Hardcore mode - Delete when you die

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Liberis.9573

Liberis.9573

If I die before I hit level 80, I delete my character and start over. I also restrict myself to a maximum of two crafting professions per character, just to keep it challenging.

My last character died at level 46 (messed up on a vista), so I started over yesterday. I’m currently at level 34, and I’m hoping that this one will make it!

Does anyone else do this? If so, how far have you gotten, and what’s your favorite class?

EDIT:

I finally did it!

37 hours and 59 minutes, over 4 days:
- Two crafting professions to 400
- No level 20 scroll
- 40% map completion
- Personal story: level 64
- Times downed: ~4

Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/DJOS5#0

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHCOuzhtcY

(edited by Liberis.9573)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Nope. But kudos to you for attempting it. Reminds me of old-school Diablo days. XD

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I get way too attached to my own toons to do this, but this shows up in a lot of MMOs. Back in City of Heroes, they were called Iron Eagles.

It was cool, because these guys actually formed cohesive groups that played through content together, and would have multiple alts to replace the guys they lost. For them, the standard dungeon run was a hair-raising experience.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’ve seen a few threads where someone says they were doing this. You might try googling it and seeing if they still play and are still doing this.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

just go play diablo where you cant lie about it

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

What’s so hardcore about leveling anyway? I can do CoF p1 on my 80 and then swap at the end to the lowbie for the exp. There’s so many ways to level “passively” that it doesn’t even matter if you survived all the way to lvl 80.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I get way too attached to my own toons to do this, but this shows up in a lot of MMOs. Back in City of Heroes, they were called Iron Eagles.

It was cool, because these guys actually formed cohesive groups that played through content together, and would have multiple alts to replace the guys they lost. For them, the standard dungeon run was a hair-raising experience.

Imagine how terror-inducing jumping puzzles would be!

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I’ll pass. Have fun though. I imagine PvP would be just a nightmare as well…or does that not count?

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i would play a character like this, but i demand the following

-increased loot chances
-unique loot that can only be aquired from hardcore mode
-ability to buy loot from the TP and loose said loot when u die (its gooooood for the economy)
-a set of achievment points that can only be aquired from hardcore mode (like literally the entire set of achievments we have now but in hardcore mode for DOUBLE the score)

Posted by: ICEing.9237

ICEing.9237

And mossman stalks you throughout your leveling experience

Teknekality

[Dark Renegatus]

Liberis.9573

GW2 has the /deaths command.

Imagine how terror-inducing jumping puzzles would be!

Jumping puzzles are a nightmare. I try to avoid them unless I am absolutely sure I can do it without dying haha.

I’ll pass. Have fun though. I imagine PvP would be just a nightmare as well…or does that not count?

I don’t pvp until 80.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

GW2 has the /deaths command.

yeah… so?

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Ouimette.5902

Ouimette.5902

There’s actually a reddit post regarding leveling in GW2 in a more hardcore way.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/18ppm2/guild_wars_2_iron_man_challenge/

I’d never try this but cudos to the people who actually does manage to accomplish this goal.

And also credit to Breakage1990 for making the challenge.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

If I die before I hit level 80, I delete my character and start over. I also restrict myself to a maximum of two crafting professions per character, just to keep it challenging.

My last character died at level 46 (messed up on a vista), so I started over yesterday. I’m currently at level 34, and I’m hoping that this one will make it!

Does anyone else do this? If so, how far have you gotten, and what’s your favorite class?

I don’t delete my characters, but i try at least to avoid dying as much as possible, and hate any single death especially if it happens to unfair one-hitshot mechanisms, or like some day ago through bugged falling damage while just running down a small hill that i could jump down without getting much damage at all.

So far only 3 of my 12 80s have however reached the 80 with 0 deaths.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Liberis.9573

yeah… so?

How can you lie about that?

There’s actually a reddit post regarding leveling in GW2 in a more hardcore way.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/18ppm2/guild_wars_2_iron_man_challenge/

I’d never try this but cudos to the people who actually does manage to accomplish this goal.

And also credit to Breakage1990 for making the challenge.

Dang. That’s the hardcore version of hardcore ahaha. I don’t think I could do that, but I might have to give it a shot. Has anyone actually completed that challenge?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

i would play a character like this, but i demand the following

-increased loot chances
-unique loot that can only be aquired from hardcore mode
-ability to buy loot from the TP and loose said loot when u die (its gooooood for the economy)
-a set of achievment points that can only be aquired from hardcore mode (like literally the entire set of achievments we have now but in hardcore mode for DOUBLE the score)

He’s not asking for a game mode like this, which renders everything you’re asking for pointless. He’s asking if other people use the Iron Man ruleset, the most simplistic of which is, you die, you start over from level 1 with nothing.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I’ll never play hardcore mode because you could be the best player in the world and can never die by your own hand, but the moment you DC because of internet issues or server side issues, you are screwed to the bone.

I could accept dying by my own stupidity, but not to anything else.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I’ll never play hardcore mode because you could be the best player in the world and can never die by your own hand, but the moment you DC because of internet issues or server side issues, you are screwed to the bone.

I could accept dying by my own stupidity, but not to anything else.

I must say that at least in the case of disconnects GW2 was really very good till now, have never died because of that. But else, even since so many people always tell how “easy” everything is, you can die here much faster than in most other MMOs.

At the moment i really really hate the problems with falling damage while running down stairs or hills where you really shouldn’t take any damage.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

At the moment i really really hate the problems with falling damage while running down stairs or hills where you really shouldn’t take any damage.

This probably accounted for half the deaths of my guardian until I started running fractals. God kitten ed game physics at their best.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Name your character as HardcoreYolo

Posted by: CrossFire.8037

CrossFire.8037

Challenge is pointless, because if you’re downed or about to die, all you need to do is exit the game (alt f4) to keep your death counter at 0. It only works in PvE though.

Liberis.9573

Challenge is pointless, because if you’re downed or about to die, all you need to do is exit the game (alt f4) to keep your death counter at 0. It only works in PvE though.

Does that really work? o_o

Posted by: CrossFire.8037

CrossFire.8037

Does that really work? o_o

Yes, make a new character and test it. Let a mob put you in downed state, then exit the game. Death counter will remain the same. It doesn’t work in WvW or PvP though, because i assume the kill has to be registered on those modes.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

You end up dead though, don’t you, even if your counter is at 0.

But I think this challenge is more about personal honesty.

The farthest I went was level 23 personally (without any leveller item) so gratz to you Liberis since you beat that by a margin!

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Liberis.9573

I finally did it!

37 hours and 59 minutes, over 4 days:
- Two crafting professions to 400
- No level 20 scroll
- 40% map completion
- Personal story: level 64
- Times downed: ~4