Halloween for veteran players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

Let me be honest here and say that I’ve been playing since the beta and have been a regular player throughout (well, I did take a 3 month break after the release of that terrible karaka/Fractals patch in 2012.) That being said, I haven’t logged in hardly at all since the last Living Story mission.

I thought I’d have a reason to come back for a bit for Halloween but it is the EXACT SAME AS LAST YEAR! So that’s pointless. Apparently the same can be said for Winter’s Day.

So normally I’d level an alt during the down time but thanks to the HORRIBLE changes to leveling what’s the point? I don’t want to deal with a butchered Personal Story and level locked crap.

So whats with the lack of content? What are all your devs doing huh? You can’t be running low on funds since you’re pushing the gem store harder than ever. Speaking of which, I haven’t bought anything from the gem store in forever since I haven’t played in forever. Why would I?

Side Note: How does repeating Halloween from last year fit with your whole living story vibe? I mean, we already know who the Bloody Prince is but it’s like we’re just being introduced to him for the first time all over again WTF? And yet you say that the ultra popular Super Adventure Box doesn’t fit with the Livings Story. What a joke. Get your crap together Anet. Your management has NO IDEA what they are doing. You’re running a great game straight into the ground!

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

Halloween & Wintersday are just seasonal events…nothing to do with LS at all.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No matter what’s going on in my life, Christmas always comes on December 25th. Doesn’t matter if there’s a death in the family or a car accident or I got a raise or I fought off muggers. Christmas always comes.

Ever year, Christmas is pretty much the same. Some food. Same traditions. Same stupid family jokes. Every year.

Not sure why you think holiday events would be new every year. That’s said, they could have advanced the storyline. I’m guessing that because it is a story line and because there are probably as many new players as vets right now, they decided to replay it. Just a guess though.

Most games replay holiday events.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

i’ve been on since launch and i can’t say i’m invested so much in the halloween, wintersday festivals.. but i do show up and at least try out most of the things.. i completely skipped last years halloween because, to be quite honest i was tired of living story and also “oh, there’s a mad prince now?” ok whatever.. but after playing the intro this year i can say it was fairly entertaining..

trying for a general response based on the topic here.. playing the game since launch, i think arena net is fully capable of delivering acceptable content on a fair schedule.. i do however think their agenda skips right past common sense mmorpg decision making a lot of the time and it has led to some very, very sour implementations..

this past year alone i’ve seen them really commandeer and play to their strengths to make a better product.. yet, in between all of that i’ve witnessed some extreme absurdities.. if someone asked me today, i honestly couldn’t tell them if this game was going to sink or swim

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I share your sentiment, good sir…. only I have been playing the game, unlike you.

I was anxiously awaiting halloween, since there is a distinct lack of things in the game that do not qualify as busy work/chores….

and what do we get?

A copy/paste halloween whose only replay value from last year is to earn more ap.

This “AP” might as well be a list of chores to do….. a list of chores that we have already done.

They didn’t even add a tier two to the master carver title…. the way they did with “acclaimed achiever” or the “loyal” titles. …so you just earn the same title you’ve had since ages ago.

Giving players recycled busy work to do =/= content.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

i disagree, how engaging is the recycled busy work?
to put your halloween gripe into perspective, this game has a bit of an elder dragon theme and dragon bash was canceled entirely.. i would have appreciated a small amount of content.. dragon’s reach was well done though, so as much as i would like to play a game that delivers all things within reason, this is one of the few times i’ll say ‘maybe you should be happy with what there is and hold your criticisms until thanksgiving’

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Barabbas.8715

Dragon Bash is another good point. It’s kittened that it was cancelled. Dragon Ball was one of the best mini-games in the game.

When you incorporate a story that progressed from 2012 to 2013, then in 2014 it just repeated itself it makes no sense! Anet said SAB was gone because it didn’t fit the LS and yet here we have the Bloody Prince introduced to us for the “first time” again, like I said, it makes no logical sense.

Vayne.8563

Dragon Bash is another good point. It’s kittened that it was cancelled. Dragon Ball was one of the best mini-games in the game.

When you incorporate a story that progressed from 2012 to 2013, then in 2014 it just repeated itself it makes no sense! Anet said SAB was gone because it didn’t fit the LS and yet here we have the Bloody Prince introduced to us for the “first time” again, like I said, it makes no logical sense.

It makes no sense unless, I don’t know, there are a million new players in China who never saw the beginning of the story?

For all we know this game now has more new players than veterans. In fact, I think it’s likely. Which means it makes sense to help people catch up on stories.

Barabbas.8715

It makes no sense unless, I don’t know, there are a million new players in China who never saw the beginning of the story?

For all we know this game now has more new players than veterans. In fact, I think it’s likely. Which means it makes sense to help people catch up on stories.

I don’t care about China. And as for new players sure, let’s just redo the entire Scarlet story arc for their benefit if that’s what you want. Your argument makes no logical sense.

Vayne.8563

I don’t care about China. And as for new players sure, let’s just redo the entire Scarlet story arc for their benefit if that’s what you want. Your argument makes no logical sense.

Are you really comparing a repeating holiday event that lasts two weeks, with a story arc that spanned 1.5 years? Really?

First if all, it doesn’t matter if you care about China or not. It’s not relevant at all. If I don’t own a car I may not care about roads, but roads are still going to get fixed.

And it’s not just China. There have been a couple of sales lately with new people coming on board. There are people who have taken breaks and missed it. There are even people who were here and didn’t participate for one reason or another.

I’m saying all up there might be more new players that vets in the game, and all up that means it makes sense to do it.

And in every single thread that complained about it being the same, there are people who are happy with it even being repeated who were here last year.

I’m sure there is a percentage of people unhappy with the repetition, but I’m relatively sure it’s a pretty small percentage of the playerbase.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Hey, if it meant the Marionette and Breachmaker fights came back, I’d be all for that.

On a more serious note, it’s because Halloween isn’t tied at all with the living world, but rather a real-life annual event. Repeating last year’s story is just fine because there isn’t much reason to advance the story. Living World, though, should not be repeated, as that would lose the whole “living” part. Repeating the story makes it lose a lot of what made it great the first time around; the fact the world is changing around you.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

You can’t be running low on funds since you’re pushing the gem store harder than ever.

Speaking of which, I haven’t bought anything from the gem store in forever since I haven’t played in forever. Why would I?

Next mystery of the world? Perhaps the Loch Ness Monster next? Cowlicks?

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

Anet actually does want to do redo season 1 with journal system. Oh and your not caring means nothing and I don’t know want didn’t make sense to you… Players not wanting to be thrust into a story they don’t know about?

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

No matter what’s going on in my life, Christmas always comes on December 25th. Doesn’t matter if there’s a death in the family or a car accident or I got a raise or I fought off muggers. Christmas always comes.

Ever year, Christmas is pretty much the same. Some food. Same traditions. Same stupid family jokes. Every year.

Not sure why you think holiday events would be new every year. That’s said, they could have advanced the storyline. I’m guessing that because it is a story line and because there are probably as many new players as vets right now, they decided to replay it. Just a guess though.

What a silly argument to make. It’s a game that we invest in with our money. Not a real holiday event which all mean different things to different people.

And it doesn’t have to be 100% new every year but come on, they reused the exact same title from previous years.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They still haven’t, right? That was the 2012 event.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

What a silly argument to make. It’s a game that we invest in with our money. Not a real holiday event which all mean different things to different people.

And it doesn’t have to be 100% new every year but come on, they reused the exact same title from previous years.

i invest far more time/money in RL holiday than the virtual one in this game.

that said, this year, advancing the bloody prince story would have made sense. that’s really all they had to do. the actual events could stay the same. just add a few new instances to advance the story.

they added pretty cool new rewards and increased the loot table/drop rate for MK labyrinth to the point its the best open-world farm possible (and players seem better/much more informed on how to kill the bosses this year compared to last). its so good, i don’t really even care that much that the content is completely recycled.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

Vayne.8563

If future installments are important for new players to understand the original stuff, it’s almost obligatory that they catch up China and the new players playing the game. You can say it’s a silly argument, but it doesn’t make the argument silly.

It’s only silly if you think that most players are sitting there waiting for the new halloween story or even remember the old one. There are players in my guild who played last year who don’t even remember what happened.

It’s not like this stuff comes out every day.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If future installments are important for new players to understand the original stuff, it’s almost obligatory that they catch up China and the new players playing the game.

In that case, they have already failed, unless they plan on having no new players in 2015 (and China, as i mentioned before, started in the middle of the story anyway).
If they were not intending to have each new halloween continue from the point where last one left out, then perhaps they should have designed the fluff for the event to fit the repeatable design, instead of making it of the one-time variety.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Living Story continuation is on November 4th, and they’re being pretty silent aboout what’s involved, so I’d say save your judgement until the 4th

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

If future installments are important for new players to understand the original stuff, it’s almost obligatory that they catch up China and the new players playing the game. You can say it’s a silly argument, but it doesn’t make the argument silly.

It’s only silly if you think that most players are sitting there waiting for the new halloween story or even remember the old one. There are players in my guild who played last year who don’t even remember what happened.

You misunderstand me. It’s silly to draw comparisons to real life things and things that happen in a video game.

As for china, who cares? I thought they were starting from season 1 living story anyways?

Why does it matter what they do/don’t have? It’s not like we’re playing the same version of the game on the same servers.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Agreeing with the disappointment of the copy paste. Makes the game feel cheaper and doesnt fit with the goal to have the world permanently change and progress.

Vayne.8563

You misunderstand me. It’s silly to draw comparisons to real life things and things that happen in a video game.

As for china, who cares? I thought they were starting from season 1 living story anyways?

Why does it matter what they do/don’t have? It’s not like we’re playing the same version of the game on the same servers.

They couldn’t replay an entire year and a half of living story. But they can replay a Halloween event. It really is that simple.

Holidays are independent from the Living Story.

Barabbas.8715

Anet actually does want to do redo season 1 with journal system. Oh and your not caring means nothing and I don’t know want didn’t make sense to you… Players not wanting to be thrust into a story they don’t know about?

If you’re going to have a living world then you’re just going to have to get over the fact that new players will come in during the middle of story arcs, that’s just the way it is.

Also your reasoning that China is the reason the Blood and Madness storyline was repeated makes no sense. If that’s the case then why not start back over with the 2012 Halloween? Why not redo LS Season 1? Why not have had Dragon Bash over the summer since it is mentioned during the Blood and Madness dialogue?

You can’t have a living changing world and then turn around and repeat stuff just to try and catch people up, it just doesn’t work. End of story.

The fact of the matter is that the Bloody Prince/Mad King storyline should have been advanced this yearn, not repeated. It would have taken only a few instances to do so, about the same amount of effort that goes into a LS biweekly update. There is really no excuse for this.

GW2 has given me no reason to play the game for the past 3 (going on 4) months and the way Halloween was done this year once again gives me no reason to play the game.