Hellfire & Radiant - Alternative means

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I think I spent less time on getting all of the Dry Top achieves + all achievements of the 4 episodes, than on the marionette achievements alone.
It takes only like 1-2 hours (depends a bit on your jumping skills I guess) to collect all the coins on dry top with dulfys guide and replaying all the story instances for the achievements also barely took any effort and mostly completly effortless in a full group.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I think the ap requirements are set too high

Seconded.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Plot twist: the new Pinnacle Weapons (very high in AP rewards) have footprint effects, and change projectile animations like The Dreamer, Kudzu, and The Bifrost.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Hey I got a question for you, Malediktus. You are pretty adamant on issues like these, but I’m curious – are there any alternatives that you would be satisfied with? Or are you only happy with the system staying the way it is?

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Plot twist: the new Pinnacle Weapons (very high in AP rewards) have footprint effects, and change projectile animations like The Dreamer, Kudzu, and The Bifrost.

Link? Source?

Malediktus.9250

Hey I got a question for you, Malediktus. You are pretty adamant on issues like these, but I’m curious – are there any alternatives that you would be satisfied with? Or are you only happy with the system staying the way it is?

Anet should add more achievements per patch (as long as they make sense) and more importantly reward fair amount of points. 3 AP for dozens of hours of playing or 25 AP for 5 legendaries is stupid.

Labjax.2465

Anet should add more achievements per patch (as long as they make sense) and more importantly reward fair amount of points. 3 AP for dozens of hours of playing or 25 AP for 5 legendaries is stupid.

Fair enough. I could get behind that.

Or words to that effect.

Malediktus.9250

I have the feeling their might be an expansion next year. The current updates feel way too small for 300 employes, looks more like something about 25 people work on. I guess a true expansion might add upto 5000 new AP in one go.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

A true expansion better add more than 5000 ap in one go. It should double what’s currently available.

Something else that needs to be done is extend currently available achievements like the ones to kill certain types of mobs. Why do they have such low caps when there are wvw ones that are impossible to get in any amount of time? I always thought that was really strange design choice.

The same goes for the weapon type achievements.

Labjax.2465

Both good points.

Concerning the kill/weapon stuff, I agree completely. That is, as long as they are not raised to the same level of absurdity as the wvw ones. I imagine it would take minimal work to raise them.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

At 17k AP and drooling over both sets, I am fine with the current numbers. One day.. One day! Long term goals for the win!

(When you are over 40, you will understand better)

Malediktus.9250

A true expansion better add more than 5000 ap in one go. It should double what’s currently available.

Something else that needs to be done is extend currently available achievements like the ones to kill certain types of mobs. Why do they have such low caps when there are wvw ones that are impossible to get in any amount of time? I always thought that was really strange design choice.

Arent expansions usually smaller than the base game? So I am doubtful that it would double the amount of available AP

fellyn.5083

Arent expansions usually smaller than the base game? So I am doubtful that it would double the amount of available AP

It depends on how big the expansion is.

If it’s only 1 new area and of similar size to season 1 living story (which would be disappointing) then yeah, 5000 ap.

But if it’s an expansion comparable in size to ones they made for GW1 then15000 to 20000 ap or more would not seem unrealistic. Those expansions added content in equal size to the prophecies, so basically an entire new game tacked onto it.

We also have to consider that the amount of ap being given out for new achievements has been trending downward since the end of season one. In season one the average achievement gave 5 points. With some giving 50 points and some times more.

Malediktus.9250

I sometimes have the feeling anet is rolling a dice about how much AP an achievement should give. Or completly different devs worked on them and they did not look at past achievements to make everything in line.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I suspect it’s because ANet thinks that they gave out too many AP during LS1. The amounts they gave out during LS2 are closer to what they feel is now appropriate.

They also don’t want to create the impression that high AP is something that’s only for the rich. If Legendaries gave, say, 25 AP each, then it could open up ANet to accusations that the rich are getting preferred treatment. That’s why the various Black Lion collections give out such a piddly amount of AP.

fellyn.5083

I suspect it’s because ANet thinks that they gave out too many AP during LS1. The amounts they gave out during LS2 are closer to what they feel is now appropriate.

They also don’t want to create the impression that high AP is something that’s only for the rich. If Legendaries gave, say, 25 AP each, then it could open up ANet to accusations that the rich are getting preferred treatment. That’s why the various Black Lion collections give out such a piddly amount of AP.

I don’t think that’s the case at all. I think they’re using it as a way to get people to play more by feeding on obsessive compulsive tendencies and/or addictions.

Because the more people play the more likely they are to spend money.

And also they’ve shown time and time again shown that they clearly don’t think things through one day to the next. This armor set being given out at completely arbitrary ap tiers is example enough of that.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think I spent less time on getting all of the Dry Top achieves + all achievements of the 4 episodes, than on the marionette achievements alone.
It takes only like 1-2 hours (depends a bit on your jumping skills I guess) to collect all the coins on dry top with dulfys guide and replaying all the story instances for the achievements also barely took any effort and mostly completly effortless in a full group.

Marionette, like the Six Minutes to Knightfall, was one of the very few exceptions. Exceptions don’t make rules.

All previous achievements were much easier. But still gave a lot more AP than typical achievements.

I suspect that, come the end of Season 2, we’ll be getting new ‘very time consuming/challenging’ achievements. if you look at the S2 achievements in the Story Journal tab, they reward more and more as the story went on.

If it’s only 1 new area and of similar size to season 1 living story (which would be disappointing) then yeah, 5000 ap.

But if it’s an expansion comparable in size to ones they made for GW1 then15000 to 20000 ap or more would not seem unrealistic. Those expansions added content in equal size to the prophecies, so basically an entire new game tacked onto it.

We also have to consider that the amount of ap being given out for new achievements has been trending downward since the end of season one. In season one the average achievement gave 5 points. With some giving 50 points and some times more.

GW1 didn’t have an expansion until Eye of the North. Factions and Nightfall were stand-alone campaigns. Basically, they were their own game. Not an expansion.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

fellyn.5083

Marionette, like the Six Minutes to Knightfall, was one of the very few exceptions. Exceptions don’t make rules.

All previous achievements were much easier. But still gave a lot more AP than typical achievements.

I suspect that, come the end of Season 2, we’ll be getting new ‘very time consuming/challenging’ achievements. if you look at the S2 achievements in the Story Journal tab, they reward more and more as the story went on.

GW1 didn’t have an expansion until Eye of the North. Factions and Nightfall were stand-alone campaigns. Basically, they were their own game. Not an expansion.

I’m well aware of that. I’m using the term expansion in a general sense, mostly because GW2 won’t and can’t be getting stand alone campaigns like GW1 did. The design of the game rules that out.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

those armor skins are for AP hunters. go hunt AP to deserve it. you and me will reach there some day. i’m still at 15k. looooong way to a complete set. i don’t complain.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

At 17k AP and drooling over both sets, I am fine with the current numbers. One day.. One day! Long term goals for the win!

(When you are over 40, you will understand better)

Have you actually looked at them? You are going to die of old age before you complete either set, let alone both.

I don’t really mind that getting both, or what comes after them, is so high up there, I mind that you can’t complete either set. It should be that completing one set is for middling achievers, and completing both and beyond for the hardcore chievo chasers. But instead, you get a nonsensical mix for middling achievers and both complete sets for the hardcore achievers with no in-between. All because ANet didn’t properly plan ahead or pay good enough attention to how much AP they were handing out.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

fellyn.5083

those armor skins are for AP hunters. go hunt AP to deserve it. you and me will reach there some day. i’m still at 15k. looooong way to a complete set. i don’t complain.

Nevermind the fact that there isn’t enough ap in the game to complete even one of them.

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

These armors are a long term reward. You’re not supposed to be able to get them quickly.
Remember how long it took someone to finally get r15 hero rank with dragon emote in gw1? 4 years.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

These armors are a long term reward. You’re not supposed to be able to get them quickly.
Remember how long it took someone to finally get r15 hero rank with dragon emote in gw1? 4 years.

Is that supposed to be a good example ? “Remember, Anet did worse things regarding grinding”. Because in GW2 they upped themselves with some of the WvW achievements.

fellyn.5083

Please show us where anet said these are supposed to be long term reward. I’m pretty sure you can’t because they haven’t ever said anything like it.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Please show us where anet said these are supposed to be long term reward. I’m pretty sure you can’t because they haven’t ever said anything like it.

I’m sure the fact they have high AP requirements isn’t proof enough…

fellyn.5083

I’m sure the fact they have high AP requirements isn’t proof enough…

The only thing it’s proof of is the order in which they were added to the game.

Posted by: thekap.8645

thekap.8645

Just going to put this out there without reading all the comments. The problem isnt the levels of which you achieve them it is the fact that anet has drastically nerfed achieve point gain. During season 1 200-400 new achievement points were released every 2 weeks now we barely get 100 new points a month. they need to go back to the achievement point levels they had previously. A current example of bad achievement points set up is collectibles, each dungeon set only giving 3 AP really now these should be around 100 ap per dungeon. Also legendary collector only giving 5 ap for a legendary once agani should be around 100 ap per legendary. at current rate of additional achievement points you are probably not going to see anyone finish a set for 3-4 years

Calidorne – L80 Ranger – Commander

Posted by: Nannabie.6943

Nannabie.6943

I picked Radiant gear set.. And after seeing the full set with legs and chest i kinda wish i had picked Hellfire. After adding new parts of the set I think it would be fair if we could re-pick the gear we want coz for me the Radiant chest and legs are not for me.

I wanna get that option to change set!

Another thing i wanna agree with are the fact that i soon will get Hellfire hands and not next part of that set i got now. Why the mix

Posted by: Lodius.5392

Lodius.5392

A tad to far? lol… that’s what this game is all about… have you ever seen anyone with the “Yak Slapper” title?

It’s kill 1 million Dolyak’s in WvW or something… yeah…..

Malediktus.9250

I picked Radiant gear set.. And after seeing the full set with legs and chest i kinda wish i had picked Hellfire. After adding new parts of the set I think it would be fair if we could re-pick the gear we want coz for me the Radiant chest and legs are not for me.

Another thing i wanna agree with are the fact that i soon will get Hellfire hands and not next part of that set i got now. Why the mix

Repicking would be very hard to program, since you get it unlocked in your wardrobe and also have it transmuted on who knows how many equipment pieces. I dont think anet has any way to remove items from your wardrobe or automatically remove skins from items at this time.

Posted by: Nannabie.6943

Nannabie.6943

ya i know :(
2 bad coz hellfire looks amazing on my asura xD

Posted by: Auruan.2837

Auruan.2837

Wow, am I glad there’s so much response to this! Took me a while to get back and read it all, but some people have made very good points here.

I like how everyone either straight up agrees or disagrees about this being too exclusive. Also, it seems that most people wouldn’t want an actual alternative means to obtain the set, so much as adding more ways to earn more permanent Achievement Points. Which I think is a really good point.

In fact, that alone is a very interesting point of discussion to me. I love hunting titles and fun achievements in most games I play. It adds some challenge, and the rewards tend to make up for some of the gruesome achievements out there. Except that on Guild Wars 2, it’s become quantity over quality. I would much rather have them shift the Radiant and Hellfire sets to be based only on your account’s permanent achievement points, rather than dailies and monthlies. That way, you get to see more of the game’s world, and you actually have quite a challenge to take on.

As for the ridiculously stupid permanent Achievements: I own a legendary myself. Those measly 5 Achievement Points you get for binding one to your account are really silly. They made me giggle at the time.

Anyway, I want to add one more point of discussion for those who claim that this set is so exclusive. Yes, I agree: it’s a beautiful long-term goal to work toward! But say that in about half a year, the first people are going to obtain the full sets. That’s great! They’ll be really special and beautiful.

What happens after more and more people catch up?
Due to the current system, there is this moment wherein the sets will no longer be as exclusive. Which is why tying them to different amounts of AP, or tying them to specific achievements, may add to how exclusive and unique they truly are and stay.

While my legendary is not unique in any way, I did work for it, and the people I meet are generally impressed by that in a sense. It’s one of those things that are time-consuming to get, and not everyone would want to devote to it. I’m sure happy I got it. The same applies to Ascended weapons, which you have to earn. But Achievement Points in this game often feel like a coincidence, much more now that the majority of people obtained the basic few thousand permanent points. The rest of them grind dailies, and those more often than not just sort of fly your way by doing anything.

There is that moment, several years from now, where everyone and their goat who plays a few hours a week, is going to have at least 30k AP. They’ll all have these sets by then, which is great. But the exclusiveness is… less than great, by then. More food for thought!

Malediktus.9250

Anet will just add more rewards if enough people ever reach 36k AP. Maybe one of the reasons they make getting more AP harder. They want to save time on not having to make new non gemstore stuff.

fellyn.5083

Repicking would be very hard to program, since you get it unlocked in your wardrobe and also have it transmuted on who knows how many equipment pieces. I dont think anet has any way to remove items from your wardrobe or automatically remove skins from items at this time.

Are we supposed to be concerned with what’s hard to program or not? Since they added the complete set after the majority of people already chose multiple pieces it’s only fair to let us repick and keep the previous items we unlocked.

I don’t care how hard something is for them to fix, I only care that they implemented it so poorly to begin with. It’s their problem to fix, no matter if it takes 1 day or 1 year.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Malediktus.9250

We all know Anet always takes the easy route when designing something that wont increase the gem shop revenue.

Auruan.2837

Are we supposed to be concerned with what’s hard to program or not? Since they added the complete set after the majority of people already chose multiple pieces it’s only fair to let us repick and keep the previous items we unlocked.

I don’t care how hard something is for them to fix, I only care that they implemented it so poorly to begin with. It’s their problem to fix, no matter if it takes 1 day or 1 year.

I’m willing to wait that year, so long as we get a heads up about such updates being planned and worked on. Altogether, I simply agree that it’d only be fair if we can re-choose if they do overhaul the current AP values, or the rewards in general.

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

I support making them more accessible.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I have the feeling their might be an expansion next year.

Good thing there is no achievement for spelling. If there were, you might fall to 18th, and we all know how important that standing is.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Long term goals means no, you don’t get it rightnowimmediatelybecauseIwantitrightnowimmediately. They aren’t impossible to attain. It’s just gonna take time, and all those who want immediate gratification are just out of luck.

This is not a long term goal. Currently it is a “in a several years maaaaybeeee one or two people will get it. Assuming they will be still playing” type of goal. The “most of people that currently are on top 1000 leaderboard will likely never get it” kind of goal. The “yakslapper” type of goal.

And yes, currently they are quite literally impossible to attain. And this isn’t going to change for a looong time.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Auruan.2837

Long term goals means no, you don’t get it rightnowimmediatelybecauseIwantitrightnowimmediately. They aren’t impossible to attain. It’s just gonna take time, and all those who want immediate gratification are just out of luck.

This is not a long term goal. Currently it is a “in a several years maaaaybeeee one or two people will get it. Assuming they will be still playing” type of goal. The “most of people that currently are on top 1000 leaderboard will likely never get it” kind of goal. The “yakslapper” type of goal.

And yes, currently they are quite literally impossible to attain. And this isn’t going to change for a looong time.

Yes, this was exactly my point. I don’t mind working toward a long-term goal. I even managed to obtain a legendary, and in the end I thought that was mostly worth it. When it comes to these glorious sets, they just sort of sit there. It’s almost an insult to the artists who produced them: no-one can wear them, and no-one is going to obtain them for at least a year more if the AP system stays as it is.

I’m all for long-term goals. I’m all for life-time goals, like those WvW achievements – those were obviously meant as a goal for people over years of playing, like the Hero rank in the original Guild Wars. But these armour sets? Not remotely comparable. They’re somewhat misplaced and the method of obtaining them could do with a polish.