Hide Online Status Rework Please

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Panzer.3162

Panzer.3162

Proposition: Give the players a fighting chance here Arena Net, we want the ability to hide offline from anyone except our guild and our friends list. Just give us the opportunity to live in peace while playing the game. You had the feature in guild wars 1 with a do-not-disturb bring it back revamp it make it nicer whatever. Just give us this chance against the spam we get flooded with on a daily if not hourly basis.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

If this suggestion were put in place, would it not make it more difficult to meet/chat with people outside of your guild/friend roster?

I only fear that everyone and their mother would choose this option because of the problem – then goodbye whispering strangers. “So what?” you may ask. Well talking with people on map chat is open to trolling = another problem, and /say chat has limited range.

Would prefer a solution to the problem, in place of any suggestion to hide from the problem.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I suggested this months ago: reporting someone for ~bleep~ should also block them, instead of having to do that in two actions. Also, as soon as an account gets like 5 or 10 reports, they are automatically censured and can’t chat/whisper for a few hours and are immediately reviewed for banning. no more ban waves. If it’s done as it happens, then they won’t pile up and everyone is happier.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Also, as soon as an account gets like 5 or 10 reports, they are automatically censured and can’t chat/whisper for a few hours and are immediately reviewed for banning. no more ban waves. If it’s done as it happens, then they won’t pile up and everyone is happier.

Sadly that would be open to far too much abuse.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

The best thing to do, is to give us an option, to block whispers, and only friends and guilds are allowed to whisper.

Posted by: Gaz.1320

Gaz.1320

I have to agree with nexxe, I think that is the best option. I have very rarely had any whispers from people outside my friends that wasn’t a “thanks”. Due to the way multiple guilds can be joined, as well as most people that whisper tend to be within /say distance most times, I can see no reason why this shouldn’t be allowed as an option.

Just this morning I had 6 different whispered gold spam messages over a 3min period. They’re even using the full website URL in caps without any special lettering or icons.

Again I strongly agree with Nexxe, please consider this as an option since fighting gold spammers will be an unending battle for Anet but limiting their targeted audience may be a good start.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

I certainly do understand that there is some desire for limiting whispers from “Some People”, who will remain nameless but I do not agree that this is the solution.

As a gregarious person myself I tend to whisper people that I don’t know all the time.

Usually with offers of help to those who:

• look like they are floundering in a certain area
  • are failing at a Jumping Puzzle
  • are obviously new to the game or area
  • have a question posed in /map or /say that I can help them with directly…

By allowing people to just turn all whispers off for those outside your personal circle of friends would pretty much end many people from helping others.

Yes of course I could just post my offers of assistance in regular chat but many times the chat scrolls so fast that responses would be missed.

I think we are soothing the symptom here, not diagnosing and treating the disease!

Posted by: synk.8762

synk.8762

I’d love to see the option for a White list for whispers, be it your Friends list or a separate list, with the option to switch between the current system. For me, that’d be a happy medium between how it is now and a complete blackout option. There are times when people want to be social, and times when they want some quiet time to themselves. I think a White list would facilitate that.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I’d love to see the option for a White list for whispers, be it your Friends list or a separate list, with the option to switch between the current system. For me, that’d be a happy medium between how it is now and a complete blackout option. There are times when people want to be social, and times when they want some quiet time to themselves. I think a White list would facilitate that.

This is so true. And a good solution.

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Would be better to have a few options from
1 – Complete hide – hide from everyone and everything
2 – everyone but friends list and guild
3 – everyone but guild.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Would be better to have a few options from
1 – Complete hide – hide from everyone and everything
2 – everyone but friends list and guild
3 – everyone but guild.

This would basically eliminate random gold spam. Anet needs to do this!

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Honestly I’d add in opting out of being followed >_>

I had one guy constantly trying to ERP my Sylvari on different accounts before.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And here i thought OP was talking about the problems with current offline status (where it shows you offline, but constantly updates your location, thus showing you are not really offline).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November