Having to farm before seeing the final skin of legendary armor?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: as asureus.6287

as asureus.6287

Here is I give some explanation, I play the mmo rpg for more than 10 years now it is the first time which I see that we owe farm item before seeing the final skin of the armor. It’s as if your architect asks you to collect materials before having seen plan.
My question .
Is it the future model of Anet?

Y/N What’s your opinion ?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Are you talking about Legendary Insights?

I think that is unusual – that they released the Insights and people could start farming them before knowing what the legendary armour would look like. But I don’t think the fact that they did it once means it’s now going to be the standard way everything is released, Anet doesn’t work like that.

And in this case what was the alternative? They don’t release raids until they had finished designing the legendary armour? Or release raids but don’t allow anyone to collect Legendary Insights until the armour is released, so people who have been raiding all that time have to do it all over again? I don’t think players would be happy with either of those.

This way if anyone simply wanted to play the raid they could do, and if they happened to get Legendary Insights along the way there’s no harm in that, it’s not like they were losing out on another reward because of it. And if anyone was concerned that they might not like legendary armour and wanted to see what they’d get before they started farming Insights all they had to do was wait.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

i think he wants to see the legendary armor skins in a (close) video or some other way to really check it out well so he can actually see if he likes it or not before getting materials. Which is honestly fair.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s not the first time in this game; it won’t be the last time either.

I don’t have a problem with it — I can choose to prepare or I can choose to wait. I might want to get an early start because I care more about the functionality — frankly, I only like about 10% of the skins in the game, so I never expected that I would want Legendary Armor for its looks alone.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

as asureus.6287

Danikat .8537
I talk about all the process for the credit note (collection, LI, precursor ect ..)

Kumouta .4985
It is exactly that that I wanted to say

as asureus.6287

Illconceived Was Na .9781
It’s not the first time in this game

You can give an example? plz

I does not remember to me

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

This is what we get for fueling a company that runs on hype motor and they fell short.

Imagine if these images were shown before HoT release date. How many would really buy HoT to exclusively raid?

(edited by Pino.5209)

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

It’s not the first time in this game; it won’t be the last time either.

I don’t have a problem with it — I can choose to prepare or I can choose to wait. I might want to get an early start because I care more about the functionality — frankly, I only like about 10% of the skins in the game, so I never expected that I would want Legendary Armor for its looks alone.

I always find that I usually hate most skins on first glance, yet later I find a combination I like them in. For example, I hated Bladed Armor initially but now 2/3 of my heavies use atleast 1 piece of it. Despite the Blade kitten.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

No one asked to you farm anything in advance ppl do raids for rewards for the experience or w/e and li passively stack up so you cant do much about those but all the rest of the things requires is your choice to go and farm them

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na .9781
It’s not the first time in this game

You can give an example? plz

I does not remember to me

Every 2nd generation legendary. We know (and have known) 85%† of the requirements for crafting each (a bit less before HoT launched). People who expected to craft at least one starting gathering/buying/hoarding before the legendaries appeared. Some folks have even speculated on these things, figuring that prices would spike on wood, metal, and sometimes leather/cloth each time one was released.

† the 85% number is made up. I’d have to break down all the requirements to be sure, and decide how to measure (does Amalgamated Gemstone count as one, two, or 250+?). My point is that the vast majority of requirements are predictable, and many people started preparing without knowing what the legendaries would look like.

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Or release raids but don’t allow anyone to collect Legendary Insights until the armour is released, so people who have been raiding all that time have to do it all over again?

That’s pretty much what they did in every previous case – they introduced new currency so nobody would be able to buy the new item immediately.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

And in this case what was the alternative? They don’t release raids until they had finished designing the legendary armour? Or release raids but don’t allow anyone to collect Legendary Insights until the armour is released, so people who have been raiding all that time have to do it all over again? I don’t think players would be happy with either of those.

Don’t think any other company releases something like raids without the main rewards for them like 1-2 years later.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

as asureus.6287

zealex.9410
No one asked to you farm anything in advance ppl do raids for rewards for the experience or w/e and li passively stack up so you cant do much about those but all the rest of the things requires is your choice to go and farm them

Fortunately it is a game. The burned fire and the water …. off-topic.

Illconceived Was Na.9781
Before of I create the 1st and 2nd and the 3rd generation of legendary weapon always have to watch skin quickly planning materials it is logical similar irrelevant

The question is simple nevertheless not?
Next armor will have you he use the same process for made made before and to see resulted him later?

(edited by as asureus.6287)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is what we get for fueling a company that runs on hype motor and they fell short.

Imagine if these images were shown before HoT release date. How many would really buy HoT to exclusively raid?

I suppose it depends on why you’re interested in raiding.

The impression I’ve gotten is that most people who play raids (or whatever their games equivalent is called) enjoy raiding because of the challenge – it’s typically the most difficult PvE content in the game and some people like to push themselves to complete increasingly difficult content.

There’s many people in both my guilds who raid at least once a week and are regularly encouraging the rest of us to join in on the basis that it’s fun. People often ask what you get from it but the answers are all over the place. In one of my guilds decorations for the guild hall is often the first answer, followed by mini pets. Legendary armour will come up sooner or later but it never seems to be anyone’s main motivation.

The fact that in many games the hardest content is also where the best equipment comes from is seen as a necessity because so many games are built around the idea that you’re constantly improving your character so it’s only logical that the best equipment comes from the hardest content. (This usually also means you have to have the next-best equipment to even start.)

A lot of people I’ve talked to actually seem to hate that because, especially if the equipment is a rare random drop, it means they end up repeating it long after the challenge and therefore the fun is gone. I’ve seen people on the Elder Scrolls Online forum saying a particular trial (aka raid) used to be their favourite but by the time they got the drop they wanted they were so sick of it they never want to go back there again, which seems unfortunate to me.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Astralporing.1957

The impression I’ve gotten is that most people who play raids (or whatever their games equivalent is called) enjoy raiding because of the challenge – it’s typically the most difficult PvE content in the game and some people like to push themselves to complete increasingly difficult content.

That’s usually not the case. Yes, raiders will usually say that it’s exactly why they’re doing it, but that doesn’t explain why (whether in this, on in other games) they keep runing the content over and over again long after it has stopped being a challenge.

Yes, there are players that do things like lowmans, speedkills or other artificial difficulty challenges, but they are generally in minority. Ironically, most raiders i’ve known actually liked reaching the phase when running raids have become easy for them, which suggests that the reasons they do it lie elsewhere.

Actions, not words.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781
Before of I create the 1st and 2nd and the 3rd generation of legendary weapon always have to watch skin quickly planning materials it is logical similar irrelevant

I also don’t offer an opinion on a skin, let alone work on acquiring it, until I’ve seen it in game. However, you asked if ANet had given us the tools to start working on skins before the skin was in the game and the answer is: yes, they have; it’s not new.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Don’t think any other company releases something like raids without the main rewards for them like 1-2 years later.

You are right, any other company would have let you farmed gear for 1-2 years that instantly become useless in the next major update.

zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Fortunately it is a game. The burned fire and the water …. off-topic.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The question is simple nevertheless not?
Next armor will have you he use the same process for made made before and to see resulted him later?

my opinion is im not sure i myself have farmed everything for the legendary sword without a clue how it looks but then again i havent made anything final so if i am to be disappointed by it i can easily sell everything.

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

You are right, any other company would have let you farmed gear for 1-2 years that instantly become useless in the next major update.

In those 1-2 years you would be running 10-20 different zones to get those upgrades. Not one zone over and over and over and over again for 1 set released 1-2 years later.

There’s nothing special about gw2 raids to make them less stale that other games raids. There’s no “additional challenge” once you’ve beat it and have it on farm status. Some people may not like the concept of upgrading gear, but it is one of the factors for pushing people to continue doing raids, upgrading your gear, overcoming the challenge, conquering it to move on to the next challenge.

Lastly going from exotic to ascended to legendary is an upgrade, a stat upgrade from exotic to ascended, a convenience upgrade with stat and rune swapping from ascended to legendary, they are still upgrades, which require grinding work to earn. Do you like grinding for long term upgrades, or getting upgrades in every new area you go to, that’s the difference.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

That’s usually not the case. Yes, raiders will usually say that it’s exactly why they’re doing it, but that doesn’t explain why (whether in this, on in other games) they keep runing the content over and over again long after it has stopped being a challenge.

Yes, there are players that do things like lowmans, speedkills or other artificial difficulty challenges, but they are generally in minority. Ironically, most raiders i’ve known actually liked reaching the phase when running raids have become easy for them, which suggests that the reasons they do it lie elsewhere.

Beacuse it’s FUN. It’s fun to progress and fun to keep improving. The fights in general are very fun too though.

I’m running 1-2 evenings of raids weekly currently where I am LI caped and Magnetite Shard caped so my reward is close to 0 for doing the raids. It is fun helping others in my non raid guild slowly progress through the content.

Does this apply to everyone doing raids? No, but I can tell you from the experiences I’ve had, most raiders still enjoy the content and willingly help out quite often even if the rewards to them are 0.

Example, last night after multiple nights of trying with mixed groups of pugs with core raid team members (because some of the team just keep dodging the practice runs…) of finishing Deimos CM (probably a total of 4-5 hours for me, some others more) we got together a group of 4 core members, 4 members from friends and 2 pugs and we killed Deimos CM first try. No fails, no getting used to each other, just dead. The rush and excitement people had was amazing.

The new approach of adding challenge modes helps in this too. Wing 4 is arguably the easiest wing released so far (with Deimos being on par with Matthias maybe) and the challenge modes provide the challenge some raiders want.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Beacuse it’s FUN. It’s fun to progress and fun to keep improving. The fights in general are very fun too though.

I’m running 1-2 evenings of raids weekly currently where I am LI caped and Magnetite Shard caped so my reward is close to 0 for doing the raids. It is fun helping others in my non raid guild slowly progress through the content.

Does this apply to everyone doing raids? No, but I can tell you from the experiences I’ve had, most raiders still enjoy the content and willingly help out quite often even if the rewards to them are 0.

Example, last night after multiple nights of trying with mixed groups of pugs with core raid team members (because some of the team just keep dodging the practice runs…) of finishing Deimos CM (probably a total of 4-5 hours for me, some others more) we got together a group of 4 core members, 4 members from friends and 2 pugs and we killed Deimos CM first try. No fails, no getting used to each other, just dead. The rush and excitement people had was amazing.

The new approach of adding challenge modes helps in this too. Wing 4 is arguably the easiest wing released so far (with Deimos being on par with Matthias maybe) and the challenge modes provide the challenge some raiders want.

That the thing you cant progress in gw2 that the point of it. That what made it different from other mmorpg that lack of treadmill. There skins but not all that many ppl like to changes up all the time just for looks in raids where the same ppl will see you over and over. Legendary are the end all be all gear in the game and will allways be that way. There is no more progression past that point. Relay you lose out the need to get any more expansion or do any more pve content to get the new combos for builds you just have them as they are added in something pvp / rvr would love but meaningless to ppl who want an fake gear progression. A full set of legendary armor (not skin) is going to kill pve for a lot of ppl who can get to that point.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Legendary are the end all be all gear in the game and will allways be that way.

It is? I have 3 legendaries and I can barely use them. Most other is gear is exotic – including 2-3 armor sets and 6+ weapons per character since I need different runes and different sigils for different builds.

Legendary is half broken extravaganza. I did it for the skins and to have something to do, not for the gear. My first was before ascended and stat swapping existed, so just another kittenty exotic (that was soulbound). If you could change runes or sigil at will to any in the game, it would be as you say end all be all gear. Otherwise, no.

If people choose to do raids to take part of this extravaganze… it doesnt really matter. Raids arent progression. PvE isnt progression either. Nor is sPvP or WvW. People will still spend thousands of hours doing what they like. I must be approaching 3000 hours now (which is low compared to veterans) and I havent even stepped foot in a raid :/

Legendary armor aint gonna change kitten.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Astralporing.1957

It is? I have 3 legendaries and I can barely use them. Most other is gear is exotic – including 2-3 armor sets and 6+ weapons per character since I need different runes and different sigils for different builds.

They solved the “different runes needed” problem. Possibly they’ll do the same for sigils. If so, only amulets, rings and accesories will be left

Actions, not words.

Jski.6180

Legendary is half broken extravaganza. I did it for the skins and to have something to do, not for the gear. My first was before ascended and stat swapping existed, so just another kittenty exotic (that was soulbound). If you could change runes or sigil at will to any in the game, it would be as you say end all be all gear. Otherwise, no.

If people choose to do raids to take part of this extravaganze… it doesnt really matter. Raids arent progression. PvE isnt progression either. Nor is sPvP or WvW. People will still spend thousands of hours doing what they like. I must be approaching 3000 hours now (which is low compared to veterans) and I havent even stepped foot in a raid :/

Legendary armor aint gonna change kitten.

Are you saying you use exotics over your legendary? If not i am not sure what your point is. My point is legendary brake the horizontal progression of pve in gw2. If you had a drive in pve its going to be lost once you have a full set of legendary armor (you can always get more wepon types but i guess once you have all 19 maybe more if you want the same off hand version) you can have the next new combo right off the bat.

Now legendary items are good for pvp and or rvr players who spend there time play less of progression of there hero and more of progression of the week match and or there own skill as a player. Sadly you cant get these from wvw or spvp as well because reason (no one realty given a good reason why legendary cant be in wvw only the fact that they are not).

zealex.9410

That the thing you cant progress in gw2 that the point of it. That what made it different from other mmorpg that lack of treadmill. There skins but not all that many ppl like to changes up all the time just for looks in raids where the same ppl will see you over and over. Legendary are the end all be all gear in the game and will allways be that way. There is no more progression past that point. Relay you lose out the need to get any more expansion or do any more pve content to get the new combos for builds you just have them as they are added in something pvp / rvr would love but meaningless to ppl who want an fake gear progression. A full set of legendary armor (not skin) is going to kill pve for a lot of ppl who can get to that point.

we will w8 and see

Jski.6180

we will w8 and see

For anet not to do something they have done many times before. Stop being an enabler anet been as this game for well over 7? years 5 with lots of play tester and feed back and they are still doing the same thing as if we are not here.