Hey There! New to Guild Wars; 1 Complaint

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WifeAggro.7389

WifeAggro.7389

Honestly… where is everybody? There seems to be no need for interaction with anyone pre-10. The chats seem completely dead. While I enjoy the gameplay, I feel very… bored. I am going to power through it and whatnot, but am I missing something in the social department? Did I miss a tutorial on it? I’m not on an empty server; what’s going on?

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

queensdale, LA, divinities reach are usually chatty spots. get in a good guild too. a lot of us chat in g chat or in mumble. most servers have a server sponsored mumble account.

A lot of people also do the temple events and dungeons. keep any eye on the lfg tool. also, during non primetimes will be less chat, obviously.

right now my guild is all in mumble hootin and hollarin while we watch some GvG matches in the obsidian sanctum.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Krassix.4017

Krassix.4017

Most importantly, find a guild with players you get a long with. Most players chat in guilds more than on map chat. Once you find a good guild the social aspect will come alive.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Yeah it really just depends what maps your on. A lot of the low level maps and slightly more obscure maps have very few people on them because after hitting level 80 there is no reason for anyone to go back to them.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Yeah it really just depends what maps your on. A lot of the low level maps and slightly more obscure maps have very few people on them because after hitting level 80 there is no reason for anyone to go back to them.

There’s not much of a reason to go to a lot of maps, unfortunately.

Hopefully we can get underflow servers sometime soon.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Honestly… where is everybody? There seems to be no need for interaction with anyone pre-10. The chats seem completely dead. While I enjoy the gameplay, I feel very… bored. I am going to power through it and whatnot, but am I missing something in the social department? Did I miss a tutorial on it? I’m not on an empty server; what’s going on?

Like others have said, unless we get underflow maps, have fun on your single player MMO.

If you get into a good guild it helps. People to chat with and chat to read while you get 100% on the maps with nobody.

I’m in the Raven alliance and they helped me through some boring times. Ask in LA (Lions Arch) for guild invites.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

It might also be your server. For instance, I have never been to a map on my server where there is not a single person there. There’s always someone.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It might also be your server. For instance, I have never been to a map on my server where there is not a single person there. There’s always someone.

This is true for my server too but not everyone chats in map chat. I mean if I’m already chatting in guild chat, and it’s busy, I don’t always have time to answer map chat.

Posted by: sazaw.1347

sazaw.1347

OP, actually we are all there, hiding in the shadows, watching over you to protect you from any harm.

Wrath T – Asura Necro | Don Hohenheim – Norn Guard | Bellcroxx – Human Mesmer
[DKJ] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

In other games they charge you money, real money for chatting in zone map while in GW2 is free and still there is no chat going on.
Well, people should be talking about everything but hey, they have TS3, Skype and the old fashion of typing words is gone. This is the problem.
And another problem is they cant speak freely because some frustrated individuals might report them for speaking their mind

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It has to do with the difficulty of typing while playing, especially if one is leveling a new character that needs to try. So you will find most chatter in Lion’s Arch.

Would be nice if we had a quick emote button somewhere. Or a predefined msg accessible with other keys.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

In other games they charge you money, real money for chatting in zone map while in GW2 is free

You mean I got scammed by buying the box?

Posted by: siralius.9517

siralius.9517

Don’t listen to these other posters. Most maps/zones in this game are dead, so map chat will essentially be dead. There are several reasons for this. Here are the two main reasons, shortened for your convenience.
1: There is NOTHING to be gained from frequenting zones unless you are going for map completion for legendary. In this case, players will be doing a zone once over and that’s it.
2: There are too many other ways to cheese it to 80 (which most players will do anything to get there as soon as possible. Why? Because there is no pleasure in lvling. As a poster proudly stated on another thread; lvling is “filler”) ex: crafting, switching to your low lvl toon at end of dungeon run, riding a lowbie through a wvw karma train.

I’m just going with the flow.
Let’s make it “Casual Friday” errday.

Ronah.2869

In other games they charge you money, real money for chatting in zone map while in GW2 is free

You mean I got scammed by buying the box?

In other MMOs only party and guild chat are free. You can’t talk in world map or local unless you use some cash shop consumable item. it is their way of fighting the spamming bots.
If you download AION for example, you cant talk to anyone until you are higher level or if you pay some premium fee
So, compared to these games, GW2 is free chatting from lvl 1 in all chat channels

WifeAggro.7389

In other games they charge you money, real money for chatting in zone map while in GW2 is free and still there is no chat going on.

I paid 40$ for this. It isn’t free. I’m not aware of any f2p games that I’ve played where I’d pay to see/talk in chat…

Well, people should be talking about everything but hey, they have TS3, Skype and the old fashion of typing words is gone. This is the problem.

I’m aware of VoIP programs and their commonality in MMOs. I’m just saying I feel like I’m playing a single player MMORPG and that’s really boring to me.

To the others, I guess I’ll keep looking for a guild and whatnot; not a LOT advertised to brand new players, but perhaps I’ll delete current toon and get on a server where one is active. I’d rather do that than leave the game entirely. Thanks for the input!

Just my two cents: add chatrooms to the game. “Newbie help” room for anyone under a certain level + those who want to join. That would REALLY feel like a huge improvement to this game.

Vayne.8563

Don’t listen to these other posters. Most maps/zones in this game are dead, so map chat will essentially be dead. There are several reasons for this. Here are the two main reasons, shortened for your convenience.
1: There is NOTHING to be gained from frequenting zones unless you are going for map completion for legendary. In this case, players will be doing a zone once over and that’s it.
2: There are too many other ways to cheese it to 80 (which most players will do anything to get there as soon as possible. Why? Because there is no pleasure in lvling. As a poster proudly stated on another thread; lvling is “filler”) ex: crafting, switching to your low lvl toon at end of dungeon run, riding a lowbie through a wvw karma train.

You’re clearly not on Tarnished Coast. If you were, you wouldn’t make such statements.

There’s a danger in believing that every server is identical. It’s just not true.

You shouldn’t tell people not to listen to other posters anyway. It implies that you have some great truth or knowledge that no one else has.

OP, I’d suggest you guest over to Tarnished Coast and see for yourself, before taking anyone’s word.

Ronah.2869

I paid 40$ for this. It isn’t free. I’m not aware of any f2p games that I’ve played where I’d pay to see/talk in chat…

AION, Age of Conan, Jade Dynasty and others
http://jdf2p.wikia.com/wiki/Telepathy_Gem
http://en.aion.gameforge.com/website/features/

(edited by Ronah.2869)

WifeAggro.7389

I meant guild chat, et c. There are items you can get [for free] to chat in the general chat/zone chat.
Doesn’t matter; I’m not here to bash on the game. So far I’ve enjoyed it. Please don’t hijack the thread with fanboyism.

Ronah.2869

I meant guild chat, et c. There are items you can get [for free] to chat in the general chat/zone chat.
Doesn’t matter; I’m not here to bash on the game. So far I’ve enjoyed it. Please don’t hijack the thread with fanboyism.

Excuse me? Read my post above and see I mentioned the guild and party chats in those games are free.
And yes, the game chat is dead. I agreed with you but I didn’t used these exact words but I mentioned the problems.. You only saw the money charging from other games and call me a fanboy.

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Posted by: Hobbitz.5831

Hobbitz.5831

If you’re an NA player, try guesting to TC.
If you’re an off hours player, try guesting to BG.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

More playing hours available on a weekend can mean the population is spread out more than just mid-afternoon and then evening in your time zone (assuming US or EU, Oceania good luck).

Friday and the weekends tend to have max turnout in WvW which reduces the numbers in PvE.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

Most maps other than Queensdale (the human starting town), Lion’s Arch(the central town) and Frostgorge Sound are dead most of the time, unless there are world bosses up. Even on these maps people don’t talk much on map chat apart from pinging what bosses are up and this leads to a very boring, unsocial environment, especially for new players.

This has been one of my complaints about this game too for a while. There was a patch back in August (Queen’s Jubilee) which changed the drops of champion type monsters, which turned the game into the farm fest that it is today.

The other day I met a new player at Wayfarer Foothills who was asking basic questions about the game and his character and there was nobody else on the map to answer his questions or help him out with hearts or events. I went out of my way and took him to Lion’s Arch and then to Divinity’s Reach and then Queensdale before taking him to the 4 zerg waypoints in Queensdale and then teaching him how to zerg.

(edited by Sundar.1735)

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

The other day I met a new player at Wayfarer Foothills who was asking basic questions about the game and his character and there was nobody else on the map to answer his questions or help him out with hearts or events. I went out of my way and took him to Lion’s Arch and then to Divinity’s Reach and then Queensdale before taking him to the 4 zerg waypoints in Queensdale and then teaching him how to zerg. If I hadn’t done that

What happened to the end of the story?

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

My server has always been pretty chatty.
Sometimes it is so chatty that it is hard to get information from map because it scrolls so fast lol ( no not LA- never go there myself)

It is very true that servers have their own identities and not all are alike.

take a guesting to tour to find one you like and good luck OP

HEhe Sundar- the other day I rescued someone form the Queensdale zerg and took them via LA to Wayfarer Foothills

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

The other day I met a new player at Wayfarer Foothills who was asking basic questions about the game and his character and there was nobody else on the map to answer his questions or help him out with hearts or events. I went out of my way and took him to Lion’s Arch and then to Divinity’s Reach and then Queensdale before taking him to the 4 zerg waypoints in Queensdale and then teaching him how to zerg. If I hadn’t done that

Haven’t heard from him again so I’ll assume he either found a guild or someone else in Queensdale to help him out. Had I not helped him out I think there was a good chance of him losing interest in the game and quitting.

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

Haven’t heard from him again so I’ll assume he either found a guild or someone else in Queensdale to help him out. Had I not helped him out I think there was a good chance of him losing interest in the game and quitting.

I tend to be the person who calls out directions in the Queensdale Train and so i get a lot of whispers from newbies who want to understand what is going on but feel too shy or awkward to ask questions in mapchat.
I can understand that if your first experience of GW2 is Queensdale, it might seem intimidating or overwhelming, so i try and guide them as best i can.
Often I party with them and take them around Queensdale to open wps and explain the Train circuit.
Once i felt very generous and kitted out a newbie in 15 slot bags.
I like to think it’s a great way to be welcomed into the game and would help them to stay.
I never hear from any of them again though…

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Another reason I beleave is becouse GW2 maps is devided into small zones.

Let’s say… When I play Lotro and I am in Rohan I can write on map chat with everyone over all zones connected with rohan even if it is over 8 zones in Rohan.

In Guild Wars 2 we have a few zones per region like, Kryta, Aschalon, shiverpeaks and Maguuma. But even if there are many players in Kryta only the players in Gendarran fields can talk to eachother and only those in Queensdale can talk to eachother.
So a more open region chat would pump up the chat I beleave.

And then we have also in Lotro, the region chats are silent in Lotro anyway… Why is this? Well that is becouse they have player created chats. Players has created a chat a chat where everyone on the same server can see the chat wherever you are.
So a global chat would pump up the chat I beleave.

One thing for sure is that GW2 worlds are not empty. I play on a pretty Med-pop server and I always come across other players. Not an army with players but a few. New players, old players with an alt, someone helping out or even people doing the explorer thing.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Ren.5842

Ren.5842

I’d be thrilled at a global chat channel – player created or otherwise.

Leader of Varshen, a BDO Guild
www.varshen.com

Posted by: Adhal.3187

Adhal.3187

Well first your playing a mmo that is almost 2 years old and in the lower level zones, so yeah not a lot of people will be hanging out and chatting. This happens in ALL MMO’s. Factor in that it only takes about 60-80 hours to level regularly to 80, most people are not going to be spending a lot of time in the lower zones unless they are there to do something specific.

That said if you want a low level zone with a lot of people go to queensdale, the human starting area. There are always tons of people there riding the champ train.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There has never been much map chatter in this game except at launch which you would expect. In terms of population on lower maps, that entirely depends on server and no connection to the overall population it seems. Some highest pop severs report ghost town maps, some low population servers report always seeing people on maps.

There’s not a lot of reason to team up outside of dungeons/fractals/current living story content as well. There was a suggestion about ramming more events, esp group ones and with decent rewards into all maps – hopefully this will be something that can be added down the line.

Vayne.8563

There has never been much map chatter in this game except at launch which you would expect. In terms of population on lower maps, that entirely depends on server and no connection to the overall population it seems. Some highest pop severs report ghost town maps, some low population servers report always seeing people on maps.

There’s not a lot of reason to team up outside of dungeons/fractals/current living story content as well. There was a suggestion about ramming more events, esp group ones and with decent rewards into all maps – hopefully this will be something that can be added down the line.

I disagree with this. There is a lot of reason to team up. Things go a lot faster. We do zone completion/leveling alts with the guild all the time, and a bunch of people working on stuff yields faster leveling and more reward.

Logically if you can kill something in a three seconds by yourself or one second in a group, you’re going to get more drops.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Until they change the way progression occurs this will continue to be a problem actually. There are only certain places that are the new “grind” per say for the ascended gear so that’s where you’ll find most of the people. the latest CDI results promises new activities so the game will most likely dramatically change when this patch occurs.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I disagree with this. There is a lot of reason to team up. Things go a lot faster. We do zone completion/leveling alts with the guild all the time, and a bunch of people working on stuff yields faster leveling and more reward.

Logically if you can kill something in a three seconds by yourself or one second in a group, you’re going to get more drops.

Let me re-phrase…it doesn’t encourage enough group play in open world. You can pretty much play through the entire game, get 100% (pve) map without ever having to team. That isn’t to say group play isn’t fun, but I’ve read through these boards inside and out – players like yourself and myself play to explore, enjoy the events, enjoy the world etc. Finding whole groups who want to do this is pretty hard and when they exist they are a minority.

Also, you’d be surprised how many people aren’t aware that loot is better in a team. As Chris W. said in the CDI, the game doesn’t educate its players enough about some of its core features. Maybe this feature isn’t strong enough for most to notice.

A greater level of group events (like the metas but more and bigger) with enticing rewards would help balance out this issue. Guild Bounties are a good example of using zones, but they aren’t as widely done as they could be due to some flaws in the design. Southson was a start in terms of it being much easier to get around in a group. But, the zone had nothing to offer outside of its gorgeous artwork for most players.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Focus on:

1. getting onto an active server. WvW rankings will give you a clue.
2. getting into an active guild with people of like mind.

This should solve the presenting problem.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

I’m not on an empty server; what’s going on?

You’re late to the party, is all. The game’s full of active players, but they’re concentrated into hubs, WvW/PvP and endgame/dungeon content. And maybe 2/3 champion trains.

The trickle of alts and new players isn’t enough to sustain the many zones a leveller could potentially find herself in. ANet have tried to address this in numerous ways, but thus far it’s not enough.

When the game was new, the starting zones were so full of people that killing anything without someone else hitting it was almost impossible. I’m working a Mesmer alt up mainly via levelling right now, and I go 30-60 mins without seeing another soul.

Posted by: Tremain.4623

Tremain.4623

It’s been over a year since launch, most low level areas in most servers are going to be mostly empty. Try a server with very high population, but even then the only low level zone with a healthy population will be the human one.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This post goes to show that everyone is not the same. I’d say that leveling is the only fun part of the game, and wish it took longer.