Handling of Ascended Weapons was Atrocious

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

“Play how you want”

“Equal playing field for all”

“No grind”

Ya right… There is only 1 reliable way to obtain ascended weapons… Crafting? Why… name a single game were end game gear is obtainable only through crafting. Not only that but you decided to go ahead and add 100 crafting levels, BUT were too lazy to add 425/475 recipes resulting in forcing people to use 400/450 recipes to level, making it cost so much that the majority of players will never earn that much. How much? The cheapest is just around 200g for ONE profession. Source: http://gw2crafts.net/weaponcraft_400.html

Not a single thing this patch addressed the major problem with crafting… the fact that you cannot in any way shape or form make money from any crafting prof, before it was just a means for rich players to level an alt to 80 in a day, now its just a means to grind for ascended gear.

Why were fractals completed ignored? Now we have 55 AR max but you were too lazy to remove the 50 cap (which was stupid in the first place, i cant even think of a logical answer for putting the 50 cap on fractals). Asceneded weapons could of cost 15-25 relics, giving people who like somewhat challenging PvE content a way to acquire asc weapons.

WvWvW? How about making ascended weapons purchasable via badges?

I mean this game pretty much became P2W/G2W after this patch, you can whine and say its only a 5%/10% increase, but its still goes completely against the GW philosophy to give rich/lucky/gem buyers a sizable advantage over the general population.

And this is coming from someone with 500 wpn smith / 472 soon to be 500 huntsman.

And before you say “B-But it can drop” realize the chance is somewhere around getting struck by lighting, but not only that you want to get struck by the lighting you want (stats). It’s nothing you would rely on.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Not a single thing this patch addressed the major problem with crafting… the fact that you cannot in any way shape or form make money from any crafting prof, before it was just a means for rich players to level an alt to 80 in a day, now its just a means to grind for ascended gear.

And a gold sink.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Vespirisa.1497

Vespirisa.1497

200g? The amount I spent was no where near that number. I just refined ori and ancient wood I gathered, made some sharpening stones and crafted a few exotics. I think I spent less than 25. Also the 200g on the website is due to the inflated prices that will eventually drop. oh from 450 I just refined ascended mats I got from champ loot bags.

IoJ→KN→DB→SoR→CD→SoR→TC → SBI
Scrub D/D Ele. What’s server loyalty?

(edited by Vespirisa.1497)

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

They lied.

Ha ha! You spent 50 euros!

No, seriously, they just lied.

Zepidel.5349

200g? The amount I spent was no where near that number. I just refined ori and ancient wood I gathered, made some sharpening stones and crafted a few exotics. I think I spent less than 25. Also the 200g on the website is due to the inflated prices that will eventually drop. oh from 450 I just refined ascended mats I got from champ loot bags.

Yes 200g. You speculated in wood/ore, as did I thankfully. Regardless its 200g.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Collect the stuff yourself and it is significantly less than 200G

Vespirisa.1497

Wrong again. I gathered all the Ori and Wood. Its what I did for my legendary which took about 2 weeks. The routine just stuck and I stockpiled a good number of mats.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

It’s not 200g if you just saved the stuff you salvaged… we’ve known about ascended weapons for a long time, you could have saved your mats, too.

Zepidel.5349

@ everyone saying just farm the mats yourself, how about HOW LONG does it takes I’m pretty sure its over 100 hours of gathering mats… again a massive grind.

I’m backing up my 200g claim with a real source were is yours?

Vespirisa.1497

@ everyone saying just farm the mats yourself, how about HOW LONG does it takes I’m pretty sure its over 100 hours of gathering mats… again a massive grind.

15 minutes max to gather your daily orichalcum and ancient wood. hardly a grind. It’s just like doing a CoF run or doing dailies. As for ectos I just salvage rares I get from world bosses like FE, Golem, kitten, Teq, etc which takes less than 10 minutes each. T6 mats I buy from the money I get from events/dungeons. It’s simple. I havn’t grinded for hours ONCE in this game yet I still have full ascended trinkets and a legendary. I don’t even think about the grind. I play to have fun and soon enough I have everything I need.

Draco.2806

I havn’t grinded for hours ONCE in this game yet I still have full ascended trinkets and a legendary.

…But what you just described is hours upon hours of every day dedicated solely to very meticulous and calculated farming.

Vespirisa.1497

I play to have fun and soon enough I have everything I need.

…But what you just described is hours upon hours of every day dedicated solely to farming.

I don’t play it like I’m farming, I like to explore and champion hunt with a few friends on these maps while gathering everything I need.

Draco.2806

I don’t play it like I’m farming, I like to explore and champion hunt with a few friends on these maps while gathering everything I need.

I’m gonna go with “Hell no” on this one because that’s actually how I tried to play the game, and I barely had 50G to show for it after six months. Specifically hunting down world bosses, high-tier mats and running dungeons is a calculated and time-consuming motion. What you’re describing is farming specifically for the sake of maximizing your gains.

Blix.8021

I havn’t grinded for hours ONCE in this game yet I still have full ascended trinkets and a legendary.

…But what you just described is hours upon hours of every day dedicated solely to very meticulous and calculated farming.

by that logic everything in the game is farming. play wvw – wxp farming, play spvp – glory farming

Draco.2806

by that logic everything in the game is farming. play wvw – wxp farming, play spvp – glory farming

I was talking about how you described specifically hunting down the content worth the “most” in the most efficient way possible every single day and… That’s farming. It just is.

Vespirisa.1497

I’m gonna go with “Hell no” on this one because that’s actually how I tried to play the game, and I barely had 50G to show for it after six months. Specifically hunting down world bosses, high-tier mats and running dungeons is a calculated and time-consuming motion. What you’re describing is farming specifically for the sake of maximizing your gains.

During this living story release(1 month) I have earned almost 200 gold from doing what I want to do. (Although I did do 2-3 invasions a day to get the achievements). Probably half or more of the gold I earned however was from the events/dungeons/finding some champions to kill on random maps.

Vespirisa.1497

I was talking about how you described specifically hunting down the content worth the “most” in the most efficient way possible every single day and… That’s farming. It just is.

I wasn’t doing it the most “efficient” way possible. I did it the most “enjoyable” way. If I did it more “efficiently” I would be done in half the time.

Draco.2806

I’m gonna go with “No” to that one as well.

Unless, of course, what you want to do just happens to coincide with the best-paying farming activities performed for hours every single day. Even then 200G is way too much without a really good prior set-up.

Blix.8021

It is incredibly easy to get 10g a day. Living story is 30 days. That’s 300g just doing living story and some dungeons.

Vespirisa.1497

I’m gonna go with “No” to that one as well.

Unless, of course, what you want to do just happens to coincide with the best-paying farming activities performed for hours every single day. Even then 200G is way too much without a really good prior set-up.

It could be that I play a LOT compared you. I’m on pretty much on all Friday-sunday. I can earn up to 20g but I usually rake in 10-15. 30 X 12.5=375. But I didn’t play everyday.

Draco.2806

It is incredibly easy to get 10g a day.

If you’re willing to spend your day farming, sure.

Personally, I do not appreciate doing a second job in my spare time.

It could be that I play a LOT compared you. I’m on pretty much on all Friday-sunday. I can earn up to 20g but I usually rake in 10-15. 30 X 12.5=375. But I didn’t play everyday.

Could be.

I used to play often at launch. Back when precursors costs no more than 80G. I ended up with 40 G from all my adventures towards 100% world exploration.

Maybe I’m just not accustomed to taking grind for granted, and going for farming instead of going where I want. I’d rather not get accustomed either.

Blix.8021

What is not considered farming to you in pve? Just curious.

Draco.2806

Not following some pre-set goal that results in your earning specific loot or the most amount of gold, is not considered farming, I think.

Blix.8021

Not following some pre-set goal that results in your earning specific loot or specific amount of gold is not considered farming, I think.

What activity in particular is not farming? Because according to you dungeons, world events, and killing champions are all farming.

Vespirisa.1497

It is incredibly easy to get 10g a day.

If you’re willing to spend your day farming, sure.

Personally, I do not appreciate doing a second job in my spare time.

Could be.

I used to play often at launch. Back when precursors costs no more than 80G. I ended up with 40 G from all my adventures towards 100% world exploration.

Maybe I’m just not accustomed to taking grind for granted, and going for farming instead of going where I want. I’d rather not get accustomed either.

I actually spend most of my time goofing off in WvW or running JPs.
I like to run CoF 1,2 and maybe a run of SE =5G
2 invasions or so 1hr 30 min or less = 5-7g (depending how many champs I find)
That is an easy 10G that you can get in less than 3 hours.

Draco.2806

What activity in particular is not farming? Because according to you dungeons, world events, and killing champions are all farming.

You keep missing my point. I don’t know how to make it any clearer, honestly. I think I’ll just drop it if you don’t mind.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

If you collect 200G worth of stuff yourself and use it, then the opportunity cost of leveling crafting was indeed exactly 200G.

Vespirisa.1497

Not following some pre-set goal that results in your earning specific loot or specific amount of gold is not considered farming, I think.

World events I guess may be considered farming but I like to champ HUNT instead of farm. You get MUCH less for that since I’m not on a cycle, I just explore a map and kill what I find.(Btw I do lots of events I pass for fun since I rushed to 80 without experiencing a lot which adds up over time)

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

That’s why I’m becoming a material broker.

Mind you, a couple of people yesterday on my WvW server got lucky with ascended chests.. But yeah. New system sucks. Playing the TP is the best way to earn gold if you’re in WvW. Max your MF, get selling them greens.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

If you collect 200G worth of stuff yourself and use it, then the opportunity cost of leveling crafting was indeed exactly 200G.

There is 15% TP fees.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Unless you plan on buying almost all of your Deldrimore Steel and Spiritwood Planks, using that guide to get level 500 is absolutely pointless. It’s a complete waste of money and materials for something you most likely can’t even use yet. Follow it to 450, then toss it aside unless you want to buy a lot of Deldri Steel and Spiritwood, plus grind t7 Obisidian Refinement mats 24/7.

Rely on Obsidian Refinements (Bloodstone, Dragonite, Empyrean) after level 450. You’re going to need 5 each of the refined versions (500 of the dropped material) before you can make a weapon. You’re also going to need quite a few Deldrimor Steel and Spiritwood, which are once daily crafts and also give you crafting XP toward 500.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Zepidel.5349

Unless you plan on buying almost all of your Deldrimore Steel and Spiritwood Planks, using that guide to get level 500 is absolutely pointless. It’s a complete waste of money and materials for something you most likely can’t even use yet. Follow it to 450, then toss it aside unless you want to buy a lot of Deldri Steel and Spiritwood, plus grind t7 Obisidian Refinement mats 24/7.

Rely on Obsidian Refinements (Bloodstone, Dragonite, Empyrean) after level 450. You’re going to need 5 each of the refined versions (500 of the dropped material) before you can make a weapon. You’re also going to need quite a few Deldrimor Steel and Spiritwood, which are once daily crafts and also give you crafting XP toward 500.

Good idea except refines gives almost no xp past 475, id literally need to farm champs for hundreds of hours and get over 3m karma for obsidian shards to do enough refines for 500.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

It’ll cost a quarter of what it does now in a couple weeks. Getting your ascended crafting to 500 is the latest and greatest thing and tons of money is being thrown at being there first; crafted exotic sell prices fell below 1g each shortly after the patch hit, as material prices exploded to keep up with demand to hit 500 at any cost from the player base.

Exotic prices will recover. A month from now, maybe two, and you’ll be able to craft up to 500 at a profit.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Good idea except refines gives almost no xp past 475, id literally need to farm champs for hundreds of hours and get over 3m karma for obsidian shards to do enough refines for 500.

I figured the XP would drop off a good bit at 475, but using the refinements to get from 450 to 475 is still a significant savings. Even after that, they will continue helping till you reach 500. You’re going to need quite a few obsidian refinements (15 per weapon), so might as well gain that XP and save the exotic discoveries for the final push. As others have mentioned, the prices will drop and you can save even more money. There isn’t really a reason to rush to 500 till you’re ready to craft a weapon, anyway.

Unless you’re planning on buying your way around the mithrillium/spirit residue timegate, hold off and save yourself some gold.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Zepidel.5349

It’ll cost a quarter of what it does now in a couple weeks. Getting your ascended crafting to 500 is the latest and greatest thing and tons of money is being thrown at being there first; crafted exotic sell prices fell below 1g each shortly after the patch hit, as material prices exploded to keep up with demand to hit 500 at any cost from the player base.

Exotic prices will recover. A month from now, maybe two, and you’ll be able to craft up to 500 at a profit.

there is no way you will make a profit crafting to 500, after a month it will still costs around 100g and stay there for a long time, the only things that have risen considerably are wood and ore.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Wrong again. I gathered all the Ori and Wood. Its what I did for my legendary which took about 2 weeks. The routine just stuck and I stockpiled a good number of mats.

Just because you grinded mats during last YEAR doesnt make it any cheaper.

Its 200g in mats.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

my 2 EuroCents on the thing… (and thats just mho)
its grindy and its boring…
I leveled all craftings up to level 400… man was I happy that this thing was off my hood (it is just not funny – most of the stuff you make you destroy anyways – almost nothing you craft is really that useable)

And now I have to get the things to 500? Give me a break!

Crafting is no fun, the mystic toilet is no fun and grinding materials is sucky as hell too…

As soon as the “Next” good sandbox game is out I am so out of here… (see what I did there?)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I’m not sure I’d want to follow money advices from someone that doesn’t understand the notion of Opportunity Cost.

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Hate to say it but save the money and put the effort into a legendary. Sure it is A LOT more work but you end up with an item that looks better, is tier proof (so when T8 hits you don’t have to start over) and can be adjusted stat wise on the fly.

Hopefully they will make it easier to create an ascended weapon eventually but I am not holding my breath nor putting effort into this ridiculously time consuming “job” even if the stat buffs are considerable.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

eisberg.2379

I need to back up my statement with a source about collecting the materials yourself? Kind of a strange request, considering you already know you can buy the materials from the TP from other players, which means they had to get them in the game somehow. Here you go, my source that says the materials are through out the world

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/economy-report-brace-yourself-disequilibrium-is-coming/

So there is my source that says you can collect them materials yourself.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I’ve had an Ascended Weapon Chest drop for me 1 day after the update.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

eisberg.2379

If you collect the stuff while you are doing stuff that is fun, than it cost you nothing. How much you can potentially make by selling the materials are irrelevant, if you are going to use it anyways.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

as i said in TP we are in the hands of people that thinks its fair that cutting a tree rewards more than clearing fotm 79.

Or that flipping the market gives you 6+ legendaries and winning WWW makes you pay for siege weapons….

NERF TP please…..it makes the game more grindy than intended.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

eisberg.2379

I’m not sure I’d want to follow money advices from someone that doesn’t understand the notion of Opportunity Cost.

Opportunity costs are irrelevant if your goal is to get an ascended weapon, and want it as soon as possible and cheap as possible. I am very aware of opportunity costs, but that is a stupid notion to use in a game.

Posted by: youkai.2394

youkai.2394

Well if you buy all the materials at day 1 with inflaction risen to the stars, ofc it costs you 200g. I spent something like 25g to get to 450 and I had them back by solding 2 ascended material (One sold at 14g and the other 8g. Day 1 ofc).

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Handling of all ascended gear is/was atrocious. Sorry, just terrible planning as a whole. If it is needed in the game, whatever. But they released it into fractals only from the start..and player-gated fractals at the start. Could only join fractals of your level. Soon, people are left behind and noone to play with. They addressed, this but this was the first sign of short-sightedness from Anet.

Then, people whined about how fractals were the only place to acquire ascended. So, laurels are introduced and you can get a myriad of ascended gear from there…and you can get gear from laurels that you cannot obtain in fractals(which is backwards since fractals are the only place you need ascended gear).

Now, you need a crapton of materials from farming, champ zerging, etc…
The acquisition of a complete set is ALL OVER the place.

Uniform it:
Instead of requiring the player to burn laurels for ascended, burn ectos for ascended, run fractals for ascended, and farm materials to craft ascended…

Allow ascended gear, not mats, drop from Champs and has a very rare chance of dropping from any other mob. Ascended materials to craft the gear drops from anything. Any piece can drop from fractals.

Allow the actual pieces to drop. Who flippin cares about more currency and materials farming.

Done.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Handling of all ascended gear is/was atrocious. Sorry, just terrible planning as a whole. If it is needed in the game, whatever. But they released it into fractals only from the start..and player-gated fractals at the start. Could only join fractals of your level. Soon, people are left behind and noone to play with. They addressed, this but this was the first sign of short-sightedness from Anet.

Then, people whined about how fractals were the only place to acquire ascended. So, laurels are introduced and you can get a myriad of ascended gear from there…and you can get gear from laurels that you cannot obtain in fractals(which is backwards since fractals are the only place you need ascended gear).

Now, you need a crapton of materials from farming, champ zerging, etc…
The acquisition of a complete set is ALL OVER the place.

Uniform it:
Instead of requiring the player to burn laurels for ascended, burn ectos for ascended, run fractals for ascended, and farm materials to craft ascended…

Allow ascended gear, not mats, drop from Champs and has a very rare chance of dropping from any other mob. Ascended materials to craft the gear drops from anything. Any piece can drop from fractals.

Allow the actual pieces to drop. Who flippin cares about more currency and materials farming.

Done.

They could have avoided all this by making ascended the same stats as exotics but just have the slot infusions to add ar. That way if you don’t play fractals you don’t need to get the gear since it’s only benefit is being able to add agony resistance. Some people will defend the decision to gain higher stats because they simply are unable to see that there could have been meaningful character progression without inflating stats, it’s literally all they know and understand. Where Anet is responsible is that they pandered to this crowd, and now have focused development towards stat progression versus other avenues. Perhaps once ascended is finally fully released Anet will go about adding other things to the game and once again resume their horizontal progression philosophy, but I am not holding my breath on that since the playerbase that only understands vertical progression will always need ever increasing numbers to be satisfied. I like the people that make the argument that those of us who like horizontal progression want everything handed to us because we don’t want to work for something, it seems they fail to realize that a great many of us would simply prefer to not have what we work for be stat related. I know I have zero problems with working towards a goal to improve my character in other ways besides simply adding numbers.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

@Shadowpuppet: I completely agree. I said that back in November/December. If Ascended gears true use is within fractals, why increase stats at all if all is needed is an infusion slot? Why go through the coding effort, design effort, and then listen to us complain on the forums?

Or, simply allow current exotics to be “enchantable” or “ascended”<-verb, via a rune that we double click and apply to an item to add an infusion slot. This way, people don’t even need to have two seperate gear sets…one for fractals, one for everything else.

Im a mere player, and I have provided a reasonable solution that satisfies most everyone with little backlash.

Unless, part of the reason for ascended gear is to bridge the time gap between exotic and legendary…but I argue that only a small % of your playerbase has even interest

But this is the kid of thinking that arenanet lacked during the inception of ascended gear. This idea could have solved nearly everything with minimal uproar. I believe now it is too late to impliment this idea. How do you compensate players who spent ectos, laurels and time getting the current ascended.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

(edited by cesmode.4257)

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

If you collect the stuff while you are doing stuff that is fun, than it cost you nothing. How much you can potentially make by selling the materials are irrelevant, if you are going to use it anyways.

No its still costs you something. It costs those items, they have a value associated with them. That Value is 200g. How do people not understand the concept of Instrumental value. If you obtain a car worth 5 grand and you trade that car for an ice cream cone, the ice cream wasn’t free! It cost you a car valued at 5 grand!

Just because you didn’t sell your goods first and gain the money from those goods to then pay for the Items you want doesn’t make those items free. You just cut out the middle man.

If somehow people still don’t understand this imagine taking your gathered raw materials, now sell them all on the TP. You now have 200g, Now following a guide you buy the most cost effective parts to get to crafting 500. They cost you 200g total. So you aren’t out money but it still cost you a value of 200g to get the levels no matter if you sold your goods first, or used them yourself.

Not to mention you pay to collect those goods. Putting you at negative monetary value of said goods if by your thinking, they are valued at zero.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

No its still costs you something. It costs those items, they have a value associated with them. That Value is 200g. How do people not understand the concept of Instrumental value. If you obtain a car worth 5 grand and you trade that car for an ice cream cone, the ice cream wasn’t free! It cost you a car valued at 5 grand!

Just because you didn’t sell your goods first and gain the money from those goods to then pay for the Items you want doesn’t make those items free. You just cut out the middle man.

If somehow people still don’t understand this imagine taking your gathered raw materials, now sell them all on the TP. You now have 200g, Now following a guide you buy the most cost effective parts to get to crafting 500. They cost you 200g total. So you aren’t out money but it still cost you a value of 200g to get the levels no matter if you sold your goods first, or used them yourself.

Not to mention you pay to collect those goods. Putting you at negative monetary value of said goods if by your thinking, they are valued at zero.

For some reason this is always a difficult concept for people to grasp. I think it’s because they value their own time and effort very little.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.