Hardened Leather and Update.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

So for those of you with alts and players still needing gear, how long until Hardened leather jumps in cost? Heck I’m sure thick leather is gonna jump too.

I’m not looking forward to long hauls getting leather again, I was finally getting enough to reasonably gear some alts that needed armor changes.

So here’s my big problem with the leather farm fix.

1. Anet created the problem by holing up access to leather in one spot and in the Doric release claiming it was a way to reduce leather prices.

2. Why is soo much leather needed for insignias. It boggles me how they could have reduced this demand and fixed the leather prices, yet instead dropped a farm.

3. It was the farm that broke the Meta, by bunching a whole lot of players in one place where the Meta starts. Even if it was supposed to be the upper ledge is the farm, it still encompasses the Hirathi Shaman Meta.

Can we get a real fix to leather or is this the expansion is looming and we just want to get the last LS done?

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

At this point I really wouldn’t be surprised if the next expansion addresses leather by making another mat the main gate. Then the price of leather would drop, because demand would artificially lower, because people would be waiting to obtain a different mat just to use their leather.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I suspect they will have an economic update as part of the expansion. I hope they undo some of the changes they made to leather then but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do what OriOri suggests instead and make cloth the main gate instead (by, for example, requiring 15 bolts for a patch or requiring more scraps per bolt). I hope they will “heal” rather than “harm” crafting but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I never really have a problem with leather, but other mats I can never seem to get, I notice that I get more leather from salvaging gear I get in WvW than anywhere else in the game, RNG maybe.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I really was expecting them to revert a combination of the salvage, drop rate, and crafting recipe changes once the glut of leather had been purged from the market.

All three changes were needed to wipe out the excess supply, but now that the supply is gone, some tweaks need to be made to bring the generation rate up (or consumption rate down, unless of course their plan is to give the same treatment to Gossamer…

I also have previously advocated for insignias to have a leather and a cloth variant, which would cause the two materials to provide a form of price parity between each other (i.e. if cloth is cheap, people use cloth for their crafting. If the price of cloth goes up too high, then people switch to using leather for their crafting).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I suspect they will have an economic update as part of the expansion. I hope they undo some of the changes they made to leather then but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do what OriOri suggests instead and make cloth the main gate instead (by, for example, requiring 15 bolts for a patch or requiring more scraps per bolt). I hope they will “heal” rather than “harm” crafting but I wouldn’t be surprised.

If they do to cloth what they did to leather I bet a lot of people will just give up crafting altogether. It’s bad enough as it is – don’t make it worse.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Hell, I’ll just give up and go back to minecraft. Or X2.

In my mind, the recipes – as they stand today – DO need to be changed. I would switch the T6 leather refinement from 3 sections to 2 for 1 square. AND cut the leather requirement for ALL patches in half, at least.

In the future, if there is an imbalance in mats, the proper way to adjust it would be to make a MINOR adjustment to the drop rate tables. And that could be dropped in with any patch or bug fix and be completely invisible to the player base. Constantly changing the recipes disincentivizes crafting.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Reverting the refinement recipe back to only needing 2 pieces would already be a static 33% decrease in demand for T6 leather, that would be fine on its own imo.

Posted by: Shaman.4513

Shaman.4513

the problem is the amount of insane mats needed to craft one tiny thing. this is what should be addressed.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

The problem with the Doric leather farm is that you can’t farm it alone. Oh, yes, you can get a few at the turret farm, but that’s cheesy. People don’t farm in groups very often. By definition almost, farming is a solo activity.

They need to tone down the number of enemies going up the hill. It should be scaled based upon how many people are on the path at that moment. (Path = the overall path, including the rocks to either side.) The way it is now, it is impossible for a solo character to get anywhere near the top by following the path. Even a geared-out tank simply can’t get very far. Plus, there are tons of enemies that can hit you, but you can’t hit them.

It’s ugly.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It’s ugly.

It’s an ugly farm. A CENTAUR farm! A farm hostile to life—-aaargh! (Killed by a centaur)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I really was expecting them to revert a combination of the salvage, drop rate, and crafting recipe changes once the glut of leather had been purged from the market.

All three changes were needed to wipe out the excess supply, but now that the supply is gone, some tweaks need to be made to bring the generation rate up (or consumption rate down, unless of course their plan is to give the same treatment to Gossamer…

I also have previously advocated for insignias to have a leather and a cloth variant, which would cause the two materials to provide a form of price parity between each other (i.e. if cloth is cheap, people use cloth for their crafting. If the price of cloth goes up too high, then people switch to using leather for their crafting).

A simple solution would have been to require both leather and cloth in equal numbers instead you need 8 cloth scraps and 30 leather sections per T6 insignia, given that imbalance its not surprising that Gossamer is so cheap while T6 leather is so expensive.

Hopefully they have actually learned from this and repair the damage they did.

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

A simple solution would have been to require both leather and cloth in equal numbers instead you need 8 cloth scraps and 30 leather sections per T6 insignia, given that imbalance its not surprising that Gossamer is so cheap while T6 leather is so expensive.

Hopefully they have actually learned from this and repair the damage they did.

Be careful for what you ask for. Instead of lowering the leather requirement, they’re more likely to increase the cloth to be the same.