HoT Forced Abandonment and Investment Loss

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

I understand why some HoT maps force players to leave (in 60 minutes) at times. If enough players leave after a certain point, the map will close in order to keep the player count high.

Many of these forced closings happen often when map objectives are met. The map goes from day to night, everyone gets their participation rewards and some leave for other activities. The map wants to close. Those of us left behind must either leave or hope enough players arrive to fill the map back up before we are forced out.

I can accept the reasons for the change. What I cannot accept is the loss of my time invested in participation, especially if I am willing to keep participating. If I must go to another identical map that may not be as progressed as the one I’m leaving, why must I lose all of the time invested in my participation on that map? This effects my rewards from what I understand. The more I participate, the better my rewards will be.

My participation is my personal investment. I should not lose that because others no longer wish to continue playing. Map progression is a group dynamic effort which progresses, or not, with players coming and going.

I would suggest letting players keep their participation level upon map change as long it is to an identical map.

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

(edited by GamerOnline.3650)

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

+1, this is pretty kittening.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

You do realise this is system-wide and nothing per se to do with HoT, yes?

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

Agree with you OP, participation should be independent of map instance, with a warning that it will be lost if travelling to another zone.

Plus I feel like the map meta’s should have just used the same map rewards system as central Tyria, rewarding players on a personal basis for time invested into events in those regions, rather than the tier rewards.

Participation in events during a meta cycle could still count toward a final reward but making it independent of instance would be a huge QoL upgrade.

IMO the map rewards system would help reduce maps cluttered with afk players waiting on rewards after getting 100% participation early in the cycle.

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

That would make the problem/issue bigger than I had originally thought.

It’s certainly very visible on the HoT maps. We can mouse over our mini-map to see our participation information and map progress. We can even track them with optional progress bars shown next to our mini-map.

When you say system wide, do you mean for any map that has a progression mechanic in place for the entire map? Silverwastes or Dry Top for example? If normal core game maps are using this, how so?

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

(edited by GamerOnline.3650)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It has a lot to do with HoT. To be more precise, while it is indeed a general and older system, it is completely incompatible with the map participation systems first tested in SW and fully introduced with HoT. It worked somehow with SW, but only because a system there was dtill very crude, had a limited usefullness and the participation meter was easy and fast to max out. With new maps it’s not the case.

Making the progress transferable upon map instance change would definitely improve the system.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This is a huge problem. I’ve had this happen twice now. The first time I saw the message and decided to move. I lost all participation, ended up on a map with LESS people, and received no rewards for the map.

The second time I was screw that, x’d out the message and kept playing. I was rewarded by the map force closing on me, stripping me of all participation, putting me on a map with less people and receiving no reward for the meta event.

I’ve decided to just stop playing HoT meta events until this is fixed.