in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Entitled, is the word I’d choose.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It’s not that there are few voices of reason to counter the trash talk, but few reasons.

If ANet paid attention to the constant gripes and change the game accordingly we wouldn’t see the same threads pop up 24/7 saying the same exact things.

There would just be new complaints is all. Seen it for 5+ years before on other games forums. No matter how great a game can be/gets someone will ALWAYS find a reason to complain.

Besides if Anet "changed the game accordingly " they could still not please everyone because it’s impossible. Some people like some things one way another group will like it the other way etc. Impossible.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s not that there are few voices of reason to counter the trash talk, but few reasons.

If ANet paid attention to the constant gripes and change the game accordingly we wouldn’t see the same threads pop up 24/7 saying the same exact things.

There would just be new complaints is all. Seen it for 5+ years before on other games forums. no matter how great a game can be/gets someone will ALWAYS find a reason to complain.

Besides if Anet "changed the game accordingly " they could still not please everyone because it’s impossible. Some people like some things one way another group will like it the other way etc. Impossible.

If they changed the game accordingly apologized publically for not making the game the manifesto and the other numerous interviews that the devs put out and setup a non-grind system of advancement with only1 tier, then they’d actually get back the majority of the players they lost post November 2012 when people got tired of being hyped and not receiving what they were told they were going to get for their $60.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

There would just be new complaints is all. Seen it for 5+ years before on other games forums. no matter how great a game can be/gets someone will ALWAYS find a reason to complain.

If they changed the game accordingly apologized publically for not making the game the manifesto and the other numerous interviews that the devs put out and setup a non-grind system of advancement with only1 tier, then they’d actually get back the majority of the players they lost post November 2012 when people got tired of being hyped and not receiving what they were told they were going to get for their $60.

Well I got everything so far for my $120 and more so. And yes when I say 120 that’s what I paid because of exchange rates and the stupid government taxes we have here. Not to mention the hundreds I have likely spent on top of that in the gem store.

What grind system is there exactly that you have to do to “advance” anywhere? Only grinding is if you want to lvl crafts or make legendary/ascended. You don’t have to do any of that to enjoy 99% of the game at all.

I should say many of the players they lost would be the ones that spend far too much time here and need/expect more of a grind feature. I would expect a very, very small % have quit because things are not EXACTLY as the manifesto promised. But you have to expect things can’t or wont always turn out as they are first thought/said/promised. Things change and sometimes you just have to change with them.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Celestial.4381

Celestial.4381

As someone who came to this game from other MMOs moreso than from the original Guild Wars (although I did play that game on and off for a bit), I will say that there are many gameplay and QoL features that make GW2 better for ME than a lot of other games I’ve played. So in that respect, I do think that this game has spoiled me :-P . I never read the much-bandied-about “Manifesto” and didn’t really follow any of the other pre-release hype, but regardless of whether or not the game is exactly what the developers promised it would be a year+ ago, I do enjoy it for what it is NOW. Not that I don’t think there are areas that could stand improvement, of course, but some games take a few years to reach their stride and again, we’re still just over a year in.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Spoiled by WHAT??….

All of the content we’ve gotten so far (with the only exception being S.A.B.) is all PVE-ONLY Zerg-Farming grease that requires Zerker’s gear to the specific exclusion of every other Stat set the game shipped with or tried to add. …Along with that, lots of existing content that WAS GOOD, got bugged and damaged by their “2 week” schedules and rushed QA.

How can we be “spoiled” by cheap meaningless content like that which damages the reputation and basic functionality of the original content we bought the game for in the first place??

The premise of this thread could be analogized by us buying a $6 Deluxe Hamburger and savoring a few first bites only to suddenly be interrupted by the Fry-dunker hobbling out and dumping hot oil on it (that he probably spit in) and then some Paul(a) Deen at a nearby table calls us “Spoiled” when he notices the puzzlement and disgust written across our face…

(edited by ilr.9675)

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Captain Bulldozer.9028

Captain Bulldozer.9028

WoW players who play GW2 are spoiled by GW2 to the point of WoW not being much fun anymore. That is as it should be… what should NOT be the case nearly as much as it is, is that GW2 players who played GW1 feel spoiled by GW1 (and therefor disappointed by GW2). When you’ve already seen that a company can do better than what they’re currently doing, you can’t reasonably blame people for complaining.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I taste vomit whenever i read that word these days. Likely because certain political pundists throw it around whenever the topic of welfare comes up…

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

Anet should spoon-feed me until I am 123 years old.

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: The Stain.4169

The Stain.4169

It is definitely in the nature of forums like this to tend to be negative. When people are happy they play the game and remain silent. They only tend to speak up (or post) when kitten ed off.

GW2 is the first MMO game I have played, so I am a bit lacking in perspective as to whether we are “spoiled”.

Someone earlier in this thread said that there is not a single legitimate complaint in this forum. Seriously? That comment is ridiculous…

My only complaint “theme” is regarding the constant changes Anet makes that I do not believe are aimed at improving gameplay….but rather to improve the long term profitability of the game. You can always identify these sorts of changes, because they are never announced or explained…they just happen. Then, no matter how much complaining takes place, Anet will never comment on the changes or why they were made. The recent karma nerf is a perfect example. Players participate in the game for months with a basic understanding what efforts earn what reward within the game, and how best to allocate the resources they earn. Then Anet yanks out the rug…without warning or comment…and changes the basic dynamics of the game. No one can possibly believe that sort of thing makes the game better from a player standpoint, and it is a given that it will kitten players off.

Anet certainly needs (and deserves) to make money off the game, and if these sorts of changes accomplish that I am sure they will continue. But I don’t think it is the best way of doing business…and I am getting tired of it. When I have had enough and move on to another game, it will be because of Anet’s constant covert attempts to manipulate us and the way we play the game.

But I don’t know if we are “spoiled” here. Maybe this sort of thing takes place in other MMOs to an even greater extent. I wouldn’t know.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

No, you’d just have an entirely different group of people griping about the changes made 24/7 while you would be happily playing.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Someone earlier in this thread said that there is not a single legitimate complaint in this forum. Seriously? That comment is ridiculous…

I was hoping it sounded ridiculous enough to tell it was sarcasm. It was a reference to certain posters in this forum jumping on every single negative opinion posted.

see what I mean?

Oceanic [LOD]

(edited by Wukunlin.8461)

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

From my personal perspective, I tried a few other mmos with little to no luck of retaining me. GW2 was still a better game to me despite its flaws. However, once I played ffxiv, I never looked back. There are so many things the game did RIGHT this time and some more minor things it didn’t but can be overlooked.

For example, the crafting system in ffxiv is amazing. It’s so amazing that there are people who want to play as pure crafter only. In fact, it’s most amazing point is it’s actually profitable to craft! making it a viable option to actually play as a “class”.

What it didn’t do as good is the trading post system or the banking system. GW2 is superior in these two aspects. The TP was extremely well designed and the bank was very very user friendly.

What didn’t gw2 get right? The story for one was very poorly presented. The story in itself if you paid super close attention may actually be somewhat appealing but the way it was DELIVERED was very very poor.

Trying to please everyone, another problem I think gw2 did not get right. Trying to please players from two different genres is just not right. To be honest, I never really care if a game is going to have grind or it’s going to introduce new tiers every few months. What I care about is what a game told me they’ll be and I go in and then they change everything they said they would be. I have no issue with playing trinity or not or having gear grind because I knowingly started playing knowing that. I only get annoyed if i’m 3 months in and then you say we’re changing everything completely.

LFG tool – I said this before and i’ll say it again. How can a game like gw2, in the 2012, not start off with an LFG tool. This was definitely an oversight on Anet’s part and it took them 1 year to fix it. As I said before, gw2lfg really saved anet many customers from huge outcries of frustration else we’ll still be spamming chats in LA for hours for a group in arah p4 in our low population server.

Coming back to the question of the OP, have we become spoiled?

Yes and no. Are you spoiled now that you have clean water running out of every tap in your house instead of having to hike a mile to the closest well. Are you spoiled that your mum drives you to school instead of having to walk there? Is it “normal” or “entitled” or “spoiled” to expect clean running water to flow out of your taps or products to be not expired in the supermarket?

As mmorpgs grow, there is a certain level of expectation that comes with a game, this is natural and us consumers have every right to compare cross-game feature to another. If a game wants to compete on fair grounds with another and future upcoming games, they will have to be able to offer the same or better features as others given that this feature is within their manifesto.

At the end of the day, change doesn’t come if you suck it up and stay quiet while enduring something which you may have believed should have been done differently. Despite the negative feedback on negative feedback (lol), it is feedback (ideally constructive) that brings about change.

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Yes and no. Are you spoiled now that you have clean water running out of every tap in your house instead of having to hike a mile to the closest well. Are you spoiled that your mum drives you to school instead of having to walk there? Is it “normal” or “entitled” or “spoiled” to expect clean running water to flow out of your taps or products to be not expired in the supermarket?

Well that depends. Do you demand that your mother buys a limousine to drive you around, now that you are used to your typical family car?

Many GW2 complainers are doing just that. They throw a tantrum for meaningless reasons and threaten to quit school.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

As far as I care ANET has delivered their promise. They let me play at my own pace and I can always find the content that I like among many that they have to offer. My only complaint would be the building lag which I feel recently during the crowded events. But nothing stops me playing from time to time.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

If Anet paid attention to the constant gripes we would have a mess of a game.

“Why is Zhaitan in an instance? It should have been an epic world boss where we have hundred of players taking him on at once!”

“Why is Tequatl an open world boss? He should have been put in an instance!”

“There is no endgame progression. Aesthetics are not compelling enough for players to continue playing past endgame.”

“There is too much gear grind. Anet should not have introduced Ascended gear.”

“The bosses are too easy. I just stand there and press #1.”

“Why is Tequatl so hard? Now everyone is going to just ignore that content.”

There is a fine line between getting player feedback and pandering to everyone. I say Anet should just develop whatever the hell they want. If they fail, at least the responsibility is theirs to shoulder.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I think a lot of players don’t understand what Spoiled means… And it seriously doesn’t fit with this game.

Guildwars 1 players were spoilt for choice, which is why so many complaints exist in the second version.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

spoiled? spoiled by what exactly? you get spoiled when you receive good amount of free and high quality content, then that dev releases an expansion for $40, you buy it and even tho the quality is there, you are unhappy because you’ve been receiving this kind of quality for free but now had to pay for it… Anet doesn’t release quality free content, anet releases free content that does nothing else but lure you to their gem store and the ‘quality’ in their free content isn’t something known to them very well. No one is spoiled with their bs festivals and kiddy/fluffy additions, more like annoyed to the point of asking themselves if this thing will ever change or this is the future of gw2 until servers shut down. Spoiled—— i’m so spoiled for receiving content that makes me vote for a freaking npc in a video game that gives me zero advantages worth mentioning or an addition of 3 trillion more Hp to one dragon… spoiled, don’t make me laugh with your spoiling thingy.

Some may say free content>nothing but i’d say old content+fix the billion bugs in this game>new trash content aimed at i dunno whom.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

To be fair, there’s always supposed to a basic level entitlement; for example, Tequatl loot. Noones really going to spend fifteen minutes on nicely design, effort implemented high level content if they’re just going to get a bunch of greens, a couple of medallions and a porous bone. That’s not entitlement when you’re asking for better drops. If you make content, it had to be reward in accordance to it’s difficulty.

Then you also have.. I don’t have the word, but these are really small things that could go A LONG way. For example. Assume somone logged on today, used a Hair styling kit. A few hours later, they check the forums after playing for the day. They find out there’s new hair coming tommorow. By no means should ANet HAVE TO GIVE them a new hair kit, or refund the other one. But if they did, that player, unless he’s a real prick, will remember that and those small things are what will lead to people actually defending the other good things in the game, and overall motivate players here and there.

One thing I really think LoL did well, was they connected to the player base by being enormously active on the forums. I still remember getting an art piece of a champion from one of the game artists who conceptualised her, and I still have it to this day. That was a really nice week for me personally 0:

I ? Karkas.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I’ve become spoiled.

I tried to play WoW last month. I couldn’t stomach it. 5.2 content has been out since early March. Only thing that has changed was crappy ‘heroic’ scenarios that are kitten easy, and some daily quests in the Barrens.

GW2 has released 13 updates since then, compared to WoW’s 1 since March (had to look it up). Sure I may not be interested in everything that GW2 releases, but it’s still peaks my interest enough to log on an check everything out.

Oh, also I was a huge PvP-er in WoW. I tried queueing for a BG recently. After 9 minutes in queue, i just Alt+f4-ed. The game is no longer worth 15 dollars/month to me.

First off, I’m confused how you couldn’t stomach a few barrens quests or a bg queue (which btw will never take 9 mins if you are lvl 90.) but you can easily handle all the garbage LS content? Spam F 200 times? Do you not remember anything ANet has released? At least 10 x worse than WoW quests, and btw Blizz just let out a ton of new raid content and a new zone that will last a billion times longer than some temporary garbage in GW2.

WoW has already copied or already had every single GW2 feature(lol) so they aren’t unique anymore. Blizz is smart, they aren’t afraid to take a good idea and implement it. ANet on the other hand…. enjoy your zergzergzerg ‘living story’ more like living grind.

This game is terrible right now and it’s sad because it has the most potential out of any MMO out there.

you mean you can still do normal quests? not too long ago i went and tried Tera, all those lame kitten quest drove me away in less than an hour.

“LS garbage” looks like you dont like LS, for me it is fun and convenient

WoW can indeed copy as many features as they want, but at its core is still an old classic MMO, is that bad? not really, I know people that still love the classic style and can’t stand GW2’s style.

“this game is terrible” more like “I dont like this game and I shouldn’t be here”

This is either your honest opinion or you’re not looking at these objectively.

I would personally rather do old fashion quests over having to do any more hearts and boring DE’s to level my alt right now.

They’re really not that different, don’t pretend it’s that much better than old fashion quests… WoW quests especially have a ton of fun gimmicks and variety where as every Event is just : kill this same wave of generic mobs with the same 5 abilities over and over lol.

I’m sick of one, and haven’t had the other in a long time, so of course I’d rather pick WoW quests over this ATM, but that’s just because variety is good.

Have we become spoiled?

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’ve become spoiled.

I tried to play WoW last month. I couldn’t stomach it. 5.2 content has been out since early March. Only thing that has changed was crappy ‘heroic’ scenarios that are kitten easy, and some daily quests in the Barrens.

GW2 has released 13 updates since then, compared to WoW’s 1 since March (had to look it up). Sure I may not be interested in everything that GW2 releases, but it’s still peaks my interest enough to log on an check everything out.

Oh, also I was a huge PvP-er in WoW. I tried queueing for a BG recently. After 9 minutes in queue, i just Alt+f4-ed. The game is no longer worth 15 dollars/month to me.

First off, I’m confused how you couldn’t stomach a few barrens quests or a bg queue (which btw will never take 9 mins if you are lvl 90.) but you can easily handle all the garbage LS content? Spam F 200 times? Do you not remember anything ANet has released? At least 10 x worse than WoW quests, and btw Blizz just let out a ton of new raid content and a new zone that will last a billion times longer than some temporary garbage in GW2.

WoW has already copied or already had every single GW2 feature(lol) so they aren’t unique anymore. Blizz is smart, they aren’t afraid to take a good idea and implement it. ANet on the other hand…. enjoy your zergzergzerg ‘living story’ more like living grind.

This game is terrible right now and it’s sad because it has the most potential out of any MMO out there.

you mean you can still do normal quests? not too long ago i went and tried Tera, all those lame kitten quest drove me away in less than an hour.

WoW can indeed copy as many features as they want, but at its core is still an old classic MMO, is that bad? not really, I know people that still love the classic style and can’t stand GW2’s style.

“this game is terrible” more like “I dont like this game and I shouldn’t be here”

I would personally rather do old fashion quests over having to do any more hearts and boring DE’s to level my alt right now.

They’re really not that different, don’t pretend it’s that much better than old fashion quests… WoW quests especially have a ton of fun gimmicks and variety where as every Event is just : kill this same wave of generic mobs with the same 5 abilities over and over lol.

I’m sick of one, and haven’t had the other in a long time, so of course I’d rather pick WoW quests over this ATM, but that’s just because variety is good.

False. There’s a reasonable variety in DEs. There’s some where you collect objects, some where you kill things, some where you don’t kill things but rather, destroy an object. And if you go to WvW there’s quite a bit of variety there.

I ? Karkas.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I’ve become spoiled.

False. There’s a reasonable variety in DEs. There’s some where you collect objects, some where you kill things, some where you don’t kill things but rather, destroy an object. And if you go to WvW there’s quite a bit of variety there.

You know what’s a good idea? Have both!

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: ragingbear.2548

ragingbear.2548

If Anet paid attention to the constant gripes we would have a mess of a game.

“Why is Zhaitan in an instance? It should have been an epic world boss where we have hundred of players taking him on at once!”

“Why is Tequatl an open world boss? He should have been put in an instance!”

“There is no endgame progression. Aesthetics are not compelling enough for players to continue playing past endgame.”

“There is too much gear grind. Anet should not have introduced Ascended gear.”

“The bosses are too easy. I just stand there and press #1.”

“Why is Tequatl so hard? Now everyone is going to just ignore that content.”

There is a fine line between getting player feedback and pandering to everyone. I say Anet should just develop whatever the hell they want. If they fail, at least the responsibility is theirs to shoulder.

This. This. This.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Beside that, forums like these are mostly visited by whiners. No matter what ArenaNet does they will find something to whine about.

And sadly, anyone who comes in to the forums with anything that even looks like praise is mostly shouted down by all the self-entitled complainers.

Let’s face it. The grousers and complainers gain traction because of the simple fact that there are so few voices of reason to counter them. I hate to admit it, but it’s one of the main reasons why I post so little here. Why should I – or for that matter, any reasonable person – subject themselves to the abuse of a crowd of self-important gloryhounds? I left that drama behind in high school, or so I thought. I’m working on changing that, though. If we want the forums to be anything other than a gripefest, those of us with good things to say need to post more.

The levels of abuse heaped on anyone with anything nice to say about the game, the development team, or any other positivity about the experience we do have is patently absurd; I commend those who dwell here, especially the devteam who must constantly be bombarded with so much negative nonsense around the work – yes, WORK – they’ve put into this that they must constantly battle walking on their morale.

Yeah where the hell is that Vayne guy when you need him!

Seriously though, I"m getting to the same point. I still like the game. I still play and enjoy the game. But why subject myself the the abuse of people who clearly are posting just to disagree with me, when I could be playing.

Have we become spoiled?

ilr.9675

I don’t believe you.

Praising what the game was about and all the potential it still had was easy months and months ago. If you’re wearing out, then it’s because the whole process is running out of road to reverse itself and get better on. For you to praise anything and retain credibility while doing it, there actually has to be lots of tangible examples to point TO. …Those examples are getting few and far between and we both know it. (b/c I cited the ones that used to exist myself whenever I could … So did Erasculio… and a few others here you probably dismiss for the same strong bias that they dismiss you for)

(edited by ilr.9675)

Have we become spoiled?

Knote.2904

I’ve become spoiled.

Lol…. there is no variety, there is like 5 different types of events TOPS in the entire game.

Have we become spoiled?

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’ve become spoiled.

Lol…. there is no variety, there is like 5 different types of events TOPS in the entire game.

…5 is a variety..?

If a salad had five vegetables in it, would you not address it as a variety of vegetables?

I ? Karkas.

Have we become spoiled?

Knote.2904

I’ve become spoiled.

…5 is a variety..?

If a salad had five vegetables in it, would you not address it as a variety of vegetables?

Perhaps a small variety of vegetables.

But then you’re eating the same 5 vegetable salad, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, every day, every week, for a year, it gets old fast.

That then, is not variety.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

I’ve become spoiled.

…5 is a variety..?

Perhaps a small variety of vegetables.

But then you’re eating the same 5 vegetable salad, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, every day, every week, for a year, it gets old fast.

That then, is not variety.

This was covered by TotalBiscuit even before GW2 launched. Most quests in traditional MMOs boil down to:

- Kill Quests
Doesn’t matter if you’re killing 10 rats just because, or if you’re killing 10 rats in the hope that 1 Long Tail drops.

- Fetch Quests
Either take Item X and deliver to Y, or speak with X, Y, Z to proceed.

- Escort Quests
Protect X until Condition Y occurs.

GW2 improved on its delivery but the nature of MMO quests were largely the same. I don’t see what kind of variety WoW has that makes it better to this.

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t believe you.

Praising what the game was about and all the potential it still had was easy months and months ago. If you’re wearing out, then it’s because the whole process is running out of road to reverse itself and get better on. For you to praise anything and retain credibility while doing it, there actually has to be lots of tangible examples to point TO. …Those examples are getting few and far between and we both know it. (b/c I cited the ones that used to exist myself whenever I could … So did Erasculio… and a few others here you probably dismiss for the same strong bias that they dismiss you for)

So you didn’t like the Tequatl battle, but I did. You may not like SAB, but I do …actually I didnt’ like it for a while but I’ve been playing it to help out my wife and suddenly it got fun. There’s some ingenious stuff in SAB. You may not have liked The Bazarre of the Four Winds but I did. You may not like Sanctum Sprint and South Sun Survival, but I do.

I didn’t like the Aetherblade dungeon (but many people did). I did like the Aetherblade jumping puzzle though.

I like the changes to the world bosses, even if they’re minor.

Then there’s ascended weapons. I don’t like those. Fortunately, nothing in the game requires me to have them.

Have we become spoiled?

ilr.9675

You may not like SAB, but I do

Hrrmm?….. would like to know where you got that idea…
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/sab-bts/SAB-is-coming-to-a-close/2936155

Have we become spoiled?

Posted by: tagos.8946

tagos.8946

I have hot-footed it here from the NU-LOTRO which I’ve seen in beta and want absolutely no part of. Now I have not played GW1 so I don’t know what has been lost or changed. All I know is that I regret to buying GW2 as soon as it came out.

Coming from a soon to be dumbed-down game creaking along on an ancient engine, GW2 is just fantastic. That it looks great goes without saying. But the dynamic environment, the easy to learn but harder to master combat, the fun of all the different weapon combinations!

I’ve been playing LOTRO for 5 years and simply had not realised how MMO technology has changed. I feel spoiled just being here, especially for less money than Turbine are trying to squeeze for the next expansion.