Hello!

Hello!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NGoHT.1932

NGoHT.1932

Hello! I just bought guild wars 2 and i just wanted to say Hi till its downloading

Also any starter tips for a newbie elementalist/necromancer are welcome since im planing to start one of those ^.^

Hello!

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Also any starter tips for a newbie elementalist/necromancer are welcome since im planing to start one of those ^.^

Don’t play as necromancer, other players hate them in PvE and kick them from groups saying they’re useless there.

Hello!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I hate to agree with Test, but he has a point. If you’re not pugging, and playing with a casual guild, you won’t have a problem with any profession, but if you’re trying to randomly pug stuff in PvE, necros got the short end of the stick right now.

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Thx for the warning
im planing to focus on pvp and pve only to level mostly. At least thats my plan so far Is it bad there too?
I really enjoyed disc. priest-ish gameplay back in my WoW days, anything slightly similar to it? (CC/protection/buff/shield/support etc)

Hello!

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Necro doesn’t have much support or buffs (especially for groups), but has good condi builds for PvP, or maybe power necro, if you’re feeling fancy.

For PvE, well, if you want to PUG at some point, just make your own group. This “don’t make X class because people kick those from PUGs!!!111” is… yeah, that’ll end up as a tiny feline on here. Point is, that’s no reason to not make a certain class if you think it’s fun. If people don’t want to join your group because you’re playing a necro, fine, but there will be plenty of people who won’t mind at all.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Hello!

Test.8734

I hate to agree with Test, but he has a point.

C’mon Vayne, you know you love me! <3 <3 <3

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

woah fast replies there i already like the community
How about mesmer? what woudl that be in the “mainstream” rpg games as a class?

Sorry about all these questions im just very excited

Hello!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

We don’t see eye to eye on pretty much anything, but yes, I quite like you. Don’t let anyone else know though. It’ll ruin my whole image.

Hello!

Red Queen.7915

Classes here can’t be really compared to classic RPGs because GW2 doesn’t have the classic trinity.

Mesmer is a class that’s really squishy, but has options to evade, hide or distract with clones to avoid damage. It can be played melee and from a distance, with conditions or basing its damage on exploding clones near a target. It’s harder to learn than point & shoot rangers or hop in & hit stuff warriors, but has a lot more diversity and a high fun factor, both in PvE and PvP.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Hello!

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Welcome to the game.

My biggest advice is to take your time and enjoy the leveling. It is amazing in this game if you stop and smell the roses, there are a ton of little details you won’t notice if you aren’t paying attention.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Welcome to the game.

My biggest advice is to take your time and enjoy the leveling. It is amazing in this game if you stop and smell the roses, there are a ton of little details you won’t notice if you aren’t paying attention.

Ill surely do that ^^

Hello!

Posted by: Stubie.5834

Stubie.5834

Don’t let the leetists get you down on necro. My advice is try all the classes. See which one grabs you and go with it. If it happens to be necro enjoy. The only thing they’re not great at is speed running dungeons.
Welcome to gw2!

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Classes here can’t be really compared to classic RPGs because GW2 doesn’t have the classic trinity.

Mesmer is a class that’s really squishy, but has options to evade, hide or distract with clones to avoid damage. It can be played melee and from a distance, with conditions or basing its damage on exploding clones near a target. It’s harder to learn than point & shoot rangers or hop in & hit stuff warriors, but has a lot more diversity and a high fun factor, both in PvE and PvP.

Oh okay thanks for the info Not really my type then Any ideas about CC heavy classes?

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Don’t let the leetists get you down on necro. My advice is try all the classes. See which one grabs you and go with it. If it happens to be necro enjoy. The only thing they’re not great at is speed running dungeons.
Welcome to gw2!

Thank you

Yes ill definitely try the necro since i enjoyed the whole summon the dead stuff in other games like D2/PoE summoner/WoW lock

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Also another question, Does it matter on what server i start (EU) ? i read something about mass servers.

Hello!

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

We don’t see eye to eye on pretty much anything, but yes, I quite like you. Don’t let anyone else know though. It’ll ruin my whole image.

Sorry, I had to do this.

Attachments:

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Hello!

Red Queen.7915

Your server choice only influences WvW. Megaserver means that you’ll always end up on a populated map in PvE, with people from other servers, so you’re never alone. If you don’t plan on playing a lot of WvW, you can go wherever. If you want to play a lot of WvW, you can check server ranks here: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/wvw

Edit: Accidentally linked the NA leaderboard. Sorry.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Your server choice only influences WvW. Megaserver means that you’ll always end up on a populated map in PvE, with people from other servers, so you’re never alone. If you don’t plan on playing a lot of WvW, you can go wherever. If you want to play a lot of WvW, you can check server ranks here: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/wvw

Makes sense, kinda like in Rift. i like that. So if i wanna focus on WvW i should pick a top server?

Another question (yes i still got them coming):

I just seen that an expansion is on the way.

Do u guys know anything if it limits pvp at all? like non-expansion vs expansion players in pvp?
Finishing university this year so i kinda have all my money locked-down on diff. stuff till the summer/fall (unless its like 20 bucks) and i mostly came cuz of the PvP part

(edited by NGoHT.1932)

Hello!

Red Queen.7915

There isn’t much info on that yet, but I don’t think you’ll notice in PvP who has the expansion and who doesn’t, aside from people sporting new skins (if there are any).

Besides, HoT might not be that expensive. Base game is at 40€ at the moment (when it’s not on sale), so HoT will most likely be under the 30€ mark (probably 29,99). Wouldn’t make sense to make it as expensive when it’s nto a standalone campaing like back in GW1.
(Keep in mind that this is not confirmed information, just common sense speculation on my part.)

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

There isn’t much info on that yet, but I don’t think you’ll notice in PvP who has the expansion and who doesn’t, aside from people sporting new skins (if there are any).

Besides, HoT might not be that expensive. Base game is at 40€ at the moment (when it’s not on sale), so HoT will most likely be under the 30€ mark (probably 29,99). Wouldn’t make sense to make it as expensive when it’s nto a standalone campaing like back in GW1.
(Keep in mind that this is not confirmed information, just common sense speculation on my part.)

Thanks i really appreciate all your help!
that made me actually happy, was a bit afraid when i seen i bought it just b4 an expac Ye that seems to be a fair price which i can even delay till i get my job if there’s no pvp difference or minor ones only.

About the server pick, should i go for Seafarer’s Rest then if i plan on doing WvW?

Hello!

Red Queen.7915

You can certainly try to get on SFR, but the server might be full at this point. You could try to join late at night or at some godawful hour in the morning (like 4am, maybe) to get a spot, though.
The tiers (last column on the leaderboard) give you a rough idea how active/successful (not necessarily the same thing) a server is in WvW. You don’t have to join SFR to get an active WvW server; anything up to Tier 4 (maybe T5) would be a safe bet.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Hello!

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

just play however you want, if someone says otherwise, nod your head , agree, then do whatever you wanted to do anyway

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

You can certainly try to get on SFR, but the server might be full at this point. You could try to join late at night or at some godawful hour in the morning (like 4am, maybe) to get a spot, though.
The tiers (last column on the leaderboard) give you a rough idea how active/successful (not necessarily the same thing) a server is in WvW. You don’t have to join SFR to get an active WvW server; anything up to Tier 4 (maybe T5) would be a safe bet.

Alright. Thank you once more.
Atm i dont see server being full only “very high” i guess ill try a T5 server (Gunnar’s hold) so i might avoid queues in the future.

Hello!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Don’t play as necromancer, other players hate them in PvE and kick them from groups saying they’re useless there.

The only time I see that kind of statement is on the forums. In-game, I rarely if ever see it (and I never get kicked).

So, OP, take the necro naysayers with a grain of salt.

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Thats what i did progressing slowly, the world is beautiful so far, and i must add that i never really cared about it in other games (they were dull and boring). that sylvari zone is amazing so far.

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

I also told my friend about it a few minutes ago he also purchased it. He would like to play a thief. Whats a good class to play duo with him? Im thinking of guardian and mesmer, keeping my necro for my solo plays

Hello!

Posted by: MachineManXX.9746

MachineManXX.9746

All classes can duo well together. The only advice there is to play off each others strengths and weaknesses. As you play, you will get a feel for what those are.

Hello!

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I rolled a necromancer as my very first character. While it’s true I did have a bit of a hard time in dungeons with my build, I still pressed on. She is the only light armor class I feel very comfortable playing as when compared to the mesmer or elementalist as I value survivability over power with them.

To say that the Necromancer is useless however is not always true. In certain cases, when the party dies, I am the last to live and on most occasions, am able to snuff out the final dungeon bosses’ life when it’s around 2 percent or so. Minion Masters are excellent for levelling but not that good in the higher levels, especially in the Silverwastes as the mordrem deal massive damage and can tank pretty hard. You might want to focus on either becoming good at using the necro’s wells or focus on using your necromancer’s death shroud as it provides an excellent source of damage and an extra life bar for you, especially if you have a staff in hand.

Elementalists deal great damage with their fire and air attunements but from personal experience, they are terrible at handling punishment themselves unless you got the gear to give yourself more survivability.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Hello!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Makes sense, kinda like in Rift. i like that. So if i wanna focus on WvW i should pick a top server?

Another question (yes i still got them coming):

I just seen that an expansion is on the way.

Do u guys know anything if it limits pvp at all? like non-expansion vs expansion players in pvp?
Finishing university this year so i kinda have all my money locked-down on diff. stuff till the summer/fall (unless its like 20 bucks) and i mostly came cuz of the PvP part

This game locks out new accounts from PvP and WvW for some time, unless you know a little trick.

To get to PvP and WvW before the account unlock, run to a city called Lions Arch (LA). How to get there depends on what race you make so I’ll leave that off. But get there then go to the southern middle area of the map. In that area are the WvW and PvP (Heart of the Mists) portals. Once your char has gone though these portals, even at level 2, they are unlocked for your account and you can go there whenever you like.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Hello!

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I suggest to take a stroll through this thread. Many people find it very helpful.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players/page/5#post4739724

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Hello!

Posted by: naughteblonde.7194

naughteblonde.7194

Hi and welcome to the game
One thing I would say is that when you start off you should have 5 character slots – enough to try one each of the different races and their storyline and enough to try 5 out of the 8 current classes (there is 1 more inbound with the expansion).
Unlike Rift, where it can take some grinding to get to max level and then a horrendous amount more to get good armor, that isn’t the case here.
It’s very possible to get to max level and kit yourself out with exotic armor and weapons within a week or so of questing/exploring or even faster with PvP/WvW.

So don’t feel like you have to dedicate yourself to one character. Pick anything that looks interesting and play around with it to see what you like!

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Thank you very much every1 Ill also check the tip thread

Hello!

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

for a starter to this type of combat I highly recommend a warrior.

1. they are very easy and new player friendly
2. they have very high base health and high self healing
3. they are highly wanted in pve

if you have experience in mmo’s in general and understand the game I would also highly recommend an elementalist

1. they are highly valued in all aspects of the game
2. very high damage output and group buffs

but they are squishy and die easy.

the other classes need you to understand the core of the game before they would be worth while to play (like engineer for example – is very complex to learn but once you understand its basics is very powerfull)

anyway just avoid necromancer for PVE content its just not worth the agro.

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

was thinking of elementalist too.
leveled a guardian to lvl 10 after my necro reached lvl 14ish (was a bit boring). trying out every class as suggested till lvl 10ish b4 i pick a “main” one

Hello!

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Hello!

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Hello!

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

welcome.

The elementalists are the most versatile class in the game when it comes to things you can do with your skills.

necromancers can also be quite versatile but only if they focus their gear,weapons, traits and utilities in 1 specific “role”

Then you have the 4 major aspects of the game that are extremely different from eachother.

You have your general PvE world that you will use to lvl up, “quest” and explore. Any class and any build you could possibly imagine works just fine here.
-To be “more” optimal while exploring try using things that give you more swiftness boon (a buff that increases your running speed by 33%)
-Aoe skills work great here, and specially if they hit hard

-Most of the mobs in this game are a push over, atacking you every now and then, unless they are champions.. then they hit like a truck. Learn to dodge.

The next aspect are dungeons.

The first dungeon you will find is going to be at lvl 30
Dungeons have 2 modes, story and explorable.

The first dungeon will have story mode at lvl 30, and explorable at lvl 35.

The majority of players only accept lvl 80 players with full Berserker gear (power precision ferocity). Dungeons work how they work…and the most optimal and fastest way of finishing them is going all full glass cannon (no matter what class)

Necromancers can also go full glass cannon, however while they do and because they are kinda solo class, they dont offer much for players around them. Also when they go full glass cannon they mostly tend to hit only 1 enemy.

The next aspect of the game is Structured PvP. You go to the pvp lobby, pick your pvp gear and skills and play arena style pvp matches for rewards and pvp ranks.
This aspect has 0 things to do with your pvE stats and gear.

The last aspect would be World vs World.
This consist of 4 maps,with 3 servers on them defending and claiming towers, keeps,supply camps and other structures.

There are really about 4 ways to play this mode :
-Being a commander: You go for full tanky mode ,tag up and lead a army of players to cap enemy structures
-Folowing a commander: You build for tough dps. You need to be able to deal dmg, use utility skills to help out your army around you and be strong enough to survive a fight against 50+more players.
-Roamer: Various builds, but the idea is that you are running around alone,fighting other roamers as well as capturing minor enemy camps
-Scout: Thieves are probably the best class for this cause of their stealth and mobility. They scout various places and notify their commander of enemy armies. They can also capture small enemy supply camps, as well as visit friendly keeps and towers to “refresh” siedge (since they dissapear after a while)

*Even tho WvW is considered pvp, it does count your pvE characters gear and stats. Tho you will be upscaled to lvl 80 automatically (but a lvl 80 with exotic gear will still have a advantage over your lvl 70 guy with exotic gear)

The most important thing to know is that each aspect of the game is different,and you will need to adapt your class to the aspect of the game you are playing (all classes can adapt one way or the other). If you dont..well..other “pro leet” players might not want you in their party (this mostly counts for dungeons and ranked pvp…like i said in general pve any build works)

Hello!

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Despite GW2 not having the traditional trinity, the classes can still be very much compared to traditional RPG classes, and I will do so here.

Since the OP seems to have (at least some) experience with WoW, I will compare each GW2 class to a WoW class that is most similar, that way the OP has a better grasp of what classes can do in general:

1. Warrior = Warrior:
Pretty straight forward and not that different from WoW’s warrior, except that GW2’s warrior can be build to be more supportive.

2. Guardian = Paladin:
Lots of boons, lots of heals and lots of support, but the mechanics of the Guardian are completely different from the Paladin though. You don’t have a big health pool so you’re going to have to rely on boons and active defenses (blocks and blinds mostly) to keep yourself and your party alive.

3. Engineer = Shaman:
What the totems do for a Shaman is more or less what the turrets do for an Engineer and like the Shaman there are a ton of build varieties for the Engineer to fill in different roles. The Engineer also takes elements from WoW’s Druid , except the Engineer doesn’t shapeshift between different forms but instead swaps between different toolkits.

4. Ranger = Hunter:
Both primarily ranged classes with pets and traps.

5. Thief = Rogue:
They’re pretty much the same except you have a ton of teleport skills at your disposal and the way stealth works in GW2 is pretty different. Don’t expect to sneak around in stealth for a long period of time as a Thief in GW2.

6. Elementalist = Mage:
If you play an Elementalist with a staff she will mostly feel like a traditional Mage, but things get pretty different if you swap to a dagger/dagger build. The switching between different elements is more similar to WoW’s Shaman though.

7. Necromancer = Warlock:
Necromancer is almost exactly the same as a Warlock in WoW. The one unique thing about the Necromancer in GW2 is his Death Shroud ability, which temporarily gives the Necromancer access to a 2nd health pool and a new set of spells.

8. Mesmer = ???:
Okay, granted, this class is so weird and unique that I really cannot compare the Mesmer to any WoW class. It uses melee weapons as ranged weapons, it can access stealth, the Mesmer can create magical clones of herself and use those clones in multiple ways to deal with the enemy. If you really want t play an unique class that isn’t anything like what you’ve seen in WoW, give the Mesmer a try.

Hello!

LucosTheDutch.4819

was thinking of elementalist too.
leveled a guardian to lvl 10 after my necro reached lvl 14ish (was a bit boring). trying out every class as suggested till lvl 10ish b4 i pick a “main” one

Keep in mind that the progression in this game is really stupid and weird since an update from a year ago. You won’t really get to experience much of your class at all before at least level 20. All your abilities, spells and skills are all locked and gated between levels and only after lvl 30 will you start unlocking Traits (which is similar to Talents in WoW).

If you really want to test out a class and see what a class truly has to offer, jump into the PvP lobby, check out all the fancy stuff that your class has there and then test out the class by joining a casual practice match. That right now is really the best way to quickly see what a class truly has to offer.

(edited by LucosTheDutch.4819)

Hello!

Posted by: Leming.8436

Leming.8436

Best tip i can give you. Join Piken square server, trust me.

Hello!

LucosTheDutch.4819

Best tip i can give you. Join Piken square server, trust me.

Or join Tarnished Coast if you’re going to play on an NA server.

Though I think the OP already chose a server.

Hello!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Hello! I just bought guild wars 2 and i just wanted to say Hi till its downloading

Hi, OP. Welcome to GW2.

Play whatever you like. There will be plenty of people to welcome you to their groups. (But do be as communicative with them as you have been with us, e.g. let them know you are new.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Hello!

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Welcome

On starting profession I would also suggest caution on choosing mesmer as they are very back heavy (much better at cap level, kind of tedious until certain traits are obtained). But all and all find something that you enjoy and have fun with it.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Hello!

Test.8734

Yay, I feel so loved! * _ *

I also told my friend about it a few minutes ago he also purchased it. He would like to play a thief. Whats a good class to play duo with him? Im thinking of guardian and mesmer, keeping my necro for my solo plays

Go guardian. Mesmer is a bit complex for a new player, and guardian is one of the easiest professions to level up with.

Hello!

LucosTheDutch.4819

Go guardian. Mesmer is a bit complex for a new player, and guardian is one of the easiest professions to level up with.

Not after the NPE. Guardian is pretty tricky right now until you unlocked all your class abilities (virtues).

If you want true easy-mode, go Warrior.

Hello!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Not after the NPE. Guardian is pretty tricky right now until you unlocked all your class abilities (virtues).

I just finished leveling a guardian. It’s still one of the easiest classes to level.

Hello!

LucosTheDutch.4819

I just finished leveling a guardian. It’s still one of the easiest classes to level.

Did you lvl from 1 to 80 though or from 20 to 80? Because that makes a huge difference. Like I said, until you unlocked your virtues, guardian is tricky, because of your low health pool and relatively weak attacks. But after you got all 3 of your virtues, leveling a guardian is as easy as ever.

Hello!

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

Eles are great. Warriors to see the world. Elementalists are fun class.

Hello!

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

Eles are great. Warriors to see the world. Elementalists are fun class.

Hello!

NGoHT.1932

Woah thx for all the info guys, was good reading with my morning coffee
Seems like today ill go for elementalist and engi for next attemps after all the infos and feedbacks u gave me
Also thank you for the game aspects long post, was very useful ^^

Hello!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Welcome, just be sure to make your character extra cute. Preferably Sylvari or Asura. You’ll get more cookies.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.