Hardly a benefit in joining guild

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SundayTrash.9562

SundayTrash.9562

For a game that name itself guild wars, there is hardly any benefit in joining one. We sick of playing with pug that don’t know wtf they’re doin that’s taking up valuable slot while guildies are spamming join. We want more challenging pve content that we can do as guild and not have to show up a hour earlier just to get into the map. By challenging i mean mega bosses and not some guild mission challenge difficultly.
For the past 2 years the game has been a focus toward casual that could give a about the content once they finish with the achievement and anything more difficult outside of spamming 1 are avoided with a 10 feet pole.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Guild wars comes from the series of human wars called “the guild wars”. If you dont want to run the inexperienced pugs, dont start an lfg, and gather guildies before hand. Its pretty simple really. Challenging PvE in the form of mega bosses? you already got that with Teq, and the three headed jungle wurm. Yes you do need to show up because it requires coordination and planning, and not something everyone can do casually. However if they were to add more such content, itd still be a mindless zerg fest with people just pressing 1, as you say, because anything that requires more than that requires you be there early to plan and coordinate.

There are lots of things you can do as a guild aside from guild mission. Maybe you can come up with guild activities that can be challenging and fun. Like a scavenger hunt, or something. The game isn’t responsible for making you have fun, if you dont find it fun, maybe its time to move on?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

SundayTrash.9562

Guild wars comes from the series of human wars called “the guild wars”. If you dont want to run the inexperienced pugs, dont start an lfg, and gather guildies before hand. Its pretty simple really. Challenging PvE in the form of mega bosses? you already got that with Teq, and the three headed jungle wurm. Yes you do need to show up because it requires coordination and planning, and not something everyone can do casually. However if they were to add more such content, itd still be a mindless zerg fest with people just pressing 1, as you say, because anything that requires more than that requires you be there early to plan and coordinate.

There are lots of things you can do as a guild aside from guild mission. Maybe you can come up with guild activities that can be challenging and fun. Like a scavenger hunt, or something. The game isn’t responsible for making you have fun, if you dont find it fun, maybe its time to move on?

First of all after killing teq and wurm daily for months with TTS, its really hard to consider them hard anymore.
Second its hard to avoid pugs when they flood into ur map rather u like it or not.
Third coordination and setting up only require couple of min if u have regulars, u can skip the introduction and get to the point, but the flaw side is the game don’t priorities guildies from pugs.
And lastly just like any mmo with raid content, people would still do it daily, its just that setting up and getting the regulars into the same map is just a hassle in this game, that it is not really worth it to wait there for a hour and only to fail it caz of the unwanted pugs

(edited by SundayTrash.9562)

pdavis.8031

So your QQing about too many people? and you cant do things solely with your guild? In a game designed to play with other people and work with other people that may or may not be in a guild with you? Im confused….

recognize my command!”

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Well, the fact pugs can flood in means they are at least on ts, else they will just be subject to a purge.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

while i’d like features like guild halls…or thing like guild “raids”…or especially guild vs. guild battles as a instanced group pvp mode, would be nice….

the main point of a guild is to have a group of people to talk to and play with (who don’t care if you are playing a ranger or want to use a condition build in a dungeon for the hell of it). so you should probably rename your thread to be more specific to your complaint (the megaserver failures and lack of guild-taylored content).

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

For a game that name itself guild wars, there is hardly any benefit in joining one. We sick of playing with pug that don’t know wtf they’re doin that’s taking up valuable slot while guildies are spamming join. We want more challenging pve content that we can do as guild and not have to show up a hour earlier just to get into the map. By challenging i mean mega bosses and not some guild mission challenge difficultly.
For the past 2 years the game has been a focus toward casual that could give a about the content once they finish with the achievement and anything more difficult outside of spamming 1 are avoided with a 10 feet pole.

That is quite the condescending attitude you have there. I think that honestly, if you have been doing Teq/Wurm every day for months, maybe GW2 is simply too casual for you?

For someone like me there is plenty to do with a guild. Guild missions, all the passive guild buffs to xp, gold, looting, crafting. They are a major boon to me in WvW, and help me doing Guild Missions. Also the megaserver has never been a hassle for me trying to find guildies to play with in the same map as me. 1/5 of all people I saw in Dry Top was just guildies. It was really nice:)

GW2s end game is not for everyone, but the game does try to be inclusive towards all. I am sure that some PvE “hardcore” players will find it to not be satisfying to their needs, but in the end it’s about doing what you enjoy:)

SundayTrash.9562

Another daily wurm, more junk, need harder content

Attachments:

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Guild wars comes from the series of human wars called “the guild wars”.

You’re the first person I’ve seen in my entire history of playing this series who actually understands that.

My hat’s off to you.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Have you considered playing with handicaps then?

- No consumables
- No reflect teams
- Fight naked

If you’re just too skilled for certain content, then you’ll eventually reach a point where the only way to be challenged anymore is to handicap yourself, such as trying to solo dungeons.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m confused. If the content is too easy, what is your complaint about ‘pugs’ being around, then? Either they have no impact on your gameplay (the content is too easy), or you find the content challenging with many different people (the pugs are ruining the game). smh

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Guilds do need some love in this game, but that doesn’t mean there’s no reason to join one.

Of course, if all you care about is rewards and mechanics and challenge from that point of view, you’d be right. But then there are guilds that become almost like families. We play together. Do missions together. Do jumping puzzles together, clear zones together.

We have a great time. It’s usually more than five people, so just partying up wouldn’t really work.

But yes, being social is one of the best reasons to join a guild. Then we pop guild buffs on weekends (buffs not banners) which is another reason. And we go into WvW sometimes (which is certainly a reason to guild up).

And we run Guild Missions twice a week.

Not to say that guilds don’t need some love, because I believe they do, but saying there’s no reason to join one…I’d probably not be playing this game if not for the guild.

SundayTrash.9562

I’m confused. If the content is too easy, what is your complaint about ‘pugs’ being around, then? Either they have no impact on your gameplay (the content is too easy), or you find the content challenging with many different people (the pugs are ruining the game). smh

caz this was not a pug run. What I am trying to point out is that, pug might see the content as something thats complex, and near impossible, but in realty its actually very ez with a organize guild run.

(edited by SundayTrash.9562)

SundayTrash.9562

You’re the first person I’ve seen in my entire history of playing this series who actually understands that.

My hat’s off to you.

yes, but they could have given the game a different name thats more fitting.

pdavis.8031

My hat’s off to you.

Why thank you sir. I am a bit of a lore enthusiast :P

recognize my command!”

SundayTrash.9562

Guilds do need some love in this game, but that doesn’t mean there’s no reason to join one.

Of course, if all you care about is rewards and mechanics and challenge from that point of view, you’d be right. But then there are guilds that become almost like families. We play together. Do missions together. Do jumping puzzles together, clear zones together.

We have a great time. It’s usually more than five people, so just partying up wouldn’t really work.

But yes, being social is one of the best reasons to join a guild. Then we pop guild buffs on weekends (buffs not banners) which is another reason. And we go into WvW sometimes (which is certainly a reason to guild up).

And we run Guild Missions twice a week.

Not to say that guilds don’t need some love, because I believe they do, but saying there’s no reason to join one…I’d probably not be playing this game if not for the guild.

Never stated there’s no reason to join one. Just saying there is not much benefit outside of social, and guild missions. Its also problematic the game don’t priorities and leave slot open for guildies to come to bigger events like teq and wurm. Plus dungeons are at most 5 man, so you are bound to leave out some people that really wants to come.

SundayTrash.9562

Have you considered playing with handicaps then?

- No consumables
- No reflect teams
- Fight naked

If you’re just too skilled for certain content, then you’ll eventually reach a point where the only way to be challenged anymore is to handicap yourself, such as trying to solo dungeons.

Done a no reflect teams couple of weeks ago after the patch hit and don’t know about reflect not working on eggs, still manage a kill.
Done a Naked Teq, and no consumables as well.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

There is more circumstantial evidence that points to the opposite conclusion: the game was made with GvG as a core foundational element and the lore was made to coincide. Certainly it makes much more sense this way round to explain the name.

inb4 “anet confirmed name comes from lore!!” — of course they did, 2 years in and they don’t have a pvp offering worth mentioning it’s no wonder they’d like to sweep the GW1 GvG legacy under the rug.

Vayne.8563

There is more circumstantial evidence that points to the opposite conclusion: the game was made with GvG as a core foundational element and the lore was made to coincide. Certainly it makes much more sense this way round to explain the name.

inb4 “anet confirmed name comes from lore!!” — of course they did, 2 years in and they don’t have a pvp offering worth mentioning it’s no wonder they’d like to sweep the GW1 GvG legacy under the rug.

They said long before launch they wouldn’t be putting GvG into this game.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

No – GvG was coincidental with GW1. Meaning that the game just happened to have GvG in it. Also too, since the Gods left the world, GvG serves no purpose – Guild Wars was about fighting for your God, like a religious war. Since there are not Gods in GW2, why have GvG (although you can do it now – they the coliseum in OS map).

They didn’t do it 2 years in, they did it in BETA. Please get your facts right before you spout garbage. A.Net had the lore out so that players could understand the whole situation in Tyria. It was pretty monumental Lore for only having one game out in this universe.

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

Posted by: Neurochazm.5370

Neurochazm.5370

Never stated there’s no reason to join one. Just saying there is not much benefit outside of social, and guild missions. Its also problematic the game don’t priorities and leave slot open for guildies to come to bigger events like teq and wurm. Plus dungeons are at most 5 man, so you are bound to leave out some people that really wants to come.

How exactly would prioritising slots for Guildies solve anything? Pretty much everyone that goes to the Mega bosses is in a guild & would therefore have a slot prioritised for their fellow members.

I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown.

Dusty Moon.4382

How exactly would prioritising slots for Guildies solve anything? Pretty much everyone that goes to the Mega bosses is in a guild & would therefore have a slot prioritised for their fellow members.

This is especially true if your GL and Go’s are there. Also make sure you set up parties beforehand as that makes it easier to get in now.

milo.6942

No – GvG was coincidental with GW1. Meaning that the game just happened to have GvG in it. Also too, since the Gods left the world, GvG serves no purpose – Guild Wars was about fighting for your God, like a religious war. Since there are not Gods in GW2, why have GvG (although you can do it now – they the coliseum in OS map).

They didn’t do it 2 years in, they did it in BETA. Please get your facts right before you spout garbage. A.Net had the lore out so that players could understand the whole situation in Tyria. It was pretty monumental Lore for only having one game out in this universe.

Your fanboy is showing man. The game was built from the ground up to have GvG/HA as the end game, and all the features present at launch support that (if you’d like I will list them).

Vayne.8563

Your fanboy is showing man. The game was built from the ground up to have GvG/HA as the end game, and all the features present at launch support that (if you’d like I will list them).

You are 100% right. Anet originally designed Guild Wars 1 to be about PvP, until they realized that PvE was where their bread was buttered and later on it shows not only in Guild Wars 2, but in Guild Wars 1 as well.

Dusty Moon.4382

LOL – I love the dismissal to my argument because it disagrees with your assessment. I didn’t call you a ‘HATER’, which would have done the same thing.

You just caused your argument to fall on deaf ears. I was listening but you lost me now.

As far as GvG and HA being what the game was developed for, I think they had a 2-pronged approach. This is supported by the fact that you could make a PvP only character and/or a PvE character and use it in PvP (if it was developed only for PvP why did the alpha and beta tests initially stress PvE and only at the last one or two beta weekends was PvP stressed). I think A.Net realized that one influences the other and when one balances for one aspect of the game, it affects the other. You could see this disparity rather easily in the imbalances and OP build that came out of the game. It was not a balanced game at all and is still not. Also having 2 professions had many unintended consequences and benefits (this is partially what made the game so hard to balance – so said A.Net).

Posted by: Herr Lindahl.5732

Herr Lindahl.5732

LOL – I love the dismissal to my argument because it disagrees with your assessment. I didn’t call you a ‘HATER’, which would have done the same thing.

You just caused your argument to fall on deaf ears. I was listening but you lost me now.

As far as GvG and HA being what the game was developed for, I think they had a 2-pronged approach. This is supported by the fact that you could make a PvP only character and/or a PvE character and use it in PvP (if it was developed only for PvP why did the alpha and beta tests initially stress PvE and only at the last one or two beta weekends was PvP stressed). I think A.Net realized that one influences the other and when one balances for one aspect of the game, it affects the other. You could see this disparity rather easily in the imbalances and OP build that came out of the game. It was not a balanced game at all and is still not. Also having 2 professions had many unintended consequences and benefits (this is partially what made the game so hard to balance – so said A.Net).

I think you should listen to what Mike O’Brien has to say about that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmnEWvo1Ugw&t=1m43s

Dusty Moon.4382

I was also looking at posts from the same person when they were talking about development of GW2. What I posted was what they said at that time…..

SundayTrash.9562

Why can’t we create a private?

Dusty Moon.4382

Private what? Megaboss? because this game is not instanced. That would be counter-intuitive, wouldn’kitten It is hard to have the same boss as instanced and open world – one or the other not both.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Private what? Megaboss? because this game is not instanced. That would be counter-intuitive, wouldn’kitten It is hard to have the same boss as instanced and open world – one or the other not both.

You can create an event off time, guild needs to research it then when no one else is around start it.

Vayne.8563

One line, during the excitment at a PvP event? What did you expect him to say? I bet if he was a PvE fuction he’d say how they build the game for the ground up to be a PvE game. Stuff like this proves absolutely nothing. It’s called marketing. Everyone does it. You pander to your audience.

SundayTrash.9562

Actually each zone is a instance with a player cap. A totally totally open mmo would have every zone connected without a need entrance/exit portal and Zones would not have a player cap.

Vayne.8563

Actually each zone is a instance with a player cap. A totally totally open mmo would have every zone connected without a need entrance/exit portal and Zones would not have a player cap.

Every MMO is an instance. That’s why you end up in queues to get into them. Anet took away the queue by making overflow servers, but it’s no real difference.

In many MMOs, there are different versions of the servers, such as Aion. You can switch between them at will.

Calling it an instance is not really correct.

I believe you’re confusing instanced with seamless. You can have a seamless world like you do in WoW, but open world in Guild Wars 2 isn’t considered an instance, gates between zones or no.

Dusty Moon.4382

Every MMO is an instance. That’s why you end up in queues to get into them. Anet took away the queue by making overflow servers, but it’s no real difference.

In many MMOs, there are different versions of the servers, such as Aion. You can switch between them at will.

I believe you’re confusing instanced with seamless. You can have a seamless world like you do in WoW, but open world in Guild Wars 2 isn’t considered an instance, gates between zones or no.

WoW is not seamless – there are plenty of loading screens, at least at the beginning and in Beta.

It would take too much CPU time on the server/client to actually have a fully open world. Zoning makes it much easier for the server/client to deal with.

Vayne.8563

WoW is not seamless – there are plenty of loading screens, at least at the beginning and in Beta.

Most of the world feels seamless because they hid the crossover points. It makes it look seamless and it’s called seamless within the industry. It’s not literally seamless however.

Herr Lindahl.5732

One line, during the excitment at a PvP event? What did you expect him to say? I bet if he was a PvE fuction he’d say how they build the game for the ground up to be a PvE game. Stuff like this proves absolutely nothing. It’s called marketing. Everyone does it. You pander to your audience.

They also called the game a “Competitive Online Role-Playing Game”. I’m pretty sure they designed the combat around PvP and then designed the PvE part (world, story, lore, etc.) around what they had. The name “Guild Wars” can just as easily refer to GvG as to “The Guild Wars” themselves.

Either way, the reason I linked that video was to disprove his statement that GvG was coincidental when it is very obvious it was planned from the start.

Dusty Moon.4382

Most of the world feels seamless because they hid the crossover points. It makes it look seamless and it’s called seamless within the industry. It’s not literally seamless however.

It is still not seamless, no matter what little things they did to hide it. Seamless means just that, not almost seamless or actually, not really seamless or partially almost seamless (done in my best Monty Python imitation)- it means there are no loading screens and you could just run from one end to the other.

Dusty Moon.4382

They also called the game a “Competitive Online Role-Playing Game”. I’m pretty sure they designed the combat around PvP and then designed the PvE part (world, story, lore, etc.) around what they had. The name “Guild Wars” can just as easily refer to GvG as to “The Guild Wars” themselves.

Either way, the reason I linked that video was to disprove his statement that GvG was coincidental when it is very obvious it was planned from the start.

GW1 was not a ‘COMPETITIVE’ ORPG it was a ‘Cooperative’ ORPG. That is how A.Net described the game. I think you are trying to rewrite history here.

The GvG and HoH Tournaments were a great ADVERTISING for the game, plain and simple. If it was more than that, they wouldn’t have stopped after a few years but continued on.

Vayne.8563

GW1 was not a ‘COMPETITIVE’ ORPG it was a ‘Cooperative’ ORPG.

Yep, it was cooperative, not competitive. Plenty of places to look that up.

Herr Lindahl.5732

From their own FAQ:

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

Vayne.8563

From their own FAQ:

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

Yep, you’re absolutely right. And yet I’m 100% sure I’ve heard Jeff Strain or Mike Obrien refer to it as a cooperative RPG, as well, later on in the game’s life.

As I said earlier the game certainly was first posed as a PvP game, but Anet themselves have said they were surprised by the passion of the PvE players. Again it’s why the last two games they released, Nightfall and EotN had no PvP at all in them. They were pure PvE games.

Why? Because as I said earlier, after their initial plans they saw which side their bread was buttered on.

And again, it’s why they talked about PvE in Guild Wars 2 for a full year, before ever mentioning PvP.

Dusty Moon.4382

From their own FAQ:

That does not mean that PvP was developed first – sorry. It means it is a big part not the OVER-REACHING part of the game. As I said, the alpha tests were PvE only, although the graphics looked nothing like GW1 at release – even the BETA’s were different – no PvP there either (until the last couple of weekends). After all the people who created GW1 also designed Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.

milo.6942

Yep, you’re absolutely right. And yet I’m 100% sure I’ve heard Jeff Strain or Mike Obrien refer to it as a cooperative RPG, as well, later on in the game’s life.

As I said earlier the game certainly was first posed as a PvP game, but Anet themselves have said they were surprised by the passion of the PvE players. Again it’s why the last two games they released, Nightfall and EotN had no PvP at all in them. They were pure PvE games.

Why? Because as I said earlier, after their initial plans they saw which side their bread was buttered on.

And again, it’s why they talked about PvE in Guild Wars 2 for a full year, before ever mentioning PvP.

I thought it was “cooperative” as well, and the official wiki gives both cooperative & competitive as true. And it’s also true that starting from later expansions there was less emphasis on pvp, and certainly heading into gw2 it’s been painfully obvious pvp has been relegated to life support status. Other posters talking about gw1 being “coincidentally” featuring gvg are really quite far from the documented truth: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars which leads me to the conclusion that the name “guild wars” originates from a desire to market the game as pvp-focused to distinguish it among its competitors.

Vayne.8563

I thought it was “cooperative” as well, and the official wiki gives both cooperative & competitive as true. And it’s also true that starting from later expansions there was less emphasis on pvp, and certainly heading into gw2 it’s been painfully obvious pvp has been relegated to life support status. Other posters talking about gw1 being “coincidentally” featuring gvg are really quite far from the documented truth: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars which leads me to the conclusion that the name “guild wars” originates from a desire to market the game as pvp-focused to distinguish it among its competitors.

Oh I’m pretty sure that PvP was originally supposed to be end game. Anet just learned that people love Tyria. It’s something you don’t get as much in PvP.

SundayTrash.9562

Now my question is, where our pve end game? If they wanted to go the other way.

Vayne.8563

Now my question is, where our pve end game? If they wanted to go the other way.

This is part of my theory too. They looked at how many people actually played end game content, and found most people probably didn’t. Sad, but true.

So they wanted to provide more of the stuff more of the people liked. Open world stuff. Mission type stuff. Farming.

It’s not really that they don’t want to support end game content, but it’s not going to be their first priority. I remember devs talking about how few people ever actually even attempted DoA.

Herr Lindahl.5732

Oh I’m pretty sure that PvP was originally supposed to be end game. Anet just learned that people love Tyria. It’s something you don’t get as much in PvP.

I think Anet’s own FAQ is more reliable than the wiki when it comes to the game’s description in this case; the wiki can be edited by anyone, after all. I remember people understanding the C to mean cooperative, but I only saw that a few years down the line after they started shifting more focus from PvP to PvE (which was the time their official wiki was launched). The C can certainly mean both cooperative and competitive, but that doesn’t change what the original intention was.

pdavis.8031

While that may be the case, it doesn’t really matter how the name came about. They could have called the game “Legendary guild death match of awesomeness”. While it certainly is an awesome name, “Guild Wars” has a much better sound to it. Even if they did have GvG in mind as a core part of the game, they created the lore, and named it “Guild Wars” in reference to the series of wars in lore called “The Guild wars”, or created the lore around the name “Guild Wars”, in reference to GvG. But thats not the point I was trying to make. The point is that the name is derived from lore, or the lore derived from the name, doesn’t mean that in GW 2 has to have anything to do with GvG. It’s a continuation of the story, and the lore that was presented in GW1.

recognize my command!”

Dusty Moon.4382

While that may be the case, it doesn’t really matter how the name came about. They could have called the game “Legendary guild death match of awesomeness”. While it certainly is an awesome name, “Guild Wars” has a much better sound to it. Even if they did have GvG in mind as a core part of the game, they created the lore, and named it “Guild Wars” in reference to the series of wars in lore called “The Guild wars”, or created the lore around the name “Guild Wars”, in reference to GvG. But thats not the point I was trying to make. The point is that the name is derived from lore, or the lore derived from the name, doesn’t mean that in GW 2 has to have anything to do with GvG. It’s a continuation of the story, and the lore that was presented in GW1.

+1 thumbs up here

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Perhaps there is no big disadvantage from being without a guild. That might be a good thing.