Hang-Gliding Could Be Fun, But...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Hang-Gliding looks like it could be fun, but from the glimpses we see in the trailer the gliders look pretty ugly to me. I hope we can skin ’em. (Hint, hint…).

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I’m keen to see if there will be some sort of flying puzzle / course.

Obviously the gliders would make a jumping puzzle pointless, but I figure they could do some sort of guild rush through a ravine or something like that.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Possibly some racial overtones? Leaf-like wings for Sylvari, a techie-looking (Inspector Gadget) contraption for Asura, an industrial steam-punkish rig for Charr, big snow-owl wings for Norn, etc. Butterfly wings, iridescent dragonfly wings, bird (feathered) wings, draconic wings (leathery and/or scaled), wood and canvas wings, buffalo wings, Paul McCartney and Wings, fiery (elemental/djinn) wings, Red Baron tri-wings.

And FINALLY people will buy that Aviator’s cap that has been in the Gem Store since day one!

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Archeage is the only MMO I’ve seen do gliders right. I hope anet takes a lesson from the developers of that game.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

i think gem store skins is the obvious course of action here.

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

i think gem store skins is the obvious course of action here.

And I would be MOSLTY happy with that.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Witch’s Broom glider skin? Magic Carpet glider skin? Those both seem a natural choice, considering they’re already in the game…

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Odinius.9826

Odinius.9826

Could be that this is your training glider and that after mastering the gliding you get the good looking one.

Pic is the background of the masteries part on the official site.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Archeage is the only MMO I’ve seen do gliders right. I hope anet takes a lesson from the developers of that game.

Seconded. It’s about the only thing I miss from AA, other than my horse (and I don’t think mounts are essential in GW2).

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Eileane.3845

Eileane.3845

Chars should have problems with lift-off because their so big.. would be a cool animation when they use theirs

Boxie Togg (main)… probably Tyrias only Asuran Mesmer that ultimately fails at jumping puzzles
Stinky McLane… the only Necro known to have a toothpaste fetish
Lefty (give me a second) Fiddlesticks… one Engineer, two clumbsy hands…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Except gliders don’t lift off, they drop Perhaps they could get flung?

/cues Monty Python voice
“Does your fluffy charr glide on her own?”
“No, I fling her.”

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Something I’ve been wondering: how does one hang glide within the confines of a jungle? I can easily imagine hang gliding above a jungle, but I’m having trouble imagining hang gliding inside or through one.

When I think of a jungle, I don’t think of wide open spaces with convenient updrafts and breezes and lots of room to maneuver, I think of densely vegetated areas in which game trails and waterways offer the least troublesome means of getting around.

Anet has mentioned three levels:

• the canopy, that is, the top, which one would think would be very, well, leafy, immediately below which should be the trunks and branches of the trees providing all the leaves, which, in my estimation, could provide considerable challenge to anyone attempting to hang glide. Above the canopy, sure, have at it. Below? Uh… watch out for that tree?
  • the floor — where the undergrowth would be running mostly rampant, serving as a most dire impediment to hang gliding, one would expect.
  • the roots — underground areas are also not traditionally a good place for hang gliding.

So, why hang gliding? Why not giant dragonflies, as seen in the Green Star novels, Lin Carter’s reverent homage to the tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs? Seems to me giant dragonflies would make more sense…

(spoiler: in the novels, the dragonflies aren’t actually gigantic; the people are, ya know, tiny.)

The table is a fable.