High risk....no rewards?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

They already had the best way of doing it, and they only have used it once maybe. SAB reward structure was the best. You could grind it as much as you wanted to get the BBs to get the exact item you wanted (which was account bound), or you could be lucky with the RNG and get a tradeable version (though it was random). The carapace armor boxes are the only thing that closely uses this system (either grind the thousand(s) of bandit crests, or loot one from specific chest(s)).
If only they’d utilize this reward structure with Teq and Wurm…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

@Skull that system is still in place for dungeons. You collect tokens by grinding it and then buy set items.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

@Skull that system is still in place for dungeons. You collect tokens by grinding it and then buy set items.

tokens yes, but rng drops no. Dungeon tokens are still a better reward structure than complete RNG though.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I completely agree.

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I hope they will put in some kind of reward track in wvw….

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I hope they will put in some kind of reward track in wvw….

I hope we get reward tracks for everything! Seriously, my best loot ever was from reward tracks and PvP rank up chests.

Posted by: cthaeh.2168

cthaeh.2168

Would you prefer that there be a bar somewhere that fills up a bit every time you do content X at the end of which you get some static reward?

Yes. That’s exactly what I want. ANet should implement that.

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

I don’t want to dismiss this issue at all, and as one of the many unfortunates who’s never seen a precursor drop I’d love any excuse to get more consistent high-end loot, but I have one issue with this thread. Many people are arguing for the implementation of a token system, so that even if random drops don’t favor you, you can eventually trade tokens for that skin you’ve got your eye on. My question is, isn’t that more or less what gold is? We all earn currency by playing, and if we play enough we can use that currency to purchase the item we want from the TP. I don’t see the difference, apart from tokens creating yet another currency to keep track of or item to take up space in our inventories, and the TP keeping gold in player hands (mostly)..

I do like and support the whole reward track idea. It’s like a more material take on the experience bar, and definitely creates a feeling of progression and recognition for your accomplishments.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I don’t want to dismiss this issue at all, and as one of the many unfortunates who’s never seen a precursor drop I’d love any excuse to get more consistent high-end loot, but I have one issue with this thread. Many people are arguing for the implementation of a token system, so that even if random drops don’t favor you, you can eventually trade tokens for that skin you’ve got your eye on. My question is, isn’t that more or less what gold is? We all earn currency by playing, and if we play enough we can use that currency to purchase the item we want from the TP.

The problem with skins and the BLTC in general is that the market is too volatile, and prices tend to increase over time. Reward tracks offer more stable progress towards goals.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I’d love a system that after X amount of time of no drops, say 3000 hours of no precursors, you get a free choice of one. Or an extreme magic find buff for each day you don’t get an awesome drop.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I’m pretty sure that if you’re doing this all for loot, you’re already failing. If gaining things is your measure for having fun then there are much better ways to find your enjoyment. I also feel sorry for you. You really should be playing games because the games are fun, not because you get things in the game.

There should be better rewards for more complex content, but the rewards are still unimportant. This game isn’t about the gear, it’s about the game. It was intended to be about playing the game since max level and a full set of gear capable of doing any content is easy to achieve.

If you didnt know we’re playing a MMO. A big part of MMOs are the rewards. If the game was about having fun and not getting the next big thing or a bad kitten skin you like then there wouldnt be so many skins in the game to begin with.

Its not just about “fun” its the fact that Anet doesnt appreciate the effort we put in their game. It clearly shows when someone with 70 hours has 2 precursors already dropped for them and someone with 3k+ hours playing since launch hasnt even seen a charzooka.

Like I said before, this is a MMO and when it comes to MMOs rewards are huge. Part of that is the way high quality rewards/loot are obtained, which is terrible in Gw2.

Not everyone plays for the reward, some people play as an escape from reality and have learned to make their own fun out of it. I’m personally ambivalent about the rewards, do I like getting good stuff, sure, but I don’t require it to keep playing. I play for my own amusement and let off stress/anger.

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

I’m pretty sure that if you’re doing this all for loot, you’re already failing. If gaining things is your measure for having fun then there are much better ways to find your enjoyment. I also feel sorry for you. You really should be playing games because the games are fun, not because you get things in the game.

There should be better rewards for more complex content, but the rewards are still unimportant. This game isn’t about the gear, it’s about the game. It was intended to be about playing the game since max level and a full set of gear capable of doing any content is easy to achieve.

If you didnt know we’re playing a MMO. A big part of MMOs are the rewards. If the game was about having fun and not getting the next big thing or a bad kitten skin you like then there wouldnt be so many skins in the game to begin with.

Its not just about “fun” its the fact that Anet doesnt appreciate the effort we put in their game. It clearly shows when someone with 70 hours has 2 precursors already dropped for them and someone with 3k+ hours playing since launch hasnt even seen a charzooka.

Like I said before, this is a MMO and when it comes to MMOs rewards are huge. Part of that is the way high quality rewards/loot are obtained, which is terrible in Gw2.

Not everyone plays for the reward, some people play as an escape from reality and have learned to make their own fun out of it. I’m personally ambivalent about the rewards, do I like getting good stuff, sure, but I don’t require it to keep playing. I play for my own amusement and let off stress/anger.

I didnt say people play for loot. I said that loot is a huge part of MMOs weather you personally play for loot or not has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

So…the stories in this thread about how old accounts don’t get good rewards but new accounts do seems kind of depressing. I mean, if the discrepancy is so glaring, why would anyone keep playing their old accounts, knowing all they have to do is make a new one and they’d be rolling in excellent drops and gold?

By playing an old account, aren’t you gimping yourself for the entire life of the game when you could be getting so much more?

Posted by: Fiennis.4387

Fiennis.4387

Desirable loot is incentive to keep playing the game after you’ve played it for thousands of hours and have run out of new things to experience. Literally, “Been there, done that.” If there wasn’t a reward system, people would play the game, finish everything, get bored, and move on to something else. Which is already what a lot of people have done, regardless of this game’s rewards.

No one can disagree that gamers as a whole are a fickle bunch. And why wouldn’t they? There’s always something better, newer, and shinier on the horizon in the gaming industry.

Loot and fancy skins are going to be the only thing keeping players in this game when they’ve already done everything in-game after 2 and a half years. If Anet adds content, then sure, there’s something new to play which is why new content areas fills with players and old content areas become ghost towns.

Anet knows this which is why they make people gather materials from low level areas, why they scale character levels in low level zones and dungeons, and why they have the whole daily reward system.

The entire achievement point system is to incentivize people and to provide a goal that players can aim for. All to keep them from moving on to something else.

Let’s not be naive. A business wants to keep loyal customers that always return for more.

(edited by Fiennis.4387)

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I didnt say people play for loot. I said that loot is a huge part of MMOs weather you personally play for loot or not has nothing to do with it.

It has become a huge part of MMOs, when I started playing MMOs it wasn’t at all. It was just a thing that happened. The purpose was to exist in another world, not to run around randomly in the hopes of acquiring some special thing.

That has been the gradual “growth” of MMOs because of the need for constant gratification, a diminishing imagination, and excessive materialism.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Desirable loot is incentive to keep playing the game

I think thats not the problem. The problem for me is always when people want
to have loot that only they can get, because they are able to click the mouse
100 times per second, while all those “noobs” that can only click 10 per second
can’t get that loot.

So its not about getting loot, but more to prevent others getting good loot.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

How about this:

Someone who has 100% map complete and has done the entire main story line, and has also opened all of the new maps AND is doing content in those new higher level areas should be flagged with a 5-10% greater chance to get precursors and ascended items from the big boss chests in those areas than someone who only has 50% map completion and is running around Lornar’s for the first time, and BOTH of those people should have a better chance of getting any of those items than a person who just bought the account today and ran out into QD and is killing Moa’s by the farm and Franklin skill challenge. THAT person should have as near to 0% chance of getting that precursor as possible.

Otherwise, what is the point in playing the higher level content? Why not just take your level 80 out to the most densely populated/lowest tier mob that you can decimate and just have them maul them for hours on end until a precursor drops? Why even take a level 80 out there?

More importantly, why play the content through to the end? it isn’t like we’re E. Hillary trying to climb Everest “because it was there”. Sure the journey CAN be fun, but if i know that i can the best rewards possible by farming nonsense mobs in Queensdale with little to no effort, then whats the point? If I know I have a “bad luck” account that never gets any worthwhile drops, then why bother playing high level content or ANY content for that matter? Its not like I’m getting rewarded for it. Not meaningfully anyway. its like being in a Skinner Box that doesn’t even do what its supposed to do. The system is broken and Anet needs to address it.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

It has become a huge part of MMOs, when I started playing MMOs it wasn’t at all. It was just a thing that happened. The purpose was to exist in another world, not to run around randomly in the hopes of acquiring some special thing.

That has been the gradual “growth” of MMOs because of the need for constant gratification, a diminishing imagination, and excessive materialism.

Even playing tabletop D&D/Pathfinder, players can pretty much expect to come across at least one amazing piece in their travels. The rewards make the adventure that much more interesting for most people. That’s the same premise that Anet mentioned in their desire to change the Legendary system back in 2013, and why it’s finally happening now. Players don’t need a new shiny every five minutes, but most do want something to look forward to, especially with more difficult content.

Games that have the possibility of rewarding players with absolutely zero no matter how many times they attempt and clear the hardest content, not a trophy to speak of for doing so, aren’t going to leave the majority of players feeling very satisfied. It’s nice to have a “tangible” reward for those accomplishments. This is a digital world, and the rewards are temporary, but they still check the pleasure center in the brain quite nicely.

Beast Sos.1457

Desirable loot is incentive to keep playing the game after you’ve played it for thousands of hours and have run out of new things to experience. Literally, “Been there, done that.” If there wasn’t a reward system, people would play the game, finish everything, get bored, and move on to something else. Which is already what a lot of people have done, regardless of this game’s rewards.

No one can disagree that gamers as a whole are a fickle bunch. And why wouldn’t they? There’s always something better, newer, and shinier on the horizon in the gaming industry.

Loot and fancy skins are going to be the only thing keeping players in this game when they’ve already done everything in-game after 2 and a half years. If Anet adds content, then sure, there’s something new to play which is why new content areas fills with players and old content areas become ghost towns.

Anet knows this which is why they make people gather materials from low level areas, why they scale character levels in low level zones and dungeons, and why they have the whole daily reward system.

The entire achievement point system is to incentivize people and to provide a goal that players can aim for. All to keep them from moving on to something else.

Let’s not be naive. A business wants to keep loyal customers that always return for more.

Then that means players who get kittenty RNG loot have no incentive to play. Is that what you were trying to get to? if not then what?

Beast Sos.1457

Even if thats the case it doesnt change the fact that loot IS a huge part of MMOs now and devs need a cater to that as well. Allo content gets repetitive and boring. If it wasnt for the loot at the end people wouldnt do it. A huge example of that is fractals. How many people do you really think do fractals relative to the population? Barley anyone. Why is that? Because of the loot table/system.

Beast Sos.1457

Desirable loot is incentive to keep playing the game

I think thats not the problem. The problem for me is always when people want
to have loot that only they can get, because they are able to click the mouse
100 times per second, while all those “noobs” that can only click 10 per second
can’t get that loot.

So its not about getting loot, but more to prevent others getting good loot.

The RNG system in gw2 prevents 95% of the population from getting good loot. Why shouldnt it be gated behind something that actually takes effort and some brain power instead of RNG? More people will be able to get that loot and for the people who cant complete the content they can do what they already do and grind out world bosses and easy mode dungeons for the gold to buy it.

Posted by: moony.5780

moony.5780

A-NET PLS CHANGE THE LOOT AND REWARD SYSTEM
it feels just horrible when someone play the game for already 3 years and got nothing nice as a drop and there is no hope for something nice….and also when someone do difficult things..like fractal or soloing a champ or a jp without a mesmer(some r easy some not)…this should be more rewarding

the thing i loved soooo much about gw2 when it launched was its open world…and u could find treasures here and there when u spent time and effort to reach a difficult spot….now it all got ruined for everyone..ruined for new player bcs they get nothing nice from the chest..and ruined for vetran player bcs many of these things got easier that it makes no fun at all.

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

i do feel like i’m being pushed to do sw. and i actually like(d) sw but ran it so much i’m now bored of it.

so i figure i would run dungeons again and i was shocked at how lousy the loot was. i didn’t understand why speedruns were so imperative but now i do. if you run dungeons at a slow pace you are actually behind just harvesting and killing mobs in open pve…much less sw. and i get that anet abandoned dungeons but…dang at least make the loot on par with pve mob killing.

after 6 runs (one path from each dungeon except how and arah)..i had a bunch of useless blue and greens/some t4 and t5 mats/2 rares or something. went and ran sw immediately after this and came back with bags full of mats/6 rares/one 8 gold exotic…

now im running fractals…and i really like the content and it’s tough and fun…but dat loot ^^;. tough to keep going(i mean maybe for ascended rings but then what’s the point-maybe i would be 1% better in zergs in sw?). in fairness i’m only at scale 6 in fractals maybe loot gets better.

it’s frustrating when the tougher content (where your individual contribution actually matters) makes you feel like your wasting your time. could make 3 times as much mindlessly chest farming or doing vw…i’m still going to keep pushing fractals at least for awhile tho.

Posted by: Fiennis.4387

Fiennis.4387

You know what it might be. Better loot for new players, to set the hook.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

There was one occasion when the game did reward high skill, and regular players went bananas. Remember that fuss over the Liadri mini and title?

Honestly, Liadri was just a DPS race and required relatively little skill. Also, her attacks insta-killed any sort of pet or summon (including ranger pets, which is just lazy programming on Anet’s part).

I beat her by circle-strafing her with a shortbow, and would have done it quicker if not for the aforementioned “pet dies instantaneously” thing.

True, but still is what way, way, way better then the grind there is for 90% of the other ‘rewards’ (meaning, gold to buy what you want) in the game.

So Liadri is a good example in what direction the reward system should go. Do content x for item y. The more challenging the content the ‘better’ the item, and with better I pretty much mean more shiny as that is what this game is about.

Maybe you can even have an item with multiple stages. Do x and get item y, do x better and get the upgraded version of item y and do it even better and also get some shiny effect for item y. Where better should not always be faster be maybe a more challenging version of content x.

Many of the the best looking items should be behind interesting fun but challenging content, or content that takes a long time (while not being repetitive) and mix that in with some items you also get from doing specific content but with a doable RNG. So not the RNG we see now in GW2. Then you would have a nice reward system.

The best (looking) items should never simply be behind the longest brainless grind or you can buy by spending cash.