HoT Pre-purchase up now.

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Quintuplebeta.3914

Quintuplebeta.3914

I think with all the flakk they are getting they will make a slightly discounted version for people who already have the game.

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I think with all the flakk they are getting they will make a slightly discounted version for people who already have the game.

Somehow I doubt it with all the people who’ve already purchased it at this point.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Depends on how confident they are that people will buy it anyway. When it comes to gamers as a collective entity, what they say and what they do are completely separate things and there is the memory of a gold fish …

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Lampshade.7569

Lampshade.7569

That would mean returning money, not gonna happen. However, giving people who upgrade bonuses and applying them retroactively would be at least a . . . . . . . . well, images of someone trying to tape shut an artery keep popping up in my head, I guess I got nothing.

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Uproller.1849

Uproller.1849

They cannot. If not the people who just brought it will start to riot and its even more rioting

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

As much as $50 does not seem inappropriate for an MMO expansion I do believe that it should come with a character slot (perhaps even one exclusive to the new class) as a new profession is a significant selling point of the expansion. Charging $50 for the expansion and then charging more to actually use a feature of the expansion seems a bit off to me.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Sorry Anet, my hype just died.

50€ is way too much for this expansion especially considering that it doesn’t even come with a free character slot which a lot of us need to play the new profession.
Drop the price, throw in a free character slot and I am in. Otherwise, there is no chance in hell.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

1) Pre-purchasing games and or content is not something we as gamers should support.

2) Paying for betas is not something we should support.

3) $50 for a mediocre sized expac? Might just spend $50 on steam sale and get a whole lot more content instead.

Serenity now~Insanity later

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

You guys are forgeting one thing.
This is a PRE PURCHASE,you are basically paying to get free beta keys. You are playing before other people do.

Of course when the expansion is released they will release a upgrade option for way less than 50$ lol.

Pre purchases are always a bit expensive than the game itself after being released.

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Ashen.2907

This is a PRE PURCHASE,you are basically paying to get free beta keys. You are playing before other people do.

Of course when the expansion is released they will release a upgrade option for way less than 50$ lol.

Pre purchases are always a bit expensive than the game itself after being released.

Anet has said otherwise.

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Anet has said otherwise.

Anet might say differently if sales don’t go as well as anticipated.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Yes, obviously. I don’t suspect we will be seeing $49.99 price tags on GW2: Heart of Thorns copies on the shelf of Target in 2017…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

I’ve seen this post flooded with mostly negative comments about the price without a whole lot of rationale. I highly doubt ArenaNet will read this but it’s worth a shot. I’ve been an avid Guild Wars fan for years now as I played the first installment quite religiously. As it currently stands, I do not see how the $50-100 price tag for an expansion is warranted. This is an expansion, not a brand new standalone campaign like Factions or Nightfall was in Guild Wars 1. I don’t recall the previous post outlining what Heart of Thorns will entail but it doesn’t seem to come close to what the base game has offered. Don’t quote me on this, but HoT will have what, 10 new maps/zones? One new profession? Masteries? Continued story? I know there are some other smaller-scale features/content. How does this compare to the cost of Guild Wars 2 as a base game? You’re paying more for less as the base game itself fluctuates from $10-40. There is so much more in the base game for less cost.

Look at Guild Wars 1. Eye of the North was the only “expansion” which features a medium amount of content and storyline but the cost was less than the cost of the campaigns upon release. If I recall correctly, the campaigns were generally $40-50 at around release. The expansion was $20-30. Now I also realize that the price of the GW1 games are 5+ years old. Games have gone up since then but not to this large of a degree. Maybe I am missing something with the Heart of Thorns pricing but an expansion costing more than the base game (which has a fraction of the content that the base game has) seems rather ludicrous.

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Ashen.2907

Anet has said otherwise.

Anet might say differently if sales don’t go as well as anticipated.

Of course. A business always has the option to alter pricing models based on sales trends.

The person I quoted said what WILL happen, which is contradicted by what Anet is currently saying.

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Jade Arkadian.9280

Jade Arkadian.9280

Funny, i though prepurchased games were slighty cheaper because you are still founding its development. Last time i prepurchased a game, i was offered a 17% discount…and yes im talking about Witcher 3

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

That’s something I really don’t get.

Since when did being a beta tester become something you pay to do?

Isn’t it bad enough that companies don’t pay their beta testers, anymore, without making them pay them?

It’s a pretty hilarious situation, frankly.

Not that I, necessarily, think they’re doing that here; but the fact that some people pay for beta keys, in general, surprises me.

…and yes, I get that some people do it to get a headstart on how to master the content, but that isn’t good for games, either, IMO.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: shava.3502

shava.3502

Sometime back (retired now) I was the VP of Marketing for an entertainment marketing group. Just to do some mindreading here, having pondered this most of the day…

HoT is be offered in these packages for pre-purchase, and they are taking great pains to differentiate this from pre-order, in that you get the benefit of your order within hours of your purchase. As a marketing type, I read that as a signal that later they will come up against a similar furor as we’re seeing today when after HoT is released, they drop the price for the expansion only, and say “Well, we said that was the only pre-purchase edition, and it was.”

So it’s likely they will just ride this out and ride out the storm later and the people who buy now will be smug now and kittened off later. And Arenanet will get everyone’s money, and from some of us with multiple accounts, multiple times — and they will be the only ones living happily ever after.

This is why they run a company, and we spend all our time playing games.

HoT Pre-purchase up now.

Posted by: Raven.3957

Raven.3957

All I have to say on this topic is if anet was gonna give the core game away for “free” with the expansion, why would they make a sale on it a month or two before they released that information…

“Hey everyone, come give us 20$ for the WHOLE GAME! Its an amazing deal!” (It really is)

Then a few months later.. “Oh the expansion is 50$.. and the core game is free!”

So.. you paid an extra 20$ just to play the game a month or two earlier then you would have. Or even worse, if you bought the game to get up to par for the expansion at FULL PRICE then got sacked with this. “Hai, just paid 40$ to play Gw2.. Now I have to pay 50$ to play HoT!”

The only excuse anet could possibly offer is the “Your getting benefits of early access and special titles, thats what your really paying for!”

And I could retaliate with

Anet, your getting willing and able people to TEST your game FOR YOU, live! Your titles are not worth 50$… If there was ever a gem store sale for a title like “Gem Buyer” and it was like 4000 gems.. Anyone caught wearing said title would be socially outcast as the typical n00b p2p’er.. “Nice sunrise, did you buy it with your mommys credit card? LOL” and etc.

Anet has always been about giving us stuff and content without charging. Honestly I’ve gotten more then my moneys worth out of the first Gw2 release, and that amazing sense of worth is the only reason I’ve put any money into the gem store to get a cool skin here and there. Because i’m getting a cool skin, AND supporting an awesome game.

For anet to start “acting like all the other mmo’s” when their whole thing was supposed to be breaking the mold and being better then the rest.. Sure, your gonna get away with charging me 50$ because I cant stop you or change your mind.. But instead of spending 50 more dollars or more in the gemstore, I’m gonna consider all that as “you got your money out of me when I bought the game.”

Charging me more and not charging me a subscription fee is like just charging me a really small subscription fee all at once.

If anything i’m not disappointed in the price so much so as I am how anet is going back against the foundation of what they believed and preached to us from the start. A wonderful and potent MMO that moved away from the standards that WoW set into play years ago.

Btw, I think I paid like 40$ for WotLK back when it came out (And the last WoW expansion I ever bought.). and it was ONLY for the expansion. So is 50$ lot of money for an expansion?.. Maybe a bit higher then I expected.. But the real question shouldn’t be “is Arenanet charging me too much for Gw2:HoT?”… The REAL question is:

“Is Arenanet turning into Blizzard?”