Hey guys, can I have a word?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aerwyna.2541

Aerwyna.2541

Now I will probably get flamed for this unfortunately, but I figured I would try anyways. I also want to say I recognize your right to an opinion and the nature of this post is not to discourage you from giving Anet constructive feedback. I am posting this to address the toxicity I have seen in the map chats as of late. Especially today. As we know, the event did not come out as intended and they are working on it, but free players can see map chat and I saw in say chat a few players relating our community “as toxic as other games/people arent very nice here”. I was wondering if maybe we could stop being so hateful in map chat because that leaves a terrible impression on these players and we all know our community is not like that AT ALL.

Yes some of us are frustrated with bugs and things, but there is no reason to call people names etc etc because of differing opinion. Also, Ive seen discouraging conversations to new players who have bought the game recently when asking a question. I dont think sarcasm or down right rudeness is the right way to go about this.

And no, its not because of the free 2 play model, they cannot use map chat so it cant be because of the influx of new players. These are out existing players, and they will be making up our community, so please if you could, keep our community helpful. A good debate or conversation is great, but I dont think at the expense of someone else is worth it.

I personally have diverted a toxic map chat to a light hearted conversation about nose picking.

Anyways I am sorry if this makes anyone upset. I just thought maybe we should address this as a community and solve the problem as one. <3 Remember, I love you guys no matter what! <3333

Ren

Renoria Blackheart loves her kitty Kronos. <3
Proud member of the Blackgate community.

Posted by: Mintyfresh.2539

Mintyfresh.2539

I admire your positivity.

Internet will be internet and masses will run around with pitchforks due to their inability to do so in real life(trust me they would if they could).

I think most new or old players who have dabbled in mmorpgs already know the caliber of garbage to expect from the general masses who don’t get everything they want when they want it.

That being said, what we should be more worried about is the bad design of this event turning players away, not the players. Players will be the same and with the change in demographics of online games, you’ll see more of an influx of extremely rude people.

ONLY way around it is a proper game design that encourages shared tagging, not fighting over resources etc., much of which gw2 has elements of. That being said, this event is kinda crappy :P

“Religion. It’s given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.”—Jon Stewart

Aerwyna.2541

I guess so, I just worry that no one is helping the people that ask for it, and instead are being butts about it.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, toxic chat in general is still a problem in GW2 and the only way it will get better is to get more dev enforcement. This is especially needed in HotM.

ANet love to cite this as a particularly friendly/helpful community, but I think that’s only really true when you come from the lower standards you get after playing many other MMOs. Sadly, there’s still too many people who just avoid MMOs altogether because people can’t act like respectful human beings to each other as soon as they start communicating over the internet.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

@Aerwyna
A noble sentiment. One that I agree with actually, and I honestly applaud you for it.
But, this is the internet we are talking about. The place where every mental-child can hide behind their computer monitors and say whatever they want without fear of repercussion.
It’s a sad state of affairs, really… Everyone with an axe to furiously grind, or who thinks that can do everything better then the people doing it, comes out in droves and screams like babies…
Why? Because they can.
All I can say is, unfortunately… so long as this Anonymity of the internet prevails, there is little we can do about the angry children who throw their temper-tantrums. If they get truly vitriolic in Map (or any other) chat, report them for Verbal Abuse.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I have been known today to tell people to keep their moaning to themselves. I wanted this to be a fun social thing and I couldn’t pay attention to map chat after about 10 minutes. It was grossly toxic and draining away at my happy attitude.

Let’s unite and blast them with some carebear stares! xD

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Here’s the thing Ren, I didn’t see any “toxicity” but I did see a lot of annoyed and disappointed people, and those people who are annoyed and disappointed actually are the community. The new players are seeing just what they’re getting into. That’s actually a good thing.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Internet will be internet and masses will run around with pitchforks due to their inability to do so in real life(trust me they would if they could).

No they wouldn’t. :p
The vast majority of internet babies are far too cowardly to step out from behind their computer monitors to ever do such a thing.
The moment any possibility of real repercussions comes up, regardless of what those repercussions might actually be, the majority of internet trolls suddenly find a way to control themselves.
Kind of amazing really, when you look at it…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Aerwyna.2541

I saw actual name calling and “uninstall your game” stuff.

CandyHearts.6025

Here’s the thing Ren, I didn’t see any “toxicity” but I did see a lot of annoyed and disappointed people, and those people who are annoyed and disappointed actually are the community. The new players are seeing just what they’re getting into. That’s actually a good thing.

No offense sir but after a comment like that you’re not deemed a good judge of negativity. o_O

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You’re preaching to the choir. Unfortunately, the forums and the game contain a percentage of people who would rather curse the darkness than light a single candle. Nothing you can do about it.

Aerwyna.2541

I know I cant change everything, was just suggesting maybe a few of use could divert a little of the bad.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

The main problem is anet for whatever reason can not release content that isn’t broken in some way or another. Its been like this for 3 years. People just get excited to go do something new and why bother to hurry its most likely to be bugged.

Aerwyna.2541

Ive played for the 3 years and I havent seen all of this broken content lol Maybe I am dumb. Ive seen a few bugs here and there like most MMOs.

CandyHearts.6025

I know I cant change everything, was just suggesting maybe a few of use could divert a little of the bad.

It’s a great sentiment that I share completely.

Sadly it wont change even when the event is unbugged. There’s always something. But ah well! As long as we have fun who cares! xD

Posted by: Jax.4903

Jax.4903

Sadly, there’s still too many people who just avoid MMOs altogether because people can’t act like respectful human beings to each other as soon as they start communicating over the internet.

Internet manners weren’t as bad when online gaming first started, but now extremely rude behavior in games & forums seems to have become the accepted norm among many and it is only reinforced by the anonymity of the net. Is it because players forget their words & actions are impacting other people or because they don’t care?

Having said that, I have encountered many nice, helpful players in GW2 and feel it has a better community than many of the MMORPGs I have played since Ultima Online.

Pifil.5193

No offense sir but after a comment like that you’re not deemed a good judge of negativity. o_O

None taken. And, no offence in turn, but I feel the exact same about you after your comment.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

The community has changed a lot over the past 3 years, in the beginning the GW2 community was one of the best in the gaming industry, in my opinion. Anyway, do think the only way to make a change is by starting with yourself and hope that your positive energy flows over to other people who in turn will pay it forward.

Keep the faith

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

If being kittened off that the event is broken after 9 months of nothing and that nothing has been done to fix it is toxic then yeah, I am pretty toxic and that is something I am justified in being.

I agree that it can be off-putting to the new players but I don’t see how that should mean that I should accept having my day ruined because I want one of the rewards and I can’t get blooms because it doesn’t work. If you want one of the potions you need to play for 90 hours out of the 96 available hours that this event is up. As if it isn’t already nearly impossible but it doesn’t give you rewards on top of that? It is frustrating. And it is even more frustrating having people in map chat telling you that it doesn’t matter if you don’t get rewards.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Here’s the thing: no, you saw a handful of annoyed and disappointed people. On one particular map. A few people don’t represent the community; they are just the vocal minority with a particular point of view. (That also goes for people with rose-colored glasses posting apologies for ANet in the forums — they, too, don’t represent the community.)

I’m not bothered by people hating an event or being upset with ANet for tarnishing what should have been one of the more exciting things to happen in the live game in the last 8 months. I agree with many who find it mind-boggling that ANet still fumbles things that seem like they should be easy wins.

No, what bothers me is when those people post in /map chat in way that suggests that that’s the only point of view. And that they can’t wait for me to see for myself just how fun (or dumb or pointless or awesome) the event is. They aren’t just upset — they expect others to immediately validate their point of view and expect ANet to support the forum in which they do that.

tl;dr one’s right to express one’s opinion doesn’t necessarily extend to shouting it in the face of others, who might not share it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Dinks.2478

I agree that it can be off-putting to the new players but I don’t see how that should mean that I should accept having my day ruined because I want one of the rewards and I can’t get blooms because it doesn’t work. If you want one of the potions you need to play for 90 hours out of the 96 available hours that this event is up. As if it isn’t already nearly impossible but it doesn’t give you rewards on top of that? It is frustrating. And it is even more frustrating having people in map chat telling you that it doesn’t matter if you don’t get rewards.

This sort of attitude is exactly the problem. Flame me all you want, but people with your sort of opinion need to take a break from the game. It has become a job where you’re expecting an hourly wage. This events intent was to bring guilds into these low level zones and expose new players who otherwise might never have met them. The event is bugged. That’s a bummer, but this is a game, not a job. You and people like you are treating it that way and that is the source of the toxicity. Having a tantrum because you didn’t get a reward and claiming your Entire day was ruined as a result is, frankly, ridiculous. A game is about having fun. The moment you aren’t having fun is the moment you need to stop and do something else for a little while.

Getting rewarded is the fun. Getting skins is the fun. Don’t pretend like your definition of fun is the only one that exists. That is more toxic than anything else. We’re all entitled to our own version of fun and having content not reward me is not an acceptable form of it. If you can honestly say to my face that you find this content fun and rewarding without rewards I have no choice but to believe you but I’d still be skeptical.

CandyHearts.6025

Arguing back and forth is negating the point of this thread.

Be respectful of the OP and take it to private message.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

I read everything and there was no mention of which word they would like to have. Guess I’ll pour these alphabets back in the cereal box…

P.S. Love you, too, Ren!

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

IMHO the reason why the community was nicer in the past was that the
content was so easy and mostly couldn’t fail. Nobody is calling people names
when a Worldboss takes a little longer .. but if it fails .. then i begins.

So in the end, the more ANet listens to the “make it harder, give us more fails” croud
the more toxic the map chat will get.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Dinks.2478

So in the end, the more ANet listens to the “make it harder, give us more fails” croud

Difficulty is not a problem, TTW isn’t toxic. This event isn’t hard, if anything it is super easy. There are no rewards, that is the problem.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Difficulty is not a problem, TTW isn’t toxic. This event isn’t hard, if anything it is super easy. There are no rewards, that is the problem.

What is TTW ? I know that there are at least a lot of discussions about people
wanting to kick other players out of SW because they are AFK or even want
to report them or whatever.

Never heared anything like that for example at Shatterer or Clawmag and
especially never before the fail timers where introduced.

Also i wouldn’t say that SW is hard .. but it has a decent failchance, and if it
fails then people always seek someone to blame for.

Oh .. and the “no reward” idea is also someting that came from the community
i think .. so that only people who “work hard” are worthy to get loot and that
it is not “just another farmfest where you only spam #1”

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Pifil.5193

Here’s the thing: no, you saw a handful of annoyed and disappointed people. On one particular map. A few people don’t represent the community; they are just the vocal minority with a particular point of view. (That also goes for people with rose-colored glasses posting apologies for ANet in the forums — they, too, don’t represent the community.)

I’m not bothered by people hating an event or being upset with ANet for tarnishing what should have been one of the more exciting things to happen in the live game in the last 8 months. I agree with many who find it mind-boggling that ANet still fumbles things that seem like they should be easy wins.

I would argue that they are just as representative of the community (such as it is) as anyone else is. I take your point that a community is not a single mind and a single opinion but made up of individuals with vastly different feelings and attitudes. If we’re going to refer to a GW2 community at all then, yes, they are just as representative of that community as the white knights are. This is what the GW2 community is,good and bad alike.

No, what bothers me is when those people post in /map chat in way that suggests that that’s the only point of view. And that they can’t wait for me to see for myself just how fun (or dumb or pointless or awesome) the event is. They aren’t just upset — they expect others to immediately validate their point of view and expect ANet to support the forum in which they do that.

tl;dr one’s right to express one’s opinion doesn’t necessarily extend to shouting it in the face of others, who might not share it.

I hardly think that posting in map chat counts as “shouting in the face of others”. Also, that there exist people who are incapable of accepting that there are multiple points of view should be no real surprise to anyone on the internet. To maintain my sanity I mentally insert “in my opinion” whenever I read peoples map chat.

Pifil.5193

I enjoy this game. I don’t play it for the rewards. Yes, I work towards things, but for me it’s about the community and the journey. As far as I’m concerned the reward means nothing without those two factors. You can be as skeptical as you like. I’ll sleep just fine tonight.

Then those are your rewards. I’m not trying to shoe horn myself into your conversation (well, I obviously am) but in reward/motivational theory there are two main types of rewards, intrinsic and extrinsic. Put simply, intrinsic rewards are those like you mention, “the community and the journey” rewards you get simply for doing the activity, extrinsic rewards are things like loot, gold, xp or some other number going up. Different people are rewarded by different things, some purely want the intrinsic rewards, some the extrinsic ones, most I would say like a mix of both.

It’s simply that when people who are rewarded by participation say they want no rewards they simply mean they don’t want extrinsic rewards (if you didn’t find participation rewarding then you wouldn’t be playing the game).

Anyway, I’ll duck out now.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

ANet love to cite this as a particularly friendly/helpful community, but I think that’s only really true when you come from the lower standards you get after playing many other MMOs.

Well, yes. And it is vastly better in comparison. I’ve played a few MMOs and GW2 is bar none the friendlier of communities.

The internet as a whole though is a… unique… brand. As such that includes GW2. To a lesser degree certainly, but that’s just how it goes on the internet.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GIFT

Anet can’t fix the human condition.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

Turn off map chat.

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

an opinion

Attachments:

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Aerwyna.2541

I really didnt mean to upset anyone, was just trying to help the community a little with a small thought from me.

And I never said that no one should be mad about the events, do whatever, but I dont think name calling or aggressively asserting your OPINION on someone is very good for the community.

I dunno, maybe I was wrong. I am often.
But I am very sorry if this offended anyone.

Aerwyna.2541

Turn off map chat.

Its not I, who has the problem. I do not care if map chat is toxic for myself because I personally know that these people exist and its not going to change, I was simply trying to see if we could make a more accepting community for newer players.

So turning it off for myself doesnt help the situation since its not I who is bothered. But thanks for your input.

Aerwyna.2541

an opinion

I am truly sorry but I dont get it.

Aerwyna.2541

If being kittened off that the event is broken after 9 months of nothing and that nothing has been done to fix it is toxic then yeah, I am pretty toxic and that is something I am justified in being.

I am not saying you have, but I dont think being angry to the point of calling names and such is justified. Maybe I should have been clearer with the toxicity level.

Aerwyna.2541

Also, thank you all for your input. I think this is something that should be discussed but try to keep it civil like it has been so far.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

I really didnt mean to upset anyone, was just trying to help the community a little with a small thought from me.

And I never said that no one should be mad about the events, do whatever, but I dont think name calling or aggressively asserting your OPINION on someone is very good for the community.

Event bugged and the event design rewards leeching more than completing events (tag and run). Players are expressing their dislike for the event and the poor design of it. I personally won’t be participating in this event because of the later. It shouldn’t be too confusing as to why the event is causing toxicity among the playerbase. Players expressing themselves is the best manner to communicate and get the problem corrected now and in the future. If people just accepted everything Anet did and praised poor choices we wouldn’t have the extra slot for Hot either.

This event is broken in both its execution and design. It should be scrapped and taken back to the drawing board.

Posted by: Ketilya.2308

Ketilya.2308

I am not saying you have, but I dont think being angry to the point of calling names and such is justified. Maybe I should have been clearer with the toxicity level.

Yeah, I imagine the point of this thread is not to tell people that they don’t have a right to complain or to express an opinion. People have a right to express disappointment and anger in a reasonable way, but they do not have the right to do what you described, e.g. telling people to uninstall their games, calling names, etc., especially if they’re just trying to get clarification, ask a question or give an opinion of their own. You can be frustrated without taking it out on other people – in fact, if you’re so angry, you should take it out on the Mordrem! Anet even said it was their fault in the first place. XP

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

This events intent was to bring guilds into these low level zones and expose new players who otherwise might never have met them.

ah, that explains the lack of guild integration and waypoint requirement. also the gold requirements on loot.

The event is bugged.

yes. but a lot of the issues aren’t bugs, they’re design problems.

Aerwyna.2541

Event bugged and the event design rewards leeching more than completing events (tag and run). Players are expressing their dislike for the event and the poor design of it. I personally won’t be participating in this event because of the later. It shouldn’t be too confusing as to why the event is causing toxicity among the playerbase. Players expressing themselves is the best manner to communicate and get the problem corrected now and in the future. If people just accepted everything Anet did and praised poor choices we wouldn’t have the extra slot for Hot either.

This event is broken in both its execution and design. It should be scrapped and taken back to the drawing board.

It seems I am being um, misunderstood? Yes communicate, I encourage this. But when someone says “THIS GAME IS A PIECE OF kitten BECAUSE OF THIS EVENT” and then another says “Oh, but I really like this game.” and then the first one says " WELL ITS BECAUSE YOURE kittenED" (or other expletives, which I actually have seen 2 cases of this today), then I think thats a little too far. By all means, say youre upset and want it fixed. I never said you couldnt. As you could read in my post.

Aerwyna.2541

Yeah, I imagine the point of this thread is not to tell people that they don’t have a right to complain or to express an opinion. People have a right to express disappointment and anger in a reasonable way, but they do not have the right to do what you described, e.g. telling people to uninstall their games, calling names, etc., especially if they’re just trying to get clarification, ask a question or give an opinion of their own. You can be frustrated without taking it out on other people – in fact, if you’re so angry, you should take it out on the Mordrem! Anet even said it was their fault in the first place. XP

Finally someone got it! 10 points to you! lol They can express it all they want, but I think it shouldnt be at the expense of someone else.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

Finally someone got it! 10 points to you! lol They can express it all they want, but I think it shouldnt be at the expense of someone else.

Well asking Anet politely doesn’t exactly have a good track record of getting changes to happen. People will go to the extreme due to the way Anet handles problems that are perceived by the playerbase, if if that means stirring up people in a negative manner so be it. Asking Anet politely didn’t get my legendary refunded during the Wardrobe patch while many others got a refund(probably didn’t help that so few people had the problem), but lashing out at Anet over the Hot pricing scheme got a character slot added and there was a lot of hatred directed at other players during that debacle.

The way these issues are handled only reinforces extremely negative responses toward Anet and their staff as well as players who support them.

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

I know this isn’t the right place to ask but i was excited to get home and try this event, what is going wrong with it?

Posted by: Noxicon.4956

Noxicon.4956

This sort of attitude is exactly the problem. Flame me all you want, but people with your sort of opinion need to take a break from the game. It has become a job where you’re expecting an hourly wage. This events intent was to bring guilds into these low level zones and expose new players who otherwise might never have met them. The event is bugged. That’s a bummer, but this is a game, not a job. You and people like you are treating it that way and that is the source of the toxicity. Having a tantrum because you didn’t get a reward and claiming your Entire day was ruined as a result is, frankly, ridiculous. A game is about having fun. The moment you aren’t having fun is the moment you need to stop and do something else for a little while.

I want to introduce you to a pretty simple concept:

Your definition of fun is not the only one.

Let that sink in for a sec.

You ready?

Ok, now we can talk like adults. If you do not see how this event is absurdly problematic, then I would say it is you who is the problem in the community. It has become accepted by some people to release blatantly buggy things that break the game every single patch. You fall back on ‘well they’re making HoT and are stretched thin’ and other bs excuses. Meanwhile the quality has dropped to epic levels, Anet is dodging questions left and right leaving their playerbase with absolutely no idea of what is going on, and legions of prominent Anet employees have left for greener pastures. That may be ok to you, but I’ve put a lot of money into Anet’s pockets. I deserve a quality product regardless of what they are doing elsewhere. If they cannot offer that product, they should not put it out there for consumption. You know, like literally every other profession in the world.

The fact that it’s a ‘game’ has absolutely no bearing. It is a service and a product which they are charging people for, and thus they have accountability to them. Calling people toxic for being angry at absolute kitten poor design and execution on every level solves absolutely nothing. This release perfectly sums up the last 6 months of what they have done with this game, and your sunshine and rainbows are blinding you to that fact.

Do you want me to illustrate why this is flawed? Ok then.

You say the purpose was to bring guilds into low level areas and introduce new players to them. OK cool. I can see you drank the Kool-Aide. The problem is this event is not remotely social. The events are completed so quickly that its impossible to ‘play with friends’ really. I know because my guild had events planned for this. We were all in the same map waiting and many of us were anxious to interact with new players and the GW2 community. When an event ends 2 minutes after it starts, its not possible to get your guild or even your party to the same location as you. And me running around the same map with people i know while simultaneously not doing a kitten thing with them is not my idea of ‘getting guilds into lower levels’.

This event also seems to have the intention of rewarding you more for events you qualify for than events you actually stay and complete. Thus, you tag and move to the next one instead of actually helping people. It becomes waypoint wars and you simply zip around the map. You can argue until you’re blue in the face that i’m not ‘playing for fun’ (when I am), but their system CLEARLY indicates this is how they intended it to function, otherwise it would not be there.

My guild participated in the recruiting post made by Gaile and is a part of the new database Anet put together of guilds in GW2. I was in maps 3 hours early informing people about the event that Anet made a simple passing mention of, informing them to unlock all waypoints. Do you know how I knew that? Because this is essentially the same function as the Toxic invasions, just reskinned with different enemies.

And what a reskin they did. 2 whole event variations. kitten , I’m impressed. This is the new player introduction? 40 minutes of running around the map doing the same kitten 2 events repeatedly which die in 30 seconds and require no interaction with anyone? That’s your idea of what Guild Wars 2 is? Again, tell me how it’s me and people like me who are the issue in the community.

It is actually possible for people to be passionate about video games, and that doesn’t make them strange or weird. I have many thousands of hours and many thousands of dollars in this game. If I’m kittened, you coming along telling me I have no right to be is going to solve absolutely nothing, and I’m probably going to have some even more choice words for you than this post has had. This release sums up PRECISELY what is wrong at Anet right now. Meanwhile, you pump the hell out of sunshine and tolerate mediocrity while throwing your money at them with zero expectation. Perhaps you have the luxury of doing that, but I have to actually care what I put money into.

Posted by: thefinnster.7105

thefinnster.7105

thing to keep in mind this not not realy the mentality of most players
in fact the majority of us are being calm and lvl headed and not saying anything in map chat and in fact these cry babys are realy the the minority its just that this is the type of thing that makes them more vocal
its easy to find yourselff agreeing with them and joining in on map chat when you are frsutrated i dare say there isnt a single person who posted on this thread who can honestly say they have never flamed in map chat at one time or another myselff included (kitten those pve pugs on EBG curse you all) anyway try to see the big picture there are more players holding there tongues than you realize

Posted by: thefinnster.7105

thefinnster.7105

actualy i kinda agree alot on what Noxicon.4956 has to say particularly about the point he makes about the quality of the product , i often ask myself is Anet even bother testing this stuff before release as prety much anything they add to the game has some bug or another , some small and others masive flaws in there design
ultimatly if Anet done a better job testing this stuff and put out a working event chain then there wouldent be this amount of toxicity in map chat
the problem is as long as this stuff is considerd free content then Anet have no obligation to meet a certain lvl of quality they can just knock out any patch they want whether it works or not and deal with it later witch seems to be there way of thinking and sadly has made this event a total blunder in my opinion coz they have realy shown the new players what we can expect from HoT and thats loads of bugs and loads of toxic QQ in map chat
but remember Anet we are paying for HoT this time so we the customer expect you to meet a certain lvl of quality

Posted by: MarySueLlama.8136

MarySueLlama.8136

I’ve noticed a lot more negativity in map chat over the past few months or so in general – I haven’t even seen this new event yet. It may just be a normal effect of more players joining; automatically some of them coming in are probably going to be nasty people, just like others coming in will be nice people. I am thankful for the fellow players who speak up against distasteful comments (racist/anti-gay/ageist etc.), but honestly I do have experience with MMOs that have much less hostile map chats than this one.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I finally had a chance to participate in one of these events in Brisbane Wildlands. The entire 30 minutes map chat was flooded with complaining about how the event was terrible.

I mean, I have experienced more toxic and unhappy chat in game (I’m looking at you World of Tanks), but wow, they crying was real today.

~sigh~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Internet will be internet I’m afraid…I understand the hatred of the event but having that hatred fired at others is not ok

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

@Aerwyna
A noble sentiment. One that I agree with actually, and I honestly applaud you for it.
But, this is the internet we are talking about. The place where every mental-child can hide behind their computer monitors and say whatever they want without fear of repercussion.
It’s a sad state of affairs, really… Everyone with an axe to furiously grind, or who thinks that can do everything better then the people doing it, comes out in droves and screams like babies…
Why? Because they can.
All I can say is, unfortunately… so long as this Anonymity of the internet prevails, there is little we can do about the angry children who throw their temper-tantrums. If they get truly vitriolic in Map (or any other) chat, report them for Verbal Abuse.

No they wouldn’t. :p
The vast majority of internet babies are far too cowardly to step out from behind their computer monitors to ever do such a thing.
The moment any possibility of real repercussions comes up, regardless of what those repercussions might actually be, the majority of internet trolls suddenly find a way to control themselves.
Kind of amazing really, when you look at it…

It’s hilarious how you claim to agree with the OP and yet your posts are the very definition of toxic.