Hero points on the map

Hero points on the map

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oyuri.1452

Oyuri.1452

After the change I’ve started lvling my mesmer and I’ve got to say that the colour you guys chose for hero points is reaaaaaaally bad. So far it mostly blend with the background so if it wasn’t for a fact that I know locations of many of those I could have missed them. Please, for the sake of clarity, change the colour of an unearned hero point on the map.

(edited by Moderator)

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Uki.4725

Uki.4725

Just a suggestion, but how hard would it be for ANet to implement a new icon color for the “Hero Challenges”? The old “skill point” challenge icon showed up really well against the backdrop of the mini-map, but the new Hero Challenge icon tends to blend in. Can we get it made brighter, more saturated, a different hue, anything to make it easier to see on the mini-map?

I know it may not matter to some, but I’m half blind and wear glasses so thick you could stick them in an observatory telescope and view planets three galaxies away.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I agree. There should be colour options for a lot of things imo.

I just finished A Light In The Darkness. Previously I would have had no problem with seeing enemy names vs friendly names, but with this new rig I built it’s performance is much better, so the environment effects that you get in HotM, Death Shroud, Orr etc I actually get to see now. With this mission it was so bad that I kept running into enemies with the intent of avoiding as many as possible.

There really needs to be better options for those with colourblindness.

Note: I’m not colourblind, nor is my eyesight that bad. In some areas the environment effect is just that bad.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

(edited by Miss Lana.5276)

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

I noticed this too, and my eyesight isn’t all that bad.

It’s particularly bad if it’s at a sandy coloured part of the map, e.g. SW Bloodtide Coast with the hylek counting his imaginary loot.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Wouldn’t mind seeing it to back to the old skill-challenge blue and make the little person icon (which initially looked like a middle finger to me for some reason) in the middle white so it stands out properly.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Agree. The blue icon was superior easy to spot. The white colour easely go lost in the minimap colours, often taking time to see it.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree. It’s not too bad in the game world but on the map they can be very hard to see. Especially if you’re used to blue skill point icons.

I agree. There should be colour options for a lot of things imo.

I just finished A Light In The Darkness. Previously I would have had no problem with seeing enemy names vs friendly names, but with this new rig I built it’s performance is much better, so the environment effects that you get in HotM, Death Shroud, Orr etc I actually get to see now. With this mission it was so bad that I kept running into enemies with the intent of avoiding as many as possible.

There really needs to be better options for those with colourblindness.

Note: I’m not colourblind, nor is my eyesight that bad. In some areas the environment effect is just that bad.

That quest is particularly bad, because it’s set in Orr where almost everything is brown and grey anyway and it has a kind of sepia/greyed out effect to show it’s not real, which drains a lot of the remaining colours.

I’ve been told I have very good eye sight and my computer is great (if anything I overdid the colour contrast) and even I struggle with that one.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Hero points on the map

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Well while we are at it, change the colour of PoI’s too as they are realy hard to see. And merchants also btw.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Yes I’m not sure the benefit of changing the icon. It was much clearer before.

Bit of a head scratcher that decision, I’d have thought someone would have thought ahead and realised it wasn’t an easy to see icon.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

I like the design of the new icon, but yeah the color makes it get lost on the map.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

The new colour is baaaaaaaad. I don’t see why they had to even change the symbol and colour. Could have left it how it was. Also I cleared Fields of Ruin yesterday on an alt and the NE Hero Challenge didn’t even show up on the map after completion. It shows on the minimap but not the full map. I had problems finding the last 2 as well, they did not show up at all. I alt tabbed to use a site to see where they were (which is sad considering I have done world complete 9 times before, I should remember where they are!), by the time I came back to the game and looked again they were finally showing. But the NE corner one still did not.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Hero points on the map

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

There’s an extremely easy solution to this problem:

Use the old skill point color and the new hero point icon. Boom! Visible.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Fully agreed. A green icon, or even the same old blue would be highly welcomed. This new icon bends a lot with terrain map.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Old icon was better in all aspects. I think they should just keep the old one and give it the new name.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Well while we are at it, change the colour of PoI’s too as they are realy hard to see. And merchants also btw.

I was actually thinking this same thing last night after I saw another thread on this. The neutral tones of the Hero Point icon, the outline for POIs, and the merchant icon, do blend a lot with the other map colors. It would really help if they stood out a little more. Regardless of the icon used or the name, it’s the colors that make them blend in.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Yes please! This was hilarious when I noticed that hero challenges are the same color as the ground in many locations. Make it blue again, or orange-red, or any vibrant color that stands out.

Hero points on the map

Rauderi.8706

Point taken on the ‘other map items blend in too’ statement.

The map icons should have a backing color that’s easier to see, and that color could denote whether we have the point in question or not. Example: blue background for unfinished POI/Vista/Hero and green background for completed ones.

Thoughts?

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Hero points on the map

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

To some degree hunting for things on the map adds a little bit to the experience, “where is that last stupid POI?”

On the other hand I do agree the skill challenges are just not the right color, the old blue was good, IMO.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Hero points on the map

Rauderi.8706

To some degree hunting for things on the map adds a little bit to the experience, “where is that last stupid POI?”

On the other hand I do agree the skill challenges are just not the right color, the old blue was good, IMO.

I’m not as fond of the Where’s Waldo experience. =P
They do glow if there’s nothing special on your story tracker, so maybe it’s not so bad. And it’s motivation to do Personal Story!

Many alts; handle it!

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

Fully agreed. A green icon, or even the same old blue would be highly welcomed. This new icon bends a lot with terrain map.

Green – no. Any shade of green could easily be missed.

I vote for that old blue they used with the new symbol.

Please fire whoever thought of using brown. Absolute genius move -.-

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Hero points on the map

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

I was about to make a post with this very issue. (Thank you search feature for working) The blue icon was far easier to see. Please think about reverting to the old icon.

Anx

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Absolutely agree, the hero point icons should be blue- the same blue as previous skill points.

They’re so easily camouflaged it’s unreal. I was doing map completion today and I was struggling to find some of them, even though I am very familiar with map/world completion and remember where most of them are. I can imagine it would be very time consuming for a new player or somebody who didn’t know where they were.

On another note, these icons no longer show above the undiscovered map texture like they used to.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

+1 for the “get the old blue back” option.

Shiverpeaks were fine. Then I went to Metrica Province. And that’s just awful.
I mean, yeah, heroic gold and stuff, but it can be heroic all it wants if I can’t find it…

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Yeah .. the old color was better visible and also fitted better to the whole design
of the waypoint, vista, poi icons.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Wouldn’t mind seeing it to back to the old skill challenge blue as it stands out better agasint the back ground of the maps as the current color is too camouflaged.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I agree, too. The color change was a HMI miss.

Also not particularly pleased with the more complicated shape making it more difficult to detect against busy backgrounds.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

Yes please, its the same color as the terrain in most places.

I feel like the ui designer who did this was getting fired that day so he did it on purpose…

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Ronah Lynda.2496

Ronah Lynda.2496

The visibility for the new hero challenge icons is very low on the maps compared to the old skills challenge icons.
The gold color blends to much with the environment compared to the old blue color

Please, change it.

Thank you

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

The visibility for the new hero challenge icons is very low on the maps compared to the old skills challenge icons.
The gold color blends to much with the environment compared to the old blue color

Please, change it.

Thank you

I agree with this, it’s easy to miss, especially if on top of mountains on the mini map. A simply color change should be enough

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Hero points on the map

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I agree, whereas I don’t mind the new shape, the colour didn’t need to change. Keep the icon, but paint it blue please ArenaNet!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Hero points on the map

Posted by: agrante.2810

agrante.2810

I actually just logged in to the forums to post the same suggestion

Hero points on the map

Posted by: LiaeTwiler.1297

LiaeTwiler.1297

Keep the icon, but paint it blue please ArenaNet!

Hero points on the map

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Yeah the old skill challenge icon were MUCH easier to spot

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Ceesa.1350

Ceesa.1350

I just logged on here to post the same thing. It’s nearly impossible to spot the icon on the minimap anywhere in ascalon, and the difference between the icon for completed and uncompleted points are miniscule.

I also want to bring up the new wallet. While the list format is a fine idea, it’s too transparent on the right-hand side, and I constantly have to move it around to read all of the numbers. It’s also too wide on my screen, and I can’t seem to change it. It makes it more difficult to read than when you could simply mouse over the money readout in the inventory window and have a quick popup telling you how much of each currency you had.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

The blue chevrons were eye catching on the map. This new symbol is too dull and doesn’t have a distinct enough shape. It’s like throwing a ball of dirt in a mud puddle.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

I completely agree, on some maps they are very hard to see. I have no idea why the change, the old way was just fine. I have all the hero points I need so I’m not looking for them, but still I have a general idea where they are at if I do. I can only imagine what a new player will find, prepare yourself Anet for a lot "….it’s too hard…., …. I can’t find those….., …..I gave up…… stuff from new players.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There’s a thread a few down from your one on the subject https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hero-challenge-icon-vs-Skill-challenge-icon

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Looking at it I agree a colour change is needed.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Was posted in another thread also that got buried already, so yes I (and many others) agree.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Bright orange plus more things because 15 characters.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The old blue skill point icon was much more visible.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I like the new icon, but I agree, the blue was much easier to see on the map. Perhaps change the color of the new icon to mach the blue of the old one.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I agree. I also have to concentrate to find them.

It would also be nice if the incomplete vs complete icon change were more pronounced as well.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Hero points on the map

Posted by: JNetRocks.3652

JNetRocks.3652

I know there’s the content guide to help you out but it’s not always the most efficient path. I’ve map completed many times and even knowing where most of them are, I like to be able to see it. The new hero point icon does not read well on the mini map though – especially on browns/greens (a large part of the world). Even on whites/grays it doesn’t stick out much.

Any chance we can get a bolder color or more readable icon design? Notice the heart/vista sticks out fine. The PoI and Hero Point not so much.

Attachments:

Hero points on the map

Posted by: orcane.1547

orcane.1547

I agree, too. The color change was a HMI miss.

Also not particularly pleased with the more complicated shape making it more difficult to detect against busy backgrounds.

I’m in agreement as well. The color was one of the first things I noticed and since then it keeps popping up as an issue. I can live with the new icon even though I agree it was an unnecessary change and is actually part of why the new icon is harder to see, but the color definitely has to change (and if it’s still badly visible after, consider an icon change).

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

I don’t get on why they changed the colour, keep it blue but also keep that new shape for it aswell.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

Agree.
Old blue.
Make it so.
New colour is a poor choice.
While you’re at it, make the mouse cursor the same blue. If I added up all the seconds I’ve wasted trying desperately to see where the kitten cursor was … sheesh.
~TG

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Agreeing with the rest; bring back the blue please. In many cases, the brown is very difficult to see.

Hero points on the map

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I like the new icon and I agree it should be updated. Incomplete challenges should be much easier to spot on the map than completed one, and completed ones need to be easy enough to spot, in case you want to compare your map with the wiki to figure out which you are missing.

Alternatively, maybe ANet could make challenges and vistas linkable, just like WP and POI are (even those that are incomplete).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Hero points on the map

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

they should of just left the icon and color alone but im pretty sure they were too busy with the icon and color instead of actually balancing classes.

make it highlight blue or purple not that ugly dead brown looking color.

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home