Hey, new guy here

Hey, new guy here

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malakin.3601

Malakin.3601

So yeah. I’m prepared to be utterly lost. Figured I’d come here and introduce myself while it’s downloading. It’s been awhile since I’ve done the ‘mmo thing’. I’m a veteran of WOW; I played for 4 solid years and just got worn out on it. Also got tired of the monthly fees. I was attracted to the ‘pay once’ model of GW2. And it doesn’t seem to be a pay to win scenario. So, here I am. I know I’m late to the party, but, it seems a lot of patches have happened and a lot of things have been tweaked for the better. I’m excited to jump in and get involved. Not sure what to expect, but hey, for 40 bucks, I’m not going to be too crushed if it’s a letdown.

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

Grin, I doubt you’ll be let down. But be prepared to “re-learn” everything

Ask questions when you’re playing and don’t know something, use the wiki and the forum and you’ll be fine!

Welcome to Tyria!

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Welcome to GW2!

see this thread here from today. You aren’t alone in “joining the party late”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Greetings-Just-Purchased-GW2/first#post3631085

Welcome again. Come on in. The water’s fine.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: dmGinC.6128

dmGinC.6128

Hi Malakin!

I just also bought GW2 and almost done installing! We should add each other and play like two noobs :p

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

You’re going to have to relearn alot of things because GW2 flips some things around. Since combat is integral to GW2, I would start brushing up on learning and timing dodges and reading the enemy’s tells for their attacks.

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Welcome.

Chances are you will find its $40 well spent.

Read players helping players forum to help you get over the learning curve.

Also, remember that 99% of players are level 80, doing level 80 stuff. So the levelling zones will be quiet.

If you want loads of players around you when you level, you can level via World vs World (particularly the new Edge of the Mists map) or the champion train in Queensdale.

Map your dodge to middle mouse button and use it often.

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

Try it, if you don’t like it, you can ask for a refund. (I believe it’s 3 months time)

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Welcome!

As others have said, be prepared to relearn a lot of things. Also, while you’re at it, there are a few things you need to “unlearn” in order to learn the new mechanics of this game:

1. There is no “trinity” so you have to learn to depend on yourself for well-timed heals. There is no dedicated healers, although some professions do have “group buffs” that can heal a bit, but not enough to be solely responsible for healing a group.

2. Dodge is your friend! Timing your dodges correctly can bail you out of a lot of otherwise impossible situations.

3. Get yourself harvesting tools as soon as you can. In this game, everyone can harvest nodes/plants/trees with absolutely no node stealing. (Thank you ANet!!!)

4. (BIG THING to relearn) There is no kill stealing. People can actually help others without grouping and both parties still get experience, karma, and rewards. So, if you’re hammering away at a mob, and someone comes along and hits it a couple of times, it’s ok.

Finally, a piece of advice: Don’t let someone else tell you that you’re doing it wrong. There is no right or wrong way to play the game. Yes, there will be trolls and elitist idiots, as there are in every game, but in general, the people here are good, and are more than willing to help. Oh, and stay away from the general forums. Sometimes, reading the complaints can get you down and you begin to actually doubt whether you’re having fun or not.

If you need anything, I am on a NA server, so you are welcome to give me a holler and if I can, I will be happy to run with you.

Cheers!

Level 80 Elementalist

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

1. Thing You Need To Know: the “Champ Train” is not how you play this game.

(You don’t know what I mean by this yet, but write a post-it for yourself. You’ll eventually find out, be confused, and maybe get it all wrong and hate the game.)

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Welcome.

Chances are you will find its $40 well spent.

Read players helping players forum to help you get over the learning curve.

Also, remember that 99% of players are level 80, doing level 80 stuff. So the levelling zones will be quiet.

If you want loads of players around you when you level, you can level via World vs World (particularly the new Edge of the Mists map) or the champion train in Queensdale.

Map your dodge to middle mouse button and use it often.

Queens Dale champ train is not a good way for someone to learn how to level with mindless grinding in a circuit making new players think that’s how you play the game and then quit.

Otherwise, welcome! Join a healthy high populated server if you want more populated lower level areas. I know all the servers say they have a high population but they don’t. Go to the main gw2 page and click on rankings and then wvw rankings and from their you will see the highest populated servers. I’d go with a tier two or three server. GL!

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Welcome aboard!

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

First off, I would say…hello and welcome to GW2, Malakin!

Second, I would say…go into your interface menu and turn off the ‘double-tap forward to dodge’ nonsense and keybind ‘dodge’ to a single press of a solitary key. Your jumping puzzle achievements will thank you.

Third, learn to use your ‘dodge’ ability.

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

welcome then its not like wow so u have to forgeth how playing and lvling wow works here its difrent but i think u gona like it

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Type “/wiki” into your ingame chat window and then press enter. You can pretty much do that with any term that you come across ingame. Example “/wiki food” , “/wiki boon” , “/wiki condition” , “/wiki finisher”.

While you wait you could google gw2 wiki.

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

So yeah. I’m prepared to be utterly lost. Figured I’d come here and introduce myself while it’s downloading. It’s been awhile since I’ve done the ‘mmo thing’. I’m a veteran of WOW; I played for 4 solid years and just got worn out on it. Also got tired of the monthly fees. I was attracted to the ‘pay once’ model of GW2. And it doesn’t seem to be a pay to win scenario. So, here I am. I know I’m late to the party, but, it seems a lot of patches have happened and a lot of things have been tweaked for the better. I’m excited to jump in and get involved. Not sure what to expect, but hey, for 40 bucks, I’m not going to be too crushed if it’s a letdown.

Welcome friend!

One thing you’ll need to know: Don’t be afraid to ask questions on the forums about Living World’s storyline. Unfortunately, there is no way for new players to catch up on the Scarlet Briar story events in-game. Like you, I came in late to the game, and it took alot of investigating to get to know the where, when, and why of the Living story events. I still don’t know everything about the Living Story, and I’ve been bugging the devs to fix this problem.

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

Someone already posted a link for new players where I posted, so I won;t repeat what I said there. However, I’d like to welcome ya to Gw2

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Welcome to you as well. I have a post in the other thread referenced above, so I won’t retype all my tips here.

Still, depending on what you’re looking for in a game depends on how well you will like GW2. If you’re looking for hardcore dungeoning and raiding like WoW, you won’t find it here. Yeah we have dungeons, but it’s not quite the same. Now, if you’re looking for something a bit more laid back, enjoy the scenic ride sort of play, then you might be happy here.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Welcome to GW2. If you’ve taken a break MMOs, but played WoW, then GW2 is a solid choice for coming back. A lot of mechanics are streamlined so that the experience is easier to get into, but there’s still plenty of depth to keep things interested.

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

ive actually been doing map completion for my legendary (Started game at launch and I just never finished maps, im lazy) and been in the early level areas… wow, theres SO many new players lately! congrats, its a worthy purchase

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

Absolutely money well spent. While others have offered you some great practical advice (seriously: learn to dodge now, not later, and the wiki+Dulfy are the best bastions of knowledge), I have a small, heartening observation I want to drop. What the devs are doing in GW2 is pretty unprecedented, as far as this “new content every 2 weeks to tell a story” thing goes. I’ve been here since the preview weekend, and each release keeps improving. The devs clearly learn from the bumps and feedback in each patch — this is what keeps me hopeful for the future.

If achievements for the Living Story ever seem out of reach, for example, one of the improvements in the last year is adding the ability to earn LS achievements through doing a LS daily activity. Currently, it’s attempting the Marionette or the Jungle Wurm once per day. Not winning, just attempting. That counts for both your daily AND a LS achievement.

The last LS release really shines as an example of this. I’d encourage you to try and level up to 25 and get yourself to Lornar’s Pass to participate in the Twisted Marionette fight. Others may throw shade at this suggestion because you won’t be a maxed character and this fight is going to be really tough for you. But 1) most dedicated players have earned their achievements and the event is far less busy than it was last week, so you probably won’t succeed anyways and thus should yolo as hard as you can and 2) this release might be gone next Tuesday, so you should at least get a glimpse of what it’s like before then. It’s one of the most exciting fights to date. Maybe read the sticky on Marionette tactics and watch some youtube videos so you don’t feel totally overwhelmed. The fight occurs every even hour (according to PST). It used to be that there was one LS character at the end of each lane to talk to, but they’re gone now and replaced with generic NPCs. Attempting the boss (not beating it) used to allow access to a story instance in Lion’s Arch that would have been a fantastic introduction to the LS characters. Maybe you can find a video of that. I would also recommend jumping into Edge of the Mists. At the very least, you can linger around the waypoint you loaded into and listen to Braham and Taimi to get a feel for some of the story elements.

I’d also recommend beginning the search for an active and organized Guild that fits your needs/personality/lifestyle. You may have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince, but a good guild can make all the difference in helping you feel comfortable with more advanced content. They also open up really fun and beautiful places like Guild Puzzles and Guild Rushes, and are so much better than PUGs for fun/memories. Though, I’ve had my share of great PUGs to be fair.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Welcome!
Just thought I’d throw this out there: if you’re feeling lost with the story/direction of the game or are interested in general information about what’s going on, I highly recommend the youtuber “woodenpotatoes”

Hey, new guy here

Posted by: hannahwho.2859

hannahwho.2859

First off, I would say…hello and welcome to GW2, Malakin!

Second, I would say…go into your interface menu and turn off the ‘double-tap forward to dodge’ nonsense and keybind ‘dodge’ to a single press of a solitary key. Your jumping puzzle achievements will thank you.

Third, learn to use your ‘dodge’ ability.

i use the double tap dodge and find it very natural. but i do have to remember to turn it off when i do jps

Welcome to the game! it’s great and I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun!

Yes, i am a ranger that mains a longbow. Problem?