Has anyone seen a Dev post (Red post?) on Waypoint prices?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OmegaNine.9148

OmegaNine.9148

Q:

When I was still leveling I kind of thought the issue was overblown. Now that I have hit max level pretty much spend all of my time bleeding silver I understand.

Everything costs money. Fighting in repairs, farming in picks/axes/sickles, crafting in mats, running around in way points, TP is posting fees…The list seems to go on and on. I am just bleeding money, and not making near enough to sustain game play. After buying gear I had 3 gold when I hit 80; from WP’s, repairs and crafting I am down to 80 silver. I have been doing events when I go by them, and I am doing quests on maps for explorer. They don’t come close to the amount I’m putting out.

Has there been a developer post about this? Just wondering if there is a plan to change it, or the answer to buy gold from the Black Lion Trading.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think they are waiting for the game settle before they make changes to any of these things (with the annoying exception of hidden anti-farming codes they are putting in the game all over the place). If you are struggling with it (class balance, dungeon difficulty, token grind, karma grind, waypoint costs) they seem to be biding their time, waiting to see if the issues are still as big once the game begins to mature and people accumulate more wealth and learn how to farm (without having them nerfed). When things run smoothly are players are able to comfortably and enjoyably afford things or farm things, that’s when they take action.

I think at this point they are playing the waiting game.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Nope none, and they’re not going to because lowbies who are not level 80 dont know just how high the tax is for level 80s.

So they’ll keep defending the cost of WPs being just right.

Ohwell.

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

More importantly, how do we 80’s make the money for all the gold sinks + armor? It’s been a week and I’m still trying to get full exotic armor, nevermind weapons and jewelry.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Rizzy.8293

@Terok, you don’t because… hang on let me bring in a fan boy.

Fanboy

Exotic gear is by no means an upgrade to your damage output and survivorbility, it is only a 12 – 20 percent increase and therefore only used for aesthetic reasons.

But one thing fanboys an girls fail to realize 12 – 20 percent more damge ranges anywhere from 400 – 800 more BASE damage which is pretty significant.

Some fanboy said the crazy remarks dungeons can be done in whites
And I said really, lets do it! lets form a party to do exploration dungeon in white gear to which they say if i can find people.

They make this kitten up swear its like a talking a wall accept a wall doesnt make stupid things up.

Exotic gear is the baseline equipment a level 80 should have to be efficient to have the 18 – 24k hp Hrouda expects us to have.
And right now with all the goldsinks theres no way for you to attain those unless you get gems

(edited by Rizzy.8293)

Posted by: Blecks.8271

Blecks.8271

I got the same problem atm. In cof runs i cant even afford the repair costs of the run anymore.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

I got the same problem atm. In cof runs i cant even afford the repair costs of the run anymore.

The problem is that you’re repairing a lot, which comes from a problem of dying, which comes from a problem of not being good at this game.

I’d suggest taking care of the problem at its source instead of moving up the ladder and claiming there’s a problem there.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

More importantly, how do we 80’s make the money for all the gold sinks + armor? It’s been a week and I’m still trying to get full exotic armor, nevermind weapons and jewelry.

You aren’t INTENDED to get FULL Exotic or all sets of high end weapons in a WEEK….that’s why the prices are right for travel so you have to go off your farming beaten path and do something else to get money so you can afford other things.

Game is WAD hurray for Anet in their wisdom.

Terok.7315

@ravinhood.3981

That is profoundly contrary to what the developers have been saying over the past few months. Is this or is this not a gear-based game? Furthermore, what is off the beaten path? Is it farming mobs? Farming dynamic events? Farming WvW? Although I am being ironic, I’m also legitimately curious.

How does one make money?

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Yeah ravinhood, you’re applying your experiences with other MMOs that focus on gear grind to Guild Wars 2.
That is never what the franchise has been about.
In the first Guild Wars, for all three major campaigns, I could guarantee that as soon as I hit 20 and got to where it was available, I could afford a full suit of top level gear with maximum stats.
ArenaNet led us to believe that GW2 would be the same; it’s not, especially as one type of armour, that with Power/Vitality/Toughness bonuses, isn’t even craftable and only available through intensive grind.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

You aren’t INTENDED to get FULL Exotic or all sets of high end weapons in a WEEK….that’s why the prices are right for travel so you have to go off your farming beaten path and do something else to get money so you can afford other things.

Thank you, someone gets it. You’ll get your shiny eventually, just try not to die all the time, and don’t waypoint across three maps.

Also @Terok you don’t need to grind to win the game. That’s what they wanted, you still have to do some sort of grind to get the things you want, and even then there’s a lot of variety for events and crafting and whatnot, I find, so it’s at least not a boring grind for a while.

(edited by Yata.8932)

Posted by: Rhongomyniad.5081

Rhongomyniad.5081

Why are you way pointing so much .. just spend another 240 seconds walking there

Terok.7315

That’s what they wanted

I feel like I’m not making myself clear. I don’t need aesthetics gear, I need gear that has the best stats available. I’ll grind for “shinies” later, right now I want to be as effective as possible for WvW.

OmegaNine.9148

I sense a lot of trolls in this forum…Rhongomyniad.5081….More like 15-30 mins. To get to lions arch from the south 75 area I spent about 10 mins running then used a WP.

The problem is that you’re repairing a lot, which comes from a problem of dying, which comes from a problem of not being good at this game.

I’d suggest taking care of the problem at its source instead of moving up the ladder and claiming there’s a problem there.

This one, im not sure if mentally challenged or troll.

You are talking about a game with random aggro, if you pull 4 mobs, and they all target you instead of spread the damage, the 2’nd shot downs you, the 4th shot kills you. This can happen in less than 2 seconds. Plus no one knows these bosses yet, we wiped on the first boss in 3rd option explorer mode like 9 times before we happen to find the troll trying to pass him.

I understand you guys enjoy the game, and Im sure you were one of the people using CM runs over and over to stock pile gold. Thats fine, but not everyone had a chance to do that. Now there is a problem where half the people are filthy freakin rich, and the other half are dirt poor and can’t play the game.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Although I would like to agree because I am patient enough to take time to get my gear together, in the end I must disagree with you.

The reason I disagree with you is this: If you are not intended to get full exotic gear within a week, why is it possible to do so? The fact is that there are already level 80s running around in full exotic gear. The hardcore players if you will and they are the ones who already figured out ways to make gold that most people don’t do or even know exist.

Because of this there is a rift between that group and the new level 80s that are considered undergeared because they need more time to get their gear together.

The waypoint costs hurt the casual player more than the hardcore player. That’s the problem, not the fact that there are many money sinks.

Everytime anyone says something isn’t intended, I just look at if it’s possible and legal within the game rules. If it is, then it is intended.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

OmegaNine.9148

Although I would like to agree because I am patient enough to take time to get my gear together, in the end I must disagree with you.

The reason I disagree with you is this: If you are not intended to get full exotic gear within a week, why is it possible to do so? The fact is that there are already level 80s running around in full exotic gear. The hardcore players if you will and they are the ones who already figured out ways to make gold that most people don’t do or even know exist.

Because of this there is a rift between that group and the new level 80s that are considered undergeared because they need more time to get their gear together.

The waypoint costs hurt the casual player more than the hardcore player. That’s the problem, not the fact that there are many money sinks.

Everytime anyone says something isn’t intended, I just look at if it’s possible and legal within the game rules. If it is, then it is intended.

i think the people that are rich got that way running dungeons before they nerfed them. Honestly I think that the amount you got form a dungeon wasn’t that bad considering how much things cost in the game. The exp gain from them was extremely high, but the gold seemed low for most of them really.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Yeah ravinhood, you’re applying your experiences with other MMOs that focus on gear grind to Guild Wars 2.
That is never what the franchise has been about.
In the first Guild Wars, for all three major campaigns, I could guarantee that as soon as I hit 20 and got to where it was available, I could afford a full suit of top level gear with maximum stats.
ArenaNet led us to believe that GW2 would be the same; it’s not, especially as one type of armour, that with Power/Vitality/Toughness bonuses, isn’t even craftable and only available through intensive grind.

+1

No grind, my kitten! I feel lied to. I feel betrayed. I was so hoping for a game where I could be competetive statwise from day one and then do whatever I want, at whatever pace I want to farm my appearence gear.

Instead I have to find out that I can’t be competetive statwise from day one. Instead, I am facing ever higher thresholds of grind in order to be. Karma-prizes were raised enormously. Dungeon-runs were made longer and more difficult and (at the same time) less rewarding. Since sky-high karma prizes were not enough, karma grinding in DE was nerfed.

During beta, I was intending to just buy the stuff I need from the tradepost. I was even willing to trade cash for gold in order to do so. But earning gold has also been turned into an endless grind with diminishing returns on everything you do and there’s now goldsinks galore. Gold for cash is a pittance, I’m not spending 100 gems for 26 silver, period.

Unfortunately, I was never much of a crafter, but it seems you have to be in order to get gear.

I’m incredibly turned off at the moment.

- my kitten!

EDIT: For whatever reason, the youtube videos lose the time I link to, which is 1:36. “We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. Noone enjoys that, noone finds it fun.”

(edited by phooka.4295)

Rizzy.8293

I sense a lot of trolls in this forum…Rhongomyniad.5081….More like 15-30 mins. To get to lions arch from the south 75 area I spent about 10 mins running then used a WP.

This one, im not sure if mentally challenged or troll.

You are talking about a game with random aggro, if you pull 4 mobs, and they all target you instead of spread the damage, the 2’nd shot downs you, the 4th shot kills you. This can happen in less than 2 seconds. Plus no one knows these bosses yet, we wiped on the first boss in 3rd option explorer mode like 9 times before we happen to find the troll trying to pass him.

I understand you guys enjoy the game, and Im sure you were one of the people using CM runs over and over to stock pile gold. Thats fine, but not everyone had a chance to do that. Now there is a problem where half the people are filthy freakin rich, and the other half are dirt poor and can’t play the game.

Maybe hes not a good player and has never done a dungeon before and is talking like hes a good player and hoping that you buy his ruse.

Posted by: Softan.3907

Softan.3907

So what if that’s the case? I thought this game was made for everyone, even those that aren’t as skilled as other people. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer.

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

Fanboy

Exotic gear is by no means an upgrade to your damage output and survivorbility, it is only a 12 – 20 percent increase and therefore only used for aesthetic reasons.

But one thing fanboys an girls fail to realize 12 – 20 percent more damge ranges anywhere from 400 – 800 more BASE damage which is pretty significant.

And I said really, lets do it! lets form a party to do exploration dungeon in white gear to which they say if i can find people.

They make this kitten up swear its like a talking a wall accept a wall doesnt make stupid things up.

Exotic gear is the baseline equipment a level 80 should have to be efficient to have the 18 – 24k hp Hrouda expects us to have.
And right now with all the goldsinks theres no way for you to attain those unless you get gems

Well this is very odd indeed, you see I was able to obtain an exotic weapon while wearing lower than level 80 gear in some cases (amulet, rings) they were level 35. I’ll give you the absolute simplest way I can think of, which is what I did.

100% one of the Orr zones or frostgorge sounds. Make sure before you do to switch your crafting professions to weapon and armor smiths, you don’t have to level them. Cursed shore and frostgorge are very easy zones to 100%. Once complete you will get 40x crafting materials for whatever crafting profs you are. With the 2 smithings you will most likely get 40 orichalcum. That just about enough for a crafted exotic. Now of course you will need to either buy or farm the wood and whatever crafting material the stats require. But if you 100% another zone you can get another 40x ori and sell that to cover costs.

Rizzy.8293

Fanboy

Well this is very odd indeed, you see I was able to obtain an exotic weapon while wearing lower than level 80 gear in some cases (amulet, rings) they were level 35. I’ll give you the absolute simplest way I can think of, which is what I did.

100% one of the Orr zones or frostgorge sounds. Make sure before you do to switch your crafting professions to weapon and armor smiths, you don’t have to level them. Cursed shore and frostgorge are very easy zones to 100%. Once complete you will get 40x crafting materials for whatever crafting profs you are. With the 2 smithings you will most likely get 40 orichalcum. That just about enough for a crafted exotic. Now of course you will need to either buy or farm the wood and whatever crafting material the stats require. But if you 100% another zone you can get another 40x ori and sell that to cover costs.

Cool I’ll try that, thanks

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

Btw if that is the route you choose to go I am a 400 weaponsmith and if you’d like I can craft whatever after you gathered materials, I never charge anything. That is if you don’t know someone already.

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

If you think waypoint costs are bad…the TP is even worse. That POS is so ****ed up, I lost close to 6 gold yesterday selling mats. I go into the “sold” category and NONE of my stuff is there, yet I lost it all AND silver for posting it.

Honestly, this game is a serious case of “we’ll take your money and your time, but give you nothing in return”