HoT Announced > Core Game Abandoned ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

How [much] long[er] will the content drought be for?

The Chinese New Year patch was the last content update for the game. [Note: No, April Fool’s Day was not content; it was messing with camera and character animation in order to promote a later created Gem Store item. There was no actual content to it at all.] So the CNY happened mid February and ended at the end of the month. That patch contained one rehashed even -Dragon Ball- and a few dailies involving lighting fireworks and spending gold for “luck” and more gold.

Since then we’ve had a single day of open testing of the sPvP Stronghold map and the Beta Portals scavenger hunt. Neither of these are content, but both relating to testing for Heart of Thorns. One was actual testing of content and a sneak peak of said content when it releases. The latter was a “play old content for a very slim chance at testing some unknown for Heart of Thorns”

Oh alright, back on point. Today is May 12th, 2015 and we still have yet to get a release date for Heart of Thorns. This is a retail expansion, so the developers need time to get pre-orders, ship to retailers, etc. Pre-purchase for GW2 was open in April of 2012, with the game releasing on August 28th 2012. I will yield to the fact that the official release date wasn’t announced until June 28th 2012, so there is some time. That is still a 2 month gap between announcement of and actual release.

Given that, the players are still looking at late July at the earliest for release of the HoT expansion. That is 5 to 5 & 1/2 months between content updates for the game. And that is without the most predictable release date that is floating around: end of August, at the 3 year anniversary of the game. With that expectation, it would be 6 & 1/2 months since a content update for the game.

And it used to be a bit sad -and prospectively funny- of those playing WoW Mist of Pandaria between its last patch and the release of Warlords of Draenor. That was over a year long stretch that they were paying a subscription to get no new updates for a LIVING WORLD that is an MMORPG.

Here we are in Guild Wars 2, a self-proclaimed champion of the Living World/Story, and we’re following suit of what other games are doing? Prolonged periods of nothingness followed by a single box release and possibly more periods of nothingness.

Worse is that there is no recycling of events for the game. At least in the previously mentioned competition they have cycled events that happen from month to month or week to week (talking about the STV Fishing Tournament and the Dark Moon Fair). Why isn’t there a turning on of the Super Adventure Box for a week or month? Why must the Queen’s Pavilion still be locked away? Can the Consortium not throw another Beach Bash just because? Not even a relocation of the famed Moa Races?

Oh, and don’t even get me started on how long Lion’s Arch has been in shambles since Scarlet’s destruction of it. At least the rebuilding of the Lion’s Statue was progressed through months after Mad King Thorn destroyed it; same goes for a new Light House post-Ancient Karka smash. However here we are with the city having tons of builders -some without hammers too- doing absolutely nothing to rebuild the city.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Yes, it is really sad they are neglecting the biweekly updates because of the expansion. I also would not count the chinese new year as a content update. It was just some decoration and a rereleased minigame.
So the last content update was the final episode of season 2
Most of my friends are getting really bored of the game and I hear them complaining almost every time they bother logging on.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I`ll say this – having seen the current state of Warcraft, I`m glad I have a GW2 that hasn’t turned into a facebook game.

That being said, I haven’t actively played GW2 for a long time. I`m a WvW player primarily and I go all out for the tournaments….but it has been almost a year, I think, since the last one.

The pace of content creation in the game is often accurately described as “glacial” and it perplexes me as to why this should be the case.

Malediktus.9250

I`ll say this – having seen the current state of Warcraft, I`m glad I have a GW2 that hasn’t turned into a facebook game.

That being said, I haven’t actively played GW2 for a long time. I`m a WvW player primarily and I go all out for the tournaments….but it has been almost a year, I think, since the last one.

The pace of content creation in the game is often accurately described as “glacial” and it perplexes me as to why this should be the case.

I believe Anet wastes too much time with iterating stuff and temporary content. There is no reason why SAB should not available 24/7. There is no reason why the crown pavillon should not be available 24/7 (if only just for the queens gauntlet). How often did they change the daily/monthly system? How often did they change the trait system? I think i could continue with this list for a while, but why bother. Everyone knows it by now.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I believe Anet wastes too much time with iterating stuff and temporary content. There is no reason why SAB should not available 24/7. There is no reason why the crown pavillon should not be available 24/7 (if only just for the queens gauntlet). How often did they change the daily/monthly system? How often did they change the trait system? I think i could continue with this list for a while, but why bother. Everyone knows it by now.

There may not be a reason from our point of view, but for Anet the reason is simple: take away SAB, and players will want for it until it returns. And when it does return? So will the players.

So even though we have this content drought, where they are not producing new content, they can withhold old content and just do temporary releases of it to keep players returning.

As a player, that really sucks. But for a gaming company, it’s a gold mine.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I don’t get it much myself either. There isn’t all that much forms of new content, the content we do have is well lame. Instances aren’t that fun, even the first time they aren’t really that fun. PvP is probably the worst aspect of the game in here. There are so many problems and issues it isn’t funny.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Except they’re not using that gold mine.
1. SAB? Nope
2. Pavilion? Nope
3. Dragon bash, even? Nope
4. Ascent to Madness Dungeon of Halloween ‘12 when Halloween rolls around? Nope
5. Retroactively replaying S1 in the world? Nope
6. Can I have Tribal Armor yet? It’s been near three years? Nope

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

1. SAB? Nope
2. Pavilion? Nope

Dragon Ball was released during Lunar New Year.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Wanze.8410

There may not be a reason from our point of view, but for Anet the reason is simple: take away SAB, and players will want for it until it returns. And when it does return? So will the players.

So even though we have this content drought, where they are not producing new content, they can withhold old content and just do temporary releases of it to keep players returning.

Might be that they dont have the server space to open SAB atm because they need it for HoT betas and development.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Might be that they dont have the server space to open SAB atm because they need it for HoT betas and development.

That would suggest a worrying problem of an entirely different type.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

So basically the op wrote 8 paragraphs about how people are mad that the devs are not releasing new content while they are working on new content?

Interesting.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

So basically the op wrote 8 paragraphs about how people are mad that the devs are not releasing new content while they are working on new content?

Interesting.

Releasing new content OR re-releasing old content such as SAB and Dragon Bash (hologram device fights could be reused).

No new content? Yeah, that’s easy to understand. But not reusing the old stuff, including the stuff that was supposedly made just so it could be reused? That’s not so easy to understand.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Interesting.

What would you prefer, having one unique meal a day and nothing between that one meal, or having a repetitive but regular source of food.

Just because they are working on new content does not mean their handling of things has been good. at the very least they could quite easily enable SAB (something the community has been demanding for a long, long time), but they don’t.

This is a double kick to the genitals of the community because not only is it well within their power to give us this content with little effort (people are just asking for rereleases, after all, nothing new) but they are consciously denying people that content despite knowing full well that the community want it. That is what I dislike about how they are handling HoT’s lead up.

This is supposed to be a time of hype and activity for GW2, but it’s driving my guild members and friends away and even turning them off of the idea of buying HoT too.

Anet seem to have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot with poor decisions and then, rather than rectifying those mistakes, covering their ears and pretending the complaints do not exist

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

ArenaNet’s just giving people what they want. People complained about the living story, so ArenaNet’s testing an expansion. What if instead of slowly releasing a season over a year, they were to instead hold everything back for a year and release it all at once? The lack of recent updates is standard for an expansion and they’re probably intentionally not bringing back other events so that they can gauge feedback – who complains more. ArenaNet likes doing surveys like this.

Moving forward however, I would expect to see them stick with expansions and feature smaller living stories and the reoccurring events to fill the time in between them. An expansion simply generates more press and the announcement of HoT was a boost in player numbers.

chronometria.3708

The expansion is a good idea, but the problem is that it doesn’t explain the content drought.

Back many months ago, we thought the lack of stuff was due to many people working on the expansion in the background. We figured it was mostly ready.

Now we are here, we don’t even have a release date….its a lot less ready than we believed.

DarkOcean.8746

While I know there had to be people that enjoyed the Lunar New Year activities, all the people I know that play this game (including myself) did not. The content was small and limited too much to PvP. I enjoyed the decorations, but that is it. Even taking the Lunar New Year into consideration, that was back in February (the festivities ended February 24th). So even if we are going to consider that a full and thorough event, we are coming on three months of nothing. That’s one-fourth of a year without recycling or adding anything new.

Games like WoW have created enough events where they almost always have something going in game. Yes, I also know that WoW is a much, much older and more refined and directed game (by this I mean that Anet played with The Living Story method until they figured they needed to create an expansion), but Anet does have some assets which have not been seen for some time that could be reused to break the monotony should they choose to do so and implement them. They choose not to, for reasons unknown to us. It does not help that their company policy is “Treat everyone like children and keep them in the dark because they will whine like children when we fall short on our promises”.

I would rather them announce projected deadlines and “fall short” rather than keep us suspended without a clue.

I would think the negative feedback they receive from their policy would be far worse than if they flipped it the other way around. It’s admirable that they attempted to innovate the information exchange, but… Anyways, that it neither here nor there.

(edited by DarkOcean.8746)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

ArenaNet’s just giving people what they want. People complained about the living story, so ArenaNet’s testing an expansion. What if instead of slowly releasing a season over a year, they were to instead hold everything back for a year and release it all at once? The lack of recent updates is standard for an expansion and they’re probably intentionally not bringing back other events so that they can gauge feedback – who complains more. ArenaNet likes doing surveys like this.

Moving forward however, I would expect to see them stick with expansions and feature smaller living stories and the reoccurring events to fill the time in between them. An expansion simply generates more press and the announcement of HoT was a boost in player numbers.

The problem is, we don’t know their future plans, except that there’s an expansion coming with no release date in sight. Whoever is in charge, keeps insisting on keeping everything secret, which is doing more harm than good, from a public relations perspective.

The funny thing is, they hyped HoT like no tomorrow, then never followed up at keeping people interested. You would think they would try to keep remaining players interested until then. It’s like the veterans are being forgotten and discarded, while they keep bringing in new players with their $10 discounts. The latest NCSoft report is bad news.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

They can just recycle events with minimal effort like Boss Blitz or new WvW seeson…

chronometria.3708

They can just recycle events with minimal effort like Boss Blitz or new WvW seeson…

The wvw season is long overdue, which really bites.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Can you people make up your minds please?
For 2 years straight – no matter what anet did – it was always: “we want an expansion, the game needs an expansion. no monthly, bi-weekly updates, we need expansions”.

Now that they are working on an expansion you want the bi-weeklies back?

I have never had a problem with the bi-weekly system, i log in every day anyhow but this post is hilarious (or sad) if you remember all the calls for an expansion.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

For 2 years straight – no matter what anet did – it was always: “we want an expansion, the game needs an expansion. no monthly, bi-weekly updates, we need expansions”.

I have never had a problem with the bi-weekly system, i log in every day anyhow but this post is hilarious (or sad) if you remember all the calls for an expansion.

Do not lump everyone into that “you people” statement. Some vocals may have asked for an expansion, but I never have. I loved the Living Story and it’s temporary status. I loved how that when things happened they were in history of “remember when the Tower of Nightmares exploded?” or “recall the 100’s and 1,000’s of dead bodies in Lion’s Arch when the Karka army invaded?” Good times, not bad.

But I suppose an Expansion is good for the game to breath back life into it. It’s just an issue that the original game gets ignored and abandoned when such expansion is announced to be in-development. And when they claimed to be so far in the progression of development of it at PAX South, only to show so many placeholders and “work in progress” and incomplete features. Really, are they even going to be ready to launch it this year at all? That is kind of a good question, right? And if it launches around the holiday season (November/December), then that is many more months stacked against the game of lacking content additions.

serenke.4806

A safe bet for launch would be the 3rd year anniversary. But before the announcement of HoT the “some vocals” have said: we need an expansion. Anet replied: we deliver content bi-weekly and cannot do expansions.

Now if “some vocals” start asking for the same bi-weekly, Anet will reply (and rightfully) that they have their hands full delivering the expansion we asked for.
And if they bring back old content then “some vocals” will cry havoc because it’s “lazy, regurgitated, non-content”.

chronometria.3708

This isn’t the opinion expressed here – everyone wants an expansion, but while that happens I think its fair to expect another wvw tournament event or the return of some old but entertaining content like the SAB. As it is we aren’t even getting rehashed content like those….the wvw tournaments really are just like flicking a switch, no actual work is done for them, its automated.

So we are all quite pleased for the expansion thing, but its strange that working on it means the game is put into effective shutdown except for the gemstore….potentially for an entire years worth of time.

DarkOcean.8746

I love how people are so excited to blame “the people that wanted an expansion” for the content drought. Proudly proclaiming, as if proving some point, you are all to blame. Let us not forget that ANet has had a very large and secret project brewing in the background for years. While we do not know (because of their company policy on sharing information) if that project was Living Story Season 2, Heart of Thorns, or perhaps some other unannounced project, it is foolish to point the finger and blame those despicable other people.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I think you forgot ladder TEST season lol , seriously tho yeah its been too long , for a triple AAA title . I would like even bug fixes and QOL updates at least if no content draught continues sigh . I only log on for daily chest atm sooo boring

[WM]give us in game ladder

serenke.4806

The Witcher 3 is coming out in a week, you could play that meanwhile.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

The Witcher 3 is coming out in a week, you could play that meanwhile.

Is that the official Anet statement?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Wasn’t this exactly what those of us that preferred the Living Story system warned about when people demanded an expansion?

And the expansion people claimed that it would in no way or form change the content flow.

It is simply not feasible for a company of ArenaNets size and resources to focus on both and expansion and other content at the same time.
It is simply one or the other.

And yes, I know people will bring up the whole: “But they can re-release stuff that is already created!”. But that is assuming that it works 100% with all the new changes that have been made, something that takes time and resources to check, and if it does not work it could take weeks if not more to find and fix the issues so that it once again becomes playable.
Weeks that needs to be taken from the expansion.

Not that it really matters, because it would still only lead to people complaining about how lazy they are to only release old stuff instead of new (just look at Halloween, Wintersday and Chinese New Year).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

DarkOcean.8746

Not that it really matters, because it would still only lead to people complaining about how lazy they are to only release old stuff instead of new (just look at Halloween, Wintersday and Chinese New Year).

If only. I’d love for them to re-release Ascent to Madness. I’ve pretty much begged for them to re-release Ascent to Madness. That dungeon stole the show in 2012 (imo, of course). It’s a shame their precious new players miss out on that experience.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I really was sad/shocked when the three LS teams that were rotating content out to us ended up disappearing (most likely to work on HoT) at the end of Season 2. Plus the desire to have HoT pick up right where Season 2 left off. From a story point it makes sense, from a real life having to wait 8-10 months it makes me sad.

I’d love for a return of Dragon Bash, I love that song and still sing it from time to time. And it wouldn’t hurt it it came with an item that can eat dragonite ore to try to deal with the ~20k+ I have sitting on alts (and yes I already have 245 bricks ingots).

(edited by Wallace MacBix.2089)

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

It is simply not feasible for a company of ArenaNets size and resources to focus on both and expansion and other content at the same time.

It’s interesting to see that the much smaller ArenaNet of GW1 could, in fact, work on both a full new campaign (which was much, MUCH bigger than the Season 3 “expansion” we will get) while working on other content. Heh, they could even work on GW1 content while working on GW2.

It’s probably a sign that the new, bigger ArenaNet can work on two things – but they have chosen to work on HoT and the Gem Store instead of focusing on adding more content to the current game.

Let us not forget that ANet has had a very large and secret project brewing in the background for years.

Do people really still believe in that? The state of the expansion is a clear sign that they haven’t been working on it “for years”.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Yes.
/15charrs

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

I love GW2 with all my heart, loved LS, loved farming SW and DT, loved crafting, loved PvP, loving the devs (all of them!). But for the first time ever I’m taking a break from this beautiful game cuz I feel there’s not much I want to do right now. I’m aware developing an x-pac is tons of work, but at least small bits of new content would be nice :-( Or just some official ingame events (such as JP runs with gems for the fastest etc).

In the meanwhile I started mapping on openstreetmap cuz I can’t touch any other MMO ever again after GW2.

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Wanze.8410

Lauren, the QA Lead, made an intriguing statement yesterday about an upcoming bug fix:

It won’t be next release, but there is progress being made. This fix will debut on a release day to much fanfare though.

Maybe im interpreting too much into it but it could be that we might get a bigger release. Soonish.

Might also be only a hint that the next instrument in the gem store will be a trumpet.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

And the fun will really begin when 1-2 weeks after release of the expansion all those
people that have burned through the content cry again for new content and then
have to waiter anoter 1-2 year for the next expansion.

Btw.: for me i was totally happy with LS1 .. and would have been happy if they
had continued that concept.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Even when the expansion comes out it will be novel only for a few weeks. It’s all jungle all the time. Sure, you get little variations to the scenery, but there is no tundra, no ocean, no volcano, no desert, etc. I am glad they say there will be a ton to do. I really am. With how long this expansion is taking to make though, how tired of the jungle will I be until the next x-pac though.

Part of the allure of an x-pac is getting a ton of new areas to explore replete with different climates to mix it up. Neither of these is happening.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s interesting to see that the much smaller ArenaNet of GW1 could, in fact, work on both a full new campaign (which was much, MUCH bigger than the Season 3 “expansion” we will get) while working on other content. Heh, they could even work on GW1 content while working on GW2.

It’s probably a sign that the new, bigger ArenaNet can work on two things – but they have chosen to work on HoT and the Gem Store instead of focusing on adding more content to the current game.

Let us not forget that ANet has had a very large and secret project brewing in the background for years.

Do people really still believe in that? The state of the expansion is a clear sign that they haven’t been working on it “for years”.

GW1 maps were much much smaller than GW2’s and less involved. The same for the enemy mechanics as well. You can’t really compare how they did GW1 to GW2 no more than you can compare it to WoW.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

1. SAB? Nope
2. Pavilion? Nope

Dragon Ball and Dragon Bash are two different things. Dragon Ball is the pvp activity, while Dragon bash is/was (supposed to be) a potential recurring festival (which I think did originally release dragon ball).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

DarkOcean.8746

1. Do not quote me out of context.
2. We see what Anet wants us to see.

Tell me, what is the “state of the expansion” from the demo you have played? Or have seen? How many iterations has the expansion been through? Is it even the expansion they are referring to when they refer to their big project?

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

{sarcasm}
But we have had extensive content updates to the gem shop. I don’t see the problem here.
{/sarcasm}
I’ve only played about 4 weeks in the last 6 months, hoping for something to do other than try to make g and karma.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Anet thinks they’re keeping us occupied by watching esports tournaments on Twitch.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Azurem.9468

Azurem.9468

Lauren, the QA Lead, made an intriguing statement yesterday about an upcoming bug fix:

It won’t be next release, but there is progress being made. This fix will debut on a release day to much fanfare though.

Maybe im interpreting too much into it but it could be that we might get a bigger release. Soonish.

Might also be only a hint that the next instrument in the gem store will be a trumpet.

Not next release, but soon? Guess what was promised in 8+ weeks 6 weeks ago.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Personal-Story-Restoration-update
Exciting.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Anet thinks they’re keeping us occupied by watching esports tournaments on Twitch.

Sounds exciting! Why play when i can watch?

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

I remember Collin saying prior that there were no plansfor an expansion and would release enough content to keep us happy. The expansion is long overdue yet Anet tried to break outside “The traditional MMO” by releasing content updates every two weeks, yet it did very little to keep players logged on for hours on end aside from the Southsun event. Living story was fun but only kept me logged on to do the little things (occasional zerfest patch and two hour story event.) I guess Anet figured out it was going to take more than an injection of content to bring in the audiences. Hence, the expansion. Whether or not that was the plan, that’s the way I see it. Two week patches weren’t enough to bring in people so they used the expansion trump card to bring in the masses. Hopefully it works.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

ANet is not a small team but a micro team if you think about it. You want a good expansion AND continuous content. That can’t happen with the numbers they have.

That being said..after all the reveals for HoT, the hype for the expansion died for me.

Malediktus.9250

ANet is not a small team but a micro team if you think about it. You want a good expansion AND continuous content. That can’t happen with the numbers they have.

That being said..after all the reveals for HoT, the hype for the expansion died for me.

300 employes is more than a micro/small team.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

No..for an mmo and for the CONSTANT demands and expectations of an mmo that IS a micro team. For a single player that’s an OK team…but even then not that big.

Malediktus.9250

I am pretty sure there are MMOs with far less than 100 employes.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

No..for an mmo and for the CONSTANT demands and expectations of an mmo that IS a micro team. For a single player that’s an OK team…but even then not that big.

The vast majority of f2p mmo’s have developer employee numbers barely in the 10’s, let alone the hundreds

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

DarkOcean.8746

The vast majority of f2p mmo’s have developer employee numbers barely in the 10’s, let alone the hundreds

I honestly wouldn’t be super surprised if Anet was working on GW3 at this point…