Have we become spoiled?

Have we become spoiled?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I almost find it shocking the amount of threads that talk about how “boring” the game is or how it’s going in the wrong direction. I’ll be honest, last year when I played at launch, I kinda felt the same, like something was missing. I came back much later and found that not only was it a good game, but it was surpassing many standards I had for it in the first place.

It was my fault because I didn’t invest myself enough in the content and what the game had to offer, I was trying to play the game like WoW instead of playing it like it was Guild Wars 2 with fresh ideas. Granted I paid $60 for such a massive world to play in, branching story lines, and improved mechanics that gear towards team work, I absolutely got my money’s worth.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

I’ve become spoiled.

I tried to play WoW last month. I couldn’t stomach it. 5.2 content has been out since early March. Only thing that has changed was crappy ‘heroic’ scenarios that are kitten easy, and some daily quests in the Barrens.

GW2 has released 13 updates since then, compared to WoW’s 1 since March (had to look it up). Sure I may not be interested in everything that GW2 releases, but it’s still peaks my interest enough to log on an check everything out.

Oh, also I was a huge PvP-er in WoW. I tried queueing for a BG recently. After 9 minutes in queue, i just Alt+f4-ed. The game is no longer worth 15 dollars/month to me.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

We have. Arena Net is like a parent to us and we cry when we don’t get what we want.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

GWII is a game that definitely WILL spoil you.

But you probably won’t realize it until you play another MMO and remember all the quality of life features that you have gotten used to in GWII.

Beside that, forums like these are mostly visited by whiners. No matter what ArenaNet does they will find something to whine about.
Just to give you an example:

ArenaNet:“We are adding a LFG tool to the game”.
Forum users:“Finally, only had to wait a whole year”.

Forum users:“The world bosses are too easy and boring”.
ArenaNet:“We are revamping the world bosses so there will have to be a lot of coordination”.
Forum users:“This sucks, give me my free loot back”.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

We are definitely spoiled. There isn’t a single valid complaint in these forums.

Oceanic [LOD]

Have we become spoiled?

DrDivine.5378

I’ve become spoiled.

I tried to play WoW last month. I couldn’t stomach it. 5.2 content has been out since early March. Only thing that has changed was crappy ‘heroic’ scenarios that are kitten easy, and some daily quests in the Barrens.

GW2 has released 13 updates since then, compared to WoW’s 1 since March (had to look it up). Sure I may not be interested in everything that GW2 releases, but it’s still peaks my interest enough to log on an check everything out.

Oh, also I was a huge PvP-er in WoW. I tried queueing for a BG recently. After 9 minutes in queue, i just Alt+f4-ed. The game is no longer worth 15 dollars/month to me.

To Warcraft’s credit though, I do think the one thing they still do better is story telling. Guild Wars 2 has some pretty good story archs and interesting characters, but the cinematics of WoW and how serious their plots can get actually kept me invested longer than I thought. Even Cataclysm, a huge step backwards, had an excellent set up for Deathwing.

I really like though how I can just jump in and out of this game whenever I want. With Warcraft, I always felt I had to play EVERY day just so I could get my money’s worth. Now, we have an MMO that gives us surprisingly deep content all of which are free forever after you buy the game.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

In forums if there is a balance between positive and negative comments that is the norm. But when it turns mostly negative there is something definitely wrong with the direction of the game.

The “free” excuse can’t be used anymore. Most of the MMOs on my computer are free (PlanetSide 2, FireFall, Rift, Secret World, SWTOR, Neverwinter, Tera) etc.

People expect a lot from all MMOs, just not GW2. Problem is I think GW2 might have promised a little more than they can actually deliver.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

That’s not really all that true. I think you’ll find the majority of official forums of ANY game slant to the negative, especially if they are a “AAA” title.

Have we become spoiled?

DrDivine.5378

That’s not really all that true. I think you’ll find the majority of official forums of ANY game slant to the negative, especially if they are a “AAA” title.

That’s actually very true, people tend to lean towards griping about any negative aspects of a game. This can be useful in the form of constructive criticism, but most of the time it’s not the case.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

We have. Arena Net is like a parent to us and we cry when we don’t get what we want.

Exactly.

Then people threaten by “I will no longer play…” lines when their “wants” are not met.

Most people here are like 12 year olds wanting the latest iPhone.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

I’ve become spoiled.

To Warcraft’s credit though, I do think the one thing they still do better is story telling. Guild Wars 2 has some pretty good story archs and interesting characters, but the cinematics of WoW and how serious their plots can get actually kept me invested longer than I thought. Even Cataclysm, a huge step backwards, had an excellent set up for Deathwing.

I really like though how I can just jump in and out of this game whenever I want. With Warcraft, I always felt I had to play EVERY day just so I could get my money’s worth. Now, we have an MMO that gives us surprisingly deep content all of which are free forever after you buy the game.

WoW’s story is probably better (OPINION), but GW2 keeps me more interested in theirs.

Why? The majority of WoW’s lore is told through quest text. Many players don’t know why they’re doing the things they’re doing in WoW. Many probably can’t tell you why the end raid bosses are being killed.

At least in GW2 most everything is voice acted, and released every 2 weeks. Plus I much prefer reading a short story with every update, rather than reading quest text on why I have to kill 10 rabbits.

But I think the majority of MMORPGs have poor story telling all-in-all. Each has their own thing that they do different that different people prefer.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

No, I’m not spoiled. Either Anet is the laziest company I have ever seen, or they realistically don’t know how to deal with an mmorpg that they can call “theirs”. The ridiculous amount of bugs in this game nearly makes me sick to my stomach. We’re 1 year into the game and there are still bugs left over from beta that haven’t been fixed, and they’re giant. Most recently, I complained multiple times about my sound vanishing when I enter a zone or talk to an npc, and it still has not been fixed after 3 weeks.

Moreover, they don’t take responsibility for the bugs they do create. I didn’t get my money back for a glitch that made it disappear when I used the tp because Anet said they never had a record of that happening.

The Living Story is also a poor sight to behold nowadays. Sure, the mini-games that must come with the LS are fun, but the actual LS is garbage in my opinion. It seems like Anet literally took a bunch of blank cards, wrote down random ideas for a living story, and are drawing them every two weeks. And the content they do come up with is recycled over and over again. Go fetch x. Now go press f 200 times on these. Now go find x amount of npcs. I want to smack my face into my keyboard repeatedly every time I see the new LS achievement list. I know the LS is free, but it feels like another daily or monthly, except that it comes every two weeks and takes 3 more hours. It feels like a mindless chore is what I’m getting at.

I can feel that Anet is not doing the best they can do when it comes to this stuff, so why should I feel grateful for practically unfinished, recycled content?

I don’t expect massive content updates every two weeks. I don’t expect new land to pop up out of nowhere. I don’t expect new classes, races, or anything else like that. All I expect is variety… and so far, Anet hasn’t been doing much of that at all. Keep in mind, Anet is a company which means that they want to find the fastest ways possible to make money and ways to keep that money flowing. They want to come up with the cheapest, easiest content updates that keep you happy while they can still rake in money.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Have we become spoiled?

DrDivine.5378

No, I’m not spoiled. Either Anet is the laziest company I have ever seen, or they realistically don’t know how to deal with an mmorpg that they can call “theirs”. The ridiculous amount of bugs in this game nearly makes me sick to my stomach. We’re 1 year into the game and there are still bugs left over from beta that haven’t been fixed, and they’re giant. Most recently, I complained multiple times about my sound vanishing when I enter a zone or talk to an npc, and it still has not been fixed after 3 weeks.

Moreover, they don’t take responsibility for the bugs they do create. I didn’t get my money back for a glitch that made it disappear when I used the tp because Anet said they never had a record of that happening.

The Living Story is also a poor sight to behold nowadays. Sure, the mini-games that must come with the LS are fun, but the actual LS is garbage in my opinion. It seems like Anet literally took a bunch of blank cards, wrote down random ideas for a living story, and are drawing them every two weeks. And the content they do come up with is recycled over and over again. Go fetch x. Now go press f 200 times on these. Now go find x amount of npcs. I want to smack my face into my keyboard repeatedly every time I see the new LS achievement list. I know the LS is free, but it feels like another daily or monthly, except that it comes every two weeks and takes 3 more hours. It feels like a mindless chore is what I’m getting at.

I can feel that Anet is not doing the best they can do when it comes to this stuff, so why should I feel grateful for practically unfinished, recycled content?

I don’t expect massive content updates every two weeks. I don’t expect new land to pop up out of nowhere. I don’t expect new classes, races, or anything else like that. All I expect is variety… and so far, Anet hasn’t been doing much of that at all. Keep in mind, Anet is a company which means that they want to find the fastest ways possible to make money and ways to keep that money flowing. They want to come up with the cheapest, easiest content updates that keep you happy while they can still rake in money.

The same can be said for Bethesda, as Skyrim suffers numerous, horrible glitches that were never fixed two years from it’s release including many that often stop game progression completely. However, glitches are to be expected from a large game. In Guild Wars 2, I am nearly capped to 80 and haven’t experienced any technical difficulties except for the occasional time where the black lion trading company doesn’t work.

Calling Anet the laziest company ever is a bit extreme, they created a massive MMO with the idea of making it playable for everyone. If the game is this unsatisfying to you at such an extreme degree, perhaps selling your account will help you acquire your money’s worth back.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I am mindful of several things. The game in beta and at/after launch was a lot of fun for me. Since, there are some things that ANet has done to the game that I have enjoyed, and some that I haven’t. Since November, the direction that they’ve taken the game has been disappointing for me. At the end of the day, though, I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

What I won’t be doing is spending any more money unless they change their approach. It would be silly to expect them to change if they don’t know what I object to, so I tell them in these forums. If they change, I’ll consider supporting them, if they don’t I won’t. For the record, that’s not being spoiled, that’s exercising the only option a consumer has when s/he is unhappy with what a company is offering.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I can’t agree that GW2 players are spoiled. Many that post here are certainly DISAPPOINTED (and not for no reason), but I certainly wouldn’t call them spoiled or entitled or whatever the current buzzword is.

I will say that I think that there’s a fair share of unreasonable criticism, and that it has a tendency to drown out the rational criticism; but sadly that’s something painfully common in official forums of pretty much every MMO ever to exist.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Yes GW2 spoiled me.I don’t think i can go back to WoW even if i wanted to.
No holy trinity is great for me.Before i was a dedicated healer and now i’m fine with what GW2 offers me.
Also no maintance,instant patches,No waiting in queue to enter the home server or when i’m in instance and patch pop-ups I’m not being kicked from the game for 3 hours?What more can i ask for??
Up-down scaling?The world will keep being fresh.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

id change spoiled with disappointed.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

I only miss a good story that really thrills me here, and some technical optimizations, then I’m completly satisfied.

Currently the stories we can participate in suck, and the way those stories are told suck even harder.

Have we become spoiled?

DrDivine.5378

I only miss a good story that really thrills me here, and some technical optimizations, then I’m completly satisfied.

Currently the stories we can participate in suck, and the way those stories are told suck even harder.

Story telling has never really been Guild Wars’ strong point, although it’s passable and not bad by any means, it’s not quite as gripping as Warcraft’s approach. While Warcraft tends to go towards a more serious approach, Guild Wars 2 feels comfortable with adding humor, which works sometimes, but not all the time.

It’s not that I’m against giving a game criticism, but like a work of art, it has to be constructive criticism. I detest a lot of these threads that just say “this game is boring” without giving any real reason why they think that. There still a few posts I see where there are people who actually make suggestions on what needs to improved without hating the game as a whole.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I don’t know if we’re spoiled necessarily. I just think that there are a lot of really unhappy human beings that gravitate towards MMO’s. I definitely have seen in the past in my own life that when I was unhappy or depressed about something, MMO’s became less about entertainment and more about escaping reality. This didn’t solve the problem however, so it got worse and worse.

GW2 is actually the first MMO that I’ve ever played that couldn’t be classified as an addiction or a coping mechanism, and unfortunately (for me), that’s probably due more to the way its designed than my maturity as a human being. Of course, on a personal level I’m a dad now, so my wife would kill me if I allowed one of the hardcore MMO’s to get under my skin again.

That all being said, I see a lot of the unhappy, argumentative, dissatisfied whining going on in GW2 that I was guilty of during my years of MMO addiction. It takes one to know one, as the saying goes.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Not spoiled, just disappointed.

I think a lot of disappointment could be taken away just if players would understand why certain things are done and why others aren’t. But the only kind of Anet response you’ll get on the forums is “we’re looking into it”, “we’d really like to do that” and “I can’t say anything about that”.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

That is definitely a part of it too. There are some things about GW2 that just feel wrong. The zhaitan fight is horrendous, for example. Its the biggest fight of game, built up through the whole story, and then….. that. There are still gaps in the mission where they took the mobs out. So you’re just sitting on a ship, flying… for like, literally minutes. Not even fighting anything. And then you never even fight the dragon. They’ve got all these epic fights against dragons in game, and they couldn’t instance one? Hell, the claw island fight was better than the final battle. And your reward is a rare weapon. Actually the end cinematics and everybody cheering for you is really well done. But one of the NPC’s in the instance where you pick up your rare weapon has a spelling error in her text and spells the word just like "jsut"or something, and your just like… seriously? Also, the lack of player housing is pathetic. I mean, c’mon. Assassins creed has player housing, GTA has player housing, and they’re console games. ffxi had player housing and it came out in 2004.

Oops…… there I go again, acting dissatisfied! I better go have some coffee.

(edited by Tagus Eleuthera.7305)

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Dungeon/fractal runners are simply spoiled way too often. Something needs to be done with that.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Game content isn’t so difficult to make. Repeatable end game content is very difficult to make properly and this is where the problem lies. You can play the game fine but when you repeat it more and more the cracks begin to show. The longer you wait for solutions the more disappointing it gets. It’s the same for all MMOs.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

To be fair, the lfg tool should have been in when the game was release. Think about this, if gw2lfg.com didn’t exist, we would still be stuck spamming shouts in LA. I’m pretty sure gw2lfg saved gw2 many many many customers from quitting in frustration.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I think the biggest problem here is that “some” people expect GW2 to give them ALL their entertainments. In a game that specifically keeps the focus OFF grinding (for the most part) and as a core design that is VERY hard for any game company to do.

Fact is people just get bored of stuff even if it is the best thing that they have ever done. Like the saying goes “too much of a good thing is not a good thing”. Wait is that a saying or did I just create it? :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

MMO players are the most spoiled out of all gamers.

But in all the MMOs I have played I have never seen a more spoiled fanbase than GW2.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Have we become spoiled?

Paulytnz.7619

But in all the MMOs I have played I have never seen a more spoiled fanbase than GW2.

I wouldn’t call the players here spoiled. Being spoiled is always the fault of the person who does the spoiling of the persons that are spoiled (as in parents who let their kids do anything they want or get everything they want).

Now people that come to these forums just to hate on the game or to troll would you say that is Anet’s fault? No they are not spoiled and this is NOT the most spoiled fanbase at all. If anything they are whiny or giving perfectly valid constructive feedback.

Well actually it could be said that we are the most spoiled but that would be speaking of those that DO NOT come to the forums to complain because they are perfectly happy with the game. So in that context it would be a good thing. :P

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Have we become spoiled?

knives.6345

I wouldn’t call the players here spoiled. Being spoiled is always the fault of the person who does the spoiling of the persons that are spoiled (as in parents who let their kids do anything they want or get everything they want).

Now people that come to these forums just to hate on the game or to troll would you say that is Anet’s fault? No they are not spoiled and this is NOT the most spoiled fanbase at all.

Well actually it could be said that we are the most spoiled but that would be speaking of those that DO NOT come to the forums to complain because they are perfectly happy with the game. So in that context it would be a good thing. :P

I respectfully disagree.

Most people posting here are spoiled. All I can see is “I want…”, “I want this now…”, “I want this fast…”, “I want less work…”.

That’s how most posts translate for me. It could be just me but I think I could name a few (not link a few) topics that commonly imply “I want…”.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Now people that come to these forums just to hate on the game or to troll would you say that is Anet’s fault? No they are not spoiled and this is NOT the most spoiled fanbase at all.

I respectfully disagree.

Most people posting here are spoiled. All I can see is “I want…”, “I want this now…”, “I want this fast…”, “I want less work…”.

That’s how most posts translate for me. It could be just me but I think I could name a few (not link a few) topics that commonly imply “I want…”.

I am going to have to respectfully disagree. There is nothing inherently spoiled about having and expressing wants.

Have we become spoiled?

Paulytnz.7619

I respectfully disagree.

Perhaps you are right, maybe I just ignore all those whiny posts more than other people do. But still, I wouldn’t blame Anet for it.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Spoiled may not be the right term, as Paul points out. Generally being spoiled is due to the parent or parental figure giving in. Although, perhaps we do have some instances of this, so maybe a little of the blame could fall on anet.

Still, I feel the vast majority of the issue simple boils down to player attitudes. Many of the people on here are very ego centric, many I would (and have) compare to poorly disciplined toddlers throwing tantrums because Daddy Anet didn’t give them their way.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Have we become spoiled?

knives.6345

I respectfully disagree.

Perhaps you are right, maybe I just ignore all those whiny posts more than other people do. But still, I wouldn’t blame Anet for it.

I don’t wholly blame ANet to. Gamers this generation are much much different than the ones on the past. I can say the same for Games and companies that makes games.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Partially..?

It’s more like, some players are more spoiled than others because what they want is more widely available. I can tell you now, players of PVE get much more than WvW players. You only need the last two patches to see this.

Engineers are certainly the least spoiled class, with broken footfalls on weapon kits, back pieces disappearing on weapon kits, lack of variety on weapon kit animation with legendaries and skins, along with the stupid RNG dependant skillset (for elixirs), with Elementalists close enough behind (Luckily they largely don’t suffer from that) Mesmers have the best utility on the game, and are visually stunning. Warriors have the best weapon visual appeal (5 Legendaries, 7 if you include Underwaters, and so many weapon skins.).

Don’t forget, in a game of aesthetics and visual end game, Visual beauty is like the most important thing to look forward to

I ? Karkas.

(edited by Seven Star Stalker.1740)

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

with all the new content and all the stuff to do all the time it is overwhelming, which is a good thing I guess I mean come on! every 2 weeks there’s some good drama unfolding, new stuff, new tricks, new this new that. Ya all the endless stuff anet is making me do to try and keep up with everything. I don’t think there is another game out there that can say the same thing.

Thanks Anet for continuing to re-define MMO in a good way.

Sincerly, Me.

Have we become spoiled?

Paulytnz.7619

with all the new content and all the stuff to do all the time it is overwhelming, which is a good thing I guess I mean come on! every 2 weeks there’s some good drama unfolding, new stuff, new tricks, new this new that. Ya all the endless stuff anet is making me do to try and keep up with everything. I don’t think there is another game out there that can say the same thing.

Thanks Anet for continuing to re-define MMO in a good way.

Well tbh Runescape had been giving updates every 2 weeks for the last so many years when I last played it. Recently I heard they now do it weekly. O.O

Their content is a lot more varied too BUT this is my game now so we will forget I even said any of that. :P

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

In forums if there is a balance between positive and negative comments that is the norm. But when it turns mostly negative there is something definitely wrong with the direction of the game.

That is just not true. There are always 80-90% negative feedback on most public forums for any public forum. By nature people will easily complain when they don’t like something but will rarely take the time to comment when they are satisfied.

Forums bring out the complainers in droves. Mostly negative comments is the norm not an indication of “wrong direction” in anything. If comments were balanced with negative and positive as you said, that would be something that would be weird.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

I couldnt agree more with OP, whenever you feel like GW2 is a “bad” game try and play any other MMO, I bet 90% of the people will come back in less than 2hrs

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

I’ve become spoiled.

First off, I’m confused how you couldn’t stomach a few barrens quests or a bg queue (which btw will never take 9 mins if you are lvl 90.) but you can easily handle all the garbage LS content? Spam F 200 times? Do you not remember anything ANet has released? At least 10 x worse than WoW quests, and btw Blizz just let out a ton of new raid content and a new zone that will last a billion times longer than some temporary garbage in GW2.

WoW has already copied or already had every single GW2 feature(lol) so they aren’t unique anymore. Blizz is smart, they aren’t afraid to take a good idea and implement it. ANet on the other hand…. enjoy your zergzergzerg ‘living story’ more like living grind.

This game is terrible right now and it’s sad because it has the most potential out of any MMO out there. Or should I say HAD? The GW1 ship sailed long ago.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

I’ve become spoiled.

First off, I’m confused how you couldn’t stomach a few barrens quests or a bg queue (which btw will never take 9 mins if you are lvl 90.) but you can easily handle all the garbage LS content? Spam F 200 times? Do you not remember anything ANet has released? At least 10 x worse than WoW quests, and btw Blizz just let out a ton of new raid content and a new zone that will last a billion times longer than some temporary garbage in GW2.

WoW has already copied or already had every single GW2 feature(lol) so they aren’t unique anymore. Blizz is smart, they aren’t afraid to take a good idea and implement it. ANet on the other hand…. enjoy your zergzergzerg ‘living story’ more like living grind.

This game is terrible right now and it’s sad because it has the most potential out of any MMO out there.

you mean you can still do normal quests? not too long ago i went and tried Tera, all those lame kitten quest drove me away in less than an hour.

“LS garbage” looks like you dont like LS, for me it is fun and convenient

WoW can indeed copy as many features as they want, but at its core is still an old classic MMO, is that bad? not really, I know people that still love the classic style and can’t stand GW2’s style.

“this game is terrible” more like “I dont like this game and I shouldn’t be here”

Have we become spoiled?

Mathias.9657

Terra is trash and has the most boring questing in any MMO to date so I can understand that.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Lynx Rufus Californicus.2958

Lynx Rufus Californicus.2958

Beside that, forums like these are mostly visited by whiners. No matter what ArenaNet does they will find something to whine about.

And sadly, anyone who comes in to the forums with anything that even looks like praise is mostly shouted down by all the self-entitled complainers.

Let’s face it. The grousers and complainers gain traction because of the simple fact that there are so few voices of reason to counter them. I hate to admit it, but it’s one of the main reasons why I post so little here. Why should I – or for that matter, any reasonable person – subject themselves to the abuse of a crowd of self-important gloryhounds? I left that drama behind in high school, or so I thought. I’m working on changing that, though. If we want the forums to be anything other than a gripefest, those of us with good things to say need to post more.

The levels of abuse heaped on anyone with anything nice to say about the game, the development team, or any other positivity about the experience we do have is patently absurd; I commend those who dwell here, especially the devteam who must constantly be bombarded with so much negative nonsense around the work – yes, WORK – they’ve put into this that they must constantly battle walking on their morale.

Have we become spoiled?

Paulytnz.7619

Yup they “work” so that we can “play”. People seem to forget that, sure they play as well but not as much as they work on the game I can bet you.

Have we become spoiled?

Mathias.9657

It’s not that there are few voices of reason to counter the trash talk, but few reasons.

If ANet paid attention to the constant gripes and change the game accordingly we wouldn’t see the same threads pop up 24/7 saying the same exact things.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

The following things are cuasing disruption in gameplay

1. Those of us with hours to kill into this game (5-7+hrs), have done the same content over and over, so we’re always looking for something new

2. The Extrinsic values of the game are tied to gold, not skill progression

3. Skinners Box Theory, we’re not getting the rewards we want no matter how many times we hit that button

4. Storytelling, we haven’t advanced after zaithan

5. The intrinsic value of the game have long since been gone. We’ve got a new villian that has no internal background, you have to go to blogs and officials post to learn about scarlet. We still don’t understand where she’s recruiting these massive numbers of people for her agenda.

(edited by Charak.9761)

Have we become spoiled?

Xcom.1926

This is what happens with a lot of MMOs, especially MMOs with high expectations. It is not spoiled but more disappointment. Which is why hype is not good for MMOs. Players get disappointed if you hype the game to levels in which it can’t react expectations (See Manifesto)

First in forums it is the honeymoon phase, before launch and right after launch everyone loves the game.

Then comes most positivity and some negativity.

Then it is half negative and half positive.

Eventually negativity takes over the forums.

Then players tell others to stop complaining and tells them things like they are spoiled.
See: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=487853

Soon people telling others to stop complaining go away, and the forums are all negative.

Eventually all the people that complain quit the game. And the forum becomes more of a niche community of people that mostly like the game.

At the end of the day it is bad for the game regardless. I do think complains have something behind them. I disagree that all forums are 90% negative though. The WoW forums for example are half positive/half negative. Don’t believe me, take a look yourself.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/984270/

(edited by Xcom.1926)

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

Yeah, my cousins told me to come and play tera with them and I created a sorcerer, they can’t attack while moving (they can with some skills, very few), they don’t have traits, and they only use 1 weapon, the quests are mostly kill X monster, very basic, and the combat isn’t even that fun, I got him to level 16 and quit.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Have we become spoiled?

Xcom.1926

Yeah, my cousins told me to come and play tera with them and I created a sorcerer, they can’t attack while moving (they can with some skills, very few), they don’t have traits, and they only use 1 weapon, the quests are mostly kill X monster, very basic, and the combat isn’t even that fun, I got him to level 16 and quit.

The stop while casting is a balance mechanism, which most action combat games have. Including games like Diablo, God of War and most other action games including fighting games (Street Fighter).

They do that because of risk/reward mechanic which GW2 struggles with. Without risk/reward your combat becomes a random button mash with no consequences for your mistakes.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Offense-vs-punishment-risk-vs-reward/

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

The only thing I miss about GW2 when I play other games is casting magic while on the move.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

If you mean experienced better systems of rewards from games that actually care whether they’re players are grinding for advancement or not then yes I have been spoiled by better systems better design.

Essentially what they’ve traded the loot problems people were having before with is not locked account bound items that you have to farm and craft to progress. It’s basically the same system but doesn’t require much gold in this new layout (unless you look into leveling your crafting both from 1-400 or 400-500 both are costly as heck!) so it’s really not an improvement they could have done better and there are better systems of advancement out there in the mmo genre that A: don’t affect the single currency exchange/auction house, and B: don’t get tangled up in the game’s shop but C: still allows for plenty of in game gameplay that’s fun and personalized so that you don’t actually grind because the drops are high enough to make a difference quickly most of the time.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!