Has anyone else noticed this?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shinji.8320

Shinji.8320

I just learned via the wiki how to use the /me command. I was (somewhat) elated as this basically means CUSTOM EMOTES which is wonderful. However. A friend of mine who doesn’t play (we’ll call him “Eddie”) has noticed (and subsequently informed me) that this emote has enormous potential for “misuse”. Quotes around the word misuse because I don’t think this is a bad thing, it makes the game even more fun and deepens the role playing experience. But I’ll stop beating around the bush. He thinks that it could be used for creating “odd, pervy, or just downright wrong” emotes.

I want some feedback on this. I mean, we’re gamers, so a pervy comment here and there is fine, especially with the chat-filtering options available. Is Eddie blowing things out of proportion? Or is this serious?

Ps. I overuse parenthesis. I know (Deal with it).

#Revive14kThiefBackstabs
Phnglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu Rl’yeh wga’nagl fhtagn.

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

I think people who wish to abuse will do it regardless of this function. I don’t see anything wrong with it and I reckon normal chat rules would apply to this as well.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Not any different from any other MMO that allows them. Biggest problem with the emote system in that regard is that it’s harder to report someone based off their emote, since there’s no clickable portion of the name, as there would be in a /say line.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm.. What’s the difference between /me and just typing out ‘I’ or ‘(Character Name)’ does whatever except for the color of the text? It’s not like the character actually does any emote or anything.

I don’t see how it could be ‘abused’ any more than just typing something. Am I missing something?

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Hmm.. What’s the difference between /me and just typing out ‘I’ or ‘(Character Name)’ does whatever except for the color of the text? It’s not like the character actually does any emote or anything.

I don’t see how it could be ‘abused’ any more than just typing something. Am I missing something?

Mostly confuses people who don’t know about it.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

If I recall correctly it also has a much larger radius of being able to be seen versus typing something in the /say box.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

If I recall correctly it also has a much larger radius of being able to be seen versus typing something in the /say box.

Oddly, if you’re teamed with someone, the range goes anywhere in the zone.

I really, REALLY can’t see the logic in that.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The abuse comes from people using custom emotes to disrupt others’ play. There are two ways they do this: 1) emote lewd crude things to RPers (because the Block feature does not block custom emotes and a ban won’t happen in one minute after the /report) and 2) spam the emotes constantly to scroll the RP text away (again, unblockable).

Making /em blocked when you Ignore someone would solve so much.

(semi-related, so would giving us a better color than dull grey … /pet project)