Hellfire frustration

Hellfire frustration

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

So I’ve been wanting to make a destroyer themed character. The only reliable method of having a fiery rocky armour is the hellfire suit. Primordus weapons, etc, flame citadel chest in the meantime, got petty far, recently got the boots. I’m not a RP person, but i got thing for destroyers, a gw1 love i suppose.
But now my frustration kicks in, 5 chests in i can see in gonna get the radiant boots.
Why?
I dont want radiant boots.
Radiant armour is not my thing.
Why must i complete the radiant armour set along with the hellfire set?
Now i have 7 pieces, of which only 4 are hellfire. And i gotta finish the radiant boots and radiant legs before i get access to the hellfire chestpiece.
Again, why? You can strip all this radiant armour from my wardrobe, i don’t want it, i don’t need it.
I’m here for hellfire.
It’s like locking all dungeon armours per set. First you must unlock all gloves, then you may unlock all shoulders, etc.
Makes no sense to me. And I’ve been working hard on achievements for 5 years, but alas, radiant armour is so bright its not a light at the end of the tunnel, it’s so bright the tunnel is invisible and i keep bumping my toes into the walls yelling *QUAGGAN!!

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Maikimaik.1974

Maikimaik.1974

Can’t you choose between radiant and hellfire?

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yes, you choose which one you want the first time the armor pieces are available for you. After that, though, you have to take the pieces in the order they come; so, the next time you have the boots as your reward, you HAVE to take the other pair that you didn’t choose the first time.

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Skin Rewards based on AP are probably one of the most incongruent things in the whole game.

A game which is base on farming and aesthetic, which somehow rewards you with skins ( fortunately are just 2 kind of weapon skins and 2 armor ) which can’t be obtained through farming nor tp, it’s really senseless.

Let’s be clear, i think it’s not a big dead since we are talking about 1 or 2 skins… but why?

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

to get the chestpiece though…my god that AP Requirement.. been here since beta and only have 11k AP o_O

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Hellfire frustration

Amaimon.7823

yes, but not the type of armour. So the first time you can choose which helmet you get, then a few chests later you get the other one.
So you get both helmets, both gloves, etc…
So you have 5 radiant armour pieces before you have a full set of hellfire.

Hellfire frustration

Amaimon.7823

Skin Rewards based on AP are probably one of the most incongruent things in the whole game.

A game which is base on farming and aesthetic, which somehow rewards you with skins ( fortunately are just 2 kind of weapon skins and 2 armor ) which can’t be obtained through farming nor tp, it’s really senseless.

Let’s be clear, i think it’s not a big dead since we are talking about 1 or 2 skins… but why?

Its not a catastrophe, i have flame citadel chestpiece to cover up in meantime. But the problem is, that’s clearly metal, and not rock.
Alternately i tried the leyrock armour, but the glowth is fixed blue, if i could dye the glow red that would’ve worked

Hellfire frustration

Shirlias.8104

Its not a catastrophe, i have flame citadel chestpiece to cover up in meantime. But the problem is, that’s clearly metal, and not rock.
Alternately i tried the leyrock armour, but the glowth is fixed blue, if i could dye the glow red that would’ve worked

i also said that is not a big deal, and whatever at the end it’s always up to the player to fix in the best possible way. But still despite the fact that is a little thing, i still don’t get why did they have to proceed that way.

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: tairneanach.8427

tairneanach.8427

Many, many achievements are pure farming. Just look at the weapon master achievements (95’001 kills in total) or Agent of Entropy (25’500 items salvaged), the rare collections… If you want lots of AP, you have to do some serious farming.

Hellfire frustration

Shirlias.8104

We re talking about skins Through achies.

You want to achieve a specific drop from a rare collection? You farm or pay. You invest some time.

If you have to reach 30k ap good luck with it.
There’s difference between serious farming and nearly infinites.

Hellfire frustration

Amaimon.7823

Many, many achievements are pure farming. Just look at the weapon master achievements (95’001 kills in total) or Agent of Entropy (25’500 items salvaged), the rare collections… If you want lots of AP, you have to do some serious farming.

Yea, i accepted that five years ago, as i said I’ve been grinding AP for five years now. The frustration is that you have to work on two armour sets simultaneously. You can’t earn hellfire without earning radiant armour.

So, it’s like saying
A slayer achievement and a weapons master achievement, whose tiers must be done alternately.
Or every 5000 salvages for Entropy you must do a different grind first

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Super Hayes.6890

Super Hayes.6890

I have the same issue as the OP but I want the radiant set. To be honest I gave up and decided I will never be able to get the achievement points necessary for the whole set unless AP acquisition is increased. Been playing since Beta and have around 12,000. Cant even remember because I don’t check. It is a shame since I want it but can’t feasibly get it.

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I understand the frustration about the AP armor skins, but I also understand why Anet did it this way. They want there to be a very long term goal for people who play the game for years. If AP was increased, players would reach the end of the AP line and then that long-term goal would be gone.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Super Hayes.6890

Super Hayes.6890

I’ve always thought exclusive titles make the best long term rewards. I hate for skins to be locked behind such systems.

Hellfire frustration

Amaimon.7823

Well, here’s to hoping Path of Fire comes with a big bowl of APs

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Judging from the demo weekend, it won’t. The achievements followed the same path as HoT, giving out pitiful amounts of AP

Hellfire frustration

Amaimon.7823

Judging from the demo weekend, it won’t. The achievements followed the same path as HoT, giving out pitiful amounts of AP

Nraagh.. ive already run out of conceivable achievements.. everything’s long hard work for 1-3 points now……
And ill soon have pvp maxed out..
I despise wvw for every synonym in the bible, but if thats the last place with ap left..
I missed a lot of LS 1 due to an internship.. so thats “dead AP”

21.5k AP now, i still need 17.5k AP more, i doubt PoF will have even half that

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Hellfire frustration

OriOri.8724

Honestly we’ll be extremely lucky to get 3k out of it. Don’t even dream of anything close to 8-9k

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

to get the chestpiece though…my god that AP Requirement.. been here since beta and only have 11k AP o_O

That’s kinda your fault for not doing any AP tbf though

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Mel.3064

Mel.3064

30k seems to be doable even if you missed every single historic AP, 39k on the other hand for the backpacks… Not even doable for the top players.
I would not be suprised if PoF gives even less AP than HoT also, there is no such thing as precursor collections or the pvp legendary backkpack stuff (which gave about 500 AP in total!) this time.
I think we will see 1000 AP for doing absolutly everything in PoF

I’ve always thought exclusive titles make the best long term rewards. I hate for skins to be locked behind such systems.

Noone likes the AP titles, they are horrible. I have yet to see one of the top AP players use them. GW1 had way better completionist titles

(edited by Mel.3064)

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Honestly we’ll be extremely lucky to get 3k out of it. Don’t even dream of anything close to 8-9k

Out of curiosity i went and ran the math for unique AP released after HoT that is still obtainable.

Using those parameters got 2912 AP so if PoF is more of an expansion and less feature heavy then 3k is reasonable and probably not even out of the question.

Hellfire frustration

Mel.3064

Quick google found this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/The-great-achievement-point-depression

So no 3k does not sound reasonable unless you also include the 2 years of updates until the next expansion

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are three separate issues being raised in the thread, only loosely connected:

• Why are Hellfire & Radiant armors offered in the order they are, rather than allowing us complete choice, such as we get with the Zenith weapons?
  • Should the AP rewards be revamped, nearly 5 years after their introduction? (Related: are the thresholds reasonable for the individual rewards?)
  • Does ANet offer “enough” AP in HoT, LS3, Side Stories, and will they offer “enough” in PoF and LS4 (and any future side stories)? (Begging the question: what’s “enough”?)

Each of those are worthy of their own thread and I think trying to hash them all out in a single thread does disservice to each. Radiant/Hellfire can be reordered/resequenced without worrying about the big picture, but a full revamp (with moving around thresholds are rewards) would require much, much more attention. ANet could offer more AP (or less) without changing the current AP rewards and without worrying about Radiant or Hellfire.

In other words: keep it simple, let’s focus on the OP’s primary complaint, which is: why do we have to pick 2 radiants before we can get 3 hellfires (or vice versa)?

My answer: because for some reason, it seemed like a good idea at the time to someone.

I’d have no problem with ANet changing things so that at each of the six current thresholds, you can pick any of the remaining in whatever order you like. Aside from the fact that no development work is ever “easy” or “free”, this might be one of the easier changes for them to make.

It’s certainly likely to be easier than a total revamp of rewards or letting us in on their overall plans for AP in general.

tl;dr focus on the OP’s request. It seems reasonable and doable, without much dev attention (whereas most of the other ideas teased about in the thread wouldn’t be ‘easy’ including insisting that people simply go out and earn more AP).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Hellfire frustration

Mel.3064

Honestly I think it is too late to change the order now without getting a lot of the 30k AP people upset, I am sure a nonzero amount farmed that ap only for the skin. So introducing more AP is the most fair way to handle this, even if it means more work for Anet

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

ANet should remove the daily/monthly AP cap.

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Quick google found this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/The-great-achievement-point-depression

So no 3k does not sound reasonable unless you also include the 2 years of updates until the next expansion

As i said, 2912 Post HoT and update AP that are still available, this means it includes all of LS3 and Side Story + PvP revamp (sans Tournament). No WvW was counted in this.

3k is very possible at that point.

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I mean, its not like they really just throw it at you either, alot of the stuff i have left is either grinding or spending massive amounts of money(dwayna collection and such) for a very small pay out.

Plus, ive been busy with RL. I fully expect to be behind everyone else and im perfectly fine with that. I do what i enjoy in the game and ive maxed out the AP i can gain in most of that content(just started doing fractals though)

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Hellfire frustration

OriOri.8724

Out of curiosity i went and ran the math for unique AP released after HoT that is still obtainable.

Using those parameters got 2912 AP so if PoF is more of an expansion and less feature heavy then 3k is reasonable and probably not even out of the question.

You seem to be counting all of the AP that was released during HoT, and every release since then in the past 2 years. So in total, with both an expansion AND 2 years worth of content we got less than 3k AP.

So yes, its entirely unreasonable to expect 3k AP from PoF. Maybe from PoF + LWS4 + 2 years of current events (though a decent chunk of the AP added since HoT was in 1 time PvP achievs for the new class and the map specific ones (about 500 total), and we won’t see something similar for PoF).

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

You seem to be counting all of the AP that was released during HoT, and every release since then in the past 2 years. So in total, with both an expansion AND 2 years worth of content we got less than 3k AP.

So yes, its entirely unreasonable to expect 3k AP from PoF. Maybe from PoF + LWS4 + 2 years of current events (though a decent chunk of the AP added since HoT was in 1 time PvP achievs for the new class and the map specific ones (about 500 total), and we won’t see something similar for PoF).

He did say released after HoT not With HoT……

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So in total, with both an expansion AND 2 years worth of content we got less than 3k AP.

So I was hoping this discussion would stick to the OP’s concern (the choice or lack thereof among hellfire/radiant skins), but since we’re going over AP, here’s the break down I have as of about 4 months ago (last time I recollated the data)

• Dailies: 15k
  • Core: 10k (includes activities, dungeons, SAB, general, pvp, etc, LS2)
  • HoT only: ~1.3k
  • LS1: ~4.7k (includes non-repeat festivals, wvw seasons)
  • Mixed: ~1.5k (cross-era collections, yearly festivals counted for each year as best I could)
  • Post-HoT ~1.3k (Current Events, LS3.1-3.5, new PvP)

That is, regardless of when you started the game, the biggest chunk of AP comes from dailies and the second biggest chunk comes from stuff available to everyone. A much smaller chunk comes from the 18-month-long LS1 era, which offered about 30% more than what’s been made available since.

The era that I’m calling LS1 lasted from 2012-mid 2014 (the last story launched in March, the new LS2 era began in July) and includes the third largest chunk of AP. However, only about 60% of it was from the LS itself. Some came from retired fractal chieves, some from the festivals, some from WvW. During that era, there was a ton of temporary content, that we can’t progress any longer.

The LS3 era lasted nearly exactly a year (or just over if you count from LS3.1 to PoF) and offered 1.3k, so about 60-70% slower pace than the LS1 era (extrapolating to the 18 months of LS1).

ANet seems to prefer a slower pace of adding AP than they offered at launch. That hurts veterans, as AP trickles in now, but it’s great for new players, who won’t have so much trouble catching up (even for those who don’t care about being in the top 1000, it can feel daunting to see folks with 20k and more).

So the question is: is there anything wrong with a slower rate of AP gain? if so, what?

I get that people want rewards sooner rather than later, but is that really the best thing for the game? Isn’t it better for the game to dish out AP slowly, so folks can’t really grind themselves into boredom try to get all the AP-specific shinies?

Well, maybe not, since clearly the OP is impatient to finish off the hellfire set. And they aren’t alone.

tl;dr bulk of AP is really from core & dailies. LS1 era had a much faster pace of adding AP than later eras, but it was all temporary stuff. The new pace has been consistent for a longer period of time.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing for the game? Is it more a matter of perception of veterans or is the pace of AP too slow?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

ANet should remove the daily/monthly AP cap.

Yeah, that, once you hit the cap and get all the low-hanging fruit achievements your AP gain just straight-up stops for the most part (punctuated by the meager AP you get from LS episodes).

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

In other words: keep it simple, let’s focus on the OP’s primary complaint, which is: why do we have to pick 2 radiants before we can get 3 hellfires (or vice versa)?

Answer: because when they released the achievement rewards it only included Helmet, Gloves and Mantle. So you got the 3 of one set first, then the 3 of the other one. It was a simple solution that did exactly what the OP is asking (you get first the complete Hellfire then the complete Radiant set)

However, years passed and Anet decided to add the boots. Instead of revamping the system, to add the boots as 4th in a row, they instead added both boots at the end, so you get them after you unlock all 6 previous skins.

Even later, they added leggings and chest, since they added them at the same time, they allow players to unlock the chest/leg combo of their choice first, before going for the other one, so you can unlock both radiant leggings and chest before you have to deal with hellfire.

Then they added the backpacks which require you to unlock everything else first.
My most logical explanation as to why they do not do what the OP is asking (which would make absolute sense to do) is due to technical reasons and retroactively awarding those skins. Suppose you unlocked both versions of the Boots and now working towards your first leggings, giving the leggings faster to new players wouldn’t be so fair to older players that were hunting for achievements for a very long time.

Further, let’s say that they make it so you unlock a complete set before moving to the next, this would mean they will CHANGE the achievement rewards. What if someone already has both boots for example? Now his second boot will go to 30k+ AP but will they remove his skin and replace it with the lower AP reward? Isn’t it too much of a hassle to do such a change now, taking back skins and giving other skins in their place?

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Epphyx.5078

Epphyx.5078

The full hellfir is only 30 K AP.
It’s doable before PoF but not quick and easy.
You don’t even need to chase collection to obtain it.
But you do need to participate in all aspect of the game.

Hellfire frustration

maddoctor.2738

Let’s see.

Historical Achievements:
LS1: 2712 AP
Festival: 1626 AP
Retired: 246 AP
Total: 4584 AP are no longer available in the game

Achievements added since Heart of Thorns:
Collections: 475 AP
Fractals: 70 AP
Raids: 460 AP
PVP: 945 AP
Side Story: 368 AP
Heart of Thorns: 731 AP
Story Journal: 878 AP
Extra: 193 AP
Total: 4120 AP

A lot of the festivals (6 of them) happened after Heart of Thorns some of those 1626 festival AP need to be added to this total.

2 years worth of content = 4.5k Achievement Points and we are not at the 2 year mark yet. We are missing at least 1 Festival until that point.

Edit: I forgot to add the 110 AP from the revamped Shatterer Achievements, added them to the “extra” category bringing the total to 4120 AP without counting the 2015/2016 festivals.

Festivals after the release of Heart of Thorns:
Shadow of the Mad King 2015: 64 AP
A Very Merry Wintersday 2015: 208 AP
Lunar New Year 2016: 109 AP
Shadow of the Mad King 2016: 64 AP
A Very Merry Wintersday 2016: 188 AP
Total: 633 AP

Grand Total of Achievement Points added to the game since October 2015: 4753

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

I mean, its not like they really just throw it at you either, alot of the stuff i have left is either grinding or spending massive amounts of money(dwayna collection and such) for a very small pay out.

Plus, ive been busy with RL. I fully expect to be behind everyone else and im perfectly fine with that. I do what i enjoy in the game and ive maxed out the AP i can gain in most of that content(just started doing fractals though)

Well Back then they did tbh lol.. You could easily earn around 200 odd from the seasons etc

However.. I will agree that the pay out – often for the work involved is….hmm.. very minor and very off putting.
Im not saying they should be huge, but when you go through a lot of work – or gold… and all you get is 5AP.. yer.. it’s like…why should i even bother.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Hellfire frustration

Amaimon.7823

Well Back then they did tbh lol.. You could easily earn around 200 odd from the seasons etc

However.. I will agree that the pay out – often for the work involved is….hmm.. very minor and very off putting.
Im not saying they should be huge, but when you go through a lot of work – or gold… and all you get is 5AP.. yer.. it’s like…why should i even bother.

lately there seems to be a trend that the longer and harsher collections, reward the least AP.
Like an entire dungeon track, 3 AP..
Though I hate SAB with every fibre in my body, the hard mode maps do offer a skritt ton of APs. I only have to do the last world next april and then that’s done. Hopefully wintersday and halloween will have a few new achievements, although I shouldn’t be hoping for more than 50-100 I guess

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

To be honest, I find the requirements for the Radiant and Hellfire sets to be quite ludicrous to begin with. To complete just a single set (including the back item) you need 39 000 AP. Even for a player who has played since launch, this is a massive undertaking, in fact in the five years since the game has been out, not a single player has yet to reach that milestone.

The top player in Europe currently has 35 016 AP. And the top in the US has 35 026. If we consider the possibility that these players have probably burned through a majority of the achievements and reached their caps for daily/monthly achievements, it means even just getting the last 4 000 AP to finish the set might take quite a significant amount of time.

The other issue is that these players likely already benefited from the significant amounts of AP one could acquire during temporary events, such as most of Living Story Season 1, or other events such as the Queens Gauntlet, Dragon Bash or Zephyrite Sanctum, which are all no longer available. So, it goes without saying that for newer players who might have missed those events, the task would seem even more enormous.

To put it bluntly, you’re looking at a set that could take years to complete, easily well over five years and possibly much more than that for newer players who cannot get AP’s as easily as we could in the past. It’s such a massive, overwhelming feat that I wouldn’t be surprised if even the most hardcore players simply wrote it off completely, and did not even bother to consider it.

In my opinion, if you create a reward that not even your absolute best or most dedicated players can get after 5 years, then something is seriously wrong. Lol.

Hellfire frustration

maddoctor.2738

In my opinion, if you create a reward that not even your absolute best or most dedicated players can get after 5 years, then something is seriously wrong. Lol.

You do know that once those players get that reward… the next one will appear right?

Hellfire frustration

Tenrai Senshi.2017

You do know that once those players get that reward… the next one will appear right?

Yes, but what is your point? That still doesn’t change my opinion of it.

Tying exclusive rewards to achievements in the first place is something I find a bit distasteful (I say this as someone with a fair share of achievement points).

I’m personally of the opinion that rewards should be given to players for overcoming in-game challenges, and certainly shouldn’t require you to play for years to get. Games are about enjoyment after all, and I don’t think any new player would enjoy the idea of having to wait a couple of years before they can acquire something they’d like for their character. I can understand maybe giving unique titles for achievements, but having entire sets of gear walled off behind them is a bit much.

Hellfire frustration

maddoctor.2738

My point is if they add a way to get more achievement points faster, then the next reward will appear, which will lead to requests about adding even more achievement points, which would lead to even more rewards and so on.
There is no limit or cap on achievement points, so they can increase to infinity, which also means infinite rewards, the faster players can earn achievement points, the more rewards they need to add on that list. More rewards means extra work for the devs, work for the tiny few leaderboard leaders.

PS: I think the major mistake they did is adding those rewards as skins on the wardrobe. Rewards that cannot be obtained (like the backpacks) shouldn’t be on the wardrobe, until they are within reach.

Hellfire frustration

Amaimon.7823

To be honest, I find the requirements for the Radiant and Hellfire sets to be quite ludicrous to begin with. To complete just a single set (including the back item) you need 39 000 AP. Even for a player who has played since launch, this is a massive undertaking, in fact in the five years since the game has been out, not a single player has yet to reach that milestone.

The top player in Europe currently has 35 016 AP. And the top in the US has 35 026. If we consider the possibility that these players have probably burned through a majority of the achievements and reached their caps for daily/monthly achievements, it means even just getting the last 4 000 AP to finish the set might take quite a significant amount of time.

The other issue is that these players likely already benefited from the significant amounts of AP one could acquire during temporary events, such as most of Living Story Season 1, or other events such as the Queens Gauntlet, Dragon Bash or Zephyrite Sanctum, which are all no longer available. So, it goes without saying that for newer players who might have missed those events, the task would seem even more enormous.

To put it bluntly, you’re looking at a set that could take years to complete, easily well over five years and possibly much more than that for newer players who cannot get AP’s as easily as we could in the past. It’s such a massive, overwhelming feat that I wouldn’t be surprised if even the most hardcore players simply wrote it off completely, and did not even bother to consider it.

5 years of active playing netted me 21.5k AP,
Ive nearly dried up all adequate pvp andvpve achievements, have resorted to buying minis for more. I missed a lot of LS1 due to internships, and thats AP we’ll never see again.

If instead of:
1 shoulder
The other shoulder
1 helmet
The other helmet

We would just get a Radiant Armor Box or a Hellfire Armor Box, i would be happy, then I’d have 6 hellfire pieces now, and 1 radiant piece. Instead I have 4 hellfire pieces and 3 radiant pieces.

And whats weird is, no one has reached the old cap yet, but theyve already made backpieces, titles, and pinacle weapons for after that..
The game might well be finished before we get there

Hellfire frustration

Tenrai Senshi.2017

My point is if they add a way to get more achievement points faster, then the next reward will appear, which will lead to requests about adding even more achievement points, which would lead to even more rewards and so on.
There is no limit or cap on achievement points, so they can increase to infinity, which also means infinite rewards, the faster players can earn achievement points, the more rewards they need to add on that list. More rewards means extra work for the devs, work for the tiny few leaderboard leaders.

PS: I think the major mistake they did is adding those rewards as skins on the wardrobe. Rewards that cannot be obtained (like the backpacks) shouldn’t be on the wardrobe, until they are within reach.

But I wasn’t asking for them to add more achievement points so we could earn it faster. I was simply highlighting the folly of the entire system to begin with. Tying cosmetic rewards to a point system where it can take years to acquire what you need is basically akin to punishing an overwhelming majority of your player base for no real reason.

I’d much prefer skill based rewards than rewards that are simply time gated. That’s not to say I think achievement rewards should be removed altogether, but they should be more generic and less exclusive (like titles, gold, gems or item rewards for things you can already get in game). I also don’t see the point in wasting resources on creating items or rewards that only an insignificant minority of your player base will ever get to use. Creating even more rewards after Radiant and Hellfire would in my eyes be approaching the point of insanity, because the higher you go, the fewer players will ever reach that point, and the more resources you are wasting for no reason.

Can you imagine one day if you develop this spectacular looking gear that can only be attained at 50k AP, and only one player ever gets to use it? Would you not see that as a waste of resources, where instead you could have developed content that everyone can enjoy?

(edited by Tenrai Senshi.2017)

Hellfire frustration

Posted by: Rankomonaut.4708

Rankomonaut.4708

I just wonder why someone who plays since the beta is still under 20k AP.
Must be focused on only one game mode I suspect..

Hellfire frustration

maddoctor.2738

Can you imagine one day if you develop this spectacular looking gear that can only be attained at 50k AP, and only one player ever gets to use it? Would you not see that as a waste of resources, where instead you could have developed content that everyone can enjoy?

Well according to this list: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_rewards
Achievement rewards go up to 60k and you will get the last of pinnacle skins at 56k so they planned ahead for many many years. At a rate of 2.5k AP per year that’s about 8 more years.

At 42k you get the last backguard, we’ll see in a couple of years if they add anything at 45k but I really doubt it, as you said, at that point it would be creating content for a tiny few people and not everyone.

Fun fact: there are not enough achievement chests up to 60k to add a third set like Radiant/Hellfire so it might be something else (if there is anything)

Hellfire frustration

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Well according to this list: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_rewards
Achievement rewards go up to 60k and you will get the last of pinnacle skins at 56k so they planned ahead for many many years. At a rate of 2.5k AP per year that’s about 8 more years.

At 42k you get the last backguard, we’ll see in a couple of years if they add anything at 45k but I really doubt it, as you said, at that point it would be creating content for a tiny few people and not everyone.

Fun fact: there are not enough achievement chests up to 60k to add a third set like Radiant/Hellfire so it might be something else (if there is anything)

Meanwhile, they could have used the resources that they wasted on the entire system and added more armor sets to HoTS when it was released that everyone could enjoy (as it was sorely lacking new sets). Hell, maybe they would have finished Legendary armor sooner, instead of almost two years after launch. XD

It’s all about priorities.

Hellfire frustration

maddoctor.2738

If instead of:
1 shoulder
The other shoulder
1 helmet
The other helmet

We would just get a Radiant Armor Box or a Hellfire Armor Box, i would be happy, then I’d have 6 hellfire pieces now, and 1 radiant piece. Instead I have 4 hellfire pieces and 3 radiant pieces.

First, you are wrong, that’s not how the rewards work.
It goes likes:
Glove
Shoulder
Helm
Glove
Shoulder
Helm

So for the first three you can finish one of the sets (full Radiant) and then you get the full Hellfire. That’s how the system works up until the boots.

Full answer here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hellfire-frustration/first#post6746493

In summary: the Radiant/Hellfire items weren’t added at the same time. Retroactively awarding skins is problematic and to my knowledge there has been no case in the game of removal of a skin from a player’s wardrobe. They can only add to it, not remove, therefore changing the contents of the reward chests at this point would cause a great deal of problems.

Would it make sense to make such a change? Yes. But it’s highly unlikely to make such a change given how you are awarded those skins, from chests that have FIXED rewards.