a previous festival. It’s hardly special if (tens of?) thousands of other players also got their hands on it, and without too much effort. Put it behind a small scavenger hunt, or heck, even a small fee (no more than 150 gems) in the gem store, just… make it available.

GW2 already has an overabundance of special, hard or nearly impossible to obtain weapon/armour skins. I don’t think we need to add every single festival skin, ever, to that list.

Posted by: Aeon.4127

Aeon.4127

[/quote] Malediktus.9250
I also dont agree with bringing the Christmas 2012 minis back unless its in the same RNG chests I had to go through to complete my mini collection. Had to buy around 7000-8000 gems to finnally get the set. I would be disgusted to see it for 500 gems or so as a fixed set in the shop.
Dont forget you could collect all this stuff before wardrobe. Minis had slots in the bank and costumes had slots, too. If those were full there were banks[/quote]

I would want no less than to keep the same RNG, and same can be said about scavenger hunt and people whom already own Legendaries, its not fair to give something at a much easier to obtain way the second time around compared to the first. But even so, if they brout them back I no for sure me and others included would play the RNG game to obtain those minis now that they are wardrobe worthy.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I think thats a great idea , cause witches should have a scraggly grey hair style right?

As opposed to having no hair at all, right?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

i lost my GW2 trucker hat after the wardrobe….. =\

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

i lost my GW2 trucker hat after the wardrobe….. =\

Contact support, I had something happen with my devil horns from the first halloween and they replaced them for me.

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

As opposed to having no hair at all, right?

Yeah better than no hair at all.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This is essentially what they ended up doing in GW1 after a while with new party hats they added. It always still felt “wrong” to me, since ultimately my character would end up with a completely different haircut/colour, and not one I’d necessary felt suited them. It didn’t really work for me as a solution.

I’m honestly a little disappointed that they’re back to square one on this issue in GW2 with their headgear, although I suspect that combining hair and headgear was simply too time-consuming to implement properly even in the new engine. After all, after GW1 it could have reasonably been foreseen that players wanted it, so I think it’s implementation issues rather than design oversights.

Snip

Yeah, it’s not the best option. Obviously the best option is you have the hat on top of the hairstyle and color you chose for that char. But if that’s not possible, for whatever reason, and the possible choices are either ‘hat on bald woman/man’ or ‘hat with hair tucked in’, then imo ‘hat with hair tucked in’ is far superior.

Posted by: Ranulf.9285

Ranulf.9285

I don’t know if it’s coming, and it’s probably a really late request for this year’s Halloween event. I do see your point, though. I’d be devastated if I lost my hats! (Old GW players positively cherish their headgear after all!)

If it doesn’t come to pass for this event, why not make a suggestion post after the event, with [Suggestion] in the title? It can’t hurt to get your thoughts on the radar, eh?

I should’ve done that to start with, hah.
I’ll keep my fingers crossed for this year’s event, but if it’s no go I’ll definitely do what you suggest. Thanks for the reply!

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

I missed the horns cuz of sandy

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]