Hardened Leather Squares

Hardened Leather Squares

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: blakkrskyrr.7413

blakkrskyrr.7413

Why did the price of Hardened Leather Sections/Squares skyrocket over the past 6 months? What change was implemented that I didn’t notice, either because I wasn’t playing during that time until I got a new pc in February, or because I was just mostly pvping after that point.

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

They are part of exotic insignias now (via gossamer patches), they are needed in guild hall upgrades and are also part of precursor crafting progression.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Leather in general is more sought after for:

- Ascended (raid requirements)
- Guild Halls (hardened and thick in enormous amounts)
- Scribing
- Precursor crafting. Some collections require leather for certain items

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: blakkrskyrr.7413

blakkrskyrr.7413

Well. That’s just lovely. Glad that Anet had waited soooo very long to do something with that leather, after I had sold the 1.5 bank tabs worth of leather squares that I invested in before ascended armor released. I just LOVE GW2’s economy.

Attachments:

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Also generally Elonian Leather square is more expensive to make now (Thick leather is now in the old Silk spot!! even a bit more expensive).

This makes using cheap leather to upgrade to hardened leather not really possible. 1x Thick leather square requires now 4 thick leather (it used to be 3 or maybe even 2 if my memory is soft).

This + what others said, pushed the whole Leathers up in price. All armors (including heavy!) now need quite a bit of leather. And people making more ascended cause game starting to require it.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Playing the stock market / trading post is very risky. It is not ANet’s fault here that you did not make more gold.

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

They are part of exotic insignias now (via gossamer patches), they are needed in guild hall upgrades and are also part of precursor crafting progression.

AND they increased how many you need to refine them.

Why they didn’t just do one of the changes to see if that made them worth a little more rather than do every change possible all at once I’ll never understand.

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Hardened leather sections/squares are pretty ridiculous on the trading post right now. It doesn’t help that regular means of acquisition (loot drops + salvage) are really bad too.

I understand the concept of supply/demand, but I don’t think a crafting material like that should ever reach such exorbitant prices…

Hardened Leather Squares

Randulf.7614

I think salvaged mats were nerfed some time round HoT, which has hurt mats without nodes, but are in high demand. Leather seemingly most affected.

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

I wonder how much of the price increase is a direct result of New leather armour Elite specs. We had yesterday a zerg in wvw that had 39 players, 12 were druids and 5 scrappers. I really would like to see if there is any relation to this sudden price increase and the high numbers among leather armour classes. Add into it the fact that leather drops rather Bad and that it is required for the gh and for decorations and i thing you might have a pattern.

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Hardened leather sections/squares are pretty ridiculous on the trading post right now. It doesn’t help that regular means of acquisition (loot drops + salvage) are really bad too.

I understand the concept of supply/demand, but I don’t think a crafting material like that should ever reach such exorbitant prices…

Who decided what’s a reasonable price? We are just used to leather being vendor price or so.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

They basically nerfed/removed all leather sources, especially hardened lather and added it as a requirement to lot of things as people have pointed above. It’s absolutely mindless what they have done with leather, they went overboard as usual, even with thick leather that was in abundance prior to this. Now it’s required for everything and elonial leather has been added to all ascended armor crafting, where b4 that wasn’t the case. I seriously question if ppl in charge of these things have any idea what they’re doing.

Hardened Leather Squares

Randulf.7614

Elonian leather is also required at the end of collection 1 of each precursor crafting

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Who decided what’s a reasonable price? We are just used to leather being vendor price or so.

Well, ArenaNet are the ones who increased the demand (they made leather sections required for Insignias and increased the number of sections needed per square) and decreased supply at the same time (with the salvaging changes). They ultimately control all the “knobs” here and know the market and player spending habits better than anyone else so I think it’s fair to say that they “decided” what’s reasonable here.

They certainly decided that the old market price wasn’t reasonable. But I think they changed too much at once. Hardened squares have had a 6000% increase in price since they made these changes and gossamer is still hardly worth anything.

Just increasing the demand would have cleared up the backlog. Changing the number of squares needed as well was a step too far, IMO.

Edit: BTW I’d make sure you have enough gossamer bolts before they release the next expansion, no doubt that’ll be their next target for “adjustment”.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Hardened Leather Squares

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Well, ArenaNet are the ones who increased the demand (they made leather sections required for Insignias and increased the number of sections needed per square) and decreased supply at the same time (with the salvaging changes). They ultimately control all the “knobs” here and know the market and player spending habits better than anyone else so I think it’s fair to say that they “decided” what’s reasonable here.

They certainly decided that the old market price wasn’t reasonable. But I think they changed too much at once. Hardened squares have had a 6000% increase in price since they made these changes and gossamer is still hardly worth anything.

Just increasing the demand would have cleared up the backlog. Changing the number of squares needed as well was a step too far, IMO.

Edit: BTW I’d make sure you have enough gossamer bolts before they release the next expansion, no doubt that’ll be their next target for “adjustment”.

My point is: it’s not up to any single player (or any group of posters) to decide “this price is reasonable, that price is exorbitant”. Those are opinions about prices, not ‘facts’ or even conclusions based on analyzing the actual impact in the game, across the entire economy and community.

And again, as I’ve stated in similar threads: I have no problem if ANet decides to re-adjust the sources or the demand for leather as well as mystic coins etc. All the same, I can’t agree that this is an urgent issue that requires immediate attention

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”