Having a great time with no dungeon finder

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mar.7103

mar.7103

In GW2, I am forced to find groups if I want to party for a dungeon. In WoW, the dungeon finder was awesome at first, but when you stand back and look at what it has done…you begin to realize that maybe it wasn’t necessary.

I feel as if WoW’s dungeon finder connected people without them having to ‘connect themselves’. Instead of going out, spending whatever amount of time to find people, /w them and ask them questions…etc, and then invite them to the party…WoW makes grouping almost brain dead.

I remember grouping in WoW through dungeon finder and never talking to the person I was with. Like we are just going through the motions and he is there as an extra body.

I just got out of an instance in GW2 (CM SM) and had a blast with my party. We joked and talked more than my parties in WoW did.

So instead of creating another lobby system and doing everything for us Anet, I think in my unqualified opinion that an MMO should be about communicating and forming groups ‘ourselves’ to accomplish goals.

Note: And yes I do realize how long groups can take to form…etc. I am sure there are ideas for that ‘without’ a dungeon finder.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

back in BC i remeber when you hadto talk to people in your dungeon party. now with random dungeons i swear i never said a word i just came for loot and points the players in my group were are que away from being replaced

Posted by: Sprinkles.6748

Sprinkles.6748

I agree with a small bit of reluctance. Because it can be hard to find groups for some people. Anet found a way for people to work together so seamlessly in every other aspect of the game. As it is, people are using the classic lfg in map chat. Perhaps this could still be improved a little?

Of course, none of this really matters in my mind though. As I am slightly disappointed with the ease of getting dungeons done with random pick up groups. Even if we have a weak link or two, it’s not like it wont get done. Nerf corpse running already!

http://www.pwnzerfaust.com/ – Dragonbrand

mar.7103

I agree with a small bit of reluctance. Because it can be hard to find groups for some people. Anet found a way for people to work together so seamlessly in every other aspect of the game. As it is, people are using the classic lfg in map chat. Perhaps this could still be improved a little?

Of course, none of this really matters in my mind though. As I am slightly disappointed with the ease of getting dungeons done with random pick up groups. Even if we have a weak link or two, it’s not like it wont get done. Nerf corpse running already!

I agree with nerfing corpse running. That is a whole other subject though ;P

Posted by: Bassario.3465

Bassario.3465

HAH!! I clicked on this expecting it to be a sarcastic post and almost started screaming “JUST F-ING NO” at you only to be refreshed and find that others understand this too!

The Random dungeon finder COMPLETELY killed wow for me, I can not ever return to that game as the feelings of nostalgia and togetherness that can no longer exist creep up on me and it just makes me sad. Nothing was better than getting together as a guild, climbing on our mounts and riding out to Scholomance or whatever it may have been, we talked, we joked, we were in it together and we had fun.

Introduce random dungeon finder: Suddenly you are grouped with a set of 4 random ppl whom odds are you will NEVER SPEAK TO AGAIN in your entire life, so what is the point? why even bother? Most ppl realized this subconsciously and it just became a pointless and mindless grind to the end of each instance for a chance at slightly better gear so you can do it all again.

I believe this is A-net’s biggest strength, they understand that it’s meant to be a social gaming experience, not a mindless and endless grind for better items.

Posted by: Jen.8964

Jen.8964

I am glad they are keeping it this way.

It enforces community and actually keeping reputation on your server.

Auto-Group forming takes away socializing, world exploring, and manners. LFG/LFR in WoW is a soulless clusterfluck.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I’m very glad the approach to dungeon teaming is more personal and less robotic.
I never like those dungeon teams who do everything as a mechanical task, it removes the whole “adventure” factor of doing dungeons.

Posted by: Kwami.4356

Kwami.4356

OK, I’ll grant you that WoW’s LFG system is lifeless and boring.

But the system that GW2 uses (i.e. no system at all) is worse. Spamming map chat for 20-30 minutes isn’t fun. Seeing everyone else spam map chat constantly isn’t fun. Being suppressed for asking in map chat isn’t fun.

WoW used to have a channel for LFG. It didn’t solve the first problem, but it more or less solved the other two. GW2 could at least do that much.

mar.7103

But the system that GW2 uses (i.e. no system at all) is worse. Spamming map chat for 20-30 minutes isn’t fun. Seeing everyone else spam map chat constantly isn’t fun. Being suppressed for asking in map chat isn’t fun.

WoW used to have a channel for LFG. It didn’t solve the first problem, but it more or less solved the other two. GW2 could at least do that much.

I’ve been around since Vanilla and all I remember is /2 Trade chat…was LFG chat.

But I do agree that Anet should change ‘chat suppression’ and add a LFG channel or search menu. If people will use it.

Posted by: Kwami.4356

Kwami.4356

I’ve been around since Vanilla and all I remember is /2 Trade chat…was LFG chat.

No, there really was a LFG channel for a while. I’m not making it up!

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

I agree no auto matching system is nice but they do need to implement something along the lines of what they did in Aion. That system worked. It basically just made it easier for players to form their own groups.

Although on the topic of “easy” pug runs, I disagree. Corpse running does not make me think a dungeon is easy. If we have to die our way through it then that means it’s hard and we suck and we should have done a lot better. It means we failed and on top of that I’m probably frustrated and losing money. How is that easy? Or even fun?

Posted by: jiverooster.7134

jiverooster.7134

the old “LFD finder ruins communities” blurb

im pretty sure ghost town dungeons no one wants to run ruins communities more

also btw TP and no direct trade ruins communities

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

In GW2, I am forced to find groups if I want to party for a dungeon. In WoW, the dungeon finder was awesome at first, but when you stand back and look at what it has done…you begin to realize that maybe it wasn’t necessary.

I feel as if WoW’s dungeon finder connected people without them having to ‘connect themselves’. Instead of going out, spending whatever amount of time to find people, /w them and ask them questions…etc, and then invite them to the party…WoW makes grouping almost brain dead.

I remember grouping in WoW through dungeon finder and never talking to the person I was with. Like we are just going through the motions and he is there as an extra body.

I just got out of an instance in GW2 (CM SM) and had a blast with my party. We joked and talked more than my parties in WoW did.

So instead of creating another lobby system and doing everything for us Anet, I think in my unqualified opinion that an MMO should be about communicating and forming groups ‘ourselves’ to accomplish goals.

Note: And yes I do realize how long groups can take to form…etc. I am sure there are ideas for that ‘without’ a dungeon finder.

You do realize this how GW2 works though, right? There is no need to “connect” to others. Everyone is automatically “grouped”, and the only exception is dungeons. It’s like taking two steps forward and one step back.

The dungeon finder works because its more efficient to find other players, and it’s more efficient on time.

edit: i also thought GW2 was supposed to be the casual gamer’s mmo… but it’s really not if you have to waste time finding groups.

(edited by nexxe.7081)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

No, there really was a LFG channel for a while. I’m not making it up!

Kwami is correct. There was a server-wide LFG channel, and then they got rid of it. It was so helpful too, since you could be on an alt, and then see who was LFG, then you could switch to another character and join right away.

Posted by: Punjoke.6013

Punjoke.6013

Yeah, I had a great time spamming zone chat for an hour to fill up my group, and then having to do it AGAIN when two people bailed because we wouldn’t exploit the Magg route in CoF. I could really feel the community then.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

As far as I’m concerned, dungeons don’t exist at the moment.

Is it too much to ask that someone who just wants to check out story mode get simple fast access, without LFG’ing for 30 minutes? I was frankly a bit shocked that none of the improvements made in PvP (hot join, replacing team members who leave etc) made it into dungeons.

Surely players who genuinely want a social experience should be in a large guild by now, and not need to dictate how every newbie must approach dungeons? Frankly, the vitriol that always comes up against the idea of any automatic system, and the “our way or the highway” mentality, seems the very opposite of social to me.

Posted by: Bubbles.1047

Bubbles.1047

I’m sure a dungeon tool is making people not talk to each other. I mean, there couldn’t possibly be any other explanation, right?

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

This ain’t WoW.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: Holesale.2640

Holesale.2640

I want Sorrows Embrace Armor. i can Rarely find a group of people who want to do it and so far ive only got one piece due to the DR bug last week i was getting 45-30-5 per path. i don’t like the idea of an Automated DF tool but kitten give us a Menus or something that isn’t automated kitten Expand upon the stupid spy glass you get when you flag your self LFG.

Posted by: Bobnintendo.1256

Bobnintendo.1256

I agree that the dungeon finder in WoW made people treat you like you were expendable and like a bot. The low difficulty of the dungeons didn’t help either.
I still think we need some way to improve finding a group. Maybe a global chat channel for finding Dungeon Groups? Because when I try to find a group for AC I don’t know wether to ask in Lion’s Arch, Black Citadel or before the actual dungeon.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I wouldnt mind haveing some sort of tool that told me about player’s looking for dungeons though, just something that say’s HAY LFG for ((instert dungeon here)) and than click on it and than you can send them a wisper

or something like that.

or a place that is specified to go other than LA because we have groups both at the Dungeon LFG’s or in LA LFG’s

hell add a Bar in that Bar is a bulletin bored that’s connected with all severs, click on it you get to look at the list of groups Looking for players ((or players looking for groups)) you can than contact them and ask to join.

something

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

we need something Global for LFG

or a designated area

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Maybe people should oh I dunno, join a guild and be social so when you do want to run a dungeon you don’t have to spam chat for 30 minutes….

A better LFG system to see people who want to run a dungeon is fine but an automatic queue LFD system would be bad.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Zoridium JackL.7463

Zoridium JackL.7463

while I agree auto groupers are bad and games are better for not having them I would be disappointed if ANet didn’t add any LFG tool period, a good LFG tool should support what players already do when forming groups, at the very least an LFG channel is good, but proper LFG UI that makes finding and contacting people easy and removes the need to spam is better.

I’m a little disappointed with the COMPLETE lack of any group finding/forming support in the game, just an LFG channel would have sufficed for release and I’m sure it wouldn’t have been to hard to include.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

back in BC i remeber when you hadto talk to people in your dungeon party. now with random dungeons i swear i never said a word i just came for loot and points the players in my group were are que away from being replaced

Without trying to sound snide i must say that you are part of the problem then. I have played with a DF and without a DF and i always managed to chat,joke discuss in groups. Sometimes the ice needs to be broken and i have sen completly silent groups turn into a laughfest. Granted it does not always work and it was needed more in games with these DF’s and there were always certina players kittenfused to participate in any chat or communication and were interested in loot but in the end it is all up to you as player.

You have the ability to communicate with or without a DF. Blaming the system is never a excuse.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

^this ‘profanity’ filter is taking it a bit too far

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

The problem with the WoW dungeon finder is the cross-realm part. It would have been so much better had they made it same server only.

Then would have been a convenient tool and people who acted like jerks (leaving if their gear doesn’t drop, ninja-pulling & leaving, swearing/general bad attitude etc) would build up a bad reputation on their own server. In TBC people complained to your GM if you were a jerk in a pug. It definitely made a difference to people’s overall behaviour.

LFR however, is just pure fail in every way.

Posted by: Geemo.6018

Geemo.6018

Spamming for dungeon groups is much better than having a dungeon finder. Because when you have a dungeon finder it takes away your ability to say hello to other players. Spamming for raid groups…oh wait that’s right….Gw2 doesn’t have raids. Yea wow should not make everything so convenient. They should instead travel back to the stone age and spam for groups again…

Posted by: Eve.1029

Eve.1029

I would like a menu thingy, where u can select the dungeon u’re recruiting for, the path (or select any path), and a personal message that’s short.
other players can browse through it and whisper or apply. Beats spamming in lion arc and getting muted. Btw, being treated like a bot happens in a dungeon that doesn’t require cooperation. That’s not gw2 dungeons.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I like that dungeon finder is not in GW2,because in wow it destroyed server comunity.And that i really didn’t like.
What GW2 needs is a better Looking for Party system than it’s current one.It must NOT be automated and cross server.It should search for people only from your server.I want to make connections with people from my realn and WoW’s LFG is the worst tool ever made for that.It may find very easy groups but it destroys server community.
If Anet improves their LFP system it must never be cross-connecting or automated!It must be focused per server.
For me community is very important factor.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: kal.4350

kal.4350

I am a fan of dungeon finder. If I want to sozialice, I do it. And I really do.
If I want a dungeon, I want it now, not in 1 hour. Not maybe, if I find a group.

And this is IF you can really say finding a group is sozialicing and not spamming the chat.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I am a fan of dungeon finder. If I want to sozialice, I do it. And I really do.
If I want a dungeon, I want it now, not in 1 hour. Not maybe, if I find a group.

And this is IF you can really say finding a group is sozialicing and not spamming the chat.

There are plenty of MMOs which have what you want.WoW,Rift,SWTOR.So go play that.
GW2 is a lot different than them.
1st the dungeons are meant to be very hard so we shouldn’t be grouped with randoms.
2nd GW2 dungeons are like WoW’s challenge mode dungeons.This means instances are meant to be hard.
3rd they need cooperation,support and communication and automated LFG system removes that element.
4th explorable modes are not meant for pugs and casualls.They are WoW’s hc raid equivalent into GW2
So in total automated cross server LFG system will only hurt the game and community.We don’t need that.
What we need is improvement to the current LFP system which GW2 has.
Its search should be expanded to all lands.
It should let you write what you’re looking for.
It may even have different categories like:
DE,sPvP,personal story,dungeon story,dungeon explorable,jumping puzzle.
You’d be able to list your name in all the tabs but you will be still able to write in each one of them different things which you are looking for.
LFG channel is needed too.
But I say it again.The system should be only per server.Never cross realm.That is not good for the community.That is how WoW’s one was destroyed.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

A server-wide LFG tab is needed. The LFG that we have (that almost NO ONE knows about) is can’t even be called barebones. It’s down right useless as you can’t tell what the person wants the goal of the group to be.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: pewblinkpew.5031

pewblinkpew.5031

we need some kind of server lfg system que system. Having to spam for 35 mins to even 1 hr for Arah explore mode dungeon is no fun.

Posted by: TheUnNamedHero.4167

TheUnNamedHero.4167

Best possible solution I can think of:

Instead of a random DF, make a lobby list like someone already mentioned. However, it shouldn’t be just a list of names. It should also include how many times you’ve been grouped with that particular player and how many of those groupings were completed, i.e. they didn’t bail if a certain item didn’t drop. This allows you to build a group of people you already know. It should also include an option to write a quick review of that player that only you see, so if they were a jerk or not helpful you could leave a note and pass them for the next person.

2012 Halloween Tower Champion
The Lost Shores should have stayed lost.

Posted by: KevinEvo.7061

KevinEvo.7061

For the past few weeks, my night consists of logging in, spamming Lion’s Arch for a group and getting nothing for 20 minutes. Then I go to the zone the dungeon is in and spam for 20 minutes and get nothing. I can’t go do other things because I have to be in the zone to spam for a group. The past few days I go in, spam for 3 minutes then log off because I don’t want to waste any more time.

There at least needs to be a LFG channel if nothing else.

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

I don’t care what ANet implement, but something needs to be put in place to make finding a party to run a specific dungeon easier. Spamming LFG while standing around in LA is not what I consider fun or social.

The LFG tool already in game is useless, why don’t they just fix that?

Posted by: BraxKedren.8941

BraxKedren.8941

Warcraft’s LFG system is like a person putting a toilet seat in their recliner and a fridge right next to them. You can eat, sleep and poop all in one spot. Sure it’s cool at first but at some point your going to miss the actual feel of walking to go pee, walking to your bed and standing at the fridge looking for something to make and eat.

Sure the current design needs work but I think making people put forth something on their end to run a dungeon is a good thing.

Noob in training

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I actually dont mind. Albeit it does get a bit annoying having to port to la or the map of dungeon to find a dungeon for it. Although, i met most of my friends online not by doing random de/hearts/explo, but via dungeon. Imo the pre-dungeon chat is important to get to know the other player.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Most of my dungeon runs are like this already, we only talk tactics if necessary.

And if you want, you can still play this way too, what does having or not having a dungeon finder have to do with any of this though? Here’s the thing, finding groups easily doesn’t block your ability to talk to them!

Spamming LFG for 30 minutes isn’t socialization nor does it create a community.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I’m really not sure I understand why people call a Dungeon Finder anti-social – it’s as social as you want it to be.

And no, spamming in zone chat for an hour trying to find a group is NOT socializing…it’s a waste of time, however.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

sigh

We’ll have to go over this one more time because some people just don’t get it. There is a big difference between the ridiculous roulette system of WoW and a system that lets you list GLF’s and LFG’s and let’s people form groups without having to wait forever and spam like idiots.

This was GW1 before party search. It was kittening horrible.

Fast forward a few years and Anet gives us Party Search. You press “P” to get what I described above and it was great. Parties could be easily formed (although at that point it was all just shadowform runs for the most part) and the chat could actually gasp be used for communication.

Nothing about the system prevented you from communicating with your party and frankly, if you didn’t you ran the risk of getting the infamous mending Wamo or some Monk fresh off the boat. Nobody wanted that.

You want to sit in town and mash “Enter, Up” for an hour, go for it. I’m sure you’ll make more BFF’s than you can handle. The rest of us will be waiting for a system that we know Anet is capable of and that works.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

Spamming town chat and being forced to stay either in LA or the zone the dungeon is in does get old soon. I don’t mind waiting some for a party to form, but I would like to be free to roam around, possibly even on a different character, while doing so.

Now I am not saying a cross-server dungeon finder should come in, that concept was just horribly done in wow and a big part of why I lost interest in that game.

Especially with the anti-spam code kicking in when people advertise their group I can’t help but think there should be a more convenient UI to handle that bit.