Healing Power is under and overpowered.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Healing power is the most worthless attribute.
and
It is the most powerful.

The problem with Healing Power there is no sweet spot for it’s defensive use. Inputting 300 points of Healing Power could contribute ~50-100 health with your healing utility at level 80. The numbers are so low it’s often not worth it.

Yet, at super high healing power, the scaling becomes too high!
Making for some unbalanced super defensive builds.

Not to mention if only affects very limited skills and traits, plus for the sake of balance, sometimes certain traits and skills see no benefit.

If you aren’t following your own rules for attributes for the sake of balance, then the trait is the problem, not the skills.

It has the same problem but makes up for it with condition duration. Just because you use don’t use a condition damage build doesn’t mean you cannot benefit from condition duration.

If anything, it should be removed for something like Boon Power. Lower the effectiveness of boons and be able to increase their effectiveness with Boon Power.
That way, all the professions can benefit from it.

With Vitality, Boon Duration and Toughness having a forth attribute for defense isn’t necessary.

I don’t think Healing Power helps the balance of Guild Wars 2.
What do you guys think?

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Healing power affects certain professions more than others. coughguardscough It really all depends which profession its on.

Healing power is a useless stat for thieves. I don’t know a single thief that runs anything more than what the SA traitline gives them.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Healing power affects certain professions more than others. coughguardscough It really all depends which profession its on.

Healing power is a useless stat for thieves. I don’t know a single thief that runs anything more than what the SA traitline gives them.

Ooooh healing power thieves are badkitten! Using the shadow refuge, healing while stealth, and building a stealth build around it you become almost immortal. You won’t be able to kill anything but you’ll provide fantastic support for your allies.

Especially if you use condition damage together with the healing, that way you can bug your enemies a bit while never getting touched.

In my opinion the three best classes for healing power are thief, guardian and elementalist, but that’s it. For everyone else healing power underperforms.

I think the class which gets the least use from healing power (ironically) is a necromancer, because just about nothing the necromancer has scales with healing and when it does it’s a miserable amount like 0.1%.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Healing power is great on ranger since the pet is unaffected and can still burst.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Just wish the events code counted more than how much DPS you did on the event mobs.

Anyways, outside of the #6 skills that every profession has, very few skills gain anything close to x1.0 healing power. I think elementalist has two (one of them being the basis for the water effect in evasive arcana, and a on water attunement effect) and guardian has one (and apparently a trait that works similar to water attuned evasive arcana).

(edited by digiowl.9620)

Nova Stiker.8396

Ooooh healing power thieves are badkitten! Using the shadow refuge, healing while stealth, and building a stealth build around it you become almost immortal. You won’t be able to kill anything but you’ll provide fantastic support for your allies.

Shadow Rejuvenation has a base heal of 293 with a healing power multiplier of 0.1.

So at 1500 healing power, Shadow Rejuvenation heals 443 health a second and can last 4 seconds for a total of 1772 health with 1 Cloak and Dagger.

At 0 healing power, 1 cloak and dagger can heal for 1172 for a difference of 600 health.

That is sadly not a huge difference considering how much healing power you are putting into the trait.

Delryn.7235

Shadow Rejuvenation has a base heal of 293 with a healing power multiplier of 0.1.

So at 1500 healing power, Shadow Rejuvenation heals 443 health a second and can last 4 seconds for a total of 1772 health with 1 Cloak and Dagger.

At 0 healing power, 1 cloak and dagger can heal for 1172 for a difference of 600 health.

That is sadly not a huge difference considering how much healing power you are putting into the trait.

For the most part, as has been stated few skills get a full 1.0 from healing power for any class. And for the most part healing isn’t supposed to be this main fantastic thing in this game.

For most (if not all) classes healing isn’t meant to be used as a “oh crap I’m dying let me heal up”, it’s meant to be used constantly when not needed so you won’t ever actually need it.

Even though it only heals 1,700 instead of 1,100 you can’t take the number alone into account. You gotta take the cooldown, how well you’re gonna use it and when. Using the thief’s healing mixed with stealth and low base HP, you should be able to keep your health up constantly throughout the battle. You’re not supposed to start healing when you’re dying, you’re supposed to start healing when you first take any damage.

And with that in mind, the thief works wonderfully. He has lots of group heals, and most of them are pretty decent, regen here and there, etc. That coupled with stealth makes those 600 points go a very long way.

A healing thief if he takes any sort of damage usually can heal that right back up instantly while going in stealth. That topped with decent (not fantastic) group healing and the most precious of all, stealth rezing. A healing/assist thief works fantastically well.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Healing power only being effective for very specific Thief builds is a very sad state of affairs.

I especially love healing skills that get a bonus like (0.0001 * Healing power), which is most of them. It’s, like, what’s the point?

(edited by Draco.2806)

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

How can it be the most worthless and the most powerful? That’s a weird combination of words. Healing power doesn’t kill anything

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

digiowl.9620

For the most part, as has been stated few skills get a full 1.0 from healing power for any class. And for the most part healing isn’t supposed to be this main fantastic thing in this game.

For most (if not all) classes healing isn’t meant to be used as a “oh crap I’m dying let me heal up”, it’s meant to be used constantly when not needed so you won’t ever actually need it.

Even though it only heals 1,700 instead of 1,100 you can’t take the number alone into account. You gotta take the cooldown, how well you’re gonna use it and when. Using the thief’s healing mixed with stealth and low base HP, you should be able to keep your health up constantly throughout the battle. You’re not supposed to start healing when you’re dying, you’re supposed to start healing when you first take any damage.

And with that in mind, the thief works wonderfully. He has lots of group heals, and most of them are pretty decent, regen here and there, etc. That coupled with stealth makes those 600 points go a very long way.

A healing thief if he takes any sort of damage usually can heal that right back up instantly while going in stealth. That topped with decent (not fantastic) group healing and the most precious of all, stealth rezing. A healing/assist thief works fantastically well.

I honestly wish that healing power would be the determining factor in how heals gets used. Low HP, use often. High HP, use more rarely. But i guess that with cooldown being the only barrier to adjusting frequency, the cooldown would have to increase as healing power was put in to balance it out in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe compete newbies to MMOs have a easier time to pick up on this than “old hand” tho, as longer cooldowns scream to me at least that it should be saved for the “rainy days”. Shorter cooldowns are more fire and forget, as you will have it back up again in no time.

This problem crops up with elites as well, people avoid using them in case they need them later on and find it on cooldown. End result, they are rarely or never used.

Hrmf, maybe they should make healing power into a cooldown shortener for healing related skills rather than a numerical increase on the effect.

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Healing Power Overpowered? Are you kidding me? And I play main Guardian.

Healing Power is the most broken status now. How at super high healing power the scales becomes too high? It has a linear scaling… This isn’t power/precision/crit, it, yes, scales exponentially.

Also some skills not even scales with healing power at all.

Sorry for my english.

Delryn.7235

Healing Power is the most broken status now. How at super high healing power the scales becomes too high? It has a linear scaling… This isn’t power/precision/crit, it, yes, scales exponentially.

I think what the OP meant was more along the lines of healing power is not well balanced between classes, as it’s completely useless for most.

You gotta admit for guardian and elementalist healing power does what it’s supposed to do, it’s not overpowered but it’s good. While for just about every other class it falls flat in comparison.

In other words a nearly useless stat for other classes.

Nova Stiker.8396

I think what the OP meant was more along the lines of healing power is not well balanced between classes, as it’s completely useless for most.

You gotta admit for guardian and elementalist healing power does what it’s supposed to do, it’s not overpowered but it’s good. While for just about every other class it falls flat in comparison.

In other words a nearly useless stat for other classes.

Exactly.

Other than the healing skill for Warriors, not a single skill/utility will benefit from high healing power.
There is only two traits that will benefit from Healing Power for warriors.
TWO! Limited to shout and banner builds.

Rangers used to have the luxury of running high healing power and have pets do a ton of damage but then they completely nerfed pets damage! Lovely, no longer an option.

Out of 6 classes, only 2 can have great benefit from it.

It’s an attribute that is too good so they make it worthless.

They should rework how Healing Power works or replace it with an entirely different attribute. As of right now, it’s doing more harm than good for Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

I always thought it would have made sense to make it like toughness, except for dots (condition damage)…

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

(edited by amiable.4823)

Nova Stiker.8396

I always thought it would have made sense to make it like toughness, except for dots (condition damage)…

That would make sense, a counter to the heavy condition meta the game is seeing.

The problem would be it would reduce damage of conditions and improve recovery.

That would be a bit broken.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Healing power is the most worthless attribute.
and
It is the most powerful.

The problem with Healing Power there is no sweet spot for it’s defensive use. Inputting 300 points of Healing Power could contribute ~50-100 health with your healing utility at level 80. The numbers are so low it’s often not worth it.

Yet, at super high healing power, the scaling becomes too high!
Making for some unbalanced super defensive builds.

This makes no sense. Healing power, like power, has a worse relative effect as you add more. If it’s bad when you add 300, it’s bad when you add 2000.

Yaki.9563

They should rework how Healing Power works or replace it with an entirely different attribute. As of right now, it’s doing more harm than good for Guild Wars 2.

How is it doing harm? You mean by having people equip it thinking they aren’t sucking when they really are?

Posted by: saden.6942

saden.6942

Didn’t read every reply, but I’ll say this. Not every attribute is good/utilized well on every class. Case and point: Condition damage on Guards. Sure, we CAN build around it, but there are much better builds (much, MUCH better builds). Just like someone said with thieves…they CAN use HP, but there are better builds for the capabilities of thieves.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Healing power scales linearly, how does that fit with what you said, plz explain OP

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Chopps.5047

Dungeon = berserker

Wvw and pvp: healing power is a great stat depending on build

Are we in agreement?

Nova Stiker.8396

Dungeon = berserker

Are we in agreement?

No.

If Healing Power was removed completely as an attribute. It would have little impact on the player base.
Plus
The most broken bunker builds in the game utilize healing power.

Healing Power is limiting the usefulness of builds and play styles.

No matter how you look at it, by a design standpoint, it is harmful :\

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Actually Thieves can achieve immortality through healing power sets, like Apothecary. Thief healing power is extremely strong. You’re not going to kill anything very fast tho. XD

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Actually Thieves can achieve immortality through healing power sets, like Apothecary. Thief healing power is extremely strong. You’re not going to kill anything very fast tho. XD

Maybe my problem was I tried clerics. Nothing was dying fast enough.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Maybe my problem was I tried clerics. Nothing was dying fast enough.

Apothecary armor (and some carrion stuff mixed in), double P/D, lotsa dodging, caltrops and stealth. You eventually torture everything to death and no one will ever kill you unless a whole group spam immobilizes u and kills with range. Used to use it all the time when farming obsidian sanctum chest for gift of battle and didn’t feel like dying and having to restart the JP. I don’t recall ever losing a battle in that gear. .-. It’s more of a trolling build I guess tho, it’s hard to tag people in wvw zergs with it cuz of pure cond dmg.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

the only build that use healing power properly is ‘dodging’ guardian with ‘Bowl of Orrian Truffle and Meat Stew’ and vigor on crit.
you don’t do any damage but at least its difficult to die.
in all other scenarios , healing power haven’t saved anybody.

TLDR:
healing power is crap in the current game state.

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

And again, the effenctiveness of healing power is discussed as being “ok” because of PvP balance.

I do understand the issue, that ANet doesn’t want healing builds which simply outheal the damage of their opponents, but PvE or support builds are disregarded – as usual.

Posted by: Coarr.3286

Coarr.3286

my ranger heals for 1500/sec with 1500 condition dmg and 3100 armor + 22000 life with perma 50% endu reg, evade on sword 2 and 3 and perma protection uptime. it is nearly impossible to kill me 1on1. healingpower is great on rangers

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

Chopps.5047

Dungeon = berserker

Are we in agreement?

No.

If Healing Power was removed completely as an attribute. It would have little impact on the player base.
Plus

Um in a game where defending and holding a point is the name of the game, healing power indeed has a role.

Nova Stiker.8396

Dungeon = berserker

Are we in agreement?

No.

Plus

Um in a game where defending and holding a point is the name of the game, healing power indeed has a role.

You don’t want healing power, you want toughness and vitality. Having 3 sources for defense is completely unneeded.

If you get rid of healing power, toughness would be more viable.

I believe if you completely get rid of healing power, it will open up more opportunity for builds.

Yaki.9563

my ranger heals for 1500/sec

LOL no.

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Especially if you use condition damage together with the healing, that way you can bug your enemies a bit while never getting touched.

In my opinion the three best classes for healing power are thief, guardian and elementalist, but that’s it. For everyone else healing power underperforms.

I think the class which gets the least use from healing power (ironically) is a necromancer, because just about nothing the necromancer has scales with healing and when it does it’s a miserable amount like 0.1%.

Let me give you the three healing powered things in my current warrior build.

Healing Signet 392 with a .05 ratio per second
Adrenal Health 125-360 with a .15 ratio per 3 seconds.
Banner heal for .3 ratio I think, oh and regen from it for a .125 ratio per second

Let’s just say you only had the 300 base healing power you would still get an extra 67.5 hps. To give you a comparison That is almost equivalent to the entire base of virtue of resolves hps. I don’t think any of that is based on how much adrenalin you have either, I don’t know for sure if you have to have the 1 bar for adrenal health to start.

As for a .1 ratio, that’s not bad. It depends on how much the base heal is for on if you want to invest into it. Consider the ease of getting certain stats. You can go a bunker build easily by going condi damage/ vitality or toughness/hp and you have a massive tank that can do great damage.

Coarr.3286

LOL no.

976 troll urgent
+255 regeneration
+85 mango pie
+122reg signet of the wild

sry you are right, i heal for 1438 a sec. my mistake.

ohhh and sigil of blood every 2 sec for 553.

976 troll urgent
+255 regeneration
+85 mango pie
+276,5 ( 553 / 2 ) superior sigil of blood

-488 ( 50% troll urgent uptime )

any more questions?

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

Chopps.5047

LOL no.

976 troll urgent
+255 regeneration
+85 mango pie

sry you are right, i heal for 1438 a sec. my mistake.

ohhh and sigil of blood every 2 sec for 553.

976 troll urgent
+255 regeneration
+85 mango pie
+276,5 ( 553 / 2 ) superior sigil of blood

-488 ( 50% troll urgent uptime )

any more questions?

These kids don’t have a clue. No reason to talk sense into them. I mean, you don’t ven have Natural Healing lol they literally know nothing about regen ranger.

Coarr.3286

no because i have 0 points in the beastmastery traitline. with natural healing the perma healing / sec would increase by 44,3 (133/3sec, no healingpower scaling)

oh and my healing power would increase 1000 → 1300
= 1270,8 HP / sec

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

(edited by Coarr.3286)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Maybe what the game needs is diminishing returns on all stats so those who use only one stat will get less and less benefit. In lots of games I’ve played there is both DR on stats AND a cap to how high a stat can be, now that Ascended is released (and to make sure it’s the last tier) implement a stat CAP and diminishing returns to high stat numbers.

BAM Healing Power is back in check AND might even help with the Berserker “problem”

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

What makes it even worse is not all classes are created equal in the scaling. Some classes (cough guardian cough) allow scaling like crazy in every skill, while others like engineer hardly have any skills that scale healing properly. It makes for a really really poor system in which they don’t even have the Arenanet trinity. Right now they just have burst damage zerker builds that are the most effective in PVE.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Nova Stiker.8396

What makes it even worse is not all classes are created equal in the scaling. Some classes (cough guardian cough) allow scaling like crazy in every skill, while others like engineer hardly have any skills that scale healing properly. It makes for a really really poor system in which they don’t even have the Arenanet trinity. Right now they just have burst damage zerker builds that are the most effective in PVE.

Healing Power and Power are the only attributes that scales differently from skill to trait.
Making it very off putting to new players when they spec 100 points into healing power and only see a 25 healing boost from their healing skill.

As for power, you will always see an modest increase, after all, every skill uses power.

There shouldn’t be a place for Healing Power in Guild Wars 2.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Healing Power and Power are the only attributes that scales differently from skill to trait.
Making it very off putting to new players when they spec 100 points into healing power and only see a 25 healing boost from their healing skill.

As for power, you will always see an modest increase, after all, every skill uses power.

There shouldn’t be a place for Healing Power in Guild Wars 2.

Actually there should but there should be ample means of it scaling properly to actually make support heal more than the tiny damage that the level 5 zone scaling provides. My heals should never be 198 at max healing while running around Orr, there’s seriously something wrong there. Secondly, increasing the scale of healing improves the overall team diversity, and third even if they fixed that if they actually made the trinity exist again in this game (their own trinity not the holy) they’d still have problems with people getting credit for events or for kills because people would be so busy keeping people alive there wouldn’t be enough kill credit under their all DPS credit system they have for events, so basically people would remain zerkers. Until they fix that major aspect of the game nothing will change. It’s the same for condition damage you can throw torment and a 2% damage increase per condition all you want but until you improve the overall condition system it’s going to be gimpt.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I’m curious, can you point out the skills that guardian has that scale so well compared to other professions?

Nova Stiker.8396

I’m curious, can you point out the skills that guardian has that scale so well compared to other professions?

I don’t think the scaling is what makes it good, a large number of traits, skills and utilities that benefit from Healing Power.

How many traits, skills and utilities benefit from Healing Power on a Warrior? Two.

Just.
Two.

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

How can it be the most worthless and the most powerful? That’s a weird combination of words. Healing power doesn’t kill anything

it doesnet affect the dps ,but healing and regen can be very op…

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

it’s mostly the dodge roll its a 1:1 ratio +250

Nova Stiker.8396

I looked up the scaling for Healing Signet, it’s 0.05

That’s is it’s passive AND active.

At 0 Healing Power, it’s passive heals 392 health a second and active is 3275.

At 1,500 Healing Power, it’s passive heals 467 health a second and the active is 3350?!

Is that a bug? The active gets almost no change, you have to completely rely on the passive effect.

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Healing power is additive with additive stacking. In that (unfair) case, it simply adds 75 HP.

ANet needs to change HP to work multiplicatively. Like “every 1500 healing power, your healings are doubled”. It doesn’t matter if the make the stacking additively or multiplicatively.

Posted by: matemaster.2168

matemaster.2168

So according to OP healing power is
underpowered+overpowered=average

Healing power is average

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

At 1,500 Healing Power, it’s passive heals 467 health a second and the active is 3350?!

Is that a bug? The active gets almost no change, you have to completely rely on the passive effect.

the passive is 0.05, the active is 0.5

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

the passive is 0.05, the active is 0.5

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

digiowl.9620

PVP and PVE are two very different beasts, because the baseline health and DPS are much more balanced. In PVE however you get mobs that hit harder than a zerker, yet can take damage a SPVP bunker could only dream about.

digiowl.9620

PVP and PVE are two very different beasts, because the baseline health and DPS are much more balanced. In PVE however you get mobs that hit harder than a zerker, yet can take damage a SPVP bunker could only dream about.

Nova Stiker.8396

So according to OP healing power is
underpowered+overpowered=average

Healing power is average

No.

Either it can be really good or really useless. There is no sweet spot, there is no average.

I think Guild Wars 2 gameplay and balance would improve if Healing Power would be replaced.