Helping Downed/Defeated Players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sorkatani.8523

Sorkatani.8523

When I am playing and I see the icon for a downed or defeated player on my map, I do my best to get to them in order to help revive them, however, so often I will be just about to reach them when they port.

I thought it might be nice if players could press ‘shift’ and click on the defeated player icon on the map in order to open a ‘whisper’ dialogue to let them know you are on your way to help them.

I think it would also help to reinforce the friendly, cooperative gaming environment that GW2 has.

(If there is already a function that does the same thing I have been unable to find it.)

Posted by: DoIKnowYou.3896

DoIKnowYou.3896

I like the idea, but maybe instead of a whisper, when you press shift, it will send a notification saying a player is on their way? Just a thought. Love the idea

Active Gw2 member who is ready to venture into the jungle! :)

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

This is a great idea, (IMO) and I would use it. But this would be horribly abused by trolls. It also might be trickier than we think to implement. So I’m doubtful that this will actually happen.

Posted by: Jay.1085

Jay.1085

I like the idea, but maybe instead of a whisper, when you press shift, it will send a notification saying a player is on their way? Just a thought. Love the idea

I like either idea, very nice, I sometimes had incidents like this, only for the poor guy/girl to port. But in silverwaste it has been getting toxic due to many dead afkers. so many people there tend to not res anymore.

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

You could tap auto run and open up say chat, or when you target them right click and send a whisper. However in some cases it is a better choice to WP instead of wasting the time to res a player. In which case the expectation is for them to use the nearest WP while everyone ignores the dead body.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Interesting idea but I think it would be a waste of resources to go implement this. Really if someone has to run to you then you might as well waypoint it would be just as fast most of the time or faster than waiting. Also if someone is already there rezing you it does give you a prompt when you enter the map that someone is doing so that you don’t WP out if it’s faster to wait for the Rez. I also think trolls would use this feature then never Rez the guy, which would waste his time, and most people would then just ignore the added feature because it could be a troll. Nice idea though.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

As an aside to this issue, can NPCs rez dead players?
Ive often seen NPCs rezzing other dead NPCs , but never a player.
Would be cool if they could especially if you die somewhere and there are NPCs around who will run to your aid.

Posted by: Jay.1085

Jay.1085

Would be cool if they could especially if you die somewhere and there are NPCs around who will run to your aid.

This has bothered me since release of the game. Oh I can res the npc but they are to above me to res me? Those npcs sure dont have gratitude. Its why i dont even res there ungrateful faces.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

In wvw they do -you have to be at the right spot in the right angle though (so lets say in 75% of all cases you’re dead around living npcs you will be rezzed by them)
Which can be rather annoying if you try to solo cap a camp and got the enemy player downed or killed.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

What bothers me the most is that at launch we had only to rez 1000 other players to get “the title”. beyond me why the cap was set on 1000 and not like 100000 or something. 100 ressurections is done very fast! they should change that titles rewards and add some tiers. 1000-5000-10000 etc etc

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

What bothers me the most is that at launch we had only to rez 1000 other players to get “the title”. beyond me why the cap was set on 1000 and not like 100000 or something. 100 ressurections is done very fast! they should change that titles rewards and add some tiers. 1000-5000-10000 etc etc

Want to have achievements with crazy requirements? WvW ones are saying hello o/

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

mcwurth.2081

Want to have achievements with crazy requirements? WvW ones are saying hello o/

that is not what i said, did i now?
and no i do not go to wvw or any pvp form as i just do not like to pvp in games like this. (this does not equal i am bad at it btw, i just do not enjoy it).

make it repeatable then, like entrophy achievement. doesn’t matter, the point is people stop rezzing others as soon they made the title. today layed in a chatty map for 15 minutes, at least 20 people ran by and didnt even bother to resurect me. this was not the case looooooong ago, when the game was still fresh and many more people that actually cared about their fellow adventurers in tyria. now, just ego ego ego game, but, i do not fully blame the community it is oversight from anet and a lack of new content.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

You like trolls? Because this is how you get trolls.

Posted by: Lightingale.6502

Lightingale.6502

make it repeatable then, like entrophy achievement. doesn’t matter, the point is people stop rezzing others as soon they made the title. today layed in a chatty map for 15 minutes, at least 20 people ran by and didnt even bother to resurect me. this was not the case looooooong ago, when the game was still fresh and many more people that actually cared about their fellow adventurers in tyria. now, just ego ego ego game, but, i do not fully blame the community it is oversight from anet and a lack of new content.

I think the reason people don’t rez other players anymore is because of those people in SW who keep telling everybody not to rez players and to WP out if you die. I mean, if you’re not going to rez me when I die, then why on earth should I rez you when you die? And besides, if the custom is to WP out immediately when you die, then there’s no point in trying to revive someone, because they’ll be gone before you can finish reviving.

mcwurth.2081

I think the reason people don’t rez other players anymore is because of those people in SW who keep telling everybody not to rez players and to WP out if you die. I mean, if you’re not going to rez me when I die, then why on earth should I rez you when you die? And besides, if the custom is to WP out immediately when you die, then there’s no point in trying to revive someone, because they’ll be gone before you can finish reviving.

it is sad really yes. I always try and go as fast to downed/dead players to resurect them. I will keep trying to do so. very often all i get is “ty” or nothing at all, but when i get a person saying “thank you” i bow and tell them to have safe travels through tyria and then just run off.

I don’t know, but for me it gives a nice feeling knowing i helped out someone. Some even became friends with me after i rezzed them and helped them to reach their goal.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

while figthing if players try to rez they will get damaged and some might end dieng, the group looses the offensive support and gets the chance to be steam rolled.
if player successfully rez the other player/s and every one continues to get AOE damage that groups migh end in trouble due every one being at low health.

Rez skill Q:
Btw any one has problems in rezing with guardian rez signet i tried a few times in the same cell where players is killed or downed, only worked like 3 times(and in 1 time skill went successfull, it instantly recovered from cooldown ), most of times skill get casted and enters in cool down w/o rezing the player.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Rez skill Q:
Btw any one has problems in rezing with guardian rez signet i tried a few times in the same cell where players is killed or downed, only worked like 3 times(and in 1 time skill went successfull, it instantly recovered from cooldown ), most of times skill get casted and enters in cool down w/o rezing the player.

Those skills only work on downed players or dead NPCs. So, if you’re trying to use it on dead players, it won’t work. You also have to be fairly close to your target. And if the cast gets interrupted by you being in combat, then yeah, it’ll go on cooldown. Plus, most of the revival skills are pretty crappy.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I’ve seen this idea before and the responses were very similar on that thread too.

I agree that it would be abused by trolls. I think the possible risks outweigh the benefits. The only real benefit is that occasionally you might prevent somebody wasting their time/silver on a waypoint.

Moreover, we already have a system in place for this. If you’re dead and go to the world map, it will say “A noble soul is healing you!”.

Almost always, if I’m down/dead and there are people nearby (and if it’s safe to res) I will get ressed and won’t waypoint (unless I am finished in that area anyway).

It would be great to see NPCs res, but I think this could be a problem overall regarding WvW. Some may also argue that if NPCs res, dying won’t be “punishing” enough.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Actually, I have been resurrected by an NPC, but it was a commander at Red Rock in Silverwastes, even while on top of the wall. I can’t remember if I’ve witnessed that anywhere else.

As for resurrecting others, I do it when I can, and I kind of feel bad when I can’t. It’s in my nature to be helpful to others. I’m also not offended if they don’t say anything, there may be a variety of reasons why they are silent.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Sorkatani.8523

Sorkatani.8523

I thought the fact that you would be whispering to them, and therefore they would see your character name, might make it less likely for trolls to abuse the function.

It’s not a vital addition but I do think it would be nice to have.

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

I like the idea, but… maybe instead of a whisper, when you press shift, it will send a notification saying a player is on their way? Just a thought. Love the idea

I like this idea, and it would be great, but, they should then allow the downed player to see the persons location on the map (when that player has tagged/marked you to rescue).

Otherwise, they could tag you but you wouldn’t know how far away they are (crucial in boss fights if you are close to a WP). Also, some @hole could just troll you if they were bored leaving you there.. dead for minutes, and you wouldn’t know how far away they are…or if they were really even coming. . xD

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Well they did add a timer while you are dead (at least in WVW LOL been a while since I’ve PVE’ed) and I do find that sometimes when players die they afk to grab a snack or bathroom break so maybe the timer just expired. Also if they open the map to pick a waypoint well they just don’t see you coming..

I also find some people waypoint right away when dead maybe cause they are somewhat embarrassed that they died to a pack of wolves or boars LOL

In WvW fights I usually waypoint right away for a few reasons:

If in a large fight and you tagged many players, the loot bags come to you if the players die. If you stay dead and wait for a rez chances are you may not get it and all them loot bags will be scattered around you.

Its also faster to just waypoint and run back. It really is. Unless of course you are across the map but if you want those loot bags it is best to waypoint as soon as you die.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Let them port. the “Noble soul” notification is enough. The more room you give people to say they’re coming to help from further away, the more youll give people looking to abuse that for a cheap laugh

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.